Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Apricot Lambic

Added by rastaman on 08-05-2002

Reviews: 513 | Ratings: 2,710
4.68/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Did a Cantillon night last week and this was hands down the best of five bottles, that included Blabaer. I wasn't even sure I liked apricots, since I don't think I've ever eaten one; but after this outstanding beer, I might have to give them a shot.

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

As a guy who doesn't choose lambics as a go to style for me, I was still extremely excited to try this for the first time. Had this at The Sovereign in DC, served tableside by the house Cicerone. I'm a sucker for Apricots so this has always been on my radar. This was a 2015 bottle, pours a yellow staw color with some haze. Lightly carb'd gives a very nice mouthfeel. There was fantastic fresh apricot upon first smell and taste, giving way to some tart and funky notes. This was not overly sour or funky, which I appreciated greatly. This was an easy drink and a really exceptional beer. Lucky to finally try it

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

2012 Vintage, poured into a taster. Surprisingly big apricot considering the vintage, a bit of barnyard funk...perfect carbonation, extremely drinkable. Great apricot lambic!

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours an orange-ish gold. Aroma of apricots and farmy funk. There's bright barnyard funk up front with juicy apricots on the finish. It's not too acidic, it's well balanced. I love the evolution of this fruited lambic on the palate. I don't think that there's anything I would change about Fou Foune. It's just so damn good.

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Depending on the year you get something new every time! Pours nice yellow orange color. The nose is full of apricot when fresh and then starts to fade off and give more of the funk from the yeast with some tart notes. The taste is wonderful with great fruit when fresh but then evolving into a more sweet and tart as it ages. nice carbonation and finishes crisp for a refreshing lambicthat is well deserved of all its praise.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I got a bottle of Cantillion's Fou' Foune for $24.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a very a long time and I can't wait to see what it's like, so lets see how it goes. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a green 750ml corked and caged bottle into a teku.

A- The label loos good, it's got a classic and artistic look to it, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on more of a brighter orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of fizzy and fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thing ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with some funky yeast aromas being the first to show up with a horse blanket and a wet straw like aroma and it leads into a noticeable sour aroma followed by the fruits with apricots showing up the most with some fruitiness in the background and the apricot has a nice natural aroma that isn't too overpowering. Towards the end comes a little more sourness with some fruitiness showing up towards the end. This beer has a great aroma, the apricot is showcased very well.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the apricot being the first to show up imparting some great fruit and apricot flavors and it's followed by a higher amount of sourness. Up next comes that same funky yeast that I got in the aroma, but this time it's a little lighter. and it's followed by a little bit of a malty flavor. On the finish comes more of that high sourness with a nice fruity aftertaste with a little funk. This is a great fantastic tasting beer, all the flavors work really well together.

M- Fairly smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, a little fizzy, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation and not too acidic. The mouthfeel is very good and it works great with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a fantastic beer and I thought it was a world class example of the style, I've had a couple apricot sours before, but this one took it to a whole other lever and it really proves why this beer is so highly regarded and searched after. This beer had nice drinkability, the sourness might wear on me, but since it's not too acidic I could see myself drinking the full bottle, especially if it was warm out. What I liked the most about this beer was that everything worked great together and nothing felt out of place. What I liked the least about this beer is nothing, it sucks it's so hard to find, but as far the beer goes there's not a single thing about it that I would change other than the availability. I would for sure buy this beer again if I see it again and I would recommend it to anyone who likes Sours and apricot sours. All in all I was impressed with this one, it really lives up to it's title of being world class and I would drink this often if I could easily get it. It made for a great first impression for this brewery and it's easily my favorite apricot sour and one of my favorite sours. Fantastic job guys, this is a world class beer.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

2015 cork.
My second time having it (previous was 2014). Consumed solo over poetry on a lovely spring afternoon.
Massive foam at pour fades to loose bubbles
The smell is apricots soaked in orange juice
Taste follows. Apricot is there, but it's mainly apricot skins. White grapes and orange pulp and tannins and some noble hop cheese? Or is that just the oak? Aggressively dry but not phlegmy. Apricot nicely present on aftertaste.
Rather full mouthfeel, which is where so many American approximations fall short.
Glorious!

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tasted along side a few other apricot sours, and this one showed quite well! Aroma is a smooth blend of fruity and floral, perfume like quality of fresh roses, some sweet apricot concentrate. Characteristic Belgian gueuze funk and undelying buteric acid, some lactic notes...some pepper. But oh so smooth and quite a treat. This one is clearly not a product of the Cantillon hype train...it is for real.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A delicious beer had on premise at Cantillon. 3/22/16. Typical delicious Cantillon sour funk to it with a bit of apricot flavor I noticed mostly as an aftertaste.

3.8/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-draught (!!!) @ Moeder Lambic in Brussels.

Served in a Moeder Lambic pint glass, which I thought odd. Cost was 11.60 euro/50cl.

HEAD: ~6cm wide. White colour. Gorgeously creamy and soft looking, with nice frothiness and a great robust consistency. Retention is stellar - easily 12+ minutes (longer than I could wait before my first sip). Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

BODY: Hazy orange-copper. Okay, not the most vibrant body I've seen, but it indicates a healthy lack of filtration. I see no yeast within.

Appears perfectly carbonated. The head is a real treat, but otherwise it isn't unique or special appearance-wise.

AROMA: Evokes apricot fully and expressively - fuck, that's vivid. Apricot flesh, apricot skin...it's all there and everything about it screams authentic; this isn't one of those garbage artificial apricot puree brews (I'm looking at you, Pyramid...or is it Widmer?). Wonderful tartness, Subtle but undeniable lambicus yeast and bacterial sourness, fruity esters, perfect sweetness...I can't wait to try this incredible smelling brew.

Aromatic intensity is average. Some sour lovers may crave still more tartness and sourness from the aroma, but I find it inviting as-is.

TASTE & TEXTURE: The Subtle smackiness of the mouthfeel accentuates the mild (~3-4/10 in terms of intensity) sourness while keeping it drinkable and approachable; a puckering warhead-like Lactobacillus-bomb this is not.

Apricots take center stage - genuine in every way, with no artificial apricot/apricot puree nonsense. Tart, though still more tartness would be divine. One of the freshest apricot flavours of any beer I've tried. It does flirt a bit with mango as well.

Mild funkiness. Faint suggestions of oak. No vinegar/acetic character.

Bacterial and lambicus yeast intangibles abound, lending this impressive subtlety. Balance is great, the build is impressive. Good depth of flavour.

Medium-bodied, decadently soft on the palate, smooth, wet, near perfectly carbonated. Constructively, more of a lighter, delicate, more fragile feel on the palate would be an improvement. But there's a nice harmony of texture and taste as-is.

Finishes more tart and sour than it begins.

OVERALL: In classic Cantillon fashion, it's a high quality fruited Lambic. Drinkability is high, but not ridiculous -the medium body does make it a bit more filling than most Cantillon lambics. As much as I adore this brew, given its high reputation I did hope for an even better beer. More tartness would really elevate it into the stratosphere, and more acidity and sourness wouldn't hurt.

It's possible the draught (ultra-fresh) version is less sour and funky than the bottled stuff (I can see the wild yeasts and bacterial taking hold more as it ages for a couple months); I look forward to finding out.

I found this superb, but not mind blowing, and in terms of fruited lambics from Cantillon, I prefer the kriek or the framboise - good thing Moeder Lambic has them from a cask for less than this costs.

Low B+ (3.80) / WORTHY

Finally got my "loon", met all hype IMO. Pure tart apricot juice & stone fruits. Funky horse blanket for sure. Simply mouth watering. Truly an experience, look forward to more from Cantillon

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

Look : Hazy bright yellow-golden color with white head - 4/5

Aroma : Great sour nose with balanced funkiness and apricot is really well mellowed into the beer. It's not like a apricot sour, it's more like a sour with apricot. - 10/10

Mouthfeel : Lots of carbonation, medium body - 5/5

Taste : Pretty sour, little bit funky, soft apricot flavor, it's just amazing. - 10/10

Overall : Beset sour beer I've ever had. This is what fruited sour should taste like. - 20/20

4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

This really looks the color of an apricot, juicy appearance, 1/3" white head that retains itself quite well, especially for a lambic. Aroma just drops all kinds of apricot and oak notes. Much like Filmishmish and Cascade Apricot, this is excellent, but has extra funk and brett going for it to up its aroma grade and firmly establish itself as the King. Its a clean funk, none of that wet horse blanket and manure or rubber stuff.

Taste drills your mouth with a 9 on the 1-10 sour scale. It really drops 9s for fruits and pucker power. Quite possibly the best lambic Cantillon makes, which also makes it possibly the best in the world.

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Did a side by side between a '14 and '15: A: Both are a golden, orangey color with a little ring of head. S: For the '15, it was all fruit. So much apricot and some funk...damn great. The '14 was a little less apricot and more funk...some vinegar smell as well. T: The same as the smell really, a bunch of fruit and that typical Cantillon funk...both just gorgeous. M: Medium to full, a little stinging carb. All around solid for a lambic. O: I loved both of these beers, I prefer the fresher to the aged, whereas others in the group liked the aged, it was just amazing. A true joy of an experience

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into St Somewhere tasting glass. Bottle was generously shared by Bob Sylvester at his brewery.

Funky, interesting Loon-y aroma, perfect carb, mouthfeel, color. Taste was sharply sour. Less apricot than I expected, and much more sour. But definitely wonderful.

4.91/5  rDev +8.4%

Goodness gracious. This beer is incredible. 2014 bottle consumed ~18 months later.

Wonderful aroma. Equally wonderful taste. Sour, funky, tart apricots. Light to medium mouth feel.

2014, drunk sept. 2015. Teku
Firm lactic sourness, no vinegar, underripe apricot, and the signature musty cellar funk that is the trademark of Jean van Roy's blends.
Golden color, short lived head, typical as far as sours go
Very quenching overall, paired well with salmon. Acidity higher than Boon's Geuze and less harsh than Hanssens

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

FINALLY got to try this guy. Poured from bottle to flute.

A- Beautiful, hazy orange the seems to radiate outward.
S- Tart and funky apricot skins. Some underlying sweetness. Barnish.
T- Wow. This definitely lived up to the hype for me. One of the greatest sours I have had. The funk doesn't mask the fruit but complements it.
M- Very smooth with some nice carbonation.
D- Dear Lord this was amazing. Hopefully I can snag a bottle in the future.

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

2015 vintage poured into a snifter

L - thick white head from the carbonation...a little cloudy

S - best smell of this type i've had...major fruity tart in the smell and some funk...minimal bready yeast stmell which usually is overpowering...a little grassy lemon too

T - acidic, sour apricot and stone fruit...really well balanced with some but not too much funk

F - smooth, flavors linger, and easy to drink

O - top of its class...worthy of the hype will seek this out again

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

2011 vintage next to the 2015. Wow, remarkable differences. The 2011 was beautifully funky and still had a lot of fruit. The 2015 was indeed tasting young, mostly fruit and brett. ISO old Fou :)!

Started the year off right with my first ever Cantillon. Fou demolished my already high expectations.

A - Pretty orange hue, thick dense white head.
S - WOW, slight funk but huge fruity presence.
T - WOW AGAIN, I have been building up my cellar and my palette trying the very best I could excluding Cantillon so I would truly appreciate awesomeness when it happened. Well it did.
M - Honestly I have to admit that the mouthfeel of this beer and what I would imagine all other Cantillon taste like, may be the best part about this beer. Smooth creamy full.
Overall - I debated for a good two days before the new year whether I wanted to crack this open or save it, glad I opened it to enjoy the creamy fruity deliciousness.

4.62/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

'15 from the bottle. Pours like peach juice with half finger off-white head. Smells of oak barrel and apricot. Taste is much the same. Apricot and fruity tart. Finishes with a wine oak. Feel is like a mimosa. A thicker juice with a strong but not overbearing carbonation.

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

a rating below 4.5 in any category means that you should either not be drinking this stuff or you aged it for way too long.
drinking a 2015 release. picked it up in November. stored in my cellar for the month. served at cellar temp.
perfect laced head well after the pour. great head upon pour. looks like liquid gold. sensational.
nose is pure lambic with a hint of cat piss and mango.
taste: as others said, not an apricot bomb, which is what makes this amazing. the lambic blends with apricot perfectly both on the front and the back of the tongue. you can taste them separately or together. it pairs so well. on the tart scale, it's high up there.
i wouldn't age this at all. it is perfect as it is now.

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the beer that got me into the sour game. Excellent representation of this style. Had it at zwanze day at the Armsby Abbey in Worcester MA. Would def love to get again if given the chance.

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

There are better reviews, but here we go. I had this 3 times at the brewery over the course of two days. 750ml bottle served in a lambic basket into their stemmed tasting glasses. It looks incredible, with the first pour being (of course) more clear than the last. With that said, there are still good clouds from the first to last pour. A good amount of head, one of the most out of the Cantillon's I had over the weekend. Almost an inch with a rigorous pour. Smell is of classic Cantillon lambic/gueze with just a hint of apricots. I don't get as much fruit as other people did. It's way more hidden than Framboise or Kriek. Great taste, with hints of apricot. In my opinion, not an apricot bomb whatsoever. Which is nice. Very balanced between funk, sourness, and fruit. Mouthfeel is great again, light with perfect carbonation. Obviously I recommend this, but I preferred LPF over this one. Two different beers that I am incredibly fortunate I had the opportunity to try.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon