Love Belgian Beer?

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Reviews: 238 | Ratings: 731
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Big thanks go to Rastacouere for sending over a bottle of this when he was in Danemark. 2006 vintage, bottled in 2007.

Appearance: Gorgeous light purple, almost rosée colored brew topped by a pinkish head that was pretty generous for Lambic, let alone a Cantillon.

Smell: That telltale barnyard funky aroma was all wet hay and dirty stables, with a very assertive fruit character that oscillated between raspberries, rhubarb and strawberries.

Taste: Carbonation was not as prickly as other fruit lambic I've tried, and the fruit is definately in the forefront here, and it's all blueberry, but the kind that just a bit unripe, when they're sort of greenish blue. I can't tell you if they were like that when they brewed this, but it certainly worked out extremely well. The acidity seemed somehow separated from the flavor, as if every sip came with two acts, the flavorful rush of fruit flavor, then acidity, that was drying and refreshing - sounds contradictory, but it isn't - but was at a very sustained level, not as massive and brutal as some of the other fruit lambics. It was probably one of the most balanced lambics I've ever sampled. Lord knows people have tried and failed to make good blueberry Beers, but this style seems like a perfect fit. It went down insanely well, and was an absolute orgasmic match with trappist-made chocolate-dipped blueberries I just happened to have (it's the season here in Quebec). This one is a masterpiece.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

750 ml bottle, 2012 vintage, served in a wine glass at Tørst in NYC.

A- Pours a dark purple color with a thin, fizzy pinkish head that quickly settles to a wispy collar.

S- Huge blueberry aroma, the kind of thing you'd expect from a blueberry pie, as well as some tart blueberry juice and skin aromas. There's a big lactic acidity with a touch of vinegar. As it warms a wonderfully complex earthy funkiness emerges, which lends some mustiness, horse blanket smell, and wet oak. It smells delicious.

T- Similar to the aroma, more flavors of blueberry, with a nice blend of sweet and tart blueberry flavors. The tartness is really great, with mostly lactic character but still some acetic. As it warms the funkiness becomes more prominent. The funk has a wet, earthy character with some hints of mushroom. There's also some oak and dry tannins.

M- Medium-bodied, has nice moderate to low carbonation with a very tannic, dry finish.

O- A delicious beer. I wasn't sure what to expect given the hype that surrounds it, but the blueberry character is really amazing and the funkiness of this beer is highly complex, so I think it definitely lived up to its reputation. This is one of the best beers I've had from Cantillon, and certainly one of the best fruited lambics I've ever had.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

L: Deep, dark purple hue with a nice amount of carb retention after the pour. Gorgeous.
S: Tons of that lovely Cantillon funk with a complimenting undertone of fruit that smooths out the nose.
T: Similar to smell; perfect funkiness, and just the slightest hint of juicy blueberry. The most authentic blueberry flavor I've ever experienced in a beer.
F: Great carb level; does just enough to cut through the juicy funk so that the taste both coats and lingers for further enjoyment.
Overall, this lived beyond what I had expected. Blueberry is such a difficult flavor to impart into beer, and Cantillon, once again, blew me away. I'm stingy with chasing down hyped beers, but this is one I would recommend again and again.

Vintage 2011.

The colour is blueberry-purple, the liquid clear. The low head is pink.

The smell is tart. Iodine. Stable. Blueberries.

The taste is tart with notes of white wine vinegar. Black currents and blueberry juice. Iodine. It is much smoother then most Cantillon brews I have had. Passing dry notes. Sour hints that reminds of fresh orange juice. Some hints of citric peels. Long lasting blue berry notes in the finish.

The carbonation is light, the small bubbles fresh. The liquid is very dry.

A very well balanced and highly drinkable lambic. One of the most intriguing beers I have had.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

A. Pours a cloudy redish purple with a thick creamy purple head that leaves plenty of beautiful lacing.

S. Bright lemony tartness with some barnyard funkiness.

T. Black cherry with tart blueberry in the aftertaste. Some nice hay and barn funk.

M. Thin body with crisp tartness and some nice creaminess.

D. Great. Glad I got to break this out.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Had at the epic bottle share to kick off sdbw!

2011 vintage bottle shared by cbanker. Thanks chris!

A- beautiful purple body with a little bit of head that quickly disapates

S- grapes. Sweet grapes. Man oh man

T- can really taste the rare here. Also follows the nose. Great grape taste that doesn't last nearly as long as it needs too

M-medium body and oh so smooth

O-wow. Great Fucking beer.

4.87/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to sincereNC for sharing this one with the group! HOLY CHRIST, FINALLY! 2009 Vintage! Served from 375 mL bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a reddish purple with a one finger slight pink head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, fruit, dark fruit, blueberry, and a slight hint of funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, blueberry, fruit, and slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew is nothing short of (as I'm sure you know) excellent! All aspects of this one just worked extremely well together... The appearance was really unique to other lambics I have seen as you could tell there were blueberries involved in this beer before you even smelled it. The aroma was very inviting and I dare say, even mocked me to take a sip. I'm not one to be mocked so I did just that. WOW! There was no tart aspect at all in this one which was nice as I'm sure it would have covered up the delicate blueberry flavors going on here. The slight funky aspect was a really nice touch on the followthrough on this one. Just not a lot bad going on in this one if I'm completely honest. REALLY glad I got the chance to finally try this one as it was one of my harder to get brews via trading. I am currently searching for a 750 mL for my cellar if you have one you want to trade (hint hint traders!). A definite must try even if you have to beg or steal for it!

After typing this review and thinking about it, I am actually tasting the beer again and I indeed know that I need MORE. Someone help me out...

4.87/5  rDev +7.7%

Special thanks to Brad (aka. ygtbsm94) for bringing this very high profile brew to an awesome tasting!

Vintage 2007; Batch 3

A: Red/Purple color with tons of yeast floaties, a very small frothy head, which dissipated quickly, except for the suds which stayed gathered in the corners throughout the session.

S: Fresh sour blueberries. Brett?

T: Sweetness bleached out by tons of pepper. The sourness reminds could best be described as blueberry "Sour Patch Kids" candy. I eventually took a sip and held it in my mouth for a few seconds. When I did this...wow.... pepper city!

M: Like I stated before, peppery. Also, the cushion of yeast props up the taste better than any other beer I've ever tasted.

D: Remarkable! This is truly a wow beer and it doesn't get much better. It's one of those beers that I will always remember tasting.

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Made the trek to Copenhagen, to get a couple bottles of batch 6.
I had tried this previously (batch 4), and while I thought it was very good I wasnt blown away. Batch 6, however, was different and this review is for batch 6.

A beautiful dark violet with a nice pinkish/purple 2 finger head.
head dissipates after a little, but leaves a thin light pink layer on the top and there is a bit of lacing

S sour sour sour, funk and leather with a hint of wood and blueberries. perfect mouthwatering sour smell!

T very sour and acetic, the oak comes through and there are definitely some blueberries in the background, tart unripe blueberries. (where i think many sours fail is that they are too acetic and missing the fruit, wood etc flavors) this is an awesomely balanced sour. mouth puckeringly sour, refreshing, smooth with many flavors coming through

M/D wonderful. the balance of this lambic is impressive and makes for a very smooth and enjoyable beer, could drink this all day.

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Vintage '09. Big thanks to Mr. C for the hook up on this.

This one was a gusher. But luckily I was ready and none of the sweet nectar was lost. Pours a dark, hazy blackberry with a silky purplish head. Truly exceptional color.

Nose has tart berries, damp hay, horse blanket, manure and oak. Doesn't quite have the blueberry presence I was looking for.

Taste is a perfect blend of fresh blueberries, barnyard funk and wooden wine barrels. Superb balance.

Crisp, refreshing body has a delicate yet brisk carbonation. Dry, sour finish lingers nicely.

This is certainly a beautifull beer, but seems to be on it's way down. The Cantillon funk is slowly starting to take of the wonderfull blueberry flavors. Like any fruit lambic, this is most likely best enjoyed fresh.

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to drseamus for sharing. 2007 bottle by way of gregc.

A: Super dark reddish purple color. The purplish head was really nice looking but it quickly retreated to a thin cover on the beer. There were chunks of blueberries in the bottom of the glass.

S: Blueberries right up front. This beer had an incredible balance between tartness and vinegar. Both were quite intense.

T: Intense tartness right up front. This beer pushed my glands about as far as they go. Insanely tart. The blueberry goes so well with the tart insanity. The vinegar/lacto is there and strong but it balances out all of the tartness. Perfectly balanced.

M: Just amazing. A touch dry in the finish. Gland crushing tartness as part of the mouthfeel.

D: One of the best beers I have ever had. Simply amazing. Even with the insane rarity this is still a 5.

2009 375ml consumed 9/13/09

Appearance: Big pink, frothy head, the beer itself is a velvet-purple satin.

Smell: I just didn't get the blueberries I was expecting. The ones I found were very mellow, not fresh. Outside of that, it was perfect. A very strong acidity, with a welcome funk element of leather, wet wood, earth, etc.

Taste: Extremely similar to the bouquet, very faint/mellow blueberries with a bracing acidity and an excellent funk element. This one is incredibly sour, but everything is so balanced.

Mouthfeel: It isn't heavy, but an incredible amount of tannins from the blueberries cause this one to coat the full mouth. Definitely a teeth/limps stainer as well.

Drinkability: This one disappeared.

*NB: This is hands down the best lambic I have ever tasted in my life. Because I found the blueberries to be a bit subdued, I have adjusted the Smell down .5 (should be .25 really). This is the only thing keeping me from giving all fives.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a hazy thick reddish purple. A nice bit of white head. Smells tart and heavily of blueberry on the nose. Tastes fruity and sour. Dry and very very tart. Incredibly tasty on the tongue. Solid well carbonated mouthfeel. Overall lives up to the legend!

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Thank you joshuaseresse for sharing his 375mL bottle at our recent La Crosse tasting!

A: an extraordinary indigo color that had little-to-no head with a little bit of sediment.

S: a blast of sour fruits, primarily dark, such as blueberries and plus with clear hints of brett. made my mouth water...

T: an explosion of tartness that made my jaw lock up for a second, which perfectly kept the flavors of blueberry, plum, and oak on my taste buds. wonderful citrusy flavors on the exhale as well.

MF/D: the carbonation and tartness pickles the tongue, but is certainly something i will attempt to try again. i wish i lived in belgium...

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

One of the coolest looking beers ever. Blue, purple, even a little light red to the edge of it. Must take a lot of blueberries to make this. Aroma was tart, sour funkyblue cheese blueberries, really dropped that on me something fierce, amazing ass aroma.

Taste, wow, just wow. Possibly the best Cantillon. Thick blueberry sour pancakes with goat cheese.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

750mL 2005 Batch 1 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This was my favorite batch. Totally unreal.

A- Pours a light orange with a bubbly white head. Clear in initial pour but insanely opaque grapefruit juice color with the yeast.

N- Subdued blueberry muffin, unblended lambic citrus, funk, sour fruits.

T- Slight blueberries, unwashed, full of blueberry skins, lots of bright citrus and grapefruit rind that takes over and makes the blueberry very subdued. Overall is very sour and light bodied.

P- Geuze-like, tannic, sharp, very sour, very bright citrus. Leathery and lactic.

750mL 2007-1 Batch 2 black foil courtesy of madsberg. This is a totally different lambic all together.

A- Pours like a kriek that is on crack- straight up opaque purple with a billowing purple head that is insane. Blueberry seeds tumble into the champagne flute.

N- Full of band-aid, goes almost chemical, and has some baked cherry pie that comes through if you give it a chance.

T- More acidic, full of sour cherries, blueberry skins. Way different. Blind tasting either batch 1 or batch 2 I would not put as a blueberry lambic. I would put batch 1 as unblended, and 2 as a kriek.

750mL 2007-2 Batch 3 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This is where I think Jeppe was able to find a happy medium between batch 1 and 2.

A- This pours a cloudy pink with less of a pink head.

N- No band-aid and has more blueberry muffin, brine, cheese, funk, and overall less intense than batch 2.

T- Considerably more tart, full of lactic acid, more brightly acidic.

I'm scoring batch 1 as it was my favorite rather than averaging all of them together.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

A huge thanks to Don for surprising me with this one. Str8 from across the pond! I bet when he shipped it, he didn't think he would be drinking it with me! Batch 6 750ml bottle. I shared this at a tasting. Poured into a Cigar City snifter. (Reviewing from notes)

A- Pours a faint purple color. A 2 finger pink head that recedes to a thin ring. A very beautiful beer.

A- smells of funk and earth. The blueberries are coming through in a big way. It smells very tart!

T- tart blueberries that are followed up by more tart blueberries. At some points I swear I get a brief sweetness coming through. A musty earthy taste is present. Just perfect. I don't know what else to say. This is definitely my favorite lambic to date.

M- on the thinner side of medium. A tart finish that leaves me yearning for another drink.

D- I don't think it could get any better. Simply perfect!

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

I drank this 2009 version, not sure which batch(I'm guessing 4), from a 22oz bottle into my Rodenbach tulip.

The beer pours a deep grape jelly colored purple with a nice medium pink head. The head rises about 3 fingers and is very creamy and soft with great retention and lace. Probably the best head I've seen in a lambic.

The aroma is medium with mostly tartness coming through, some horse blanket mostly. Its nice because you get the funkiness you're looking for but not so overpowering that you get tired of it. At the end you get a little sweetness, but not much blueberry.

The taste is great, its super complex and well balanced. It starts soft and sweet and highly drinkable, towards the middle and end it evolves to have nice tartness. Once again, like the aroma it gets you the tartness you desire in drinking a lambic but not so overpowering that you can't drink a ton. At the end you finally get some blueberry mixed with a final tart goodbye.

The feel is nice and heavy with a lasting feel.

The drinkability is off the scale.

Overall this is an outstanding beer. From the taste I'm guessing its batch four because its balanced with sweet and funk. A lot of top beers don't live up to the hype but this one certainly does.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

750mL gold foil bottle from 2007 poured into a generic Crate & Barrel tulip.

A: Deep red, opaque, light head with moderate lacing. Little bits of seed (?) are visible when held up to light.

S: Funky, fruity. Can't say the blueberrys are distinctive here, but I'm amazing at the level of fruitiness in the scent as this bottle is pushing 5 years old.

T: That fruitiness starts it off and quickly fades into an incredibly puckering sour. Fruit seems to linger in the aftertaste. This beer is truly incredible.

M: Light body, reasonably sticky. Carbonation is a little more subtle than other Cantillons I've had in the past.

O: This beer is absolutely awesome. I now have to seek out a fresher bottle to see what this is like fresh!

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

2007 vintage, 750 ml
Two finger head on top of a purple haze colored effervescent body. Hints of blueberry and a silky mouthfeel, perhaps too silky for the style. Little to no hop presence. Typical tartness for a cantillon and a blueberry finish make a wonderful lambic. Best fruit lambic i've had to date. Enough horseblanket to make me remember it. I've heard the 2009 version will be ready shortly, buy more of this one.

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

Batch 4.

A: This brew pours a stunning shade of deep blue, bordering on purple, with radiant crimson hues that give the beer a brilliant appearance. Sitting atop the liquid is a thick layer of lilac colored bubbles. The head retention is something to behold. I have never seen a head camp out for this duration of time, most especially on any Cantillon offering. I'm not sure if it's ever going to fade.

S: Distinctive and easily recognizable as Cantillon. Tart fruits and barnyard funk aromas. It's difficult to single out blueberries, though the overall aroma is fantastic.

T: Sour blueberries as fresh as they can be, balanced with enough tartness to make the beer utterly slammable. Wow. This beer is just phenomenal.

M: The feel is a bit on the thin side. If it was perhaps a tad thicker, maybe it could be even more tart and fruity?

D: I truly wish this was more available. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had.

4.96/5  rDev +9.7%

75cl bottle, 2007 vintage, black foil.

Shared by Brad (ygtbsm94). Thanks so much for making this happen!

This old bottle poured a nice murky purple-ish color, with the gorgeous pink head that everyone raves about. It actually had a good amount of head, considering it's age. Smell was predominantly blueberries and old, musty funk. It's awesome that the blueberry aroma is like actual berries, not some artificial stuff. Probably my favorite thing about the Cantillon lambics is that the real-fruit smells and flavors come through, even with age on them. The taste was stunning. Of course, there were loads of blueberries. I think with age, this beer has probably changed substantially, but everything was in it's right place. The bretty kind of funk was blended in nicely with the fruit, and a good lactic sourness tied it all together. I also picked up an interesting cinnamon note, which I have noticed previously in the cherry sours. Mouth feel was soft and lightly carbed. This beer is damn near perfect, and my review doesn't do it justice. Looking forward to trying another bottle, perhaps a fresh one, down the road. Drink this if you can; it is well worth the hype.

2009 vintage.

Deep blood red garnet hue with a pink head on top. Looks beautiful in the glass. Aromas are bursting with a vibrant mix of fresh blueberry and great funk. Woody with mellow vinegar. Just bursting with wonderfulness.

First sip brings vibrant berry flavors melding beautifully with wood and a mellow funk that's a little tamer than usual for Cantillon. Blueberry is all over the place and the mellow acidity and wood plays in so well. This is incredibly delicious and drinkable and it makes me sad to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel is smooth light and creamy...arid and oh so easy to drink as the acidity is not as overwhelming as most Cantillon's. Just a lovely beer and worthy of the high praises it has received. YUM!

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Batch 2 (first release of 2007), in a 37.5 cl bottle. I remove the cap and I'm greeted with a pleasant "pop" as I remove the cork. I see the foam begin to rise, slowly, so I tilt and pour into my La Chouffe tulip.

The beer is light purple with a pinkish grapefruit hue. The light purple, champagne-like head flares up and dies quickly. I've never seen a beer of this color.

The dominant aroma is of fresh, tart blueberries. The aroma has some acidity to it...lactic acid with some funk in the background. A gentle swirl of my tulip glass releases more potent blueberries. Zesty, ripe, tart, sour.

Wow...wow. Mouth-puckerly tart and sour. Very sour! The beer segues from tart to sour and then to ripe and tart blueberries. I believe the blueberries create the most complex fruit flavor I've experienced in a sour. The complex finish hits the back of my tongue with more tart blueberry fruitiness, and it leaves me licking my lips, eagerly anticipating my next sip.

Good carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Outstanding.

Batch 3 (second release of 2007), in a 75 cl bottle.

I found this batch to be very similar to Batch 2. The color was nearly identical. I was, however, surprised to find the blueberries a bit more muted than in Batch 2, which surprised me because this was the fresher of the two. Maybe this beer spent less time with the blueberries. I don't really know. There seemed to be a bit more Brett character in this batch as well.

Batch 4 (2009), in a 75 cl bottle.

I heard from numerous sources that this one was a gusher, so I tilted the bottle over the glass (which was over the sink) while my buddy pulled out the cork. The liquid rose slowly out the bottle and we lost none of it to the sink.

Wow, this beer is shockingly beautiful. It appears plum purple (I stole that one) with an enormous light pinkish purple head that takes forever to fade.

The aroma is of fresh blueberry energy, lactic notes, and a faint mustiness. This has less Brett character than the previous batches, lending itself more to the lactic character. Some phenol notes are present with a touch of acetic acid. I get lots of oak in the nose.

The beer is sweet, tart, and delicious. The flavor is sweeter than the '07 batches with a balancing tartness and acidity. The flavor is bursting with ripe blueberries, oak, and tannins. The finish has a touch of Brett and lingering blueberry tartness with lactic notes.

The beer is light bodied and effervescent like always. This is the freshest I've tried this beer, and though I can't say I prefer this batch to the previous ones, it is nice to try it when the fruit is most apparent.

Batch 6 (2010) - 375ml bottle on 9/13/2010 in a snifter. Opens with a light pop. Same resplendent appearance with a very attractive purple pink head. Wet leather bursting with ripe, tart, and slightly sweet blueberries (form a mental picture). Light musty quality and notes of damp earth and barnyard are apparent, but these blueberries are what set Blåbær apart from other Lambics. Holy hell the flavor is amazing. Tart and slightly sweet ripe Danish blueberries with notes of oak and tannins. Glorious tannic and spritzy mouthfeel This beer is excellent, batch after batch, and remains my favorite lambic.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

HUUUGE thanks to Dave for sharing this at a couple of tastings. You're the man! Review from notes.

Poured hazy pinkish, some red grapeskin hues with a pink-tinted white head that lasted a decent while. Wow the blueberry is really coming out of the glass. Nicely tart with a strong blueberry flavor... particularly of the unripe, sour blueberry kind. There's a lot more to this: slightest hint of mustiness, grass, and a puckering acidity. The beer is light and refreshing, yet very boldly flavored. Sourness is intense and relentless even in the finish, which is dry and tart. Berry flavor lingers a bit before giving way to a nice bit of funk. The beer is effervescent and dances with carbonation, but not too much so. Crisp and velvety at the same time, I can't really put my finger on it. All I know is that this beer is simply outstanding. Thanks again for sharing, Dave!

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon