Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

3.75/5  rDev -17%

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Stevedore for sharing such a treat. Poured into a Cantillon fruit lambic glass

Beer pours a hazy grapefruit juice color. Very interesting. I've never seen a beer that looks like this. Fizzy and intriguing. A red/purple glow permeates the beer.

Smells pretty damn sour. Lactic and green apple skin. Of course, a nice blueberry scent. It's not a sweet blueberry preserve smell, but instead a fresh tart blueberry smell.

Taste matches the smell. There are tart fresh blueberries, heavy lactic, some vinegar, some lemon, some green apple skin. There is funk in here, but to me it is covered by the flavor. Quite sour. Most sour beer I've had next to Beat.

Mouthfeel is medium, fizzy, and finishes pretty dry. I get one of those "I want more" sensations after each sip due to the lactic and dry finish.

Overall, this was very impressive.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml bottle, with vintage '12 written in silver on the label, generously traded to me by Brian who is such a great Beer Advocate for giving me this opportunity to drink a beer I'll probably never have a chance to drink again. Seriously. Thanks again, Brian, aka 4DAloveofSTOUT. Poured into a Cantillon wine glass tday, 9/15/2013, which is my first ear anniversary. Review #208.

Okay, so this beer pours something amazing. Its like this ruby grapefruit colour, so orange yet so purple at the same time. I cannot truly describe how great this beer looks. It pours with a typically Cantillon effervescent sour head that retains very well with a great film on top. Its just truly a great looking beer, even compared to Fou' Foune.

Smell on this is interesting. I can definitely smell that brewery funk; it takes me back to the brewery even more than Classic Geuze does. It's just funky, yet has that tart, ripe blueberry flavour that truly takes this beer somewhere else. The blueberries are there in such a way that Fou' Foune's apricots are, such that it doesn't take away from that Cantillon prototypical funk, but it adds so much more to it. Not gonna lie, this smells sour and just tasty at the same time.

Flavour is even better than the smell. It's not the most sour beer I've ever had (that still belongs to Beatification b5) but it is just so complex and well-melded together... only second to Fou' Foune's apricots. It's sweet yet so damn sour at the same time.. while spewing out that classic Cantillon earthy funkiness. This is where I realize that the rarity itself on this beer is not the only thing driving this beer's ratings up, this beer stands very well on its own. No question about it.

Mouthfeel is typical Cantillon. Medium bodied yet so smooth and well-carbonated. The aftertaste is that classic Cantillon funkiness, horseblankets and barnyard flavour straight up. I can't imagine 3F doing anything better than this, because I'm just a huge fan of that Cantillon funk. Probably because of the great memories behind our trip to Cantillon in Anderlecht.

Okay, so I can honestly say that this is beer really lives up to the hype on its own merits, because that blueberry sweet AND sourness contributes a lot to this beer, more so than Bordeaux grapes or more cherries have done. I wish Cantillon would make a year-round blueberry lambic so that we could get this one more easily. Its an über whale because of its several hundred bottles-a-year production, but I will strongly, strongly recommend that everyone who likes sours, try to get one of these bottles at least once in their beer lifetimes.

Re-review: Had the opportunity to sample 2011, 2014, and 2015 vintages. Stemmed glass 4/30/2016. I specifically would like to state that the 2015 fresh vintage was excellent, and may reach the level that the 2011 bought. Specifically, the blueberry fruit was pungent on the nose and to a lesser extent, the palate. Blueberry seems to be a difficult one to pull the essence out of in beer, but this is a pretty good example when done right. The 2015 had a nice big presence to go with the underlying Cantillon funk, and 2011 retained that strong blueberry depth while funking up some more. However, the 2014 was underwhelming in terms of the blueberry. Not sure if it is the lack of blueberry flavours period (harvest related?) or if it has to do with the background of the lambic. Either way, I did not think 2014 was worth going after, but 2015 has the potential to do well with time, and perhaps as well as the 2011 did.

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A huge, HUGE thank you to the most awesome Jeffo for casually tossing this in the box he sent in probably the biggest trade I've done. I just about fell off my chair when I pulled this out, my biggest want for as long as I can remember.

3rd 40th birthday beer of the day. 2011 375ml bottle.

Appearance. Pours a nice looking, hazy, purplish-pink with s finger + of pink head with a hint of blue.

Smell. Nice and sour with that great woody funk, classic cantillon funk that is. Sour blueberries are there for sure ...the little wild sour ones that grow on the mountain, not the big fat sweet ones that are farmed out this way. Not sure what else to say, blueberry cantillon lambic, fuck yeah.

Taste. Oh man, sour blueberries, so tasty. Lots of that nice woody funk that anyone who's tried Cantillon knows and loves. It's a medium level of sourness and the blueberries are there, but a little more faint than I had imagined. Not like blueberry juice or anything, just amazing lambic complimented with the nice blueberries.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body, fine medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Expectations were high and I was not let down. Fantastic stuff. Wish it was part of the regular line up. Again, huge cheers to Jeffo for this bottle of blueberry heaven.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Review from notes. Much thanks to Paul for sharing this with me!

A: Pours a nice light purple color with a thin white head on top, mostly forming a ring. Thin lacing with nice retention.

S: Fantastic fruity aroma. Lots of blueberries with a bit of sour/funk typical of Cantillon offerings. There is a bit of cheese that comes out as it warms.

T: Jammy blueberries with a slight tartness. Nice funk/cheese on the flavor as well, which blends nicely with the fruit for a fantastic flavor profile.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not overly tart, slightly dry.

O: An amazing beer. Going in I had high hopes, which were tempered from others who have had the beer previously. I will agree that it is amazing, but I would rather drink other Cantillon beers which take less effort/cost to get.

3.5/5  rDev -22.6%

4.39/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

375ml

I couldn't wait to try this beer with my affinity for blueberries and Alex hooked it up yet again, thanks! I've never seen a beer pour quite like this one. The body glows rusty red with definite grape juice-like highlights throughout. Little chunks of blueberries float throughout the body and can be easily seen through the fairly clear liquid. The head is what makes this beer stand out like no other. A thick, fizzy cap has good staying power and shows off an incredible purple fizziness. I've never seen a head that's taken to the color of berries used as much as this lambic does.

The aroma is out of this world mouthwatering. There's that familiar Cantillon funkiness with all the wonderful dusty attic qualities and slight lemon acidity. Over the top of the funk are handfuls and handfuls of perfectly ripe, pungent blueberries. The funk runs deep below the blueberries and deeper pulls send off some cobwebs and wet rock with a slight wheaty twang. This doesn't have the huge funkiness of some other Cantillon products but the blueberries are showcased incredibly well.

The flavor can't quite stand up to the otherworldly aroma but comes awfully close. The blueberries aren't as vivid as the nose led me to believe but the flavor becomes more of a balance between the semi-tart blueberries and Cantillon funk. Mineral qualities abound with the always noted wet rock. Dusty barnyard aromatics more in the line of old wood than the usual horseblanket. Some lemon acidity kicks in and there's a decent amount of lactic sourness. The blueberries are still the showcase but balance more so than the aroma led me to believe.

The body is right where it should be with this lambic, light and airy. The carbonation shows a liveliness that pushed things through and manages to scrub the tongue clean for the next swig. A mild sweetness starts things off but quickly moves into the moderate tartness pushing through the finish before another quick flash of sweet counteracts the sour.

Drinkability is through the roof. It's hard to even set the glass down, which I didn't do at all but tried plenty. The tartness is super refreshing while the touch of sweetness keeps it from ravaging the tastebuds. I could drink this beer all day long if was allowed, no question.

I've been looking forward to drinking this lambic for ages now and can't thank Alex enough for sharing a bottle. Hopefully I come across more in the future. Blabaer is another homerun hit by the incredibly imaginative guys over at Cantillon, keep 'em comin'!

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon