Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Served in a Sweetwater mini-snifter.

Gotta say, I sure as hell didn't expect this guy to drop in my lap the way it did. My thanks go out to whomever it was that shared the bottle with me. It pours a clear deep indigo topped by a finger or so of light purple-ish foam. The nose comprises funky blueberries, light tobacco, and plenty of farmhouse-style funk. A hint of vinegar seeps in the back door. The taste brings in more of the same, with that vinegar coming in stronger, though not strongly enough to properly usurp. The tartness is a lot lower than I expected, though there's definitely some tannic qualities to be found. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a lightly sticky finish. Overall, while this was a generally enjoyable beer, it came nowhere near to living up to the hype surrounding it. I can't for the life of me fathom why so many would stop at so little to obtain what I thought to be something just pretty good. To each their own, I suppose...

4.21/5  rDev -6.9%

The pour is a nice light purple color mixed with red highlights and an odd colored head--purple-pink almost. The aroma is what you expect from classic cantillon.Not a ton of blueberry aroma I would say, but a definite fruity scent does arise now and then. Slight funk. Flavor was almost delicate, tartness is more restrained than in most of their beers; a mix of light berry flavors with a decent smack of tartness and the inevitable funk. I really like how subdued this beer is and think it is wonderfully crafted.

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml into a tulip, this is a 2011.

Pours a deep purplish, crimson color with a light pink head of about a finger. Head sticks around for a bit, then dies down to a light foaming around the edges of the glass.

Big horsey funk and mild blueberry jam on the nose. Some vinous notes, plenty of sour and a touch of oak tannin. Much funkier than I expected.

Huge vinous notes with a bit of blueberry. Lots of funk on the tongue as well, and plenty of barrel and sour notes. Not a super balanced taste, gives way to much more funk than fruit in my opinion.

Spritzy and medium body with a very dry finish. Spot on for a lambic.

Good funk with a mild blueberry presence among oak and vinous notes. Overall, I would say this does not live up to the hype. Is it an outstanding beer? Of course. But don't trade away the farm. Try it if you have the opportunity but don't lose sleep over it.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

375ml bottle, out of my HFS stemware. Special thanks to my fiancee for bringing these back from Copenhagen.

A- The most beautiful ruby purplish color. Pours with a nice light bubbly purple head as well. It is little murky looking. Exactly what you'd expect from blueberry juice.

S- I get some blueberry, vinous notes, and plenty of sour funk. Very typically of most cantillon beers I've had in the past. Very well balanced between the funk/fruit/sourness.

T- A heavy acidity immediately sweeps through my mouth, very tart and vinegary. Follows up with with tastes of blueberry skins, and hints of funk. The aftertase lingers for a while, and really holds a lot of blueberry flavor. Extremely well balanced flavor for a sour.

M- Pretty much perfect. Good carbonation, body, and profile. It is very complex and transitional, while not overpowering the palate. Just the right amount of funk and sourness.

O- Overall the balance of this beer is really what amazes me. To some degree I expected a bit more blueberry flavor, but this was very pleasant and tasty. The blueberry came out more as it warmed up a bit, and it really became pleasant. One of my favorite Cantillons to date, if not my favorite.

-Gfunk

2.26/5  rDev -50%

A - purplish color with a pink head, nice in appearance
S - smells of vinegar with some lingering blueberry, not appealing at all
T - Slight blueberry, lots of vinegar. I poured mine into the dump glass.
M - On par with the style.
O - This was compared next to a home brew, both smelled strongly of vinegar, I had a hard time telling which one I liked better, and both saw the dump glass. They were served blind but it was let known that one of them was Blabaer, very disappointing. Ending my search for this beer now.

2.37/5  rDev -47.6%

2012 vintage, 375ml
It's a nice purplish red color with a ring of pink foam. Smells of vinegar and blue cheese. Tastes of vinegar and a touch of fruity sweetness. It's quite dry and acidic. This is not good. I hope other vintages are good, otherwise this beer is seriously mediocre and y'all are deceiving thyselves

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

HUGE thanks to GrumpyOldTroll for sharing this long time want with me. enjoyed from a zwanze day glass. Notes from 8/29.
750m bottle from 2011

a - deep maroon purple with a thin pink bubbly head taht hung out forever and didn't go away. streaky lacing. what a color!

s - blueberry. red wind. i just can't stop smelling it. dry. blueberry jam. some creaminess.

t - some blueberry on the taste. very red wine and extremely smooth and creamy...the creaminess actually gives it a bit of a white wine characteristic so kind of like red wine crossed with white wine and blueberries tossed in the mix.

m - prickly carbonated feel. pretty dry, but soft and creamy. just a hint of sourness...really easy to drink.

o - overally, what a great lambic. perhaps a great gateway sour as it isn't really sour at all, but rather fruity. not overly sweet. just right. really really solid. i can't decide if it lives up to the hype as the hype is so intense on this beer, but what a hell of a beer.

3.88/5  rDev -14.2%

2011 vintage, generously provided by Rich. Thanks a bunch for sharing this treat Rich!

A-No head on the pour, but it is a beautiful deep purple red in color. It is slightly hazy in clarity, it looks stunning.

S-For being a year old at this point, there is still quite a bit of blueberry in the nose, much more than I remember when I originally tried this last year. Plump blueberries and some yogurt character.

T-Blueberry is a little more subdued in the flavor, but is still quite present. There is also lemon rind, oak, and a generous amount of funk.

M-Light mouthfeel, good acidity, lower carbonation, and a moderate lingering finish.

O-One of the better fruit lambics Cantillon makes, but in term of fruit lambics I think I still prefer Fou Foune, Saint Lamnivus, and Lou Pepe Kriek.

Note: I had a 2012 vintage the following day and found the blueberry to be much more faint in the '12. I assume that the recipe is pretty consistent batch to batch, so I found it peculiar that I found the blueberry to be more prominent in the older batch than the new one.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle shared at Woodshop 7 at Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach. Pours a lovely dark strawberry/raspberry color. Deep strawberry aroma with accents of blueberry and acai. Blueberry and acai come through a lot in the flavor with a soft acidity. A really nice sour.

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dang!

Review # 444. Huge thanks to Steasy66 for sharing this beer. I am glad that I know the right people!

Deep pink-purple hued with a light purple head. Good head and good retention. Very clean aroma with no vinegar whatsoever, an instant hit in my book. Somewhat sweet with tart and bright berry notes and only mild hints of funk.

Taste is a clean, lactic and mild sour with strong berry notes. Very very blueberry. I was pleasantly surprised that my "robust" palate could detect the blueberries, they must have used a lot!

Medium body, medium carbonation and a clean finish. Very very good.

4.5, 4, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance is deep blue purple with a small amount of purplish head. Nose is funk-ay!! Tons of barnyard and farmhouse. Tart blueberries are present, but funky yeast and bacteria overshadow it. Taste starts off with woody qualities and funk and becomes increasingly tart. Finish is tart and dry with tannins. Mouthfeel is medium with high carbonation. This one was a little heavier on the funky side than I expected, quite intriguing.

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to the asshole who gave me some of this beer.

A: purplish red in color. Moderately cloudy. Forms a thin but very stable bluish purple head that sticks around for the entire glass. No lacing, but none expected.

S: aroma is primarily blueberries, but "dry" blueberries if that makes any sense. Sort of like blueberry leather. Then there is a slightly acetic note with a bit of dusty basement in the mix.

T: flavor is tart, slightly vinegary, but not overly so. Again there are blueberries, but they taste like the tart, unripe, not yet sweet and juicy blueberries you usually tossin the sink and don't actually eat. There is a bit of mustiness on the finish that sticks around for bit

M: medium bodied, tart, with good carbonation. There is a surprising bitterness that accompanies this beer, bu it doesn't distract from it.

O: wel I'm glad nameless asshole brought this beer for me to taste. An interestingly rare tick, though I don't see it living up to the hype.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon