Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

#122
Liked:
4.52/5
Alströms:

4.29/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle 375, first Cantillon rating after having multiple of there offerings multiple times.

A- wow, what a great looking pour. Cloudy purple, pinkish blue. Have never seen a beer this color. Nice one finger pink/cream head
S- The smell really through me off on this. The first wiff is of Band Aids and it was pretty prominent. As it opens up with some movement, that subsides and is replaced by fresh blueberries. The more it sits and breaths, the more the blueberries start to make an appearance. There is a light tart smell to it and small red berry aroma as well.
T- Slightly sour up front with a fresh blueberry puree finish. That sums up the taste of this one, from start to finish that is what I got.
M-This is a thick lambic. It is still relatively a light bodied beer but has some weight to it. It has a dry finish, leaving you mouth yearning for more.

Overall, I am really glad that I got to taste this much sought after Whale of mine. I would love to get more. This is one of a kind as far as the sours that I have had. I would love to open a new batch bottle to see what its like and to see if that Band Aid smell was just part of the aging on the one i had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #300 and my first ever Cantillon. 375ml bottle, 2009 vintage, poured into AVBC snifter.

A: Pours an opaque dark purple with a billowing soft looking bright pink head that took forever to slowly fade into a thick fuzzy film. This has got to be one of the coolest and most interesting colored beers I've seen.
S: Complex and tart notes of lemon zest, mixed berries, and bretty funk. Smells like un-ripened red berries sitting on top a bale of hay that is left in a damp basement.
T: Not as tart or sour as I was expecting. Rather sweet actually. Blueberry juice flavors mix well with a musty attic notes and some acidic hints of citrus. Aftertaste is full of sour grapefruit or lemon pith. Flavors are all well integrated and mellow enough so that not one aspect dominates.
M: Carbonation froths up on the palate over the medium body and rich, soft mouthfeel. Finish is pretty dry, but not intensely so, with a fair amount of gritty tannins. Very refreshing. The light tartness doesn't overpower any of the delicate fruit flavors.
D: Overall a very good beer with great flavor and mouthfeel, but not one that I feel I would ever need to seek out again. This is great, yes, but there are plenty of easier to get beers that are just as good. Don't get me wrong though, this is pretty world class.

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml into a tulip, this is a 2011.

Pours a deep purplish, crimson color with a light pink head of about a finger. Head sticks around for a bit, then dies down to a light foaming around the edges of the glass.

Big horsey funk and mild blueberry jam on the nose. Some vinous notes, plenty of sour and a touch of oak tannin. Much funkier than I expected.

Huge vinous notes with a bit of blueberry. Lots of funk on the tongue as well, and plenty of barrel and sour notes. Not a super balanced taste, gives way to much more funk than fruit in my opinion.

Spritzy and medium body with a very dry finish. Spot on for a lambic.

Good funk with a mild blueberry presence among oak and vinous notes. Overall, I would say this does not live up to the hype. Is it an outstanding beer? Of course. But don't trade away the farm. Try it if you have the opportunity but don't lose sleep over it.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

375ml bottle 2010. Thanks to Schmaltzy for the split

A- Pours a darker ruby hue and 2 fingers of pink head that died to a light pink layer of head that remained for the entire drink, slight lacing but not much.

S- My mouth started to water the second I popped the cork and was hit with a wave of sour funk. In the glass there's more subdued mustiness. Both fresh, tart blueberry and sweet blueberry preserves.. Very tart and dry blueberry flavor that leaves your mouth watering before you take your first sip, it entices you to drink it.

T- Sour blueberry immediately then finishes with a huge dry hay/funk finish. The funk on this beer does not end... 3-5min funk finish. Ahhh very impressive. As the beer warms the beer changes... overwhelming crisp sourness is replaced by even more funk. I

M- Nice light body with loads of carbonation that cleanses the palate and leaves you wanting to drink more of this beer. My mouth is still watering after each sip. An excellent fruited lambic, much more sour, funk and lambic-like than sweet and fruity.

D- I would love to sample this one again.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

Okay so I decided to pop this one open after a great vacation in San Diego where I got to drink some amazing sours. (Consecration, Red Poppy: draft and bottle, Framboise de Amorosa, and Isabelle Proximus). Had so many great ones this week why the hell not try out the top rated sour?

Big thanks to Mike for hooking me up with this beer I had been trying to get it forever.

2009 bottle poured 7-11-10 into my Lost Abbey stem glass.

A: I haven't seen many, maybe one or two, beers near this color. It is a deep reddish purple. It poured with about 3 fingers of a fluffy pink head that stayed around for a good while. The head is still lingering around the edges. I give the glass a swirl and it looks like strawberry ice cream with blueberries. Amazing.

S: This one starts off with the familiar sour smell, and a nice fruity tartness. Breathing in deeper reveals a good bit of funk, like sweaty horseblanket barnyard funk. Why does that make it appealing to me? More fruit is showing up now, blueberries, maybe some cranberry.

T: Pretty sour and tart. It has the type of sour that you get from unripe berries, however not really a lot of blueberry but it is there and it is really good. Very sour in the middle, and a very soft touch of blueberries to finish it out.

M: Very smooth.

D: This is a very drinkable sour and... THE MOST FUCKING EPIC SPILL I COULD POSSIBLY EVERY HAVE!! JUST UNDER HALF A GLASS OF BLABAER DEDICATED TO MY CARPET. WTF!

This beer definitely gets a 1 on the "how easy is it to get out of a carpet" category.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

The 2005 Cantillon Blåbær poured a clear, golden orange amber. It looked like beautiful sparkling resin. It smelled like slightly sweet grape, touch of berry, touch of cereal and horseblanket funky sour. It tasted incredibly sour, pucker lemon, funky-cole-madina, lots of oak with a touch, and I mean a touch of berry. It was good. I was aching for a bit more fruit; but don't get me wrong, Cantillon has an amazing capacity to create incredible back-of-your-throat sour lemon puckers, which a lot of people love and crave. And it was good; I just wanted a bit more complexity and fruit flavor like in some of their other beers.

The 2007 Cantillon Blåbær Batch II poured the most beautiful color I have ever seen in a beer. I wanted to just stare at it all night long. It was this incredibly sparkling, brilliant ruby red with a touch of aubergine. Absolutely gorgeous. It smelled like a bucket of tart blueberries. It tasted like tart cranberries, tart blueberries, oak and back of your throat pucker sour. This had the complexity I was looking for. The beer starts tart to sour and then metamorphose into ripe and tart blueberries with the oak rounding out the transition. Beautiful. Elegant.

The 2009 Cantillon Blåbær was the weakest link of the evening. It poured a cloudy, murky mahogany. It smelled like mulled cider mixed with berry pie. It tasted a little apple cider-y, with hint of cinnamon, sour green apple and cranberry. It was not much to my liking, but it actually helped when it was paired with dessert.

4.34/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2015 375ml

4.34/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks Spencer!

750ml Batch 5 2009

Dark plum in color with a tan pinkish head that retains lightly in a ring at the edge.

Funky berry nose that comes through sort of sweet and sour.

Puckering and dry. Vinegar like with tons of berry flavor. I caught a touch of sweetness in the flavor as well but not many other people at the tasting did. Maybe it was something I had on my palate from before tasting this one. None the less a very good flavor overall.

Medium-light mouthfeel with some ok carbonation. Not very impressive on this front.

Pretty fairly drinkable but not outrageous here either.

I am eager to try Batch 2 of this beer. From what I hear that is a real treat!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Another whale opened for our sour tasting. 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Deep, watermelon red color. The pour produced a pinkish head that faded to a thin rim.

A: Strong berries up front. I get notes of raspberries, strawberries, and yes the blueberries. I also get herbal notes, and notes of citrus spice.

T: Amazing how the blueberries come through. I have had a lot of blueberry beers, but the berries are more prevalent in this than any other. Good amount of bitter sourness and nicely sweet.

M: Medium body. High carbonation and tingely.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is pretty high. The sweet tartness will limit it some, but we're really just splitting hairs. Overall this is one fantastic beer, and one of the highlights of the night. Big thanks to Dave for sharing. Skal.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012

4.36/5  rDev -3.5%

Vintage 2007. Sampled at a private party at GABF.

Poured an amazing hazy purple with a tight pink head.

The aroma was of full brettanomyces barnyard funk, lactic acid, and faint blueberries in the background.

The flavor was moderately tart for a Cantillon beer. It had all the great tight and clean funk that makes Cantillon beers my favorite amongst the sours. The blueberry flavor was very subdued and in the background. The beer had a clean biscuity and wheaty malt backbone (very subtle, but nice).

The carbonation was high and the mouthfeel was light.

This beer was incredibly refreshing, as are all Cantillons, and extremely drinkable.

Yummy.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

thanks to Sean9689 for trading this treat to me!

375ml bottle; vintage 2012; batch 8.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: an opaque medium reddish purple bodied beer with 2 fingers of white head that drops down quickly to a thin cap.

Smell: fruity and funky sour beer with a touch of vinegar. This beer has a well balanced nose between with the fruit and the funk. Blueberry skins with musty and dusty funk.

Taste: Blueberries that are both sweet and tart. Also some notes of red berries as well. Nice oak barrel presence that is tannic and its earthy too. The funk flavor is both musty basement and wet straw. This beer has a nice sour pucker that is about a 5.5 out of 10. Tastes similiar to a sweetart candy. Finish gets much funkier as it warms...the musty funk really transforms into that horse blanket sweaty funk that Cantillion is know for. A hint of lemon, grapefruit, and berries in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. The carbonation isnt as aggressive as most Cantillions that I have drank. It has more of a delicate carbonation that comes alive and epperveses as it hits your tongue. I do think that this beer could use just a little more carbonation. Semidry finish.

Overall: Yeah, this beer is wonderful. It is officially my new favorite Cantillion sour. I gotta say that its awesome to finally try this beer that I have been after for a while now.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

*** Update after opening an '09 in Oct 2012. Been fortunate enough to try both the 2011 (b7) and 2009 (b4, I think) vintages recently. Both shared a gorgeous appearance unique to the style yet were wildly different from each other in every other regard.

The '11 emitted an exceptionally pungent aroma of fresh, juicy blueberries that would make most muffin aficionados jealous. It's on the *very* short list of aromas that would get a 10/10 from me. Taste was rather mild and boring, though. Almost watery with barely any funk or tartness.

The '09 was exactly its opposite: nose lacked depth and pungency while the taste showed matured fruits, funk, classic Cantillon acidity, and an overall level of refinement that simply isn't in the fresher bottle.

Blabaer is the perfect example of the "<girl 1>'s face on <girl 2>'s body" dilemma in beer.

*** Original review of the 2011: ***

375ml bottle split 3 ways, thanks to my new Swedish buddy! 2011 vintage.

I started trading beer specifically to acquire a bottle of Blabaer for my brother's 30th birthday last year, and although that mission was unsuccessful, it's heightened my anticipation of trying this lambic tremendously. Being the good brother I am, I saved a small pour of this for my brother (using a wine stopper) and presented it to him the next evening. Anyway, on with the review!

Deep, dark blueish/red color; almost purple. Let's make my 5th grade science teacher happy and call it indigo. Head is a similar color, and there's plenty of it.

A luscious aroma of freshly picked blueberries and wild yeast fills my nostrils. Smells like the juice from squeezing a ripe blueberry between your fingers, yet it also somehow reminds me of opening the can of tiny berries inside a box of Sarah Lee muffin mix. All I know is this smells incredible!

...but unfortunately the taste isn't on the same level. Blabaer is plenty acidic, yet only mildly sour. Most of the flavors are here, though it could use more funk and overall sourness. More depth and boldness of flavor would do wonders. Finishes a little watery. It did improve as it approached room temperature, but it wasn't served particularly cold in the first place. All three of us were equally disappointed with the taste. :(

Much like the Kate we opened immediately prior to this, Blabaer seems to suffer from hype syndrome. That said, this is still a very good lambic, and I'd love to try an older vintage.

...But honestly, I'm pretty sure I prefer Fou'Foune.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon