Cantillon Fou' Foune | Brasserie Cantillon

4.65/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,924 |  Reviews: 544
4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

I got this at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo NY.

Pours a yellow pilsner-like color with a bit of haze, even lighter than the gueuze. The head almost immediately becomes a thin film, leaving sparse lace trails behind. The aroma is tart with wet hay and lemon and a woody hint. The taste is immediately very sour with an acidic wave subduing my whole mouth. Sharp lactic notes are abundant throughout.

Very unripe apricots show in the middle, as well as the nutty slightly astringent taste of their pits. Fruit flavor is very meek compared to the sourness, but luckily the brett, pedioccocus etc fair better. there are lots of farmy, earthy, musty notes all over the place. Cereal and tangy wheat flavors lie in the background. The finish is full of lemon rind sourness. The mouthfeel is medium with light carbonation.

Another fantastic Cantillon beer. It needs more funk and depth to be among the best. Still is ethereal stuff.

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

2010 bottling. This has been a long time coming. My store got a delivery of this and Cuvee des Champions last week. The delivery was a whopping 2 bottles of each.

Pours a pale tangerine, a little sallow, with a 2 cm eggshell head.

This smells much less tart or funky than I expected. Maybe that will change over years. Mostly oak, apricot, and salty air. It's very restrained.

And, sour kick in the throat thank you very much! I don't know if I would pick out apricots if I didn't know they were there. It's a little fruity, but I taste much more oak and acidity. I would easily believe that this was a gueze and the fruity aspect was a yeast byproduct. There is also a seltzer water nuance that's kind of distracting. But it's still a Cantillon through and through, and it's delicious.

Excellent tingle, medium body, and just dry enough.

As much as I liked this, I can't justify spending the extra $10 to $12 over Gueze, Kriek, or Iris. It's really not better than them, and IMO, Iris is still the best one out there.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

“We love to funk you, Fou’ Foune
Your funk is the best (talk!)
Take my body, give it the mind
To funk with the rest – Adapted from Dr. Funkenstein

I’ve been mesmerized by the Fou’ foune label for the past two months. It’s perhaps the most dignified and artistic label I’ve even viewed, and to boot it’s a little bit funky, just like this beer (I had some second thoughts calling this a beer). The beer is a cloudy orange copper and looks amazing in my flute. A thin layer of foam formed across the top. It smells like most lambics. The first sip begins mellow and then its tartness expands to its full potential. My cheeks puckered a little before the fruity apricot aftertaste filled my throat. Man the aftertaste is refreshing. The funk is sour, yet not overbearing, and adds some zest and zing every step of the way (hints of lemon, apricots, and of course yeast). I wonder if the Belgium’s enjoy a cube of sugar is this fine offering? Anyway, this was a new experience for my in terms of lambics and highly memorable.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon