Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Reviews: 238 | Ratings: 737
4.44/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a hazy purple color with a lacy light purple head.

S: It has that funky cheesy aroma that makes Cantillon so good. There is no fruit in the aroma.

T: classic Cantillon. There is a decent amount of blueberry present but you absolutely need to wait until the beer warms up significantly before tasting.

M: Same as most Canillion. It is thin and has sharp carbonation like a lambic should be.

O: Great beer but probably overhyped. The blueberry is amazingly well balanced with the lambic and adds a unique flavor to a lambic.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage, 375ml bottle graciously shared by sarro - thanks, Kyle!

Pours a turbid, purple-hued burgundy color with a thin lavender head that hangs around the collar. Very acetic and vinegary on the nose with strong tart blueberry and cherry notes. Decent amount of funk, leather and minerality. Taste is also quite acetic with strong tart blueberry and cherry flavors along with lighter earthy funk and mineral. Pours near the bottom of the bottle have more blueberry flavor and more barnyard funk. Ample carbonation and a medium-bodied mouthfeel. Lightly sweet on the finish relative to other Cantillon lambics. Pretty drinkable - the 375 disappeared way too fast. Really great stuff overall.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Graduation Sour Tasting- Split 4 ways. Batch 2009 II.

A: Pours a cranberry red color. 2 fingers of pink head that reduces to a film around the edges of the tulip glass.

S: Really love this intense blueberry and blackberry aroma. can tell there is a lot of acidity and also get some barnyard funk.

T: Lots of blueberry and nice acidity. Good sourness to this. Very well balanced, but not too complex. Very flavorful.

M: Light body with medium carbonation.

D: Very drinkable fruit lambic. Really enjoyed the blueberry aroma and flavor.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Generously shared by Darren, of the Belmont crew. Always a class act.

Pours a really intriguing purple pink, and the reflected color in the head is just delightful. Just a gorgeous beer.

The smell is where the concentration gets sucked in. Fairly aggressive nose, letting loose that blue pungence, it is hard to remove ones nose from the glass.

While the smell comes off pretty strong, the taste was quite a bit more mellow to me. Not as sour as one might expect, though this was likely a more recent vintage. Nonetheless, the sourness was very pleasant, and did let the light blueberry flavor shine through, though not as strong as one might expect from this. Some heavy phenols present in this one.

Being urbanites, we all agreed that we could relate the rich funk to a phone booth, as we have few horseblankets for reference around here.

All in all, quite a satisfying beer, and a real treat. Does it live up to the hype? Welll.... grain of salt. World class beer, just not sure I would trade my little sister for one.

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

375ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2012 Vintage.

I never thought I would actually get to try the elusive Blåbær, so a big thanks to JAXSON for hooking me up with the bottle.

Appearance: Blåbær pours a beautiful deep red/pink, with a back light even revealing some hints of purple. A rough pour yields a large pink tinted head that lasts quite well for a sour, but doesn't leave any lacing.

Smell: After my initial sniff (which was almost all funk), I was a little worried that the blueberry character was going to be obscured behind Cantillon's signature funk, but thankfully as the nose began to open up, it struck a perfect balance between juicy blueberries and funk. Notes include: Fresh juicy blueberries, berry skins, a very faint berry jam note, a vinous character, some acidic lemon notes, old wood, sweaty socks, some old cheese, musty basement and a touch of leather.

Taste: The flavour doesn't offer quite as much berry character as the nose, but the funk that replaces it is top notch. Notes include: Tart berries (a faint hint of sweetness), berry skins, a vinous note, tart lemon, some green apple peel, musty basement, old wood, sweaty socks, old hay and a hint of cheese. Interestingly there is a big blast of blueberry flavour on the burp.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with the faintest hint of stickiness (I love the effect the addition of fruit makes to the body of a lambic) and a medium-high level of carbonation. The beer is quite tart (not as tart as one would expect from Cantillon though) and very dry.

Overall: Blåbær is a fantastic fruit lambic, however I am not sure it is any better than Rose de Gambrinus and probably rides on its rarity to some extent. Still if I lived in Denmark, I would certainly get my limit of bottles every year!

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle of the 2015 Vintage.
Tried at Himmeriget, Copenhagen; 160 Danish Krone for the 375ml bottle
Excellent stuff from Cantillon & easily the best of the albeit limited selection of lambics I've tried so far. Starting with a nice cherry & raspberries taste, the blueberries came through strong soon after & there was plenty funk/tart too. An excellent balance & great mouthfeel, the beer had a lingering sourness that stayed with you after each sip; excellent stuff & a must try if you can find it.

4.46/5  rDev -1.3%

375ml bottle 2009 vintage batch 4
Thanx to however brought this to bobby's tasting
Consumed 3/11/2010

A: poured a dark purple with a pinkish head and some good lacing on the glass. There was also berry like sediments floating in the beer.

S: nice signature cantillion sour tartness with very light oaky notes with blueberries, cherries and other berries in the nose.

T: great sour tartness up front with light blueberry and raspberry flavors with pleasent dry acidity and hints of oak in the mixture.

M: medium body with good amount of carbonation and great berry slight dry finish.

D: really love sours and this beer has got to be one of my favorite beers by cantillion for sure. I hope I get a chance to have this one again.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage, 750ml, poured into a HF tulip glass...
color is deep magenta, ruby red with a purple tinge, half inch of foam...looks beautiful!
Nose is funk, blueberry, cherry, lemon
Taste is fantastic, blueberry fruit mixed with lemon, some funk and tartness with a hint of plastic-essence... really delicious flavors though not as in your face (concentrated) as, say, lente which explodes in your cheeks!
Drinking great right now, but may improve with age....

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The blueberry taste was a little more subdued than I expected, but despite that it's still a fantastic beer. Goes without saying that it feels pretty cool to notch this one off my bucket list - it helps to have friends who are connected!

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful purple/red color. The nose is a strong punch of blueberry and lacto/sour. The taste some blueberry but more sour and your standard Cantillon bite. The feel is heart-burny like all Cantillon. Overall a great beer that actually beat my expectations.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Finally! I couldn't wait any longer after getting this in a trade.
Batch 2 - 2007 - 375ml

A - Wow, I've never seen a beer this color... As I pour this deep purple lambic almost 2 fingers of pink stained tan head rises and settles after a few seconds.

S - The second I started pouring this I could smell the blueberries. When you're nose deep in the glass there is a strong acidity and a nice healthy funk, lovely barnyard and cheese.

T - Frickin' awesome. Not the sourest Cantillon I've had, but definitely packs a punch. It blend very well with the funk going on as well. The blueberries are also the most present out of Cantillon fruit lambic that I've had. It might just be in my head but I swear the blueberries also add to the sourness, as if they were picked early.

M/D - This one was carbonated pretty well and probably one of the only things I could find I didn't like about, and I was trying pretty hard.
Rarity and price aside, I could drink this any day of the year, I would just need 30 minutes to lose myself in it.

Batch 4 - 2009 - 750mL

This is a pure funk bomb, tastes like a blueberry flavored band-aid. Fruit wasn't as present as I remembered, and this bottle was fresher... Too medicinal, I'm going to knock my appearance down to account for the difference in batches.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Enormous thanks go out to mikesgroove for sending me this bottle in a recent trade. Shared with a few friends at a tasting yesterday.

This review is of a Batch 4 bottle (2009)

A: The pour is a fantastic looking deep purple color with a fluffy pink head on top.

S: The nose is certainly very fruity, but I don't necessarily detect a lot of blueberries. There are some great cherry, raspberry, and a mixture of other tart berries. There is also a lot of lactic tartness, but not as much in the way of funk or wood as you usually expect from Cantillon.

T: Like the nose, the fruit is really the star of the show in this beer. A mix of indistinguishable tart berries really hits you up front. The oak comes through a bit more in the flavor, but is not overpowering. While I had been noting a lack of blueberry flavor, they really come out on the finish.

M: The body is medium to full with a nice tingly carbonation on the tongue.

D: This is one of the most fruit forward lambics/wild ales I've come across. I really enjoyed the balance of the fruit and the traditional funk and sourness.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

375ml bottle split three ways on 7.24.12 between myself, Greg, and Jake. Thanks for sharing this Jake.

A - Pours a dark pink-burgundy with a white to light pink head that fades down, but never fully disappears.

S - Funky, some slight sweetness, that comes out more as it warms. The berries are more present as it warms also.

T - Super funky, then some sweetness from the berries, then a shift to a tart berry finish. Very complex. Again more sweet as it warms.

D - Funky, with a dry finish. Nice carbonation.

O - A very complex and multi-layered drink. I am so thankful to have had the chance to try this treat.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to Foofaa for breaking out a bottle of this rare treat! This is a review of a 2009 vintage bottle.

A-Brilliant, lustrous, deep sapphire blue accented by subtle purple highlights. A thin, pinkish purple head caps the jewel like liquid and leaves spotty lace behind.

S-Gauze pad, tart blueberries and mustiness. Certainly interesting but not the most aggressively aromatic Cantillon beers I have had the pleasure of inhaling.

T-Super crisp tart blueberries with a dryness so pronounced it feels like you are trying to drink the Sahara. Tannic/oak astringency adds depth and additional palate dessication.

M-Light bodied, super dry and extremely crisp. One of the most astringent beers I have had the pleasure of drinking.

D-Whilst it is VERY dry it is easily one of the most drinkable Cantillon beers I have had. Super dry and crisp with just enough fruit sourness to help balance things out. An utterly delightful beer to enjoy slowly and savor each and every sip.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Finally decided to crack one open on Sat night. Needed something to bring some good luck as the Phillies were on their way to being one hit by the BoSox. Opening this little gem didn't help.

A - Maybe the coolest looking beer that I have ever seen. Stouts are either brown, black, or really black. This beer looks like something you would like to see on the best HDTV that you can find. Stunning purple pour into my flute. Really, this is the best looking beer that I have ever seen.

S - Typical profile for Cantillon with tartness and oak coming through first. This is not a blueberry forward beer, but you can smell the skins of the blueberry.

T - Sour up front with oak and sour berry taste. Not the most sour beer that I have had with the taste following the smell largely.

M - A bit thin, more sparkly than anything else.

D - Very easy and sessionable.

Given how hard this is to get and the cost involved, I would probably be happy with multiple bottles of supplication or temptation. The blueberry profile makes it unique, I am just not sure that I will pony up to purchase this one again given the cost.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Reviewed from notes (Mr. Bubbler's "End of the World Tasting") 12/21/12. Thanks.
300th review.

Vintage 2011. 750ml bottle.

A: Pours a deep reddish purple with a 1" light pink head which fizzles before fading to the rim leaving a few spots of lace.

N: Classic horseblanket funk, chessy, with mild blueberry jam, some vinous notes. Somewhat sour with wood tannins.

T: Fresh blueberry and white grape. Funky with woody mold and mildly sour. Well balanced.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Dry, musty/dusty and fruity finish.

O: Amazing and enjoyed. Maybe overhyped? Try it and decide for yourself. Would have again and again.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Hazy red pour with a reddish white head. Tart blueberry and oak in the aroma. Flavor is very similar, mildly dusty and good god is that sour. Very tart finish with just a touch of sweetness that..."balances(?)" it out. This was batch 2 from 2007.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to Joey the owner of Cigar City Brewing for bringing this to the LCBS 10. The pour was ruby red with barnyard aromas. This beer was smooth and not overly sour with tart blueberries and sour cherries dominating the scene. Just amazing twist on a blueberry sour ale...

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to ricke! 375 mL corked bottle poured into my favorite lambic glass (11 oz pilsner). 2009 vintage. Careful, it's a countertop stainer and a foamer!

Blueberry bits are all over this beer, and all over the cork. Inside of the cork is lavender and slimy looking, but remains intact and isn't actually rotten (thankfully). Pours with a big blueberry head, complete with small pieces of blueberry (invoking a homebrew of some sort).

Wild smell. Notes of blueberries are dominant, also sulphur compounds, old stale urine, gueuze, lots of pediococcus, wild yeast with off notes that would be a drainpour with a regular beer but it's beautiful here. I wouldn't enjoy it if I hadn't had wild ales before though...

Flavors are of tart blueberries. Wild lambic flavors are abound; this is the tamest Cantillon I've had, yet it's still probably a bit too weird for anyone who's unfamiliar with what to expect. Some mild oak notes. I've changed my score up from a 4.0 because I'm getting to like it more and more as it warms. Finishes sweet and tart with a medicinal blueberry fume.

A vigorous pour resulted in a mildly carbonated beer with a huge stable head. It's sticky and sweet but that doesn't bring the mouthfeel down one bit.

The more it warms the more I can't help gulp it down. I didn't quite like it when I first poured it but it came alive after about 10 minutes. Great stuff!

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

I actually got this myself! I didn't just sit on my ass and trade for it. I actually went out and acquired it in Copenhagen. Boy, imagine that.

The July 2011 release 33cl bottle (with a classic metal pressure cap over top an embedded cork) was poured into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm Sweden, on July 14th, 2011. Served at a mildly cold temperature from the refrigerator. Reviewed live.

A: Half a finger of purple (not blue!), creamy head with wonderful thickness and poor retention (especially for the ABV). Retention is maybe forty seconds. Colour is a unique solid purple-black. Nontransparent. I expected a transparent moderately dark blue, but this surprised me. Extremely appealing and unique.

Sm: Blueberry (all in my head because I know it's blueberry?), raspberry, cherry, and strawberry. I expected only blueberry, and may be projecting my expectations. I try not to, but I do legitimately get blueberry from the scent - it's just not as strong as expected. Certainly souring hops are present - typical for the lambic style. I'd describe the strength of the scent as mild to moderate overall. It certainly isn't overpowering, but it is pleasant without a doubt. I'm excited to try it.

T: Sour blueberry body. Slight underlying cream. Very full and expressive. Excellent for the style. It's very complex, even for the style. It's rather deep and inspired. It's not quite bold, but it's refreshing. It's evocative and inspired. Certainly brewed with care. It has a clear refreshing yet sour blueberry focus, though the blueberry taste may not be as distinct and focused as you'd expect. It incorporates other fruit ester hops to fill out the body and enhance the climax. The finish is a wonderful blueberry re-surge. I suspect that the high quality of the blueberries may alone account for the presence of other fruit esters; often high quality fruit is so full and evocative that other novel flavours are introduced. This may be the case here. In any case, the balance is near perfect; the souring yeasts/bacteria are a bit too dominant in my opinion.

Mf: Smooth, full, wet, refreshing, and featuring ever-so-slight cream deep in the foundation that's quite nice. Complements the body very well, but not perfectly. (I had this the same night I had the Kaggen! Stormaksporter and the Westvleteren 6 so I'm well acquainted with perfect mouthfeels).

Dr: It's not quite perfect, but it's the best lambic I've had, and will probably be the best I'll ever have. I don't know that it's worth the price - even aged - but I'm glad to have tried it. It's certainly worthy of special occasions, but better beers can be had at a lower price and for far less effort. However, it does live up the hype if that's what matters to you. For what it's worth, I'll compare all other lambics I have in the future to this one. It's incredibly drinkable and probably one of the most refreshing "dark" fruit beers I've ever had. Certainly a treat.

A (4.50)

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Review #500. Wow! When I started reviewing a little more than a year back, I never thought I'd get to try many of the beers that I have. This is one of them and thanks are due to Brad for hooking me up. 2007 release, batch 1 (375ml bottle, black foil)

A: As with some Cantillon beers, there's gunk under the cap. Halfway through uncorking it, the carbonation forces it out. Not bad. In my Duvel tulip, Blåbær sits a pinkish shade of crimson with a light pink head that starts off pretty big and settles to a surprisingly thick disk. Plenty of visible carbonation. No blueberry skins, though :-(

S: Strong funk with barnyard, wet hay and lemon, upon which sits the most delicate of blueberry aromas. The fruit aroma is pretty intoxicating - it's soft, beautiful and reminds me of unsweetened blueberry syrup. No sugar-based sweetness is present, just a pure fruit aroma.

T: Opens up rather bracingly sour with a ton of lemon-like sourness and acidity that really stimulates the palate. Once the funk washes away, the blueberry comes in. Soft, like on the nose, the berry character comes through with the fruitiness being expressed beautifully, while the sourness continues where the funk left off. Finishes dry, tart and long with a little bit of fruit

M: Light and spritzy on the palate with perfect carbonation, this one is pretty awesome. Acidity is a little high (think along the lines of their Kriek) but fits in well in the overall scheme of things. Great finish

D: I'm definitely enjoying this a lot, it's pretty darned easy to drink

Notes: I had a chance to try the second release from 2007 (75cl bottles, gold foil) and that batch is far superior. The funk is more restrained, the brightness of the blueberries is incredible and the palate is quite to die for. I'd give that version scores of 4/5/5/5/5 but since I got only 2oz of that (thanks, Carl!), I'm not going to review that

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to Nick for this sample!
750ml. Bottle. 2007 vintage. Pours a purple/red color with a pinkish head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is subtle on the blueberries with more barnyard funk, wood, and citrus.

Flavors of blueberries, raspberries, funky sour cherry in there as well.

Nice balance between the sweet and sour. A well made beer.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to to brewdan for this one. 750ml. 2009 vintage I beleive it was batch 1. Poured a dark purplish-blue with a pinkish head. Very subtle blueberry aroma with amazing Cantillon funk. A little more musty basement smell then the normal barnyard from Cantillon. On the palate it was dry and light. It seemed to be more tart than sour. Mostly berry flavors with a little blueberry coming through. Extremely easy drinking for a Cantillon beer. Looking forward to having this one again.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Huge thanks to my buddy Joey for sharing this one! Had this one at La Bella on 5-16-09 along with Tony, Danny, Jeff, and a few others. Hope you enjoyed this one Tony!

I was planning on drinking this for my 500th review but it crossed my path a little sooner, or I just didn't drink/review fast enough. The first time I had this beer was at the RateBeer Summer Gathering 2008, the Grand Tasting at Pizza Port Carlsbad. I only had about a 1oz sample and that was enough to make an impression on me and I've been hunting this one since then...fortunately a very generous trader worked out a trade with me and I was able to get a bottle (thanks jasonm, I will be enjoying that bottle soon).

The first time I tried this last summer (only a 1oz pour though) I thought the sourness and fruit were more balanced, maybe because it was fresher? Here goes...

From a 750ml bottle, 2007 vintage (batch II).

Poured a garnet and violet color, a little haziness, and an attractive pinkish quarter inch of foam.

Funky and tart blueberries assault the nostrils, lots of acidity, and lemon tartness. A bit of tea-like herbalness, lots of wet leather aromas, and musty as it warmed up. This beer was a battle of funk and fruit, both were very intense...the blueberries really make this beer outstanding.

Just like in the aroma, brett funk, hay, sour blueberries, very acidic going down, leather, and acidic lemon. It was almost like biting into a really sour lemon peel. The beer gets dryer with every sip. Again, the fruit flavor is just outstanding and doesn't overpower the beer. At some points it seems like there is some sweetness at the beginning but then the sourness and dryness wrecks the palate. Medium-high carbonation and a bit prickly on the tongue at first.

One of the best sours and truly one of the great Cantillon beers out there. Can't wait to have this again.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Another great beer sent to me by Anders. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into four tulip glasses.

Batch 2009 - II

A- Pours a hazy, dull cranberry / maroon color. Produced two fingers width of off-white head with a pinkish hue. Reduced to a thick ring. Good lacing.

S- Instantly, blueberries just explode into the nostrils...almost have a vinous nature to them. Lots of barnyard funk underneath it all. Really digging this.

T- Much like the aroma. Heavy blueberry flavors upfront with a unique, vinous nature beneath. Almost one dimensional, but balanced out with a building sourness and some funk in the finish.

M- Light bodied with great carbonation. Really easy on the palate.

D- As for as fruit lambics go, this is pretty drinkable. Good overall balance between the blueberries and the acidity.

Overall, one of the better fruited lambics by Cantillon. Recommended if you're a fan of blueberries.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon