Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Reviews: 238 | Ratings: 737
4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Big thanks to Todes for sharing this rare treat, now forever immortalized in alfrantzell's epic poem 'My Blåbær'. Since his ode has rendered further extolling vapid, I will tick briefly...

A - It looks like unfiltered cranberry juice, with scant wispy head.

S - It smells of Band-Aid, generally medicinal, and of blackberry bushes and fresh picked fruit

T - Amazing; huge rustic wild berry flavor. Exceptionally balanced.

M - The best mouthfeel I've ever encountered from this style of brew. Velvety and so substantial, yet not particularly viscous

D - Insanely good.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Review #700

2009 Vintage (don't know the batch#) thanks to Mikesgroove for this one.

After I took of the cap, the cork slowly rose up, which I thought was weird. I didn't even need a cork screw and it popped off like a rocket and hit the ceiling.

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours a massive fluffy raspberry pink head. Fades to a thin layer and decent retention from there. Leaves some splattered lace. Color is a dark blackberry purple. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma: Wow, this is funky. Lots of sour acidic flavors. Leather and horse blanket. This beer is very funky and mouth watering. I get a nice amount of oak along with a decent amount of blueberries. It is smelling very fine.

Taste: This beer is very sour and acidic. A decent amount of vinegar flavors. I also get some cough syrup light flavors which I find to be odd. Lots of leather and horse blanket, maybe even some tobacco. Lots of oak flavors. If I didn't know it, it would be hard to pick out the blueberries. I get more dry cherry flavors. A very nice beer, but it isn't what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Sour with some tartness. Nothing compared to some of their other sours in terms of sourness. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry and oaky relatively sweet.

Overall, this is a solid beer, just nothing I was really expecting. I am really glad I got to try it, but I would be hard to trade off a bunch to try another bottle. Definitely worth a try. Pretty drinkable. I won't have a problem with this 375. I dig it. Very unique.

EDIT: After trying a fresh 2010 batch shared generously by kbutler1, I have come to realize why everyone loves this beer so much. Fresh blueberries dominate the nose and the taste on this batch. It has the perfect amount of sour and funk blend. It is very drinkable. This is a beer that needs to be drank fresh! The blueberries show much more and makes it a real treat.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

2011 vintage, 750 mL split two ways.

Pours a dark red, fuchsia color with a pinkish foam that settles to a thick ring. Beautiful color, when held to the light, hints of blue and purple.

The blueberry was incredibly prominent. Typical Cantillon funk, wet oak, basement blueberry skins, and graham cracker sweetness.

The taste is very similar to the aroma, but I get blueberry skins more on the finish. Not overly sour, but a great balance and blend of sweet, sour, tart and funk complexity.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, almost milky, with a very dry finish. It has a thicker body than I'm used to, but it works well here. Very drinkable.

Overall, this is incredible and met the hype for me. Really complex and unlike anything I'd normally drink, in a good way. A quite intriguing beer - I look forward to trying my other vintages.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Many thanks to Wespatrick.

A red-velvet cake, they're her favorite you know, and a lovely day for a celebration, all velvety and purplish... Only a couple soap-bubbles there, a still, beautiful maroon but blueish, like that dress at our first wedding, but no not that blueish, more of an old worn-out sweater that's so comfortable and makes me want to hold her close.
There are my old friends, the bugs, the lacto and pedio and sacchar... and my buddy Brett, of course. but they all pale in comparison. She is beautiful. There is a blueberry aroma, a true... like the purple ice cream you used to love, luscious. Creamy vanilla in there too, all of this overwhelmed by the sour, mind you. And a kiss that takes my breath away.
The flavour, a deep, heavy sour, so sour, so puckering... does anyone know before this what fermented blueberries really taste like? This is peculiar.... and exceptional.
My wits come back to me and I stare into her eyes... where did you come by this, my love? I simply have to wonder at the depth of your eyes, their fire, their beauty. And blueberries... it's going to stain my mouth, I'll be purple, everyone will know... but no matter. my heart is yours. So sour it's surprising, with a deep flavour of blue, the colour of blue, the essence.
A surprisingly full body, and of course oh-so-attractive in shape (you are beautiful my love!) and dry. Super-dry in the finish, and a light sweetness in the background that is completely overcome by the massive cocktail of sour.
I simply can't have you all the time, but you are lovely, and one day... It is wonderful. It truly deserves every bit of its reputation. And I am the luckiest man in the world.

4.71/5  rDev +4.2%

huge thanks to Sean9689 for bringing this

batch 4 2009 375ml

pour was a dark dirty murky pinkish ruby. kind of like ruby red grapefruit juice.

deep cherry and fresh blueberry with hints of sour lemon and dry oak.

up front, there was almost a bright cherry aspect going on. through the back end and the finish this ripe fresh blueberry just lingered and stuck to the tongue for plenty of wonderful aftertaste. nice light oak and sourness through out to really carry this. lots of depth in this.

light and zesty with mild to moderate carbonation. some dryness in the finish. dry blueberry in the mouth afterwards.

overall, amazing. nuff said.

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A huge, HUGE thank you to the most awesome Jeffo for casually tossing this in the box he sent in probably the biggest trade I've done. I just about fell off my chair when I pulled this out, my biggest want for as long as I can remember.

3rd 40th birthday beer of the day. 2011 375ml bottle.

Appearance. Pours a nice looking, hazy, purplish-pink with s finger + of pink head with a hint of blue.

Smell. Nice and sour with that great woody funk, classic cantillon funk that is. Sour blueberries are there for sure ...the little wild sour ones that grow on the mountain, not the big fat sweet ones that are farmed out this way. Not sure what else to say, blueberry cantillon lambic, fuck yeah.

Taste. Oh man, sour blueberries, so tasty. Lots of that nice woody funk that anyone who's tried Cantillon knows and loves. It's a medium level of sourness and the blueberries are there, but a little more faint than I had imagined. Not like blueberry juice or anything, just amazing lambic complimented with the nice blueberries.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body, fine medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Expectations were high and I was not let down. Fantastic stuff. Wish it was part of the regular line up. Again, huge cheers to Jeffo for this bottle of blueberry heaven.

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle shared between some fellow BAs. 2009 dated on the bottle.

A - Purple/maroon with reddish hues. Pink fluffy head. Visible blueberry skins in each of our glasses.

S - Sweet fruits at first, but the blueberries really come through as it warms up. Horse blanket funk and citrusy sourness.

T - Sweet fruits from the second it hits my tongue. Blueberries become more pronounced (again as it warms up) in the finish. Sour, sweet, and funky throughout.

M - Creamy, chewy, and fizzy. Great body on this one.

D - Exceptionally drinkable. Could not put this one down and could easily drink a bottle by myself.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Huge thanks to Sean for busting out this 750 at that insane tasting we will all talk about for years. This is the second of two beers I made sure to note that night.

Pours a bluish/purple with a beautiful, foamy head.

Naturally, lots of blueberries in the nose. Me, not being a sourhead, was a little anxious with this, but I didn't pick up much funk. Just juicy, farm-fresh blueberries. I seem to get more of a mixed berry whiff a bit later. I guess there is a slight vinegary component here but not enough to turn me off.

This is tart! Definitely a tad mouth-puckering. I'm getting oakiness and some leather hits, but I can't separate from those delicious blueberries!

Perfect, medium carbonation. I could drink this all mother loving day. This beer is everything I was led to believe it was. Refreshing, gorgeous, mesmerizing. Dare I say it's a gateway sour? Good luck finding this particular gate again though.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Review from notes. Much thanks to Paul for sharing this with me!

A: Pours a nice light purple color with a thin white head on top, mostly forming a ring. Thin lacing with nice retention.

S: Fantastic fruity aroma. Lots of blueberries with a bit of sour/funk typical of Cantillon offerings. There is a bit of cheese that comes out as it warms.

T: Jammy blueberries with a slight tartness. Nice funk/cheese on the flavor as well, which blends nicely with the fruit for a fantastic flavor profile.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not overly tart, slightly dry.

O: An amazing beer. Going in I had high hopes, which were tempered from others who have had the beer previously. I will agree that it is amazing, but I would rather drink other Cantillon beers which take less effort/cost to get.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

375ml bottle, out of my HFS stemware. Special thanks to my fiancee for bringing these back from Copenhagen.

A- The most beautiful ruby purplish color. Pours with a nice light bubbly purple head as well. It is little murky looking. Exactly what you'd expect from blueberry juice.

S- I get some blueberry, vinous notes, and plenty of sour funk. Very typically of most cantillon beers I've had in the past. Very well balanced between the funk/fruit/sourness.

T- A heavy acidity immediately sweeps through my mouth, very tart and vinegary. Follows up with with tastes of blueberry skins, and hints of funk. The aftertase lingers for a while, and really holds a lot of blueberry flavor. Extremely well balanced flavor for a sour.

M- Pretty much perfect. Good carbonation, body, and profile. It is very complex and transitional, while not overpowering the palate. Just the right amount of funk and sourness.

O- Overall the balance of this beer is really what amazes me. To some degree I expected a bit more blueberry flavor, but this was very pleasant and tasty. The blueberry came out more as it warmed up a bit, and it really became pleasant. One of my favorite Cantillons to date, if not my favorite.

-Gfunk

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

2009 bottle shared by jammalamma. Poured into a mini goblet. The beer pours an insane color! Light purple, hazy/foggy with light pink edges. There is a thin bubbly pink head that fades quickly to a tiny ring around the edges of the glass, leaving barely any lacing.

The smell is tart blueberries first, but they are fleeting and quickly replaced by a more sweet berry note. There is a healthy amount of oak, hay and a bit of vinegar. I can also pick up a bit of caramel or sugared candy sweetness very briefly.

The taste is much more tart than the smell let on. The tart blueberries, hay oak and funk come at you full blast. After the initial tart berry component there is a quick sweet blueberry note, but it's quickly replaced by a hint of vinegar sour and a return of the tart blueberries in the finish.

This one is very well carbonated for the style, not too much or too little, but just right. The beer has a nice dry finish and the flavors are really great, making this one highly drinkable. I would love to get my hands on another bottle. This is one of the few beers that I have had that exceeded my very expectations and all the hype.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

375ml bottle, compliments of billab914. Hats off to you, Bill for hooking me up with an elusive brew. 2009 bottle...not sure what batch it was because I couldn't read the scribble those Belgium's wrote on the side of the bottle. Poured into my town hall snifter:

A - A murky purple with nice amount of foam and nice signs of carbonation. The color reminds me of the innards of blueberry pie or a light grape juice.

S - Faint blueberries and a bit of band-aid and barnyard funk. Some citrus notes as well.

T - Flawless. Sour blueberries and bits of hay. Acidic and tannins that make my jaw lock up a bit. Very good stuff.

M - Nice and crisp. Light velvet.

D - Could drink it all the time. I've tried so hard to land this brew and now that I've had the chance to try it I can die a happy man (someday.) I don't know if I'd trade half my cellar for a bottle but worth seeking if you have the means. Thanks again Bill for the chance to try this!

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

HUGE thanks to GrumpyOldTroll for sharing this long time want with me. enjoyed from a zwanze day glass. Notes from 8/29.
750m bottle from 2011

a - deep maroon purple with a thin pink bubbly head taht hung out forever and didn't go away. streaky lacing. what a color!

s - blueberry. red wind. i just can't stop smelling it. dry. blueberry jam. some creaminess.

t - some blueberry on the taste. very red wine and extremely smooth and creamy...the creaminess actually gives it a bit of a white wine characteristic so kind of like red wine crossed with white wine and blueberries tossed in the mix.

m - prickly carbonated feel. pretty dry, but soft and creamy. just a hint of sourness...really easy to drink.

o - overally, what a great lambic. perhaps a great gateway sour as it isn't really sour at all, but rather fruity. not overly sweet. just right. really really solid. i can't decide if it lives up to the hype as the hype is so intense on this beer, but what a hell of a beer.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: beautiful finger and a half head. Strawberry colored, pinky.  Large bubbles with pink lacing, small to no legs on the lacing.  Dark purple, plum or blood red. Cloudy.
Aroma: similar to st lamvinus, blueberry, fresh not squeezed, musk with hints of barnyard and cellar, some fertilizer.  Definitely smells of fresh not so sweet blueberrys. Very little vinegar
Taste:  wow straight up blueberrys, vinegar, sour, acidic. The funk is somewhat there with a little oak
Mouthfeel:  tighter carbonation than some. The mouthfeel is medium to light.  Dry finish probably due to the acidity.
Overall: Even though this is the best Cantillon it really does not justify how saught after this beer is. Do not get me wrong, I think this beer is the best Cantillon I have tried but do not be led astray by believeing that it is soooo much better than anything else.

2009 vintage (batch 4)

A: A hazy reddish pink color with a small pink head that settles fairly quickly and leaves a ring of lacings.

S: The first thing to appear is Cantillon's funky house character of hay, earth and a hint of vinegar. Then, the fruit aromas appear - both tart green apples and ripe (almost overripe and fermenting) red apples, and fragile yet prominent notes of blueberries. Everything feels very rustic and genuine, no artificial fruit flavors in sight. Being a fruit lambic from Cantillon, the smell is very balanced and sober, not even close to harsh.

T: A flawless balance between tartness and sweetness, and again this beer feels relatively balanced and tidy. The sourness isn't as puckering as in some other beers from Cantillon. Instead it showcases an amazingly balanced complexity. The mild sweetness has a pleasant fruit character. Lots of aromas of apples, lemon peel and goose berries. Lots of blueberry flavors - but they are not overly prominent. At first, the blueberries has a somewhat sweet character and really give the beer a unique overall character. But here's lots of tartness going on which levels the sweetness, and in general the beer is quite sour. Hints of vinegar and lactic acid. Pleasant funky notes of wet hay, earth and brett. Hints of wheat. The finish has a very subtle grassy bitterness to it and nice oak barrel flavors. Hints of tart blueberries, minerals and funk lingers on in the mouth.

M: Moderate body and sparkling carbonation. Feels like a sparkling white wine in the mouth, but unfortunately the carbonation is slightly too exaggerated and it gets somewhat inharmonious. Dry finish.

D: A unique and really good beer. But some aspects of it aren't as great as the overall character. It doesn't showcase the same "in your face-attitude" as some other beers from Cantillon. Instead, as noted above, it's really well balanced and very complex. Despite its few kinks, a masterpiece.

---

Some brief notes about batch 5, released in the fall of 2009:

The same lovely color as batch 4. The smell is also very similar to the older batch, perhaps the blueberry aromas are slightly more prominent. The big difference lies in the mouthfeel and in the way the blueberries appear in the taste. The blueberries are slightly more pronounced, especially in the finish were they are very noticeable (and very tasty with a genuine and rustic character). This gives the beer a slightly new expression and I really enjoyed it. The level of carbonation is somewhat lower in this batch and the beers seems a little smoother. All in all, it's still a great beer.

Grades: A: 4,5; S: 4,5; T: 5; M: 4; D: 5. Total: 4,7

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle shared by Shep - thanks!

Pours an attractive shade of dark purple with a head that's half cream-colored and half purple. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of funk - wet hay and leather among others - with solid amounts of tart blueberry aromas. As it warms the aromas grow mustier.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Good amounts of funk flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solidly tart berry flavors. The berry flavors include blueberries but they're tough to pick out until the flavors sweeten just a bit before a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer is all that it's hyped to be. I have to say that this beer would work with any fruit but the choice of blueberries puts it in a very unique subset and makes it well worth a shot.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Jeppe for sharing this at West Lakeview! A rare treat that I never thought i'd get to try.

Served in a stemmed wine glass. Deep and vibrant blueish purple color that is just magic. Frothy, creamy foam that sizzles with a lively crackle.

Strong aroma of wet hay, like morning dew on a hay bale. Wild barn stall notes with an underlying fruity scent of the Danish blueberries. Tartness is perceptible in the nose, but it's very mellow and integrated.

Luscious berry flavor, a very savory feel, with a moderate level of sour. Not too sharp or acidic, it's vinous and just about perfect. Nice level of carbonation that gives it lightness without any distraction. Just a fantastic complex lambic that really showcases the blueberries.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle shared at Woodshop 7 at Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach. Pours a lovely dark strawberry/raspberry color. Deep strawberry aroma with accents of blueberry and acai. Blueberry and acai come through a lot in the flavor with a soft acidity. A really nice sour.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle. I believe it to be 2015. Poured a ruddy, muddy purple. Almost wine like. A purple/pink frothiness that sits atop the beer. Aroma promises a very sour aspect to the beer. Earth, vinegar, wood, and of course, a mixture of ripe perfumey blueberries and underripe, tart blueberries. The flavor was probably not as complex as other Cantillon beers I have had but it was surely impressive and flooring. It starts off very tart. A bright pop of sourness that has a balsamic quality folds into a display of woody blueberry wine. I loved how dry it finished. Each sip was better than the last as my palate adjusted to the potency of flavor. The body was light and the tartness lingered. Probably won't have this again so it was definitely a treat.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer has been brought to tastings a couple different times by the most ridiculously generous beer dude there is, ygtbsm94. Thanks so much!

This is certainly an experience that hopefully all beer lovers will be able to enjoy at least once. Goddamn is this a wild looking beer. Poured into a Darkness snifter, this guy looks like a funky carbonated blueberry juice. Really pretty.

Smells of blueberry and funk with that Cantillon aromatic quality that is unique to them. Sours were never really my thing, but between Cantillon and Russian River I have really begun to love them.

Taste is again blueberry funk. Fruit there with great flavor, but a softness at the same time. A little sour and tart, but not as much as I expected.

Smooth body with great carbonation and something I need to find a way to trade for. Thanks again Brad, I owe you!

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%

The beer is hazy deep ruby with blue nuances, a pinkish head that leaves little lacing and not very much curtains.

I smell horse, stable, leather, some forest moisture, damp blueberry plants.

The taste is complex sweet fructose forest fruits, concrete and wet hay, a fresh, very cantillonish acidity.

Medium high carbonation, small alert bubbles, a bit foamy but very refreshing feeling, a smooth long dry finish.

Very much complexity and stable presence, an, as always, good Cantillion. The 2011 Vintage. Thx to bark.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle, 2012 vintage, at Tørst in New York.

Pours a dark blue/purple with a small light purple head, decent lacing.

Smell is initially just massive blueberry. As the beer warms, the funk really starts coming through. Get blueberry, tart apple, citrus, wet hay, musty old barn smells, some mushroom. Quite funky.

Taste is like the nose. Blueberry, tart fruit, hay, mustiness, damp mushroom, barn/forest kinds of smells. Lots of funk. Definitely more funk than the 2012 fou foune or framboos, but it doesn't really come through until it warms up. Not quite as sour as framboos, however.

Mouthfeel is very light, with decent carbonation. It's almost a little too light for my taste, though.

This beer is excellent. I feel super lucky to have gotten to try it. Can't wait to get my own bottles.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beer #4000 deserves something special. Huge thanks to DocJ007 yet again for the crazy beer he shares with us all. 375ml bottle from 2012.

Pours deep reddish purple with a one and a half finger tall white head, slowly dissipating down to a light film, leaving small webs of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smells of sweet/tart fresh picked blueberries, the ever present Cantillon musty brewery funk, some mild lactic sourness, yogurt and finally some grains. Taste follows the same path with plenty of tart blueberries and lactic sourness up front followed closely by the must and finally the lightly chewy grains. Feel is slightly grainy quickly being enveloped by plenty of musty sourness and slight sweetness from the berries.

Overall an excellent fruit lambic. I still prefer a few of there others more but I would never turn down another chance to try this one. Glad to finally get to try it, thanks again Justin!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml bottle, with vintage '12 written in silver on the label, generously traded to me by Brian who is such a great Beer Advocate for giving me this opportunity to drink a beer I'll probably never have a chance to drink again. Seriously. Thanks again, Brian, aka 4DAloveofSTOUT. Poured into a Cantillon wine glass tday, 9/15/2013, which is my first ear anniversary. Review #208.

Okay, so this beer pours something amazing. Its like this ruby grapefruit colour, so orange yet so purple at the same time. I cannot truly describe how great this beer looks. It pours with a typically Cantillon effervescent sour head that retains very well with a great film on top. Its just truly a great looking beer, even compared to Fou' Foune.

Smell on this is interesting. I can definitely smell that brewery funk; it takes me back to the brewery even more than Classic Geuze does. It's just funky, yet has that tart, ripe blueberry flavour that truly takes this beer somewhere else. The blueberries are there in such a way that Fou' Foune's apricots are, such that it doesn't take away from that Cantillon prototypical funk, but it adds so much more to it. Not gonna lie, this smells sour and just tasty at the same time.

Flavour is even better than the smell. It's not the most sour beer I've ever had (that still belongs to Beatification b5) but it is just so complex and well-melded together... only second to Fou' Foune's apricots. It's sweet yet so damn sour at the same time.. while spewing out that classic Cantillon earthy funkiness. This is where I realize that the rarity itself on this beer is not the only thing driving this beer's ratings up, this beer stands very well on its own. No question about it.

Mouthfeel is typical Cantillon. Medium bodied yet so smooth and well-carbonated. The aftertaste is that classic Cantillon funkiness, horseblankets and barnyard flavour straight up. I can't imagine 3F doing anything better than this, because I'm just a huge fan of that Cantillon funk. Probably because of the great memories behind our trip to Cantillon in Anderlecht.

Okay, so I can honestly say that this is beer really lives up to the hype on its own merits, because that blueberry sweet AND sourness contributes a lot to this beer, more so than Bordeaux grapes or more cherries have done. I wish Cantillon would make a year-round blueberry lambic so that we could get this one more easily. Its an über whale because of its several hundred bottles-a-year production, but I will strongly, strongly recommend that everyone who likes sours, try to get one of these bottles at least once in their beer lifetimes.

Re-review: Had the opportunity to sample 2011, 2014, and 2015 vintages. Stemmed glass 4/30/2016. I specifically would like to state that the 2015 fresh vintage was excellent, and may reach the level that the 2011 bought. Specifically, the blueberry fruit was pungent on the nose and to a lesser extent, the palate. Blueberry seems to be a difficult one to pull the essence out of in beer, but this is a pretty good example when done right. The 2015 had a nice big presence to go with the underlying Cantillon funk, and 2011 retained that strong blueberry depth while funking up some more. However, the 2014 was underwhelming in terms of the blueberry. Not sure if it is the lack of blueberry flavours period (harvest related?) or if it has to do with the background of the lambic. Either way, I did not think 2014 was worth going after, but 2015 has the potential to do well with time, and perhaps as well as the 2011 did.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Graciously shared by Sean9689 at Zwanze Day 2011. This has been a long time want/tick. Thank you again! 2011 750ml bottle.

Appearance – Pours into a Cantillon tulip with an utter amazing dark blue/purple color. About a half finger of purple head that dissipates at an average pace leaving slight nifty looking lacing. Side note, as I drank this there were bits of berry that got stuck on the glass…awesome.

Smell – Lots of fruit; quite obviously blueberry. A wonderful tart and barnyard funk aroma. Leather, lemon peel, and more blueberry.

Taste – A nice puckering up front with loads of berry flavor. A slight barnyard funk flavor such as wet hay and leather. A hint of acidic characteristic, lemon zest, oak, and tannic qualities.

Mouthfeel – Lighter medium bodied, plentiful carbonation, finishes a hint dry and acidic.

Overall – I was thoroughly impressed with this beer. It was everything I was hoping and expecting it to be. To be honest, I recently went international to get a 33cl of the 2011. That said, I will admit this beer was not insanely better than other Cantillon’s I have had. While it is different with the variation of berries, the 2003 Lou Pepe Framboise I had recently was more mouth puckering and sour. Since I have had this beer fresh, I will now age the bottle I own. Still, a fantastic beer.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon