Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Reviews: 244 | Ratings: 764
4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle, 2012 vintage, at Tørst in New York.

Pours a dark blue/purple with a small light purple head, decent lacing.

Smell is initially just massive blueberry. As the beer warms, the funk really starts coming through. Get blueberry, tart apple, citrus, wet hay, musty old barn smells, some mushroom. Quite funky.

Taste is like the nose. Blueberry, tart fruit, hay, mustiness, damp mushroom, barn/forest kinds of smells. Lots of funk. Definitely more funk than the 2012 fou foune or framboos, but it doesn't really come through until it warms up. Not quite as sour as framboos, however.

Mouthfeel is very light, with decent carbonation. It's almost a little too light for my taste, though.

This beer is excellent. I feel super lucky to have gotten to try it. Can't wait to get my own bottles.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beer #4000 deserves something special. Huge thanks to DocJ007 yet again for the crazy beer he shares with us all. 375ml bottle from 2012.

Pours deep reddish purple with a one and a half finger tall white head, slowly dissipating down to a light film, leaving small webs of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smells of sweet/tart fresh picked blueberries, the ever present Cantillon musty brewery funk, some mild lactic sourness, yogurt and finally some grains. Taste follows the same path with plenty of tart blueberries and lactic sourness up front followed closely by the must and finally the lightly chewy grains. Feel is slightly grainy quickly being enveloped by plenty of musty sourness and slight sweetness from the berries.

Overall an excellent fruit lambic. I still prefer a few of there others more but I would never turn down another chance to try this one. Glad to finally get to try it, thanks again Justin!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml bottle, with vintage '12 written in silver on the label, generously traded to me by Brian who is such a great Beer Advocate for giving me this opportunity to drink a beer I'll probably never have a chance to drink again. Seriously. Thanks again, Brian, aka 4DAloveofSTOUT. Poured into a Cantillon wine glass tday, 9/15/2013, which is my first ear anniversary. Review #208.

Okay, so this beer pours something amazing. Its like this ruby grapefruit colour, so orange yet so purple at the same time. I cannot truly describe how great this beer looks. It pours with a typically Cantillon effervescent sour head that retains very well with a great film on top. Its just truly a great looking beer, even compared to Fou' Foune.

Smell on this is interesting. I can definitely smell that brewery funk; it takes me back to the brewery even more than Classic Geuze does. It's just funky, yet has that tart, ripe blueberry flavour that truly takes this beer somewhere else. The blueberries are there in such a way that Fou' Foune's apricots are, such that it doesn't take away from that Cantillon prototypical funk, but it adds so much more to it. Not gonna lie, this smells sour and just tasty at the same time.

Flavour is even better than the smell. It's not the most sour beer I've ever had (that still belongs to Beatification b5) but it is just so complex and well-melded together... only second to Fou' Foune's apricots. It's sweet yet so damn sour at the same time.. while spewing out that classic Cantillon earthy funkiness. This is where I realize that the rarity itself on this beer is not the only thing driving this beer's ratings up, this beer stands very well on its own. No question about it.

Mouthfeel is typical Cantillon. Medium bodied yet so smooth and well-carbonated. The aftertaste is that classic Cantillon funkiness, horseblankets and barnyard flavour straight up. I can't imagine 3F doing anything better than this, because I'm just a huge fan of that Cantillon funk. Probably because of the great memories behind our trip to Cantillon in Anderlecht.

Okay, so I can honestly say that this is beer really lives up to the hype on its own merits, because that blueberry sweet AND sourness contributes a lot to this beer, more so than Bordeaux grapes or more cherries have done. I wish Cantillon would make a year-round blueberry lambic so that we could get this one more easily. Its an über whale because of its several hundred bottles-a-year production, but I will strongly, strongly recommend that everyone who likes sours, try to get one of these bottles at least once in their beer lifetimes.

Re-review: Had the opportunity to sample 2011, 2014, and 2015 vintages. Stemmed glass 4/30/2016. I specifically would like to state that the 2015 fresh vintage was excellent, and may reach the level that the 2011 bought. Specifically, the blueberry fruit was pungent on the nose and to a lesser extent, the palate. Blueberry seems to be a difficult one to pull the essence out of in beer, but this is a pretty good example when done right. The 2015 had a nice big presence to go with the underlying Cantillon funk, and 2011 retained that strong blueberry depth while funking up some more. However, the 2014 was underwhelming in terms of the blueberry. Not sure if it is the lack of blueberry flavours period (harvest related?) or if it has to do with the background of the lambic. Either way, I did not think 2014 was worth going after, but 2015 has the potential to do well with time, and perhaps as well as the 2011 did.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Graciously shared by Sean9689 at Zwanze Day 2011. This has been a long time want/tick. Thank you again! 2011 750ml bottle.

Appearance – Pours into a Cantillon tulip with an utter amazing dark blue/purple color. About a half finger of purple head that dissipates at an average pace leaving slight nifty looking lacing. Side note, as I drank this there were bits of berry that got stuck on the glass…awesome.

Smell – Lots of fruit; quite obviously blueberry. A wonderful tart and barnyard funk aroma. Leather, lemon peel, and more blueberry.

Taste – A nice puckering up front with loads of berry flavor. A slight barnyard funk flavor such as wet hay and leather. A hint of acidic characteristic, lemon zest, oak, and tannic qualities.

Mouthfeel – Lighter medium bodied, plentiful carbonation, finishes a hint dry and acidic.

Overall – I was thoroughly impressed with this beer. It was everything I was hoping and expecting it to be. To be honest, I recently went international to get a 33cl of the 2011. That said, I will admit this beer was not insanely better than other Cantillon’s I have had. While it is different with the variation of berries, the 2003 Lou Pepe Framboise I had recently was more mouth puckering and sour. Since I have had this beer fresh, I will now age the bottle I own. Still, a fantastic beer.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a rich bluish, purple with healthy blueberry yogurt head. Bottom of cork and nose smells like spontaneous funk with minimal barnyard mustiness but with healthy blueberry aroma. Taste is young lambic citric acidic sourness with big tannic presence, a bit of lacto, and slight but real blueberry undertones. Mouthfeel is full but the finish is very bitter and dry. Overall, this is one of the best blueberry beers I've had but it's a difficult fruit to conquer. Age would tone down the bitterness and let the lambic base come around but would likely diminish the amazing nose and kill the fruit from the taste. Great beer but I prefer many of Cantillon's other offerings.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Small 2009 corked and capped bottle, poured into a tulip.

The presentation is gorgeous, with a deep glowing burgundy color, similar to fresh wine, but better, considering the off white, pink stained cap that holds reasonably well despite the soft carbonation.
The aroma is great as well, the blueberries are just an accent, as opposed to some fruit beers that are plain overdone. Funky, leather, sour and acidic notes, some phenol can be noted as well.
Medium bodied, refreshing despite again soft carbonation that does go well with the flavor; this is bone dry, somewhat tart and quite acidic; the blueberries lend a rare slightly sweet note, but it is always dry, tart and acidic. Long and pleasant after taste.
A great beer, wish I had a full case to partake during summer. The fruit here comes the way I like it, as a contributing flavor as opposed to a dominating one obscuring all the good beer notes.

Review #150!

Huge thanks to Alex (MasterSki) for opening this one at our wild/sour tasting. 2009 Batch 4, poured from 375ml bottle into Bell's Tulip.

A - Pours purple/dark blue with a pink fluffy head. Lots of sticky lacing is left behind once the head dies down a bit. The look of this beer is unlike anything I've ever seen...something to be seen, no doubt about it!

S - Blueberry funk/tart, mellow sweetness, and light acidic notes. It's hard to put into words the perfection of this blueberry lambic, so pardon me if I just comment how awesome it is by saying, "it's awesome".

T - Well, what do you think it tastes like? Uh...blueberries? Yeah, I'd say so. Sweet blueberries, sour blueberries, funky blueberries. However you'd like your blueberries, this lambic dishes it out. A nice acidic bite but nothing too strong. This one stays pretty mellow when compared to the nose.

M - Light, nice fizzy carbonation that cover the palate well. This is a great beer to swish around on your mouth and enjoy slowly. A nice rich finish, that I really enjoy.

D - So easy to drink, I already want another all to myself!

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Funny that the description on BA says “blueberry lambic” while Blabaer is Danish for Bilberry, a quite different berry with a significantly different taste. But let’s stop the language course of the review and focus on the beer :) 2010 vintage
Look: The beer pours a deep blue-purple color with a nice light purple-pink head, wow!
Smell: Funky, light oak and fruity with lemon and Bilberries, less vinegar (lactic tartness) than the average Cantillon beer.
Taste: Full of funk flavours, tart berries and other sour fruits (apple, lemon). The barrel (oak) is more present in the taste than in the smell. The finish is dry and tart with even more Bilberries appearing.
Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.
Overall: What a great beer, looking forward to traveling to Copenhagen and pick up the 2011 version

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottle. Cork says bottled in 2010. Pours a really nice slightly hazes purple color with a pinkish head that both coasters and collars around the glass. Classic cantillon aroma with sour/tart notes but with the addition of subtle blueberries. Slight barnyard as well. Light mouhfeel with good carbonation. Starts sweet upfront with subtle blueberries and lemon zest. Not mouth puckering but for sure both sour and tart. Some barn type flavors as well. No real alcohol flavors. I can see why people chase this beer down as it is exceptionally good. I feel bad having to take this off my gots as this is my only one.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Batch 004, thanks Brad. Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is ruby red, hazy, completely beautiful. Forms a pink head (pretty big) of medium bubbles.

Beer is superbly pungent. Tons of sour coming through, acetic and lactic with some funky woodsiness that pulls the whole thing together. I could smell this all day long.

Beer is thin and light in body. Carbonation in the mouth props the body up a bit. Very sour and tart, good fruit character. I could session this all day long. Know where I can get a keg of this stuff? If I had to criticize it I would say it finishes too quickly due to the low body. I know lambics are suppose to attenuate out at a gravity near that of water, this one seemed thinner than others. If it had a little more to it, slightly more body, I feel the fruit would have popped more. Enough complaining though. This was the best lambic I've ever had and would drink it again, buy it again, trade for it again, fly to Europe to buy a bottle.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

inflatablechair popped this bottle at a recent tasting!!! I knew he was going to, but it was a secret ;-) to Jeremy and Eric.. Fucking badass Sam!!

Very hazy purple.. no real head despite a nice carbonation...

Nose is tart fruit with quite a bit of barnyard and horsey funk.. fruity and funky and a great complexity.. smells very sour.. more sour than funky.

Flavor is flashed with true "fresh wild" blueberry.. but the lambic components are abundant in the front and mid palate.. Not as sour as I was expecting.. instead a really tart/tannic fruit skin sorta sucks the saliva from my head.. lite lactic.. but never acetic.. The funk is surprisingly mild in my mind. very well balanced.

I am amazed this was not more SOUR ... this is far and away the least sour fruited Cantillon that I've ever had... yet the blueberries really do a number on the style... marvelous and worthy of the hype... fruity, tannic, mild woody, and brilliant.

Fuck, Sam... I don't know how to follow up this surprise.. I need to try... back to the drawing board.

4/4.5/5/4/4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the pleasure of tasting several bottles ( 75cl & 37.5cl) of this fine fruit Lambik; vintage 2007 Batch 1 & 2. Pours a light to medium burgundy with slight white head! Has a pleasant tart funky barnyard aroma with a touch of blueberry maybe a little cranberry in the background. Gotta love this soft tart blueberry zest; just enough to cause the lips to smack with delight. Much less acidic and sour than some other Cantillon fruit Lambics though. The mouth feel was pleasant with some carbonation along with a perfect balance of Blueberry tartness/acidity. This is definitely one of the best fruit Lambics on the market today. Thanks Jeppe for supplying all those tasty blueberries to create such a great brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1000. I can't thank Jan enough for the opportunity to try this rarity, a 375mL bottle, 2007 vintage.

The cork came out with an impressive pop. Pours a gorgeous hazy purplish red with a fizzy lavender head that recedes fairly quickly but does hang around as a cap for the duration. Lacing is spotty.

The aroma is very interesting and the blueberries were evident right as I popped the cork and they seemed fairly sweet and sugary. However, once in the glass the aroma become much more pungent and trademark Cantillon. It's got the strong tart blueberries, a strong vinegar acidity and a healthy dose of funk. A strong, complex and overall stunning nose.

The taste is more of the same with a strong vinegar presence up front with the blueberries coming in on the tart side of things. There is a faint sweetness in there, but not nearly as sweet as that initial blueberry smell in the nose. The finish is dry with lots of funk and lots of tart fruit.

The mouthfeel is spritzy with lots of carbonation and very dry and funky on the palate.

Well, I've certainly been looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint. It's got lots of funk and vinegar but it's much more balanced (for me) than some of the other Cantillons I've had. Wonderfully balanced and deserving of the praise.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

2009 bottle - thanks to eyebrews. Shared with Nanoslug and lagradeer and served in a small taster goblet.

A - Opaque fuschia color with quick dissolving pinkish foam that settles to a thick ring - not so much in the way of lacing. Typical Cantillon look, but with bonus blueberry chunks at the bottom of the glass.

S - Lots of horsey funkiness, sour unsweetened blueberry juice, blueberry skins, a good amount of graham cracker malt, a touch of vinegar. Excellent blend of sweet, tart, and sour flavors.

T - The taste is very similar to the aroma, with minimal drop-off in depth or complexity in flavor. The aftertaste is pretty clean with some mild residual tartness.

M - Very dry finish, thicker body than I'm used to from a fruit lambic, with lower carbonation in the texture (even though the cork almost exploded out of the bottle).

D - Drinkability is terrific - I wish I had a 750ml bottle as the little tasters were a huge tease. Obviously low ABV, and lower carbonation, and amazing taste and feel conspire for an amazingly drinkable brew.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Stevedore for sharing such a treat. Poured into a Cantillon fruit lambic glass

Beer pours a hazy grapefruit juice color. Very interesting. I've never seen a beer that looks like this. Fizzy and intriguing. A red/purple glow permeates the beer.

Smells pretty damn sour. Lactic and green apple skin. Of course, a nice blueberry scent. It's not a sweet blueberry preserve smell, but instead a fresh tart blueberry smell.

Taste matches the smell. There are tart fresh blueberries, heavy lactic, some vinegar, some lemon, some green apple skin. There is funk in here, but to me it is covered by the flavor. Quite sour. Most sour beer I've had next to Beat.

Mouthfeel is medium, fizzy, and finishes pretty dry. I get one of those "I want more" sensations after each sip due to the lactic and dry finish.

Overall, this was very impressive.

4.61/5  rDev +2%

Chilled bottle into a glass (2009 vintage I believe). Shared jointly by Chad, Craig, and Jeff at Jeff's recent sour tasting. Thanks, guys.

A: Pours a murky reddish magenta body. The pour develops a finger of frothy pink head that retains moderately before lapsing into a thick collar.

S: Blueberries, funk (horse, barnyard), some lacto, oak, and leather. As I was taking these notes, I thought to myself that I liked St. Lamvinus better... In transcribing them, I'm not sure I'd still say that.

T: Tart blueberries, but I can see why Chad said they taste more like a reddish berry of some kind. It doesn't *quite* taste like fresh blueberries, unlike other fruit lambic varieties. Maybe something about the harvest for this particular beer, or the way blueberries work in this beer? Who knows. Hints of citrus. The sourness is a restrained lactic presence with some grape-like vinegar. Most of the wild flavor is funk and barnyard; the finish is VERY leathery with a mild astringency.

M: Medium-bodied, with low carbonation. Semi-dry. It cleans up pretty well, but it does start to coat the mouth.

D: This beer is immensely drinkable against some other Cantillon varieties that are intensely acetic or dry. This delivers the flavor without being so extreme that it becomes tough to finish. Cleans up well for the most part. Goes down too easily, almost.

From a 375 mL bottle, 2009 Vintage,

A: Pours a pinkish red with a medium white head, some lace. Great colour.

S: Gorgeous funk, horse blanket, leather, red currants.

T: Red currant, pomegranate, leather. Real nice lactic acid flavours.

M: Medium acidity, very long full finish, seamless integration, dry.

O: A fantastic effort, it's not crazily better than some of the more available Cantillon efforts, but this is good stuff.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

anniversary beer.

A- a beautiful deep purple, light pinkish purple head. absolutely beautiful.

S- tart blueberrys, funk, tad bit of vingar.

T- a nice tart blueberry taste... follows the nose.

M- wonderful, nice light crisp carbonation.

O- wonderful beer glad I got too try it.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing the infamous Blåbær from Brasserie Cantillon out of Belgium.

Score: 96

2012 vintage bottle served in a GLASS and enjoyed on 05/07/13. Review is from iPhone notes

Appearance: Pours a lovely Byzantium/blueberry color with a thin layer of thistle colored head. The color of the head looks like what you'd expect on the label of a fancy bath product. Average lacing, excellent retention. I adore the color on this brew! 4.5/5

Smell: Sweet and jammy blueberries mixed with that classic "Cantillon dust" aroma you get with all their other beers. Not very sour-apparent on the nose. Hint of vinegar too. Not very complex, but extremely appealing. Maybe I am just a sucker for blueberries? 4.5/5

Taste: Sweet/jammy and slightly acidic blueberries with a nice light tartnesses towards the finish. Some of that "Cantillon dust" flavor throughout as well. Drying tartness, makes for a very interesting mouthfeel. Like the nose, the taste is not very complex, but what it delivers is quite delicious! 4.75/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Sweet fruitiness and mildly acidic. Dry finish. 4.5/5

Overall: I found this brew to be absolutely delicious (albeit not overly complex), but as many have pointed out before me, this is not Cantillon's best beer (let alone their best lambic). I would absolutely love to try this one again, but it us not worth jumping through all the hoops one has to jump through in order to obtain a bottle when Fou Foune, St. Lamvinus, Vigneronne and Lou Pepe Kriek are at least as good, cheaper and easier to obtain. I'd recommend folks who have not had this beer before give it a try, as I found this beer to be world class; however, I would likewise recommend that such folks seek out a bottle with a group of friends so as to share the burden of the premium it'll take to obtain.

Cost: 46€ (approximately $60 USD) for a 750 ML, 23€ (approximately $30 USD) for a 375 ML.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

375 mL bottle poured into Delirium snifter. Batch 5 I believe (just says 2009 Vintage, so I think it could be 4 or 5). Big thanks to Maltzilla for this one.

A- One of the most unique looking beers I've had. Pours a purple-ish pink with a pale pink 1-finger head. Leaves little to no lacing.

S- Smells very acidic with lots of berries on the nose. If you handed this to me and said it was a kriek lambic, I wouldn't challenge it based on the smell. Very funky also.

T- Substantially different than the nose. The blueberries are much more pronounced than I had anticipated. I don't get a whole array of berries here, the blueberries stand alone. Also, less sour/acetic than the nose led on and a lot more funk than I had anticipated.

MF- Less carbonation than I would prefer and maybe even a little syrupy (but this could just be a function of the under-carbonation.)

D- Great, I could drink this all night. Sourness doesn't slow you down at all and the funk is heavy and nice.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750mL bottle poured into taster - 2011 vintage - thanks to Mark000

Pours a brilliant purpley blue color with a cloudy haze. Crop of white head rests on top, fading into a collar of filmy residue with spotty lacing on the glass.

Juicy blueberries in the nose with funky sourness. Soft acidity and faint sweetness, straw and wet hay. Still fruit-forward yet tart despite the year+ of age.

Blueberry-driven tartness with plenty of jammy fruit tones. The sourness builds on the palate while drinking, yielding a funky yeast and wet hay. Straw and biscuit malts with grain and more blueberries. Tart fruit skins and oak with a soft vinous character. Finishes tart and dry on the tongue.

Lighter medium body, well carbonated, bubbly and lively on the tongue. One of the best fruit lambics I've ever had, although I believe Fou Foune is still my favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

375ml bottle into a mini-nonic; the capstone of an awesome tasting.

A: Pours a clear, dark purple body underneath a vigorous, frothy light purple head. Crazy. I've never seen a beer this color, and it's amazing.

S: Classic, immense Cantillon funk, including barnyard, mustard, grape, and, yes, blueberries. Incredible.

T: Starts with fruit (blueberry), then gets sour and funky - but restrainedly so. Clean finish. Surprisingly restrained, but thoroughly delectable. So, so good.

M: Fairly light body, yet substantial, with tons of smooth, creamy effervescence. Excellent mouthfeel for a Cantillon especially.

D: I'd kill for more than a quarter of a 375. Extremely balanced for the style and brewery, I would drink this all day every day if I could.

Notes: Huge thanks to Tony for so generously sharing this, and also a shout-out to the amazing trader who threw this in as an extra. Unbelievable. I had no idea when (or if) I'd get to try this beer, and it was the most amazing surprise to see it make an appearance at this tasting. What a way to end an amazing night.

Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage, 750 ml bottle

Pours a purplish red color with a one finger pink head which fades quickly, leaving no lacing. The aroma has tart blueberries, barnyard funk, very acidic.

Tastes like tart blueberries. Acidic, and very dry. There is some barnyard funk in the taste, but not as much as there is in the aroma. The taste becomes a bit sweeter as I drink it, then goes back to being more tart and acidic. Nice and complex. Very well crafted.

Light bodied with low carbonation. Finishes dry. Very inviting and easy to drink. well worth seeking out.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared a 750mL 2013 Vintage, with a very generous friend.

- Pours a murky dark purple with a bit of pinkish white foam.
- Smell is quite mild actually, with a bit of berry and hay.
- Taste is nice tart blueberry up front with a whole bunch of musty funk behind that. Relatively low acidity and not very sour at all. The finish has a bit of an earthy bitterness. Not too dry, a little low on the carbonation, but the multiple layers of funk really make this beer unique and interesting.

- Overall quite the treat. Complex with a lot of mustiness and not overly sour which allows more of the subtle notes to come through. Obvious this beer demands a lot for trade, but glad I got to try. I've seen mention of bad things about the 2013 vintage, but I still enjoyed it a lot (I don't have a comparison with other years).

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

How lucky can one guy be? With all the talk of hunting white whales, sometimes you just need to return to the same place and eventually one will swim up on its own. One did, but I must give the credit to Danny, whom now I'm deeply indebted to. We have here a 2009 vintage coming from the 375 ml format. Ok...deep breath....on to the beer:

Looks like rosé in a glass. Ok, rosé with a tone of violet. Little of a head is produces, though it does throw a few spots of lace on the glass. But the appearance is not what makes Blåbær famous, right? For starters, check out the nose! It's outstanding. It does have a tart fruit nose, but it doesn't seem like blueberry, the fruit used to make this lambic. Sour and blanket add the missing components of a perfect nose.

Blåbær may be the least sour/tart of the Cantillon's I've had to date. Make no mistake, it is relatively tart, and fun to taste under any circumstances. Here, it does seem that there is a little blueberry presence. But more so, it seems more dominant of currents. Tart, but not the palate numbing type. Perhaps that's why this beer is so revered. The beer is soft on the palate, not as puckering as the label will make you believe, and is stimulating.

Call it delicious, and end it at that. I'll let the rest of the community dictate its delightfulness.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon