Cantillon Fou' Foune | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Apricot Lambic

Added by rastaman on 08-05-2002

Ratings: 2,911 |  Reviews: 542

Big thanks to huskermike for the trade on this one - definitely one of my top "wants" and I couldn't be more excited to finally try it. Shared with Mike as part of our mini sour tasting. Fou Foune pours a cloudy and slightly rustic, sunburst shade of amber. The foamy white cap sits generously at two fingers; big and bubbly, leaving a little bit of lacing along the sides of the glass.

The intense aroma of Fou' Foune starts infiltrating my nostrils as soon as the cork gets popped. Bringing the glass close to my face just launches me into complete beer nirvana. Holy fuckin' smokes. Crazy amounts of tart, sour, and funk just completely obliterate my sense of smell for moments at a time - peaches, apricots, apple skins, light lemons... The fruits just unleash their inner tartness and send my brain into a frenzy.

Fou' Foune is so deliciously sour and tart, juicy and fresh, clean and inviting, it's unbelievable. Funk is no stranger either, with heavy amounts of barnyard, hay, and cellar funk clashing so elegantly with the fruit. Acidic all the way, with some milder vinous and vinegar notes hidden amongst the ruckus. The smell is simply mind-blowing, and it left me smelling the empty bottle, long after the night was over.

I just kept hoping that such a beautiful aroma was a promissory note for how amazing the beer was going to taste. Sometimes the aroma can build up your expectations, only to be let down once the liquid washes over your palate. So I take my first sip, and any expectations I had were just annihilated - completely blown out and blown up. If there really was a "nectar of the gods," it was Fou' Foune.

My tongue is met immediately with a gorgeous bouquet of peaches, apples, apricots, and white grapes. Fruits so fresh, ripe, juicy, and tart, you wouldn't believe it if I told you. Start to finish, the sourness lasts and keeps your saliva glands pumping, but the tartness is controlled so perfectly and elegantly as to keep the beer drinkable without turning astringent. How is this possible?

Fou Foune offers an incredible stinging of the senses, and I mean that in the best way possible. The everlasting tartness is backed up with a moderate fruity sweetness that provides a good balance and only adds to the already insane drinkability. Little hints of wood, oak, and funk just pop in and out throughout the jungle of fruity goodness. Cork, hay, barnyard, funky yeast - added in seemingly perfect amounts.

More copious amounts of oak and musty cellar funk in the finish compliment the fading tartness and fruity sweetness in the most elegant way possible. Thin-medium bodied with a surprisingly large presence for a 5% ABV lambic, crisp and sharp mouth feel with a ton of carbonation. It feels nice and drinks easily enough.

My expectations for Fou' Foune were high, and they were surpassed beyond belief. This is such a masterful beer in nearly every sense of the word. Most definitely the best sour I've had to date, and possibly the best beer I've ever had, period. Fou' Foune is a masterpiece, a work of art, and a one-of-a-kind benchmark of the style. Make it your life-goal to get your hands on Fou' Foune if you haven't already.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon