Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Alströms:

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -6%

Received this brew from beerbeagle in a recent trade. I love fruit sours and apparently this is a damn good one. Plus I really love blueberry. Popped in honor of Boise State to watch them win the Fiesta Bowl AGAIN vs. TCU.

Review #650

Batch 4 bottled 2009.

Appearance- Pours a dark purple pinkish with a beautifully light pink and creamy one finger head. A perfect cap and collar (almost a half finger) remain the entire beer but unfortunately not a lot of lacing.
Smell- Definitely has that somewhat recognizable Cantillon smell. It's vinegary and tart with more of a Lambic kick than an actual berry kick. That's not to say the blueberry isn't noticeable though. It's unmistakably blueberry although I do get a bit of rhubarb and raspberry. A bit of worn leather and sweat adds a small amount of funk. It definitely smells WAY more sour and tart than funky. My mouth is watering awaiting my first sip.
Taste- Starts with a light bit of an acidic kick and a somewhat puckering quench. Definitely not as sour as I was expecting as the fruit isn't all that sour and the beer is still fairly tame. There is a light lactic twang under there though don't get me wrong. The beer is fairly tannic as the quench is woody and lightly vanillin. I'd even say there is a slightly red grape like vinous character to the beer but its way less than others I've tried. As it warms though the fruit in the beer does kick up slightly but it's still fairly light. A lingering dirtiness with a bit of tobacco and fungus.
Mouthfeel- Definitely one of the heavier bodies I've felt on a Lambic as it's damn near creamy. A semi aggressive kick of carbonation is prevalent the entire beer.
Drinkability- So this beer wasn't exactly what I was expecting or hoping for as the blueberries are fairly light and the beer is fairly tame. I know it'll sour up more as time goes on but for now it's very easy drinking. Too bad this wasn't such a bitch to get or I'd grab another bottle to sit on for a year or so. Thanks much Randell!

4.26/5  rDev -5.8%

Dark purple in color, reminiscent of a Merlot in the body. Dense head is pinkish red with high retention despite having flecks of blueberry in it. Delightful in appearance. Aroma of finest Belgian style funk, Cantillon signature, with added presence of lilac, berries, and cattiness. As much as I love blueberries, they are not the most aromatic fruit out there. The flavor is classically funky with dark fruits, cherry, currants, and a tart berry finish. Medium in body with a smooth higher level of carbonation as expected. This is quite a tasty beer, indeed, though I still prefer Fou Foune or Lou Pepe Kriek or Framboise. The only thing truly exceptional about this beer is about how difficult it is to get.

4.26/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev -5.5%

This is not what I expected. Good but not as good as I thought. I don't think it deserves number 10.

Pours a deep red almost purple color. Nice head and nice lacing.

Aroma is straight funk. Lots of oak and straight lemon barnyard funk. Just how I like them. So far so good.

Taste is fairly bland for such a high rated beer. Not enough sourness and blueberry. Tastes like straight funk. Not impressed really. It's not bad, just kind of a let down.

Mouthfeel is very thin. High carb.

Overall it's not worth what I had to give up. But glad I tried it

4.27/5  rDev -5.5%

Enjoyed a nice little pour of this prior to the start of our Zwanze celebration at La Cave a Bulles with Simon and our crew.

Pours a wine like violet color with a decent head.
The aroma is killer, blueberries and ripe fruit.

Unfortunately the taste couldn't live up to the nose, few do...nice rounded tartness with a hint of funk. Obviously a solid blueberry note throughout and a nice lingering juiciness...a little puckering I suppose.

It was great, but not nearly as epic as it's made out to be. If I end up in Copenhagen anytime soon, I will certailnly seek out a few bottles to add to the cellar. Regardless, it's another one I can happily check off the list and am happy to have tried it.

Thanks Boss!

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

2009 vintage, 375 ml bottle.

Pours hazy red, the colour reminds me of cranberry juice with slightly effervescent head that fades almost immediately, it looks quite attractive. Aroma seems to be intense vinegary with some wild fruit in the background.

Taste is crazy tartness, I think I have never tasted anything like that. Flavour certainly has got more fruity feeling than smell. Medium-dry finish; mouthfeel is light with light carbonation, excellent drinkability.

Although I liked the beer I can not say it was amazing. Mostly because I did not feel those blueberries I expected neither in smell, neither in taste, if they were there it was certainly too subtle.

4.29/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon