Cantillon Lambic Rhubarbe | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Lambic RhubarbeCantillon Lambic Rhubarbe

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Previously released as Zwanze 2008 and Zwanze 2012.

Added by MasterSki on 06-16-2009

3.24/5  rDev -24.3%

Zwanze 2012

Light reddish honey colored pour. Smelled like dirt and sort of sulfury. Rhubarb did a number on the nose. Some celery like aroma but not as pungent.

Tart and feels oily on the palate. Sharp lemon acidity. Light bitter celery flavor. Sourness hits the back of your throat. Not incredibly interesting for Cantillon but drinkable.

3.32/5  rDev -22.4%

750ml bottle into a decanter. This was served in one of those cute little bottle baskets, making the beer look like a baby in a cradle.

Lambic always wins in the end. Our server told us this when he poured it - you can add lambic to anything, but the lambic will consume anything given the time. This is two years old.

Straw colored, like a lambic. Smells faintly of strawberries and rhubarb. The taste is of rhubarb, strawberries, and lambic. Subsequent sips are mostly lambic, despite being separated by bites of quiche and malt. Thinner than the regular unblended lambic, and quite dry.

An interesting result. Fresh, this would have been more rewarding as I do like rhubarb. Now, two years later, it's a curiosity at best.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

3.71/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Slightly hazy pastel yellow-gold with a soft, creamy white head that persists throughout as a thick clingy collar.

Really funky but light stinky cheese aromas are followed by overripe peach, and a little sawdust or crushed almond.

I do not get a lot of rhubarb in taste, more like a lemon-raspberry tart, which I guess in itself is pretty close to straight rhubarb, but we have rhubarb that grows all around the house so it's not a flavor I'm unfamiliar with when ultra fresh. I also get some barnyard funk, and as it warms, some fresh rhubarb faintly emerges. Luckily I had some rhubarb jam nearby to tease out the rhubarb flavor, but it is not like a mouth puckering crunch of that green-pinkish stalk, it's just a slight twinge running along the background.

Medium body with a soft, frothy feel.

I had this on draft at a Cantillon tasting for Cleveland beer week in Oct 2016, and it was simply listed as "Rhubarb (Draft)--a blend of 2 year old lambics brewed with rhubarb." I believe it is actually Zwanze 2012 as there does not appear to be a Cantillon beer simply named "Rhubarb," but we did not receive clarification from the bar that held the event.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sampled at the brewery's 2014 Quintessence tasting on 1 May 2014.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

On tap at La Fine Mousse in Paris, France.

Pours like a gueuze with a thin white head.

Nose; gueuze with some rhubarb.

Taste; reminds me of Cantillon gueuze with a little age (maybe 4 years) on it and a touch of rhubarb in the finish to make it a bit more crisp and clean.

Mouthfeel; like Cantillon Gueuze, crisp and dry.

Overall; honestly, after how awesome last years Zwanze was and knowing this years was the same as 2008, it's about what I expected. Another tasty lambic from the people who I think do them best. It was another awesome zwanzeday though and I look forward to the next; thanks Jean and Family for doing what you do, the way you do it!

3.81/5  rDev -11%

On draft at Monk's for the Zwanze Day celebration. Served in 6oz portions, the brew appears a hazed pale golden orange with a white cap that is quick to dissolve. A swirl revives a finger back to the surface which is quick to fade.

The smell is rather funky with diaper, earth, sulfur and wet oak. Some enjoyable citrus and fruity tropical quality blending into the funky cheese notes makes for an interesting combination. When swirled, it gets a but musty and more notes of poopy diaper emerge.

The taste is tart and earthy with funky cheese and wet wood. Some cardboard and sulfur mixes with mild citrus hints. A bit of herbal rind quality imparts a mild fruity to bitter earthen component. Some suggestions of greek yogurt and lacto run throughout.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is tart and funky. A pleasantly drinkable experience due to the flavor despite a rather off and atypical cantillon nose. I will say I wasnt the biggest fan of this or last years Zwanze yet I appreciate the chance to join in on the celebration and try them.

3.84/5  rDev -10.3%

On Tap at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia.

Poured into a wne glass, this years version of Zwanze casts a golden color with a semi yellow shade to itself. Bubbles rising up forming a half inch of plain white bubbles forming a healty cap. No stickage to the glass, but the foam sticks around a bit, nice retention. Smell explodes with Rhubarb mixed in with those musky Cantillon scents. I also cant help but to smell a diaper everytime I sniff this, which I never really experienced in a young lambic before, maybe fresh st. Lamvinous though. Some berry pops out with warming. One of the weirder smelling Cantillons to date. Taste is Rhubarb forward, tangy, tart, musty. Oak comes through hen it comes up to temp with some faint berry flavor. Semi acidic in the mouth with a light body and a lively carb presense. This was a tasty lambic, yet not my favorite Zwanze. Maybe Rhubarb just aint my thing.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

A – Poured a dank hazy orange with a small white head which didn’t last long. A nice ring of bubbles did linger around the edge of the glass till I finished my 10oz pour.

S – Had a very earthly smell like a fresh tilled garden. A little bit of citrus but it was hidden fairly well.

T – Very acidic, didn’t get much in the way of rhubarb (not that rhubarb has much flavor on its own anyway). I picked up some wheat and some citrus notes in there too.

M – Medium Bodied a little heavier than most lambics, Carbonation was on the lighter side and faded very quickly.

O – As far as a Lambic goes I thought it was pretty nice. Good amount of funk and acid. As far as a rhubarb lambic goes I felt the rhubarb didn’t add much. Really thankful I got to try it since a lot of people got shutout at ChurchKey.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

75 cl bottle at Cantillon Brewery. Poured into a Cantillon chalice.

A: Poured a cloudy, golden yellow. Little, if any carbonation visible. Small foamy head that quickly dissipates.

S: Sour, signature Cantillon funk, and a little citrus. Reminded me of the Vigneronne.

T: The comparison to Vigneronne is close, but not exact. Less sour, particularly at the beginning but still with quite a pucker at the end. A friend I shared it with said "sour skittles." Not typical BA language, but it's kinda there. It's a very straight forward sourness with citrus. Doesn't seem to be a ton going on here, but what there is is certainly good.

M: Light, tart, and crisp. Reminiscent of most Cantillons.

O: I was a little disappointed with this beer. It's still very good, but the restrictions on taking it away and the price tag (the highest at the brewery per bottle, though still not bad) made me expect a bit more. I like where they're going with the beer, but I think it just turned out better with Saint Lumvinus.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

On tap at Crooked Stave for Zwanze Day 2012. I was going to skip this event figuring it would be too crazy but it was handled very well, glad I went. The pour was an orange color, a little hazy, not much head. Aroma was just strange, sort of herbal, lambic, slight funk. The flavor was also weird, herbal, vegetal, sour, whoah. I can't remember what rhubarb tastes like since I have not had it in over twenty years but this was very interesting. I would not try to tick this again even if I could, one was enough. I also predicted that the Fou Foune on tap would blow this away and it did, that has to be Cantillon's best lambic.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

A real find for Beer bistro to bring in this rare one. Pours lightly yellow/transparent with some foaming head. Takes tartness to the edge, and a little beyond, offset by some sugar. Masterful, rhubard like you never tasted it, I do like red cabbage salad with balsmatic vinegar, and it was a cousin to that taste. Supported by fruitiness, a tad strawberry and apricot. Good till the last drop.

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

On tap at Hop and Vine. Served far too cold, but I let this warm until it was a suitable temperature.

A: Reddish gold color with a whisp of lacing.

N: Funk, rhubarb, lemon, and straw. Has scents of cherry. Hazelnut and pecan.

T: Strawberry, rhubarbs, lemon, and horse blanket. Moderate sourness, but very well balanced. Citrus and straw. Yes, this very nice.

M: Perfect on the tongue. Dances on the tastebuds.

O: Glad this showed up in Portland. Would love to have this again. Maybe in 4 years?

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%