Cantillon Mamouche | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

Added by rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at Monk's, Philly, PA

Nice of Monk's to have this one on tap at their latest Cantillon event. I actually had not had this before, so I figured I'd give it a try. Poured a hazy golden-yellow color with a small cap of delicate white bubbles that faded to a ringlet, streaking the glass with lacing until the last drop. Champagne-like bubbles blipped from the bottom of the chalice. Aroma of barnyard funk and wildflowers. Crisp taste, more of the characteristics noted in the nose: wet grass, cardboard, very floral, tart, but not overly so; mid- to end-palate displays heavy flavors of green peppers, pickle brine, and a touch of white wine and cheap Champagne (ps - all Champagne tastes like cheap Champagne to me). Light body, prickly, and quite drying, as expected for the style. Decent overall.

3.54/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured from the bottle into a flute. I had this at the sour beer event at Teresa's Next Door.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with an orange tint. There is a small amount of golden head that disappears.

Smell: Very herbal with some sour notes. A bit weird, it kind of reminds me of burning plastic.

Taste: Bitter like natural grapefruit peel. Herbal with a lemon sourness and some funk. The finish is bitter.

Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I was really excited to get to try this, but it didn't really live up to my expectations. The smell turned me off. I don't think I would search this out again.

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

Cantillon Mamouche, purchased at the brewery during a weekend in Brussels last month. The label describes as such: "Elderflowers, handpicked by the Cantillon team and soaked in 2 years old lambic. Beer with evolving flavor. Keep and serve at cellar temperature. To be drunk preferably within 10 years after the bottling date."

I opened this one during a lazy day between Christmas and New Years Eve. After removing the cork I saw a little liquid seeping around the cork, nothing serious, just interesting. The cork came out with a nice audible, very good carbonation.

Light orange straw color, SRM of 3-4, initially clear but becoming a little hazy with subsequent pours. A very nice foam that never quite goes away, a solid cap on the liquid, not sticky enough to give lasting lace.

This has a very unique aroma, apparently elderflowers but I wouldn't know as I've never been exposed previous to this. To me it's a little peppery and evokes wet green vegetation. Behind this is the the standard barnyard funk that you expect from Cantillon, but the elderflowers play the lead role.

It tastes like elderflowers, I guess. Very light tartness, not bad but I would prefer a little more funk. Possibly less flowers would make me happy but I'm not employed by Cantillon so what do I know.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation as previously noted. Far from my favorite from Cantillon, but still a very interesting lambic.

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from notes. Zwanze 2009. Thanks Mikey.

whoa this beer was weird.

poured orangey amberish with some haze and decent lace.

Super pungent nose, like you stuck your nose in a spice mill, just tons of pepper, overwhelming at first with some floral perfume emanating. Bretty taste, perfumey spice throughout, with a musty floral earthiness throughout but not too acidic. The dominant character is from these elderflowers. Really odd. Tons of assertive bretty flavor, good carb but not spritzery. Not my favorite cantillon but nice to try for sure. I'll revisit the madouche - i mean, mamouche version.

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle opened on Zwanze Day 2011

Pours a fairly clear orangish with a nice white head. Loots pretty typical. Smells hugely of chili spice. Peachy fruit, some floral aromas and toasted chilis. There is funkiness underlying but the chili overpowers. Was not expecting that. Tastes sweet and lightly fruity and before BAM! more chili hits hard. Well carbonated and drinkable but the chili kills it for me :(

3.57/5  rDev -15.2%

Reviewed from notes, this one was on tap at the Blind Tiger and served in an 8 oz teardrop shaped glass.

Mamouche pours an opaque light orange, with minimal white foam capping the beer. The nose has a lot of funk to it, with a bit of acidity present as well. There's just a faint hint of oak, and a subtle spicy-herbal aroma that seems to build in intensity a bit as the beer warms. The flavor has much more pepper/herbs to it, with a light touch of fruitiness shining through as well. There's some wet hay, barnyard funk, but definitely not as much as in the nose. Can't really say the beer tastes tart or sour either. The carbonation is nice and bubbly, but the body is noticeably more full/chewy than you'd normally expect for the style. Mamouche is a decent wild ale, but definitely not up to the usual standards of what I expect from Cantillon.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Shared at a tasting. 3oz. pour into a snifter. Reviewed from notes. Bottle is Zwanze 2009.

A: Pours a .5 finger white head that dissipates quickly. Beer is a cloudy yellow. Lacing is spotty but with decent stick.

S: Nose is very weird here. Notes of a bunch of different spices, chili peppers, and black pepper. Normal brett and funk is conspicuosly missing. Not bad by any means but really not the norm.

T: Opens tart. Lemon, brett, and mustiness. Middle just becomes stranger and stranger. A slight bit of heat comes along with chili peppers and black pepper in the background. Thankfully, sourness intensifies a bit to cover the otherwise awkward flavors. Finishes rather clean with a subtle peppery aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Smooth in the mouth but the flavors this one carries makes it a little abrasive in parts. Finish is clean with an aftertaste that lingers just a bit.

D: Not one of my favorite offerings from Cantillon but they can't all be winners. Flavor is a bit weird and the spiciness just doesn't work with the sour flavor this beer has. Not bad by any means and I'd love to try it again in the future... I'm just not as eager to revisit it as I would some other lambics.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Big pour into an oversized wine glass from a 750ml at 2011 Zwanze Day at Holy Grale in Louisville.

Bright yellow with a dense hue, plenty of murkyness as well. Small head upon pouring that dissipates into a ring of foam around the edges of the glass.

Big vegetal presence on the nose at first similar to bell peppers, daisies, and tomatoes. Some chilis in there as well, with a background of mango and papaya. Some sage and more vegetables. Not as funky as most other Cantillons on the nose, seems to be missing that big haystack and cheese funk.

Bell peppers, chilis, some tropical fruits like papaya and mangos all have an equal presence on the tongue. A very strange experience that I have never had in the flavor of a beer. Some floral and sage presence with minimal funk. Pretty strange, really.

Medium body with some stickyness. A tingle of carbonation

Massive vegetal, herbal and floral presnce with minimal funk on the nose and tongue. A real unique but strange beer. Glad to try it, don't think I'lll ever seek it out again though.

3.59/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours out a very light yellow with unexpected amount of haze, like a lighter hefeweizen almost. The small ring of white head is virgin white as they say. Aroma is sour, lemon, flowers, pepper.

Wow, the pepper. This was the spiciest pepper meets rye like quality I've ever had in a beer. And there's no rye in here, but it was mentioned to give an approximation of the taste and mouthfeel, it is like someone just dumped a bunch of pepper and rye into a lambic, which I assume is the taste I get from these elderflowers. Carbonation was ample, maybe amplifying the pepper like fatigue this induced on my palate during our first sour beer we had on Sunday morning at Triple Rock. Really, if I tried this blind, I would have guessed someone did a hot pepper wild ale.

Yeah, the beer was sour, floral and all that, but I thought the pepper was a distraction. Ultimately, this one kind of fits the bill that the more rare Cantillons aren't worth pursuing. I have a bottle, so I'll get to try it again, but for now, this is one of the more disappointing Cantillons I've had, even if it is a decent beer, it doesn't compare to their more accessible beers like the kriek or classic gueuze. A pretty dry beer all around as well.

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

Dull yellow, significant amount of haze, lambic hefe. Pristine white head. Aroma was pepper, flowers of a purple variety, lemon, sour tartness.

The pepper flowers (like black pepper) are some of the most unique flavors going on. Not my cup of tea (this and grand brusccella are my least fave Cantillons). Lots of carbonation. Too much pepper domination.

3.66/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Deep golden, medium hazy, thing ring of dense foam. Medium carbonation.

S: Very unique, peculiar... peppery flowers, earthy, lactic sourness, perfumey. A little vegetal.. I have to admit this is not particularly appetizing for me. It is nice to smell (like perfume) but nothing compels me to drink it.

T: The base beer is tasty but I can't get past the floral flavor, it just isn't my thing. Cantillon is my favorite brewery but this is just not for me.

M: Very dry but only lightly carbonated for Cantillon.

3.67/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

Huge thanks to Steve for kicking off our tasting with this rarity.

Poured into my tasting glass.

A: Golden yellow, small white head , soapy lace.

S: Zesty lemon and spiced chilies are the first thing that came to mind. The typical funky tartness is present as well. Slight lactic. Rather tame overall.

T: Tart lemon and green apple skins. Lactic sour with a solid dose of barn yard funk.

M: light crisp body. Bone dry finish. Mild carbonation.

D: Overall a decent if unremarkable beer. Glad I got a shot at it.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this at our Epic Chicago Tasting. Our bottle was an '09 "Zwanze" one, as opposed to the newly re-monikered "Mamouche."

A - A golden color that is a little bit hazy. Clear on the edges, has some huge, good looking bubbles.

S - A huge flower smell, really dominates in this brew. It's unlike anything I have smelled before, and I guess that is what elder flowers are, very sweet and fresh-cut flowery aroma. A bit of pepper and grass with a slight bit of funk.

T - It's a bit sweet, with some lemon and a little bit of wood. Huge flower taste, honestly it's a bit overpowering and I have to try to ignore it. Tastes like I'm eating a flower. The beer has a very unique taste, but it's not my thing.

M - Light and bubbly with a slightly dry finish.

D - Pretty good and light, but the flower taste makes it hard to drink tons.

I think this is a beer that you're either going want a lot more of, or not have again. I don't care a ton if I encounter this again.

3.71/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

750ml corked & capped bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours an amber golden color. Small ring of whitw foam, no lacingat all. Nose is floral and a bit like green peppers, very nice.

Taste is earthy and floral with some light green pepper. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, not too sour but lightly tart and very rich. Overall quite tasty and refreshing.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks for sharing Beerdy. Poured into snifter. Recent vintage.

Pours a cloudy golden body with a thick white head that faded to a good lasting film. This beer smells like no other I’ve had, but that’s probably because I’ve never even hear of an elderflower before this. The nose is very peppery, like that of a red bell pepper, and vegetal. That characteristic musty Cantillon funk is right in there next to the strange notes of bell pepper and citrus. Smells like a musty of garden. The taste is better than the nose in my opinion as a little bit more funk and lemony citrus mixes with the pepper and vegetables, but overall this isn’t my favorite lambic. The mouthfeel is very airy, bubbly and fairly dry. I’d like to try a bottle of this beer in a few years when it’s had at least half a decade of age on it to see how it has changed. Definitely an interesting brew.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks Anders for giving me this opportunity. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into four tulip glasses.

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden color. Produced two fingers of white, foamy head. Dissipated to a thick foamy, film through consumption. Great head retention.

S- Elderflowers dominate. Very floral, almost perfume-like. The combination of aromas give off a scent akin to the unlikely combination of floral hops and chili peppers.

T- Upfront the beer has a sweet flavor combined with a bit of farmhouse funk. Almost instantly, the elderflowers takeover. Adds a peppery flavor combined with some sourness. Transitions into a spicy pepper, sweet finish. One of the most unique sours I have ever had.

M- Light to medium bodied. Just enough carbonation. Coats the palate well.

D- The elderflowers were too much for me. Bottom line.

Overall, a very unique beer, but as states above, the elderflowers really need to be toned down.

3.74/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rating from notes taken Zwanze Day 2014:

High B / GOOD

***
2016 vintage on-draught on Zwanze day 2016 @ Fool's Gold in NYC.

Murky copper body. No head. Not a great looking beer, if we're nitpicking.

Aroma showcases lambicus yeast beautifully. Clean funkiness, mild sourness (maybe a 3-4 out of ten in terms of sourness), gym sock like funkiness, a blip of acetobacter, twang. I don't pick up on any oak. Suggests an acidic brew. I wouldn't pick up on elder flower if not prompted first; I don't pretend to know what elder flowers smell or look like.

Acidic, smacky, and dry, evoking lambicus yeast beautifully with prominent notes of clean funkiness and moderate sourness (maybe a 4/10 in terms of intensity). Elder flower? Sorry, I don't know what that tastes like. Balanced and straightforward, which might be a kind of way of saying it isn't a highly complex Lambic.

Smooth, refreshing albeit acidic, light-bodied, and approachable.

Highly drinkable fare though admittedly not Cantillon's best, Mamouche is a classic Lambic. Obscure elder flower never works its way into my sensory impression, but whatever intangibles it adds are working for me.

High B / GOOD