Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Added by rastaman on 08-05-2002

#18

Ratings: 2,940 |  Reviews: 544
4.71/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Aaron and Paul who opened bottles with me recently. Review from notes.

A: Pours a golden peach color with a small white head on top that leaves a thin ring on top. Minimal lacing, very thin on the glass.

S: Great combination of tartness and light peaches and apricots. There is a little bit of lemon and oak with a bit of mustiness. Smells fantastic.

T: Great tartness, not overly sharp though. More apricot and peach with a little lemon and white grape underneath. A little bit of funk mixed in.

M: Light to medium bodied, extremely easy drinking.

O: Glad to have finally tried this one, was definitely a treat, and one of my favorite beers.

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

3.75/5  rDev -19.4%

4.69/5  rDev +0.9%

From 11/05/11 notes. HUGE thanks to Huhzubendah
for sharing this one at his birthday tasting; thanks Matthew! Been a big Want of mine for a while but have never had it, finally getting the chance to. Poured into my Cigar City tulip.

a - Pours a murky medium orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Apricot in color, which is pretty fitting.

s - Smells of fresh apricots, tropical fruits, sour fruits, brett and funk, light wood. Nose is a bit sweet and dominated by fresh sour apricots; I was pretty amazed how much they came through and how good it was. Wonderful sour nose if you like apricots.

t - Tastes of sweet and sour apricots, funk, oak, earthy notes, tart tropical fruits, sweet fruits, and brett. Again, very nice and sour, and a bit sweeter than the nose. Still outstanding, but a slightly step down from the nose.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, dry and acidic finish. Very easy to drink; felt like I could take down a whole bottle by myself and would like to.

o - Overall I thought this was a fantastic beer and glad to see it has lived up to what I hoped it would be. The nose is pretty much perfect; I loved how much the apricots came through in it. Something I will certainly try and get more bottles of, and would be itnerested to see how it ages because I thought it was pretty perfect fresh. If you like apricots, this is our outstanding sour.

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

I picked up this fantastic 2006 vintage bottle while I was down in florida at knightleys. Served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 03/09/2009.

The pour was fantastic looking. Rich orange and amber in color with a good amount of cloudiness and haze to it, enough that you could barely see through to the other side. Nice light puff of white on top that faded leaving only a little bit of lace on top.

The aroma was beautiful. Rich sour funkiness with huge touches of apricot mixed in. Light peppery and spice notes come through as it warms, but the sour funk was so hardcore. The flavor was puckeringly good. Rich apricot and apple vinegar sour notes are all over this one. As it warms like barrel notes, lots of spice and a long drawn out and very dry. Super drinkable and very refreshing, this was one of the best sours I have had. Worth the wait.

4.99/5  rDev +7.3%

see original bottle review below:
this taste was at Hunger N Thirst on tap:
A beautiful golden peach color with slight cloudiness wth thin white head and fine bead with lace that sticks. The smell is intensely fruity with tart aroma incredible how much peach is in the smell. The feel is great -not too sour as it has a nice level of acidity yet balanced well by the peach sweetness with moderately high carbonation and semi-dry and sour finish.

The flavor is almost better than I remember if that is possible - juicy tangy and tropical with a distinct woody quality from the lambic with a great acidity which brings you back for repeat tastes. The sour and sweet are intertwined with only a slight advantage to the slight vinous elements from wild fermentation. This is undoubtedly my all time favorite in this category and possibly beer in general I won't hesitate to keep seeking it out after many experiences have not let me down yet.

A - 4.5 Smell 5 Taste 5 Feel 5 Overall 5
this is one of those beers like Blåbær that I was anticipating trying some day, but when the opportunity actually presented itself I was extremely happy thanks stakem-enjoyed from a Cantillon tulip poured from a 750ml. My 1000th bottle review

The color of golden apricot with a translucent clarity and thin band of tightly compressed beads with slight lace pattern and very fine bubbles that rise slowly. The smell of floral esters and sweet fruit with a mild acidic yeast scent with the wild yeast giving off a lot of funkiness too, the apricot is mild in the nose but provides a slight fruity tangy aroma which is inviting. The mild tangy and dry combo is extremely pleasant with a fruity juiciness and moderately high carbonation provides a semi-dry overall feel with slightly puckering finish.

Fou'Foune has a totally complex amount of flavor with the apricot taste mixing sweet fruit with a tart and mild floral quality while at the same time mild spice and a woody tinge is blended in with slight lactic acidity which never seems to outdo the fruit, just augments it with a seriously intense amount of tropical notes. The apricot skin sour flavor comes out with slight lemony lactic tinges and hints of bitter tannin at times. The woody toastiness works very well alongside the floral and mild sweet flavors from the fruit. with a jammy apricot flavor the sour and complex amount of sweet tangy fruit notes linger until the last sip. The yeast at the end seems to give a more oaky quality that wasn't as evident in the first pour but even that is seriously tasty in its own way. The expectations for this beer were met and completely exceeded. A less aggressive sour than some cantillon beers but it impressed me even more with its balance. I am totally won over by this beer and the drinkability is ultra high to me.

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a goblet. Bottle dated August 19, 2011.

Appearance - Hazy, murky orange body with an ample, pillowy head. Continuous froth as I drink it. Couldn't look better for a lambic. It even looks the color of an apricot.

Smell - Beautiful, subtle apricot aroma. Slight acidity in the aroma. Not much funk, which is disappointing, but it's probably what allows the apricot aroma to be so perfect.

Taste - Slight apricot flavor immediately overtaken by lambic acidity. A bit of barnyard acidity and some hay and wheat flavors. The finish is slightly bitter, but it gives way to a nice apricot flavor in the finish. It's as if the apricot flavor is continuously there, but the lambic comes through and overwhelms it at certain points.

Mouthfeel - The lightest lambic I have had. Amazingly flavorful for so little body. It really allows the apricot to shine. Perfect carbonation, of course.

Overall - Cantillon really does a terrific job with fruit lambics. They're more acidic than funky, which allows the fruit to shine. In this case, the fruit flavor is perfect and manages to showcase without being a fruit bomb.

4.54/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Huge thanks to Deuane for busting this one out. I have been looking to try another one of these for a little while now. 2009 bottle.

A - Pours murky light orange with a big two finger tall white head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of lots of sourness, sharp apricot and even some peach, light funk, and some dry oak tannins. I would have preferred just a bit more fruit but it isn't a huge deal really.

T - Starts off with a big dose of tart sourness slowly giving way to a mix of ripe apricot, damp must, and some dry oak tannins. The sourness is strong but once it dies down a bit you can detect the great fruit core of this beer. The finish is a mix of sourness and light dryness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium-Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. It is very tart and dry in the feel lingering long after the finish. While the sourness is strong it straddles the line of being overpowering very well.

O - Easily one of the best sours out there. The sourness is strong but if you can get by it you are in for a treat. The fruit is a perfect complement to all that funky goodness. I can't wait to have this on-tap in a few days.

4.92/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to both Dyan and Joe for sending bottles of this to me recently. One of my favorite Cantillons!

A: The pour from a 2009 bottle is a hazy light golden yellow color with very minimal white foam on top.

S: An intense nose as always. Tons of lactic acidity, lemons, apricots, and green apples. The oak is a bit more pronounced than usual with a really nice wet hay and barnyard funk.

T: This is certainly one of the most acidic and sour Cantillon beers out there. A very sharp lemony tartness followed by some apricot, but not overly intense. Wonderful wet and musty funk and heavy oak components.

M: Light on the tongue but a powerful sourness that is tongue-buckling to say the least. A nice dry and tannic finish.

D: Easily one of my favorite beers (from Cantillon or otherwise). I could drink this stuff all day, and I'm glad to have another bottle.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.32/5  rDev -7.1%

Served in a tumbler at ChurchKey.

As I admitted to my bartender when I ordered it, I have no idea how to truly properly pronounce this beer's name, let alone attempt to define it. I was just excited to see such a touted lambic on draught in my neck o' the woods. It pours a hazy orange straw with a tall head of deeply longevitous (yeah, I said it...now, if only more people would use it...) white froth. As it died away, lingering on as the worst people tend to, it left some nebulous lacing behind. The smell wafting to me is of banana, peach, funk, flowers (pretty ones, I do believe), and a surprisingly healthy amount of vanilla. It's like brewer's potpourri. The taste doesn't bring this high esteem down any, either. Tart berries; sour peach, apple, and grape; a tiny bit of bitterness; and a slight hint of oak (or some kind o' wood, anyway) round out the puckering flavor profile. So this is a true Belgian lambic, eh? I'm impressed. The body is on the lightest end of the medium sub-spectrum, with a sharp, moderate carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. I may not be able to guzzle this tart monster, but I sure as hell want to. Get some!

4.94/5  rDev +6.2%

On draft at Churchkey in D.C. Served side by side with St.-Gilloise. Review from notes.

A: Fou' Foune is a hazy yellow color. There is 1/4 inch head that fades pretty rapidly, leaving no lace.

S: The aroma is incredible, with scents of a farm, barnyard, apricots, straw.

T: The beer tastes phenomenal. It's extremely tart. Extremely tart, I said. The flavor is bold and aggressive, with apricots and sour funk causing my cheeks to pucker in delight.

M: Upon completion of my second glass, I was really feeling the finish. I felt akin to a boxer that got hit with a lot of body shots over the course of a bout. The acetic finish grows stronger with every ounce. I...can't...stop...

D: It's truly sad that this beer will no longer be brewed.

***

A: Hazy yellow, small head and no lace.

S: Straw, hay, the great outdoors, farms, apricots. Ah, Cantillon has the most incredible aromas...

T: Extremely sour, even for Cantillon. My mouth puckers in delight. A beautiful and natural taste of apricots and barnyard funk.

M: Very tart with an acetic finish.

D: Delicious beer. Great for sharing a few ways.

Reviewed on: 04-04-2010

3.91/5  rDev -15.9%

Bottled 8/2011
Pours a deep clear golden color with a huge white head that slowly dissipates but remains a cap on the top. The aroma is quite tart with lemons and sour apricots dominating the nose. A solid hit of funk and light plastic phenol round out the nose. The flavor is fruity with apricots with a lemony tartness and hints of sour cherries and plums. A solid hit of horsey funk round out the flavor nicely. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a tart puckering mouthfeel. I think I'm going to go against the grain on this one a little bit here. This is a fine beer and I enjoyed it, but I can't see what all the hype is behind this one.

4.42/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 6 September 2016 poured and split into four different snifters. Looks like a golden hazy IPA but with a 1/2 inch fluffy white head. The smell is metalicy, rubber and vinegary. I also pick up some oak and barnyard funk! The taste is tart, acidic, light fruit, slight pepper and herbal notes. The feel is very mild and crisp, very inviting. Overall I wanted much more fruit but it was still tasty treat!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Vintage 2013, pours a hazy orange color with a little off white head. Huge apricots, citrus and slight funk on the nose. Tastes of peaches, apricots, citrus with a nice acidic sour, funk balance through out and leaves a pleasant dry tart finish. Each sip leaves me wanting more. One of my top 5 beers.

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

750ml bottle, filled about 3 months prior to the day we opened this. Split with Slatetank and Kegatron during a recent wild ale tasting. Poured into a matching Cantillon long stemmed tulip, this brew appears a clear golden yellow/orange color with a frothy white head that fades. Stringy patches of lace stick to the glass. A light swirl brings up a finger of yellowish stained froth.

The smell of this brew is packed full of fresh juicy peach/apricot character that is quite reminiscent of grandma's jelly. It has almost a floral component augmenting the sweet side of the aroma. A stunning bouquet of sweet, juicy fresh fruit fills the nose. There is a mildly funky backing that comes out more as the brew warms with a little bit of oaked quality.

The taste is tart and fruity with funk and a mild woodsy character. Juicy apricots and peach flavoring reside throughout the mouth with a faint grainy backing. Even as the nose eluded, there is even a touch of floral character to the taste as well. Faintly herbal across te back with an earthy aftertaste of natural peaches/apricots and bacterial funk.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. Very salivating and extremely satisfying across the board. There is no alcohol inclusion readily apparent despite the brew getting warmer than ideal during the session. I could absolutely kill this beer all day long. I would have no regrets choosing this as the only beer to drink for the rest of my life. A beautiful, perfect aroma is one of the best I have ever smelled in a beer. I strongly consider but hesitate giving this a perfect 5 rating... If a 4.99 rating were possible, that's what I'd give. I was lucky enough to have multiple draft pours of this beer 5 months ago so I knew what I was in for. Opening this bottle exceeded all expectations.

4.36/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells like cat piss, but tastes like heaven

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon