Cantillon Fou' Foune | Brasserie Cantillon

Apricot Lambic

Added by rastaman on 08-05-2002

Reviews: 523 | Ratings: 2,765
4.89/5  rDev +7.9%

On handpump at Teresa's Next Door during their 2011 sour event. I believe this is the most recent batch available. Drank from a wine glass.

A: Bright clear golden color pouring a frothy white head which clears into a small ring around the glass. Some nice lacing as well. Beautiful.

S: Aroma starts with some interesting fruit aromas including: chardonnay grapes, apricot, bitter orange, and other various citrus fruits. There is also a nice leathery, earthy character produced form the Brett. This is not an aroma I would describe as 'Barnyard'. Relatively clean and more focused the fruity earthy characteristics. Not too much acid on the nose either. Extremely complex and outstanding!

T: The fruity notes on the nose translate into the flavor as well. Although this is an apricot lambic, chardonnay is the strongest characteristic I get. The acid is much more pronounced in the flavor of the beer including strong tangerine notes. The finish is puckering and dry with light earth, leather, and oak flavors. Like no other lambic I have ever tried. More comparable to Russian River Temptation.

M: Nice medium body with strong champagne carbonation with a nice prickly, puckering effect. Desirable tannic, drying qualities in the finish. The carbonation is surprising for a cask conditioned beer. That goes to showcase the super attentuative cantillon strains.

O: Simply put, this is the best blended lambic I have ever had. This will be a tuff one to beat as well. This is also the most refreshing sour beer I have ever tasted. Bravo!

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%

2013 vintage into Iris balloon.

Pours as I remember, pale gold with burnt yellow highlights, hazy, with a nice creamy white head that lingers nicely and shows off the beers effervescence.

The nose is filled with that soft, young house Cantillon character with the addition of juicy apricot flesh, aromatic peach fuzz, crushed strawberry at a distance, and a guava like perfume that intoxicates the senses. One of those classic, time transcending aromas that you will always remember when good lambic comes to mind.

Flavor is more in line with the rustic nature of lambics. Still plentiful fruit notes but geared towards raw, fleshy and softly acidic apricot and nectarine, hints of apple, white grape flesh, and kiwi twang. Subtle brett funk in the form of dough, over ripe pineapple, fresh pasture, and wet earth are here, but just barely perceptible. It's mostly fruit slapping those taste buds around.

Mouthfeel is typically perfect as usual with Cantillon beers. I think the outstanding mouthfeel of Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen is the main thing that makes them stand out from other lambic blenders. Armand and Jean Van Roy just seem to have perfected this part in Gueuze and lambic production. Light, prickly but not ultra bubbly. Dry with the perfect amount of lactic acid pucker. But then you get that malic acid fruit tanginess as well. Heavenly mouthfeel.

Overall, once again I'm knocked back to reality. Reality being that Belgian lambics are still king of the sour beer world. You get caught up with the American sour beer scene that you almost forget the superiority of Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen when it comes to "sours", "wilds", or whatever you want to call it. On top of those two you also have Rodenbach, De Cam, and Boon also putting out some top notch stuff. Give me an Apricot Mariage Parfait and I just may come in my pants. But babble aside, Fou Foune continues to be that gracious creation it's always been, and a beer by which all other sours should be measured against.

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Cracked open a 2005 750mL bottle. Drank out of a Lost Abbey tulip.

Wow, this beer is beyond tart. If you're into sours and feel like someone is drilling into your jaw, this is the beer for you (in a pleasant way). Not much of a head, poured a golden-orange like color. Smells of barnyard funk, not much apricot on the nose. Then suddenly, upon the first sip, the tartness was crazy. From a vinegar like acidity, to a punch in the face with apricots (I am salivating as I am writing this review). Compared to the 2011 one which was more juice-like, this beer developed significantly throughout the years. Nice carbonation in the mouth, extremely drinkable.

We were 3 heads on this bottle and no matter how tart it was, it was extremely drinkable. Easily now in my top 5 sours.

I think it's at its peak. Fantastic.

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Depending on the year you get something new every time! Pours nice yellow orange color. The nose is full of apricot when fresh and then starts to fade off and give more of the funk from the yeast with some tart notes. The taste is wonderful with great fruit when fresh but then evolving into a more sweet and tart as it ages. nice carbonation and finishes crisp for a refreshing lambicthat is well deserved of all its praise.

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

750ml bottle, 2006 vintage received from Dyan. Thanks!

Appearance: Pulling off the wrapper, uncapping the crown and remove the cork is always a messy process with Cantillon beers, usually leaving you covered in mold and other foul-smelling matter. This one's no exception, and may even be worse than any others I've encountered. Between the black mold underneath the bottle cap, the white muck under the wrapper and the grey ooze that seeps from the cork, I have to wonder what this beer is doing to my innards. Fuck it all though, with a beer this delicious you can't worry about what it's doing to your stomach lining or general health. Rambling aside, the beer itself pours a milky wheat color, not far off from the appearance of their gueuze. Cloudiness is significant, but then again, I made no effort to let the sediment settle in this bottle. A vigorous pour left me with a couple inches of head with rather large bubbles, and though it leaves no lacing, retention is pretty good for this style of beer.

Smell: Apricots. Sour, unripened apricots. It's remarkable how much the fruit shines through in the aroma. Before opening this bottle, I wasn't sure how well the fruit would stand up against the acidity of Cantillon lambic (astoundingly well, is the answer). Beyond the fruit, there's plenty of signature Cantillon funk too, but the apricots really steal the show. Awesome, maybe the best nose I've come across on a fruit lambic.

Taste & mouthfeel: Intensely sour, like taking a big bite from an unripened apricot. Again to my surprise, there's a ton of apricot flavor here, and it works beautifully with the bracingly acidic lambic. Even by Cantillon standards, this is sour stuff. I can't see my stomach faring well by the end of this bottle, but that's not going to stop me from finishing it (slowly). The mouthfeel is light and bubbly, with all the signature dryness and acidity people have come to expect from Cantillon, and alcohol is never really felt. Simply an awesome beer, one that I wish was available locally so that I could grab a few to cellar.

Notes on other vintages:

2001: With 9 years of age on it, this batch is still very fruity, lactic, lemony. Sharp sourness. Not as fruity as some of the fresher batches, but still excellent.

2003: Unusually turbid and thick. Not a lot of fruit here compared to newer vintages, though it does come through. Strong lactic sourness, funky, somewhat one-dimensional. Not one of the best batches, but enjoyable.

2004: Musty and slightly metallic, big lactic character, strong apricot skin aroma and flavor. Seemed a bit past its prime to me.

2005: Bottled opened early 2011. Extremely sour, one of the most intensely sour batches of beer I've tried from Cantillon, in fact. Moderate funk, little oak or fruit. Enjoyable in small quantities, the acidity is pretty intense.

2007: Extremely sour and simple with mild fruit and barrel character, one of the weaker batches of FF.

2008: Similar sourness to the 2007 batch but with a big juicy apricot character to balance it, excellent.

2009: Big apricot character with restrained sourness compared to previous vintages. Very oaky, tannic, fruity. Quite good, might be my favorite vintage. As of late 2010, it seems to have become more sour and less tannic with age.

2010: Fresh this is very fruity and bright, lightly sour and funky, less oaky than the '09 was fresh. Amazing apricot bouquet. Very enjoyable, sourness should increase with age. Another great vintage.

2011: Fresh, this one is less fruity and slightly more sour than the previous two vintages. Not as interesting to me as the '09 and '10 batches. Still very good.

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle from Monument Liquor in Concord. Great store!

Pours a light... apricot... color, a cloudy yellow-orange with a relatively sparse, but dense head. Aroma is an immediate signature Cantillon sour yeast element, but ripe fresh apricots are blended beautifully into this one. The sour lemony acetic quality of the lambic is divine paired with the apricots in this. A joy to inahale. The taste is a blast of the sourness I adore from Cantillon paired with a complex fruitiness. What is biting into a fresh lemon at one moment tastes like sour apricots the next moment, or orange zest. If I dare sayso, this is one of the best authentic authentic fruit lambics I have tasted. Body is light, with tight medium carbonatioon that leaves me puckered. As sour as this is, the fruit really enhances everything from aroma to drinkability. Lasting tart apricot finish keeps me going back for another sip. Exceptional.

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottled 8/09, consumed 5 months later. This is my first Cantillon beer, I'm excited to try it.

Pours with a finger of white head over a murky golden orange body. A quarter inch of foam sticks around begging to be swallowed away.

I can smell funk from 2 feet way. Sticking my nose closer, I actually get a bit more citrus fruit than I do tart funkiness (though it is definitely still there). Very appetizing, like apricot or peach flavored candy. Some light band aid and cobweb. Notes of white grapes, banana peel, and sunflowers. I can barely take my nose out of the glass.

Oh wow, the taste caught me off guard. Didn't catch too much acidity in the nose but the taste is another story. Puckering like someone just dumped sour powdered candy on my tongue. Rich, luscious fruit flavor underneath. Apricots, peaches, grapes, apples. After a few swallows the acid begins to become less surprising, and the deep funkiness underneath peeks through. I'm think I'm swallowing dirty gym socks. I feel like I just took a deep breath while changing my vacuum filter. But then that juicy citrus flavor comes rushing back with each sip temporarily wiping it all away...until it returns in the finish. My senses are stretched to their limits with the complexity of this wonderful liquid. As I swish it around my mouth before swallowing I am then greeted by the most pleasant, longest finish in my recent beer drinking memory.

Body is medium, perhaps medium/full for the style. Good levels of carbonation. Very dry, but enough citrus character sticks around to make for a long finish.

This glass is disappearing quickly, but the overall palate and sense destroying nature of it would make me want to limit my intake. Still, seriously drinkable for the style.

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

75cl bottle with an awesome picture of an apricot on the label. No rust on the overwrap or crown...cool 2001 Edition. $30!

Cuvee FouFoune De Cantillon - Ingredients: Amitie 100% comprenant:

-Lambic Cantillon: biere de froment et de malt de fermentation spontanee, 2 ans de vieillissement en futs de chene.
-Abricots, variete Bergeron a raison de 300gr de fruits par litre de biere. Temps de maceration: mois.
-La planete Bergeron n'est visible que de la lune.

and so it begins...

Wow, I really though that the St. Lamvinus was the best lambic beer in the world, but this brew really gave the St. Lamvinus a run for its money! This brew was delivered to me courtesy of a beer trade.

Appearance: The hard pour reveals a peach coloured golden liquid, that is murky, milky and cloudy. The head is fluffy, white and large, but it fades quickly leaving only a trace amount of fluffy white bubbles on the perimiter of my drinking vessle. Personally, I think this looks awesome, but I have to dock it .5 on the appearance scale.

Smell: For a Cantillon the smell of this beer is very different and intriguing. The traditionl notes of earth, wood, barnyard funk, etc...are all here, but I also smell a lovely dry apricot aroma, and several distinctly different fruity aromas, these tend to be citrus-like in nature. Lemon peels, orange rinds, and dry fermenting peaches and/or apricots all come to mind.

Taste: Make no mistake, even though the aroma of this brew is very soft for a traditional Cantillon offering the taste is Cantillon all the way. The soft apperance and intriguingly fruity aroma of this brew only lead you blindlessly into the shocking taste of the first sip of this brew. This is incredibly acidic and sharp upfront. When the acidity finally subsides the citrus like tones of lemon, orange zest, and other fruits shines through. The middle is very dry (obviously) with hints of earth, barnyard, fruity, juicy apricots, and more. The finish is bone dry and saliva stripping with the apricots softening the blow of this brew a bit. All in all this is one fantastic tasting beer!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel of this beer is very lively, carbonated, and lucious. The fine bottle conditioning of this ale make each and every bubble grasp onto your tongue and into the crevisces of your mouth, delivering a very high ratio of FPSI [flavor per square inch]!

Drinkability: The drinkability of this beer is exceptional, only marred a bit by the fact that this is just so damn acidic up front. Despite the soft apperance and different aromas of this brew, the taste is 100% cantillon all the way. However, I have to ask myself what a VERY fresh sample would taste like? The 3 years of aging surely stripped away some of the fresh fruit flavors and aromas and replaced them with some more classic lambic funk!

Overall: Holy shit, a mouth watering, saliva sucking, traditional Belgian lambic beer with Bergeron Apricots as the secondary sugar source? Who else, but Mr. Van-roy would think about, or attempt to make a beer like this, and suceed so damn well at it!? Do yourself a favor and pick this up if it is available at your local store. Sure it is $30 or so, but it is definately worth the price asked for it. Or, If you ever get over to Belgium you can get this for under $10 a bottle and haul some back with you. Not as perfect as there gueuze, or the insanely good (and expensive) St. Lamvinus, but it's pretty f'in close!

Jean Pierre Van Roy is simply one of the best brewers in Belgium, and the world! Cheers to you sir!

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Intense apricot and peach aroma. Awesome stinging carbonation. A tad bigger body compared to similar products. Quite a bit of sediment in my bottle (2012) which translated to extremely cloudy pours with floaters. Not a huge deal, but would have liked that brilliant orange everyone talks about.

4.86/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: pours a light milky straw color. Less than a finger of a white head forms with a strong retention. as it swirls around semi solid lacing. it has a Milky haze and is completely opaque.

Smell: apricot, funky. Sour. Vinegar. Light wheaty base

Taste: opens with juicy apricots to nectarine flesh, lots of fruity flavors mostly citrus and stone fruit. in the middle comes a barnyard funk along with some solid oak flavors. lemon juice and a very light acidity comes through. slight wheat malt backbone. mild to low vinegar

Mouthfeel: lighter feel, quite a bit of funkiness but nothing over powering. some vinegar and a light acidity. very strong refreshing qualities.

Overall: a seriously killer beer. has all the funk you could want while remaining not only drinkable but refreshing as well. amazing fruit and sour qualities.

4.86/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Wife said it smelled like a mix of a gym locker and dirty socks. I told her that's an exquisite description and exactly what I was hoping for. Everything about this beer is stellar and lives up to the hype. Nearly flawless, gym sock funk and all.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

2009 vintage. Poured from a 750ml capped and corked bottle into a Cantillon Iris glass.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger frothy white head that never really dissipates and gives me a creamy mustache every time I take a sip. Beer is a clear goldenrod with a slight shade of faded orange. Lacing is near non-existant with patches that cling here and there.

S: Nose is mindblowingly funky. Hints of barnyard, straw, tart apricot, cobwebs, must. Tickles the nose throughout.

T: Opens very tart, puckering lemon and citrus with overtones of Brett funk. Apricot sourness sneaks in at the middle and takes this one to another level. Funkiness intensifies tremendously at the back end and towards the finish as it dries the mouth. Moth balls, cobwebs, and bandaid right at the end just before a clean finish and a brief, fruity, apricot finish.

M: Light to medium bodied and highly carbonated. Lively and prickly in the mouth at the start, dry towards the middle, and oily and slick at the end. Finish is clean with a non-lingering aftertaste.

D: I've experienced one or two offerings in my time so far that have redefined what I thought beer could be and how incredible it could taste. There's no doubt in my mind that this is one of those offerings. It's a beer that I'm almost scared to finish for fear of not know when it'll grace my lips again. Worth all the accolades it receives. A once in a lifetime drink.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from the bottle into a large tumbler at Churchkey during Zwanze day 2012. From notes.

A real nice orange amber pale lemon color, opaque and orb glowing. Head is presented with a thin creamy top of light off tan color, almost looks like a dolop of cream spooned on to it. A real nice looking lambic, it glows in the sunlight.

Nose hints with classic sour funky aromas, and apricot juice. Rind like zest peel, and dried apricot fruit, even goes into cherry like aromas, fascinating. Mouthwatering smell with a real balanced acid compliment.

Palate comes with a large fruit component in the first taste. Whaffs of apricot fruit and large juicy feel with a malt depth taken over by a good sourness. Biting rind of zest comes through with chewy apricot and sour. Not particularly tart, but sourness takes over the malt action keeping the fruit just slightly downplayed. The head comes with the palate and makes a wonderful creamy feel along with the thick fruit juice quality on this. Finish gives wonderful big pepper, a quick black pepper a little. It all feels real nice together this controlled apricot and cream and pepper and classic funk.

Overall I think this just might be my favorite Cantillon to date. This also drinks so incredibly easily, it was hard to nurse this I wanted to finish this in nothing flat it's so delicious and have more.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 mL bottle at the brewery. Shared between four people. Drank in May and reviewed from notes.

Pours a vibrant orange with a big white head. Slightly hazy. Decent retention considering the acidity of a lambic. Some lacing.
The aroma of fresh apricots melds wonderfully with the lactic and "barnyard" funk aromas of the Cantillon lambic.
The apricots come out in the taste as well and fit in perfectly. The lactic sourness and the flavor of the apricot gives it the taste of a wonderfully sour fruit. The brett funk adds complexity in the usual fashion of the lambic. There is a nice bread like malt character in the finish. Medium carbonation and light body.

Apricot lambic is a good idea.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2012 Vintage Poured into Cantillon Stemware at 45 degrees.

A- Very hazy orange (apricot skin) with a white head about an eighth of an inch thick that doesn't seem to want to go away. Vigorous carbonation is evident, the bubbles seem to be rising to the surface at a champagne-like rate. No lacing is evident.

S- Classic cantillon barnyard with a citrus acidity similar to orange zest. Apricots are very evident as well, providing a sweet, tropical note to the funky lactic overtones.

T- I don't even know where to begin. Extremely complex. While the apricot is very mellow on the nose, it comes through with a huge tart stone fruit mixed with lemon zest and orange peel. Pretty much, I'm trying to say it tastes like apricots without saying the word apricot. After the apricot flavor dies off, there is an earthy flavor that makes way for a huge blast of lemon zest and lactic acidity that leaves you looking like a sour patch kid. A good two minutes after a sip, I can still feel the tingly sensation you get in your face after downing a whole bag of sour skittles and then eating the dust in the bottom of the bag. For someone who used to eat lemons as a young child, this beer is a dream come true.

M- Prickly carbonation with an extremely dry finish in addition to the extremely sour notes from the taste. I am literally sitting here sweating because of the level of puckering.

O- The aroma and flavor are absolutely the best part of this beer, which is nice since those are usually the two biggest factors in a beer for me. This one definitely looks great as well, but with the huge apricot aromas and the complex stone fruit flavors bouncing around with the brett funk and huge acid, the flavor and aroma are what make this a world-class beer. I'm glad I got to down a whole bottle of this by myself instead of the half ounce pour I was lucky enough to have at a tasting earlier this year.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

2013. Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a bright orange/yellow with a nice fluffy two finger head. Looks great. Smell is even better. So juicy, tart, loaded with apricots. Smells so fresh and vibrant. The taste its very apricot forward, with some funk on the backend. There's a decent amount of sourness here, but it doesnt take away from the fruit too much. Delicious. The mouthfeel is so creamy, coats the whole mouth with a fair amount of carbonation. The apricot and funk lingers for days. As it warms you get a few more flavors. Some green apple in there. Really glad I got to try this.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

750 ml bottle from Moeder Lambics in Brussels into a Cantillon stemmed bowl glass

Been dying to try this and since the brewery was out, bye bye Euros. Hope it's worth it.

A - yellowish-orange, clear, one finger of white, fluffy head. Dissipates slowly

S - bitterness, funk , apricots, fruity heaven. Fruit is apparent without being overpowering. Nothing could stop me from consuming this divine nectar

T - tart, fresh, apricots. Clean finish. Fantastic. Crisp. No lingering anything. This is apricot. How the hell do they take a fruit I dislike and create a beer I cherish? Every drink causes tingling explosions of fruit but finishes crisp. Hats off to the boys at Cantillon again.

M - clean. Coats the palate but dissipates quickly. Leaves you wanting more immediately.

O - I could go on and on about this amazing brew. Cantillon doesn't make a "bad" offering, this one is great. Bottom line, if you have even a remote interest in this style, you owe it to yourself to seek this out. Even if you don't like the style, if you find it, drink it, odds are your mind will be changed. The price tag was hefty but zero regrets. Drinking it at Moeder just added the cherry (or apricot) on top.

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for sharing this, dmsohyea!

Slightly hazy dull orange and apricot in color with a thin off-white head. This leaves dots of lacing down the glass.

This is one of the most wonderfully aromatic beers I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The aromas of fresh, juicy apricots, stinging sourness, and just a touch of funk combine for what is one of the finest smelling beers in the world. Just perfect.

The flavor is just as special as the aroma. The apricots are so vibrant and fresh it's stunning. The accompanying sourness is not at all overwhelming but completely complementary. The tangy yeast is mild but present. This stuff is perfect.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate to high carbonation.

This is my favorite Cantillon to date. I don't see how it gets better than this. Thanks again, Ian!

4.84/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap at The Trappist on March 25, 2011 for a Shelton Brothers event.

Poured into a tall crystal tumbler glass (didn't get a Cantillon silk screened crystal glass for this one =( ), beer is a sunny and warm yellow orange with a finger of white foamy head. Head receded into a collar quickly, leaving light lacing on the edge of the glass. Large amount of carbonation seen through the slightly hazy beer.

Nose is sweet stone fruit, apricots and peaches, sour lemon and sour apple, apricot skin astringency, earthy soil funk.

Taste follows the nose, sour fruits and astringent fruit peels, then some sweet and juicy apricots and peaches. Lingering apricot sweetness, stone fruit pit, and earthy funk on the tongue. Very delicious.

Light bodied with soft carbonation. Draft may be a lot less carbonated then from bottle, so I'll have to track down a bottle for comparison. Refreshing, easy to drink lambic, with mild but present tartness, sweet fruits and earthy funk. Well made beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer multiple times during the last 2 – 3 years both draft & bottled. I have bought a case of it at some point. I must say that I am a bit puzzled by the American interest in this beer because age does not benefit this beer as is the case with quite a few of Cantillon fruit beers. Nowhere is freshness such a big factor as it is with Fou’ Foune. The fresher you drink this beer, the better. Fou’ Foune is at its peak during the 6 weeks after bottling, max. maybe 9. After that it is pretty level for most of its life span af far as I can see. It has a low point 6 months in or so, improves slightly after a year or so and stays level afterwards.

It is a good beer once it has peaked but it is for me personally bit of a downer compared to how ridiculously good it is fresh.

Review for a fresh bottle (75 cl.) @ brewery:

A: murky yellow apricot colour with a slight orange hue and a super firm lambic-styled head which doesn’t even vanish after you have finished your glass.

S: ridiculous, pure apricots, slightly mashed super juicy apricots, ripe and within seasons, the kind that are impeccable.

T: this tastes basically like a glass of apricot compote but even better than compote is, fresh there is no “complexity” in this but who needs complexity when your beer tastes this good? Also getting some slight yeast, slight flour-like feeling, smallest hints of barnyard and lemon (smallest hint). No tartness and no real sourness to speak of, this is almost real fruit sugars sweet.

B: luckily not too much carb. full juice and slight touch of flour body.

2012 one was way better fresh than the 2011 one, great harvest I assume?
By better I mean 2011 was nice, 2012 was mind-blowing.

Not sure about the score, fresh 2011 was around 4.6 – 4.7.
Fresh 2012 was almost 5. Aged ones were around 4.1 – 4.4.
Going to calculate mainly the fresh ones give it around a 4.8.

4.84/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got to enjoy this wonderful beer on tap at Bier Station. I usually get my beers in a 4 oz pour to allow me to try several things without getting sloshed, but in this case, a full pour was a must. Poured into a Belgian tulip glass with a flared rim.

Appearance - Pours a sunny golden-amber hue that is mostly opaque with hints of runny egg yolk where the light diffuses into the glass. Atop the body sits a frothy stark white head about a finger thick, which dissipates over a few minutes to leave a thick film of suds across the top and a build-up of foam snowdrifts along the sides of the glass. Lacing consists of spotty, faint rings around the glass as I drink the level down.

Smell - A healthy bouquet of ripe fruit, with apricot leading the way. It gives me the impression that I am about to bite into a freshly picked apricot. Accompanying the fruitiness is a considerable amount of funk and acidity, along with a woody element that gives the impression of a fruit-forward dessert wine, like a sauterne or muscat. Still, the sweetness that you would expect from said dessert wine is nowhere to be found.

Taste - Apricots are one of my favorite beer-accompanying fruits, and I love sours--the taste of this beer represents a perfect marriage of the two. Ripe apricot flesh (I can almost feel the velvety hairs that sometimes are present on an apricot) mixes with wet hay funk, acidic tartness, with notes of granny smith apples and white wine vinegar. The barrel provides a slightly vinous element, which is not surprising given the nose, but it is dry and finishes extremely clean.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied and moderately carbonated, with a dry finish that leaves the tastebuds longing for the next swallow. Good thing it's only 5% abv, because it would be easy to drink this in quantity, given how refreshing it is.

Overall, a beer that more than lives up to the hype. Of course, I'm predisposed to like it, given my penchant for beers that are sour and the use of apricots in beer, but that also means that I could have been easily disappointed, given the reputation of this brew and my high expectations.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a Cantillon sampler glass. Bottled August 10, 2013. Acquired in a trade with WilliamDbar, thank you for hooking me up with my biggest ISO yet! Opened in celebration of my engagement this past weekend!

Appearance - Pours a really hazy, cloudy, bright sunflower yellow body with a loud, fizzy, effervescent white head that reduces pretty quickly to leave a layer of foam behind. I love the artwork on the bottle.

Smell - Wow, the aroma of this beer is absolutely mouth-watering. The apricot aromas are bright, fresh, and juicy while not being overpowering. Fresh fruit salad, including peaches and watermelon, combined with a tart citrus zing, freshly picked flowers, and a splash of Belgian funk make the aroma of this beer absolutely perfect. I couldn't imagine how it could improve in this category.

Taste - First off is a juicy, fruity medley of apricot, peaches, white grapes, nectarine, and citrus. Heavy tartness (not quite sour) takes over to produce dry, crisp notes with the lingering juicy apricot flavor still holding the spotlight. The finish is dry and citrusy. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, dry, highly carbonated, refreshing, sip demanding. Excellent.

I have been waiting forever to try this whale, as it was my #1 want for over a year. Fou Foune is everything I expected and more. The fruity apricot balanced with the perfect acidity make for a near perfect lambic. Seek it out!

2015 vintage poured into a snifter

L - thick white head from the carbonation...a little cloudy

S - best smell of this type i've had...major fruity tart in the smell and some funk...minimal bready yeast stmell which usually is overpowering...a little grassy lemon too

T - acidic, sour apricot and stone fruit...really well balanced with some but not too much funk

F - smooth, flavors linger, and easy to drink

O - top of its class...worthy of the hype will seek this out again

From Bottle . . . 8-11 was the date on it

A- Cloudy Rusty Straw and a light orange

S Apricots, Aged Cheese and some nice funk

T- A sour peach, very yeasty, champagne sour and delicious

M- lots of bubbles but a real dry finish... nice and smooth body

O- Oh My God!! This has to be one of the best beers ever....
My frist Cantillon and it sure as hell will not be the last.

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of many world class beers from what may be the best (and certainly my favorite) brewery in the world. To get any attention on this highly U.S. centered site, you know it must be great.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon