Cantillon Fou' Foune | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Apricot Lambic

Added by rastaman on 08-05-2002

Reviews: 525 | Ratings: 2,782

Big thanks to huskermike for the trade on this one - definitely one of my top "wants" and I couldn't be more excited to finally try it. Shared with Mike as part of our mini sour tasting. Fou Foune pours a cloudy and slightly rustic, sunburst shade of amber. The foamy white cap sits generously at two fingers; big and bubbly, leaving a little bit of lacing along the sides of the glass.

The intense aroma of Fou' Foune starts infiltrating my nostrils as soon as the cork gets popped. Bringing the glass close to my face just launches me into complete beer nirvana. Holy fuckin' smokes. Crazy amounts of tart, sour, and funk just completely obliterate my sense of smell for moments at a time - peaches, apricots, apple skins, light lemons... The fruits just unleash their inner tartness and send my brain into a frenzy.

Fou' Foune is so deliciously sour and tart, juicy and fresh, clean and inviting, it's unbelievable. Funk is no stranger either, with heavy amounts of barnyard, hay, and cellar funk clashing so elegantly with the fruit. Acidic all the way, with some milder vinous and vinegar notes hidden amongst the ruckus. The smell is simply mind-blowing, and it left me smelling the empty bottle, long after the night was over.

I just kept hoping that such a beautiful aroma was a promissory note for how amazing the beer was going to taste. Sometimes the aroma can build up your expectations, only to be let down once the liquid washes over your palate. So I take my first sip, and any expectations I had were just annihilated - completely blown out and blown up. If there really was a "nectar of the gods," it was Fou' Foune.

My tongue is met immediately with a gorgeous bouquet of peaches, apples, apricots, and white grapes. Fruits so fresh, ripe, juicy, and tart, you wouldn't believe it if I told you. Start to finish, the sourness lasts and keeps your saliva glands pumping, but the tartness is controlled so perfectly and elegantly as to keep the beer drinkable without turning astringent. How is this possible?

Fou Foune offers an incredible stinging of the senses, and I mean that in the best way possible. The everlasting tartness is backed up with a moderate fruity sweetness that provides a good balance and only adds to the already insane drinkability. Little hints of wood, oak, and funk just pop in and out throughout the jungle of fruity goodness. Cork, hay, barnyard, funky yeast - added in seemingly perfect amounts.

More copious amounts of oak and musty cellar funk in the finish compliment the fading tartness and fruity sweetness in the most elegant way possible. Thin-medium bodied with a surprisingly large presence for a 5% ABV lambic, crisp and sharp mouth feel with a ton of carbonation. It feels nice and drinks easily enough.

My expectations for Fou' Foune were high, and they were surpassed beyond belief. This is such a masterful beer in nearly every sense of the word. Most definitely the best sour I've had to date, and possibly the best beer I've ever had, period. Fou' Foune is a masterpiece, a work of art, and a one-of-a-kind benchmark of the style. Make it your life-goal to get your hands on Fou' Foune if you haven't already.

I am not a fan of apricots but I am a fan of sour beers and this is one that does not dissapoint. The tart feeling that you get when you sip it and then the tasty fruity flavor that envelops your mouth keeps you coming back for more. My only downfall with this is that I cannot get this all the time. It is a special treat for those beer lovers that know and appreciate a good beer when they taste one. If you ever see this beer on a list somewhere it is definetly worth a try!

epic bottle share at Zwanze Day, Green Bench Brewery, St Petersburg, Fla.
4oz pour From 2014 750ml bottle. Thanks to who ever brought it.
By far my favorite Cantillon offering to date. exploding with complexity. Perfect in every way.

2011 bottle. Thanks to liamt07 for sharing this one.

A - Cloudy orange/yellow. One finger of white head formed and receded to a thin layer.

S - Sour and funky up front with a fresh sweet apricot aroma.

T - The apricot is more prominent than in the nose and adds a nice juicy fresh fruit profile to the beer. The tartness is perfect with a nice amount of funk balancing out the fresh, sweet fruit. Perfection.

M - Medium body, moderate to high carbonation.

What can I say that hasn't been said? World class! Funky apricots jammed right in your face. There's a reason this is one of the most highly sought after beers in the whole world.

This is the best, and most balanced sour I have ever had. It is just unreal. This is what a sour should be. Thanks to my buddy who was kind enough to share this bottle. If you like sours, you will fall in love with this beer. I would pay lots of money for a full case of this stuff. Just a very special beer.

Refreshing apricot! so natural and real.
(16oz)
Pour- light hazy orange
Smell- Apricot and wild Belgium yeast.
Taste- Fresh apricot, with a Belgium twist.
O- very dangerous beer, too darn good.

This is my first review on BA. I waited quite some time before I decided to start reviewing beer. I waited until I had a better trained pallet and understanding of beer, so enough about me lets talk about this wonderful delight known as Fou Foune. I shared a 2010 with Shades Of Gray who so graciously opened my eyes to many Cantillons. First the look of this beer was very appetizing. Its an burnt orange-ish color and leaves a very nice head, full of lacing. Smell is very fruity, definitely strong apricot notes and some funk. Taste, WOW, I'm blown away. Very tart (as to be expected). Just a perfect mesh of carbonation, tart, apricot, and some what earthy in a very good way. The only bad thing I can say about this beer is it left me wanting more. Extremely quenching to the taste buds. . Again Big thanks to Shades Of Gray.

On tap at Monk's on Zwanze day with the JJ. The most subtle delicious sour I've ever had. No punch you in the face sour patch kids here. Had multiple other cantillon in addition to pliny the elder on tap. Amazing birthday weekend.

Found a 2014 bottle at Jazz Bar in Barcelona. Amazing looking beer with depth of color changing in the light. The smell is incredible the sour funk an apricots, lovely. The taste is just smile inducing, could drink it day after day, depth is the key sour, fruit, funk and smooth clean finish.

Dated 25 August, 2011. Taking Jean van Roy's advice, I am drinking this just a little over a year old. Thanks to Don L. for getting me a bottle at the Alvinne Craft Beer Festival.

Hazy orange gold body--infused by the color of apricots. Poured into a tulip, a half inch head was produced that quickly dissipated completely.

Clean sour and sweet apricot notes, old wood and vanilla.

Bright and delightfully tart taste of fresh apricots. There is just a bit of funkiness ending with a little bitterness, probably from hops as the website says the apricots are pitted. Dry finish.

Light body with fizzy carbonation, this drinks like champagne even when the foam is gone.

Terrific. One of the most delicious and most unique beers in the world. I really can't find anything to fault. Though I am sorry to have consumed my only bottle.

Started the year off right with my first ever Cantillon. Fou demolished my already high expectations.

A - Pretty orange hue, thick dense white head.
S - WOW, slight funk but huge fruity presence.
T - WOW AGAIN, I have been building up my cellar and my palette trying the very best I could excluding Cantillon so I would truly appreciate awesomeness when it happened. Well it did.
M - Honestly I have to admit that the mouthfeel of this beer and what I would imagine all other Cantillon taste like, may be the best part about this beer. Smooth creamy full.
Overall - I debated for a good two days before the new year whether I wanted to crack this open or save it, glad I opened it to enjoy the creamy fruity deliciousness.

2014, drunk sept. 2015. Teku
Firm lactic sourness, no vinegar, underripe apricot, and the signature musty cellar funk that is the trademark of Jean van Roy's blends.
Golden color, short lived head, typical as far as sours go
Very quenching overall, paired well with salmon. Acidity higher than Boon's Geuze and less harsh than Hanssens

2011 bottle. Drank the entire thing myself. Actually the wife had a little bit but not much. Smells great. A little like powdered lemonade. Looks beautiful. The color of apricots. Fizzy head at first dissipates quickly. Taste is astounding. Not overly sour at all. Very drinkable. It has lost some
Of the apricot I imagine but who cares. The best beer of its style
That I've ever had. Had my own little Zwanze day over here

- 2014 vintage
- Off tap @ Beachwood (LBC) on 7-Nov-14
- 10 oz. pour into a wheat beer glass

Fresh apricot with perfect balance of sour and tartness. Best apricot beer and one of the best sours I've had to date.

It has been 6 or more months since I've had this...but it still haunts my memories of what great Cantillon can be. For sure this is not one to age. I've learned...I'll be drinking my next bottle days after I have it home and the sediment has settled. If you can buy it...YOU'RE DAMN LUCKY.

Finally got my "loon", met all hype IMO. Pure tart apricot juice & stone fruits. Funky horse blanket for sure. Simply mouth watering. Truly an experience, look forward to more from Cantillon

Well obviously this was amazing it's world class and easily sets the standard. I've had the opportunity to taste it both out of the bottle and on tap and both blow you away. Don't really need to get into details on it besides believe the hype.

Drank at the brewery. The bottle was a year old, and if the apricot had faded at all, it would be hard to tell. Also, had a fresh bottle afterwards generously handed out by Jean-Pierre to each table. It had yet to undergo the secondary fermentation, so was obviously quite different. And while not as great as a normal bottle, it was certainly interesting.

Review (11 months of age)- 75cl bottle from August 2012- so nearly a year old- given to me as a gift from Eduardo and shared at a whale tasting last night, 7/13/2013.. poured into a Cantillon stemmed wine glass.

Wow! This beer's nose is basically a lot of acidity along with a delicious apricot fruitiness. There is a good bit of the lambic earth funk that I've come to associate with Cantillons- same kind of smell that you get when you walk into the brewery. But this is a milder funk as the apricot is very strong here.

The beer itself pours a hazy golden-orange body that is very well carbonated, with a massive >3cm head that takes a while to recede and never fully goes away. Lacing is very nice. Just what I would expect from a good Cantillon.

When this beer finds its way into my mouth, it is just so perfectly balanced in terms of the sourness, fruitiness, acidity and funk. It all comes together to create a sweet apricot accentuated with some lemon tartness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel-wise, its more or less what Cantillons bring to the table. Medium bodied, no dryness at all in the finish, sweet but not in a sugary way. The tartness is refreshing and makes for a delicious, refershing in-between beer between Bramble Rye and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

This is the best Cantillon I've had and that includes the Lou Pepes.. it's just slightly above Saint Lamvinus, which is a bit unfair as both beers are different. This one brings out the apricot which is definitely strong here like the cherries in a Lou Pepe Kriek, etc. but without the apricot being overwhelmingly sweet. It is so well-balanced and easy to drink. Incredibly refreshing and flavourful. Eduardo tells me that he considers Cantillon to be bottled art. If that is the case, Fou' Foune is a true masterpiece in a bottle and Jean Van Roy is Peter Paul Rubens. This beer is definitely in my top 5 of all time.

Re-reviewed (3 months of age)
Opened up another 75cl bottle from August 2013 on 11/26/2013. So 3 months old the second time around. Poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass. Basically the same as the previous review (with 1 year on it), except this is definitely less acidic and the apricots come out quite a bit more, especially in the nose which is even more perfect than it was before. Phenomenal nose, one of the best smelling beers I've had. Flavour-wise, I preferred the 1-year old bottle's acidity and sourness, but I can definitely appreciate the apricots here more. And the mouthfeel is phenomenal- so well carbonated, so creamy. Reminds me of Hill Farmstead's pale ales actually. But so substantial yet drinkable and refreshing. This beer's appearance isn't as sexy and tempting as its sister beer Blabaer, but the beer is otherwise perfect in my mind.

Re-reviewed (6 months of age): 75cl bottle from August 2013, generously bought over by Dustin at our celebratory whale tasting. Cheers to good friends! Poured into a Three Floyds teku glass today, 3/22/2014. Basically, the beer looks just the same as any of the other times. Smell is very apricot-forward still, but I appreciated more tartness, horseblanket funk. Best thing is that this bought out a lot of geuze-like lemon tartness, pepperiness on top of the funk in the nose. Incredible, sweet yet complex nose. Flavour is very similar- the geuze-like characteristics stand out far more than fresh. Lemon zest, pepperiness, barnyard Cantillon funk. It reminds me so much of Armand'4 Zomer. And you throw some fresh apricot juice on top of that? This merely reinforces how much I love this beer. And mouthfeel is a bit thinner and less creamier than fresh, but still very much medium bodied and refreshing. Again, the only conclusion I'll draw from this is: this is still my favorite beer ever.

Re-re-reviewed (2 months of age): 2014 vintage. Bottled 21 August 2014. Thanks Tim! Poured into a Cantillon balloon glass 10/19/2014 for our first anniversary. Essentially, I just want to re-reconfirm that fresh Fou' Foune is delicious, and this year's Fou' Foune is not lacking in apricots. The best advice I have to anyone who's opening up a bottle soon is to serve it at cellar temperature, aerate it and let it warm up a bit- the apricots truly come out as clean, crisp stone fruits in the nose that dance along your palate as you sip it. Great mouthfeel, soft, velvety but with a nice crisp, dry and thirst-quenching finish. There is no defect to be found in this beer- it is still my favorite beer after all this time, and worthy of its status.

Fresh 2015 vintage. Poured into a Cantillon balloon glass 1/30/2016. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, but this 2015 vintage is drinking quite well. Plenty of stonefruit on the aroma and flavour, nice perfectly ripened apricot flesh paired with the classic brewery funk, mild acetic presence, mild wheat. Again, it encapsulates the perfect essence of what a fruit lambic can be, and accomplishes that in spades.

2013 from 750mL bottle. What can I say? Perfect sour. Love the fruit forward flavor and thicker (for a sour) mouthfeel. Definitely need me some more of this stuff.

WOW. WOW. WOW. Right now this is my favorite beer of all time. It's right up my alley for flavor. I struggle to get peach on any other peach sour, and this one is different. There is so much peach and tartness on the finish. The carbonation and mouthfeel is perfect. 5/5 for me all day.

21 Aug 2014 - Bottle

A: Fou Foune poured with small bright white foam that quickly dissipated. Hazy golden yellow color with tiny bubbles grasping to stay on top of this beautiful beverage. Swirling gave the wine glass a slight lacing that slipped away each time. Only bringing to life the beautiful aroma of the beer. (5)

S: Big funky brett character with the classic Cantillon hay and light barnyard funk mixed with light oak. The peach and apricot fresh fruit aroma danced from the glass along with a moderately strong tartness that became more pronounced as it warms up. Complex at every turn, it seems to evolve as its being consumed. (5)

T: Bright sourness at a medium to strong level that gives way to a complex brett funky character. Hay, ripe apricot, peach and nectarine flavor - But that's just the beginning. Oak is mild and develops more with the time on the tongue. Light sweetness morphs to an acute tart mouthfeel. Fantastically Complex (5)

M: Dry finish with mild carbonation that leaves a crisp refreshing body. No harshness at all. The sourness leaves a tingling cheek sensation. While you could drink this fast - Don't - savor every drop. (5)

O: The complex classic Cantillon Lambic flavors combined with fresh apricot is a perfect match. If you're fortunate to see this beer buy it, if not trade for it. Even better travel to Belgium and have it at the Brasserie (like I did) - Nothing beats it. (5)

L: Pours a light haze, peach/apricot color. Very little head.
A: Let the beer warm up in your glass. As the beer warmed, the apricots were jumping out. Get notes of peach/apricot, little citrus, orange peel, and of course the signature Cantillon sour funk
T: Apricots, peach, tartness (not too much just a little), lots of funk, grapefruit, orange peel
M: Tartness and funk are present for a little after swallowing. And boy does that apricot flavor linger yumm...

Overall: A fantastic beer, please try it if you can. Probably my favorite apricot sour that I have tried so far. Gonna be hard to beat this one.

This is really a fantastic beer, it has it all.
Sour and the fruit they use within one match perfectly with the lambic.

I could advise everybody to taste this one no mather what the price is!

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon