Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

2009 bottle. Had this at the bottle share at the Pour House after the FW14 release party. Big thanks to the generous BA that brought this. Unfortunately all the beer drinking somewhat fogged my memory regarding his name.

Pours a beautiful light pinkish purple with a very small head that laces ever so slightly.

Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries. Some nice citrus notes as well (ruby red grapefruit comes to mind).

This was much more funky than I had anticipated. The nose doesn't seem to have this same grassy funk, but it really hits your palate and its oh so beautiful. Tart, sour, and very very complex. The flavors just layer between blueberries, sourness, funk.

Well carbonated that allows the blueberries to just pop on your tongue.

I could drink this all day. Very very drinkable. I would love to pair this beer with a nice fruit dessert.

750mL bottle, 2009 vintage, corked and capped. Upon removing the cork a steady stream of pink foam slowly rose to the opening, threatening to slowly make a mess if I didn't pour my first glass. After the pour, the foam in the bottle is about 3/4 inch thick above the liquid, and I can see some dark purple sediment attached to the walls on the bottle.

The beer is reddish-purple color with a light pink head. Kind of murky and impossible to see through, it looks really substantial. The aroma is, in a word, perfect. I expected an intense sour tartness and blueberries, but this was not so 2-dimensional as that. All of the funk you expect from Cantillon, this smelled like I imagine the attic at the brewery smells, musty and dusty, some leather, old barn, you name it. And throughout it all is the essence of blueberries, not like a fruit juice was added a la Lindemans, more like the yeasts fed on fresh blueberries and pissed out blueberry notes along with the funk. The combination of these aromas makes a 3rd distinct creation, just a perfect blend of all things good. I could keep smelling this forever, in fact I'm spending more time smelling this beer than drinking it. So...

The taste is also perfect. I don't like to give 5's so easily but really this is so excellent. The blueberries are there but don't define the flavor, this is more about the lambic and what the blueberries can ADD to it. Definitely the blueberries don't temper the funk with sweet notes, this is still a sour beer. But, on the other hand, maybe they do temper it somewhat as this is perhaps the least tart Cantillon I've tried. Either that or I've built up a natural immunity to bracingly tart beers... I've read others' reviews where they can get oak flavors from these lambics, and I'm sure those flavors are there due to the long aging in barrels, but I have a hard time discerning these flavors in the midst of all the aggressive and defining Belgian wild notes. In any case, this is supremely complex, delicious, and again reminiscent of a dusty, cobwebby attic. In a very good way.

The body and drinkability are perfect scores as well, I'm just gonna go ahead and give all 5's. After 1140 or so reviews it's becoming rare for me to feel a beer deserves a perfect score but this is no ordinary beer. I'm becoming sad but sated as the bottle empties, like a glutton I drank the whole thing. I offered some to my wife but, validating that the sour tartness is indeed becoming undetectable to me in these beers, she shied away from the wild notes.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon