Cantillon Fou' Foune | Brasserie Cantillon

Apricot Lambic

Added by rastaman on 08-05-2002

Reviews: 523 | Ratings: 2,765
4.89/5  rDev +7.9%

First BA rate. Picked up this gem while on vacation. The people at the bottle shop had no idea that they had this or what it was.

750 ml green bottle. Bottled on August 11, 2010. Consumed March 16, 2011. A hazy golden beer with a nice fluffy head. The aroma was very nice, tart and sour with lots of lemons and some green apples. Very fruity(apricots) but not overpowering with some funk mingled in there. As it warms the oak starts to show itself. Wow I could smell this my whole life.

The taste again is tart especially on the lips withe the apricots showing themselves in the end. Very lemony while the oak shows up at the back of the taste and seems to want to add some dryness. This really makes me lick my lips which I like.

All of these things that I speak of seem to work in harmony with each other and not overtake one another. Very light and delicate, and very refreshing and balanced. I would love to drink one on a hot summers day. I shared a glass with my brother whose beer of choice is Bud Light Lime and he loved it. Now he loves lambics and sours and because of this beer he went and bought a case of Cuvee Rene. Thanks Fou Foune cause you may have turned someone from the dark side.

4.62/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 375ml Japanese edition bottle shared with Weisguy & alampear for one of our small weekly tastings.
Served slightly chilled, a huge head appeared on a fast pour decanted into one glass to share between the three of us. Hard to tell how much sediment was left, but I would guess 1-2 ounces. Color was a light yellow with a gold hue up to the light with a couple tiny bits of sediment swimming around. Smell was sharp fruit and some vinegar. Described by Ari as "smelling a peach pit." Notes of peach and apricot skin were very evident. The taste was an intense combination of resiny sour apricot and fruity acidity, while much funk was almost nowhere to be found. Unnoticeable alcohol on the palate and finish, but a slight burn from the acidity was present. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and I'm sure it would have been a cinch for any of us to drink over a liter of this. I've had Fou'foune a few times (many courtesy of Weisguy), including a fresh 750 of the 2010 bottling, but this bottle stood out as nearly a whole nother beer than what I tasted before. Much more fruit on the nose and tongue, while the balanced acidity made for a very enjoyable lambic.

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%

375ml bottle with Japanese label on back. I believe it was '09. Thanks Kyle for this one. This was not my first time having this beer. But this bottle was exceptionally good. Poured a nice hazy golden orange. Unbeleiveable aromas of peaches and apricots, unlike any other fruit Cantillon I have had before. Great acidity, definitely a little Cantillon funk, but very mild. Just like the aromas, the flavor was spot on apricots and other stone fruits. Very enjoyable.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottling

A: Slightly hazy tangerine colored brew, bone white and wispy head.

S: Sharp apricot both fresh and candied, some tropical fruit, Cantillon funk that is lies underneath the bright fruit. The funk is a larger part of the beer but I love this fresh apricot stacked on top.

T: Sour, lemony funk and light spice that is completely permeated by fresh apricot. The balance lies in favor of the fruit with lemony sourness on the other end of the see-saw. If I can divvy up the components, I'd say 65% fruit, 35% funky sour.

M: Light, bright and prickly carbonation, clean but not too dry. The fruit in this young lambic is still saliva-inducing. I always appreciate Cantillon's ability to keep a healthy amount of carbonation 15-20 min after you pour it without going flat like many American wild ales.

O: No disappointment here. I've been wanting to try this for a long while. Cantillon keeps supplying a consistent, clean and funky brew that leaves no doubt nor regrets.

4.35/5  rDev -4%

2009 750 ml bootle.

Appearance -Pours a hazy yellow, orange with a large, white foamy head.

Smell- much like gueze with a little more sweetness

Taste - upfront a little sweet, a little vinegar with undertones of apricot. Changes to extremely sour on the backend.

Drinkability and overall - I can only drink one glass of any sour beer at a session and lambics not my favorite style. However, this beer is complex and mixes the sweetness of apricots and the sour of a lambic well. A world class beer.

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Cantillon Fou'Foune pours a hazy golden hue that reminds me of the apricots used to create it.

The aroma is vinegary, slightly musty, and slightly medicinal with a very noticeable unripened apricot presence.

This is a light and refreshing beer that does a masterful job at balancing the flavors of unripened apricots with a medicinal and vinegary edge. Slight hints of clove, paprika, and marmalade.

A light, thin body with fizzy and prickly carbonation make the mouth-feel of this beer definitely a good one for a hot summer day.

Notes- This is a good take on a lambic- one of the best fruit beers I’ve had. Despite the complexity of the apricot, sourness imparted by the wild yeast, and medicinal notes it’s all balanced very well. A respectable entry by Cantillon. I'd get it again in a heartbeat.

4.08/5  rDev -9.9%

'09 750ml

Hazy peach (I guess apricot would be more of an appropriate descriptor) and a white head.

Still an amazing fresh apricot smell. Musty brett and sugary toasted oak (possibly given off by the fruit).

Bracingly sour and tightens up your jaw. Finish of apricot jam. This is really a two part flavor of intensely sour unripe apricots and then bright and soft ripe apricots. Oh but how much flavor there is. Any kind of funkiness is sort of drowned out.

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 750 mL bottle split with a friend. Bottled on August 8, 2010. Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Light, straw colored. Pours with a slight fizzy head. Very effervescent and light. Not much cloudiness on my pour at all. Most of the yeast was still settled at the bottom.

Aroma: Lemons, fresh apricot, and a good bit of funk. Definitely can tell this is more on the sour side from the aroma. Really nice balance of the sour and funk notes with the fruit.

Taste: Tart lemon sourness hits first. Definitely tart, but not the most tart I have ever experienced. Big oak and apricot notes are there as well. Plenty of funk interweaving there as well. Extremely drinkable and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with plenty of carbonation. Very effervescent and refreshing.

Overall, definitely up there among the best sours I have ever encountered. Wonderfully complex, fruity, and refreshing. Definitely will get this every opportunity I get.

4.64/5  rDev +2.4%

A last-minute and unannounced addition to the tasting, Dyan managed to grab one of the 6 bottles of Fou' Foune that made their way to Maryland. Thanks go out to him for bringing it right up to Philly for the tasting. The 15th beer overall. Poured into my tumbler, which is my go to for lambics and geuzes.

The body is a hazy light apricot-hued amber (go figure, I guess). The head is very creamy and resilient, especially for a lambic, as it bubbles to a half finger in depth and then lingers for 10-15 minutes without subsiding.

The aroma is typical for a young fruit lambic from Cantillon. Tons of fresh ripe apricots with a very muted sourness. Very sweet in the nose, and this translates to the palate, as well. There is an extremely clean and lemony sourness that works about as well as is possible with the fruit in the beer. This is like a tropical fruit basket. The sourness and sweetness play together, building and subsiding in harmony to maximize drinking pleasure.

The feel is light and spritzy; it is clean and refreshing. It is easy to see why this is a favorite, as it is so enjoyable in every aspect. Another example of Cantillon's incredible proficiency in fruit lambic production.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Don't we all love Cantillon? 2010 vintage.

A: Nice Straw color with deeper dark middle. Nice head thats fluffy. Pretty lambic!

S: Tons of fresh apricot, like sliced open apricot fruit with the pit as well. Some softer oak and vanilla notes with great barnyard funk and straw malt. Nice!

T: Amazing bright fruit and fresh apricots and tangy nutty apricot pit. A little bit of oak smooths out the fruit, but the tangy, tart sour fruit takes center stage. some grape and apple notes as well. Exquisite.

M: Smooth front and tangy back. Good carbonation.

O: Well what else can you say? Another world class beer from Cantillon.

4.84/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap at The Trappist on March 25, 2011 for a Shelton Brothers event.

Poured into a tall crystal tumbler glass (didn't get a Cantillon silk screened crystal glass for this one =( ), beer is a sunny and warm yellow orange with a finger of white foamy head. Head receded into a collar quickly, leaving light lacing on the edge of the glass. Large amount of carbonation seen through the slightly hazy beer.

Nose is sweet stone fruit, apricots and peaches, sour lemon and sour apple, apricot skin astringency, earthy soil funk.

Taste follows the nose, sour fruits and astringent fruit peels, then some sweet and juicy apricots and peaches. Lingering apricot sweetness, stone fruit pit, and earthy funk on the tongue. Very delicious.

Light bodied with soft carbonation. Draft may be a lot less carbonated then from bottle, so I'll have to track down a bottle for comparison. Refreshing, easy to drink lambic, with mild but present tartness, sweet fruits and earthy funk. Well made beer.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

2010 bottling. This has been a long time coming. My store got a delivery of this and Cuvee des Champions last week. The delivery was a whopping 2 bottles of each.

Pours a pale tangerine, a little sallow, with a 2 cm eggshell head.

This smells much less tart or funky than I expected. Maybe that will change over years. Mostly oak, apricot, and salty air. It's very restrained.

And, sour kick in the throat thank you very much! I don't know if I would pick out apricots if I didn't know they were there. It's a little fruity, but I taste much more oak and acidity. I would easily believe that this was a gueze and the fruity aspect was a yeast byproduct. There is also a seltzer water nuance that's kind of distracting. But it's still a Cantillon through and through, and it's delicious.

Excellent tingle, medium body, and just dry enough.

As much as I liked this, I can't justify spending the extra $10 to $12 over Gueze, Kriek, or Iris. It's really not better than them, and IMO, Iris is still the best one out there.

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Cracked my 750 with some other Ba's... Served in my Ithaca tulip.

Wow is this funky. Dry and funky. Light and airy. Small sweetness and tartness.

Pale straw color with a murky appearance.

Very nice sourness. Very string funk balances with a tart and sweet fruitiness. Mmmm. This beer drinks so nice. I would happily crack this regularly.

The color and body are both light and spectacular. I love this beer.

EDIT-- I just wanted to add more thoughts on this one and up my score a bit;
So in my opinion, the beer is WAAAY too fruit-forward in the first 18-20 months.
In Jan 2012 we drank a 2005, that was one of the most sour beers I've ever had...
There's 3 things I look for in a fruit beer by Cantillon;
Fruit flavor

Fou foune hits just about the perfect balance for me at about 2-4 years-- the fruit is present, but not overwhelming, and the age has allowed the sourness and funk levels to develop and increase.

With pardonable exaggeration, I would say Fou Foune has all the characteristics of "the perfect beer."

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes 9/11/10. Bottle poured into a snifter. We sampled both the 05 and the 09 this night, however I will be reveiwing the 09.

A: Cloudy orange color. The pour dropped a big off white head the hung around and left tons of sticky lace.

A: Big apricot and sour notes. Lots of citrus, lemon, orange, and apricot. I get some floral, spicey notes as well.

T: Sour apricots all the way. This one is a puckerer. Not nearly as sour as the 05, but for my tastes, just right.

M: Light body, high carbonation. A little sharp, but on par for the style.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is pretty average. The sourness destroys the palate, so it makes having more than one a bit of a chore. Overall, a very good brew, not in my top 10 sours, but very solid. Skal.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Hill Farmstead Winter Festival.

Big, puffy, foamy, white head. Hazy, straw color. Laces glass the entire drinking experience.

A - Apricot is immediately evident, but subtle and pleasant. Expected funk mixes wonderfully with must and just a touch of bite.

T - Pleasantly tart apricots and fresh bitterness on the finish. Wonderfully balanced blend of funk and sharpness.

M - Just the right amount of body that balances with good carbonation and sourness.

D- Entirely too drinkable, frankly. Truly excellent.

4.07/5  rDev -10.2%

This lambic pours a mild yellow color with a thin head.

Apple and cherry notes greet the nose, followed by a good amount of funk. When I say a good amount, I mean that it doesn't overwhelm the olfactory gland.

The taste is full of sourness, bursting with cherry essence. It's not a "fruity" lambic per se.

Not much to "feel" at the back of the throat. The funk is restrained, which may turn off true fans of the style.

This is truly a balanced and highly enjoyable lambic. It's also somewhat rare around these parts.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

On-tap at the Hill Farmstead Winter Festival.

Pours with a huge, foamy, white head. The body is a cloudy, straw, yellowish-orange. Beautiful lacing coats the entire glass.

Cantillon funk, hay and light barnyard on the nose. Apricot, peach and clementine sourness fills the nostrils. Lots musty hay funk with a little more bitterness than what I remember from the bottled version.

Hay, apricots and some grassy bitterness on the finish. Again, slightly more bitter than the bottle. Tastes fresher overall. Apricot and peach sourness throughout. A great and balanced blend of funk and acidity.

The body has some good weight to it with lively carbonation and a delicious level of sourness. Feels somewhat slick. Quite good for a fruit lambic.

Drinkability is great like usual. Nice sourness with a good helping of fruit and funk. This on-tap version seemed to have some extra grassy bitterness to it, which I liked quite a bit. It helped to bring out some of the earthier and more floral aspects of the beer. Anyways, I hope I get to see this beer on-tap again some day. Excellent stuff.

This is my first review on BA. I waited quite some time before I decided to start reviewing beer. I waited until I had a better trained pallet and understanding of beer, so enough about me lets talk about this wonderful delight known as Fou Foune. I shared a 2010 with Shades Of Gray who so graciously opened my eyes to many Cantillons. First the look of this beer was very appetizing. Its an burnt orange-ish color and leaves a very nice head, full of lacing. Smell is very fruity, definitely strong apricot notes and some funk. Taste, WOW, I'm blown away. Very tart (as to be expected). Just a perfect mesh of carbonation, tart, apricot, and some what earthy in a very good way. The only bad thing I can say about this beer is it left me wanting more. Extremely quenching to the taste buds. . Again Big thanks to Shades Of Gray.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

750mL, bottled August 2010. No foil, though my label has some sort of red flower on the right side of the artwork, unlike the picture above.

Pours a hazy, peachy blonde with a small foamy head. Retains at a scant white layer, though it clings well to the glass.

The nose is something to behold. Very tart and vinous up-front, with a wild earthiness to it. At the very end there is a wonderful, aromatic apricot note.

Like every Cantillon, this is a puckering sour, though not as much as some of the brewery's other offerings. Lots of acidic, Vitamin-C tartness at first. Unlike some of the other fruit lambics from Cantillon, I can really taste the fruit here, and it's fantastic. Brightly fruity with wild strawberry, sour apple and, of course, juicy apricot. Bitter, rindy and funky fruit-skin notes throughout wear on the palate a bit, but it's still a refreshing brew. This is pretty much as smooth as Cantillon can be. The mouthfeel is light with soft and spritzy carbonation.

About as drinkable as Cantillon gets, in my limited experience. For this, the aroma, fruit flavor and uniqueness of being an apricot Lambic, Fou' Foune receives very high marks.

Notes: This beer got better and more fruity as it warmed, so I would recommend drinking it at cellar temp., at least. Room temp. might be even more beneficial.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

2009 vintage. Poured from a 750ml capped and corked bottle into a Cantillon Iris glass.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger frothy white head that never really dissipates and gives me a creamy mustache every time I take a sip. Beer is a clear goldenrod with a slight shade of faded orange. Lacing is near non-existant with patches that cling here and there.

S: Nose is mindblowingly funky. Hints of barnyard, straw, tart apricot, cobwebs, must. Tickles the nose throughout.

T: Opens very tart, puckering lemon and citrus with overtones of Brett funk. Apricot sourness sneaks in at the middle and takes this one to another level. Funkiness intensifies tremendously at the back end and towards the finish as it dries the mouth. Moth balls, cobwebs, and bandaid right at the end just before a clean finish and a brief, fruity, apricot finish.

M: Light to medium bodied and highly carbonated. Lively and prickly in the mouth at the start, dry towards the middle, and oily and slick at the end. Finish is clean with a non-lingering aftertaste.

D: I've experienced one or two offerings in my time so far that have redefined what I thought beer could be and how incredible it could taste. There's no doubt in my mind that this is one of those offerings. It's a beer that I'm almost scared to finish for fear of not know when it'll grace my lips again. Worth all the accolades it receives. A once in a lifetime drink.

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a golden orange honestly it is the color of an apricot. The beer has a big head that leaves some lace. The aroma is lots of barn-yardiness, but with a lot of apricot fruitiness in there as well with some both clean and dirty laundry. The flavor smacks you in the face right away with apricot, fresh, delicious apricots. The beer is very very sour. It's also really dry with a dryness akin to say a brut. The fruitiness continues with some lemon rind earthy on sour notes. Dominantly this beer is packed with sourness and apricot flavor. The palate is fizzy but remarkably full and easy to drink. Just one damn fine beer.

4.39/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled August 2008

A - Fou' Foune pours a medium gold with just a little haze. The eggshell head is average, coming to about a finger deep or maybe a little over. Lacing is on the minimal side. Carbonation appears to be fairly active. Not bad overall but I'd like to see a couple minor tweaks in this area.

S - It's kind of funky and tart up front. Hay and (what I assume is) pine really come through quick and hard followed by a healthy dose of old oak. Fruit is much lighter than expected. It mostly resembles peaches and oranges. More oak shows at the very end. One word sums it up nicely: pleasant..

T - Mouth puckeringly tart lemon flavor really takes over at first. Thankfully, it tames quickly. Old wood and barn flavors shine brightly midway. Fruit is more noticeable in the flavor than the aroma. Ahhh, there is the apricot. And it has notes of light berry too? Finishes with cured tobacco that works very nicely with the other woodsy flavors.

M - Lighter bodied with a medium carbonation going on. Finish is dry and tart just as I expected.

D - Drinkability is quite good for Fou' Foune. Even though I'm not an apricot fan, this is still a great brew. Apricot flavors are pretty mild overall which makes it work very well with my palate. The more it warms, the more it smooths out which adds another appealing dimension to this fine elixir. It encompasses all the great lambic qualities I've come to expect form the folks at Cantillon.

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

-- popped and poured -
-- tasted non-blind over a couple hours, and again on Day 3 -
-- bottled on Aug. 13, 2009 --

NOSE: classic gueuze nose - until the apricots start to step forward from the background; sour wet oak; nectar; complex; moderately expressive; oxidative note on Day 3.

BODY: hazy tan-orange color; little head; medium bodied

TASTE: very sour, with spices and oak; puckering acidity; lemon; really nice, although I would prefer a more mellow version; still very sour on Day 3; 5% alc.. This bottling features 2-year-old lambic which is then finished with fresh apricots for its final two months of aging in oak barrels.

B: 50, 5, 14, 17, 9 = 95

4.02/5  rDev -11.3%

Rate from 2009.

2009 bottle served in a white wine glass at room temp. Pours a nice, slight thick orange-gold with a thin ring of white bubbles persisting. Beautiful nose full of peaches, apricots, slight funky brett. Really round in the nose. Like most Cantillon, it's fairly bracing and hard in the mouth. Really big peach, apricot presence. Full and round, vinous and white wine like. The fruit is great at this age, but a hard, slightly metallic age tells me this one would likely get better with some years on it. Very enjoyable, kinda like a slightly more acidic Duck Duck Gooze.

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Huge thanks to csmiley for splitting the 750! I sadly traded mine away. You're the man, Chris!

Bottled in August, 2008.

Fou' Foune pours a yellowish-gold color. It's quite hazy, and has a distinct gold appearance when held to light. It's capped with a very modest white head. Carbonation looks active, but the head didn't quite rise to a finger in depth. Lacing was very, very light.

The nose is good. It kicks off with a very earthy, musky scent. It's rather prominent in the mix and lingers throughout. There's some light fruity notes. Smells mostly like lemon and peach or apricots. It's more of a secondary scent though. It certainly smells tart and a little vinegar-esque. Brett imparts a funky, barnyard scent. It's not very strong, but is effective. Oak really adds a lot of depth, and may just be the x-factor in this one. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

The flavor is impressive. I'm debating on the score. It is very musky and earthy throughout. It also features just the right amount of funk in the mix. The Brett presence is best described as moderate. That's my preferred approach. It complements, rather than overwhelms, the other flavors. It is quite tart and sour. It's not quite mouth puckering, but it's close. Definitely a little vinegar-y. The fruity peach/apricot flavors are there, but are somewhat subtle. Oak adds a ton of character and depth. Alcohol is buried. It finishes musky, funky, and sour. I'm convinced...the flavor's earned its score.

Fou' Foune has a medium body that's incredibly svelte and smooth. Light carbonation definitely helps in that regard. It's definitely an authentic Belgian. No question. Drinkability is very high. This is a very tasty Lambic that goes down so smooth and easy. A 750 = no problem.

Cantillon makes incredible beer. While I don't believe this one will supplant St. Lamvinus as my favorite, it's not too far off. It's chock full of flavor, and is very deep and complex. It will challenge even the most sophisticated palate. If you happen to run across one of these, jump on the opportunity. It's worth at least one purchase...even with the steep price tag.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon