Cantillon Mamouche | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

Added by rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

Liked:
4.21/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 776-800 | 801-825 | 826-850  | next → last
3.84/5  rDev -8.8%

Graduation Sour Tasting. Split 4 ways.

A: Pours a light yellow color with a thin white head. head holds up well and dissipates slowly.

S: Smells almost like perfume. Very flowery with some spiciness to it. And I actually think I smell hops? Must be the elderflowers. Not what I was expecting, but it is just an excellent aroma.

T: Whoa! The flavor is way different than I expected. I pick up mustard seed and pickles. Get some peppery/ spicy notes as well. I dont really care for this taste too much.

M: Medium balance. Not too sour or carbonated.

D: One could probably drink a lot of this, but I'm not sure I would really want to. I could smell it all day though!

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Zwanze 2009 very generously shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

A: Appears a very hazy straw color with a huge head and copious amounts of lacing. Much more head and lacing than I was expecting from a Cantillon brew.

S: OK...this is shockingly different than any beer I have ever smelled. Huge herbal and floral aromas combined with an intense scent of what can only be elderflowers. Points for intrigue, originality, allure and potency. Wow...

T: Again, a taste unlike anything I have ever had. Peppers, peppercorn, vegetable garden, chiles, jalapenos, pickles, and flowers. What a combination. If you could imagine drinking an herb & vegetable garden, this is it. Normally, when one describes a beer as tasting vegetal, the statement carries a negative connotation. Not the case here - a special experience for your taste buds provided by Cantillon.

M: Zwanze 2009 is unique in every aspect. The finish is quite dry with pronounced floral notes.

D: Profoundly interesting. What an experience. This is a great beer to share with a few folks. I am thrilled at the opportunity to try this rare delicacy.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Seriously Brad? We can drink the Zwanze 2009? Awesome.

This is one of those that I NEVER thought I would get to try. EVER. I guess never say never.

Beer is yellow and hazy (very hazy) and forms a white head of medium to small bubbles. Carbonation is high and there is a lot of lacing on the glass. Yes, there is a ton of lacing on a lambic glass. A ton.

OK, I don't know what elderflowers are but the aroma of this beer was a complete shocking surprise. Cantillon beers are awesome and amazing but they all have similar aromas. I'm not saying that there isn't subtlety and variation in their aromas, I'm saying that there are characteristics that they all share. Not this one. The first impression I got when I smelled it was vegetal. It was like a salad with green peppers or crushed peppercorns. There is almost a hoppy note to it. Very herbal overall.

Beer is medium to light in body, slightly more body than other Cantillons I've had recently. Pretty bitter as well, very herbal in the bitterness still I'm getting some flowery / hoppy characters in the back. The beer is almost spicy in a sense, still pepper character in there. Beer is overall balanced and unique. The oddest lambic I've had from Cantillon. Still pretty good.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Thanks Anders for giving me this opportunity. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into four tulip glasses.

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden color. Produced two fingers of white, foamy head. Dissipated to a thick foamy, film through consumption. Great head retention.

S- Elderflowers dominate. Very floral, almost perfume-like. The combination of aromas give off a scent akin to the unlikely combination of floral hops and chili peppers.

T- Upfront the beer has a sweet flavor combined with a bit of farmhouse funk. Almost instantly, the elderflowers takeover. Adds a peppery flavor combined with some sourness. Transitions into a spicy pepper, sweet finish. One of the most unique sours I have ever had.

M- Light to medium bodied. Just enough carbonation. Coats the palate well.

D- The elderflowers were too much for me. Bottom line.

Overall, a very unique beer, but as states above, the elderflowers really need to be toned down.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

[I had this beer as Zwanze 2009, which is a slightly different recipe than Mamouche]

The elderflowers in this beer are perfumey, dusty, and heather-like. The resulting lambic is like a gruit/lambic hybrid, if you can believe it.

Copper colored, this one is flowery and dry. Given the absurdly short amount of time the flowers spent in the beer (two days, if I understood rightly) it packs a punch. The violet taste conceals the funk, unfortunately.

Sour perfume is the result. An interesting, if two dimensional beer.

Bottle: Poured a dirty yellowish color lambic with a large foamy head with good retention and some very good lacing as well. Aroma is absolutely dominated by elder flowers and is somewhat of an acquired taste. Taste is also dominated by elder flowers and provides a floral and somewhat peppery taste to this beer which is well integrated with the tart and oak from the base lambic. Very refreshing overall though a bit too much flowers for my taste.

4.59/5  rDev +9%

A treat that Chris brought over from his trip to Belgium. At the Lion's Pride when he just got back from his flight, rolled in and pulled out some surprises, this just happened to be one of them.

Pours a golden color, good amount of haze in it, not much in the way of head or lacing.

Smell is quite unique, made with something called elder flowers, I guess this is their first time making anything with it, certainly has a unique funk/flower aroma bouncing around in my nose, bit of sour and spice, Cantillon might need to do some more with these elder flowers.

Taste is quite sour/tart, caught me off-guard after drinking an '84 gueuze that was more sweet than sour, wonderful sourness in this beer and definitely picking up some of the spice that the flowers contribute, definitely finished dry but left you wanting more.

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

Huge thanks to yespr for offering me a taste of this one. Review #500.

A: The pour is hazy yellow in color with perhaps some golden tints. There's a short lived white head, as well.

S: The nose is incredibly interesting, not like any other beer I've come across. This, of course, would be the Elder Flowers. They provide a strong floral and herbal aroma and something that I can only describe as spicy, along the lines of chiles. Unlike other Cantillon beers, this one isn't overly funky or tart in the nose.

T: The Elder flower flavor is just as intense as the aroma is. The herbal quality is again, extremely strong. The spiciness is not as pronounced, and allows the acidity and tartness to come through a bit more. There is also a slight saltiness which I wasn't expecting, but it added an interesting dimension.

M: The body is fairly standard for a lambic, a bit on the lighter side of medium with a nice tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

D: This was indeed one of the more interesting beers I've ever had. And in this case, interesting wasn't a polite way of saying "not very good". I enjoyed this experience and hope to have other years of the Zwanze beers.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

2/20/2010

Bottle shared by Yespr at Woodshop 5.0. Thanks! The beer pours hazy light yellow golden.

The nose is very strange and unlike anything else I've come across. The Elderflower presence is dominant, pervading every aspect of the aroma. Unlike most Cantillon beers, the nose isn't super funky, but subtle cheese and barnyard notes are evident. I also detect notes of citrus, dill, and oak. This Elderflower imparts a very unique character.

The beer is salty and earthy, with notes of citrus, oak, dill, and musty cheese. The Elderflower tastes herbal and rather strange, but interesting. The finish is dry and moderately sour with a lingering floral presence. This is a unique and enjoyable beer, though not particularly drinkable. The few ounces were enough for me.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

fogdog rocks!

A: Pours a nice shade of hazy golden yellow. Nice foamy head, little retention and no lace.

S: Very unique aromas. Very floral. I don't know what an elder flower smells like but I assume that is what I am picking up. There is also a strange mix of herbs and rubber behind the first floral burst. Light citrus round things out.

T: Whoa, very strange. There is a strong floral flavor (once again I assume Elder Flower) with a big blast of dill. Light citrus, salt... saltine crackers dare I say? The sourness was very light, even more so by Cantillon standards. Lots going on here, and the flavors don't seem to mesh.

M: Medium in body, smooth, a bit dry in the finish.

D: Not the most drinkable. Unique and one of a kind for sure.

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Picked up this gem from the Cantillon Brewery three days ago.
I was told it was ready for drinking right now and so I wasted no time. (I also let this breathe for about an hour after opening before my first sip)

Made with elder-flower ... is this a fruit lambic or a flower lambic I asked myself?
Pours a hazy orange into a small Cantillon goblet and forms a pretty excellent head of foam not too unlike a Duvel!

Smells pleasantly floral (as I guess it should) and tastes absolutely wonderful. The elder-flower is strong but the typical Cantillon sourness is also very re-assuringly present.
A very unique taste, I am not used to consuming elder-flowers, but perhaps as much as a DIPA such as PtE has that wonderful union of flowery hops and bitterness, Zwanze replaces the bitter with intense sour and ups the floral experience a level.

Drinkability ... finished the 750ml by myself quite easily and then wondered why I didn't buy another bottle or two!! but I'd opted for a fresh St. Lamvinus to travel back with and the luggage was getting heavy. So glad I got to taste Zwanze 2009 though. Cantillon's 2009 released beers are amazing even for their high standards ... this is the third I've tried after Blabaer and Fou Foune that have been just "wow"!!!

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a cloudy beige color with a crisp white head that fades leaving small patches of lacing.

Smell is clove, citrus, and a floral scent, and slightly musty.

Taste starts out sour up front, you can feel it on the back of your jaw, lemon, spice, clove, elder flower, finish is dry and very tart.

Lots of carbonation, and very sessionable.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Shared this one with BA buddy rvdoorn after his visit to the release party of this very special product.

A: A hazy orange color with a huge white head.

S: Elderflowers, wood, fruity sourness and some spices.

T: Sourness as to be expected for the style. Elder flower, slight grains and hops, some spices.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Nice dry finish.

D: Well, considering that is not my favorite style... GREAT drink!!! Exceptional for sure, would love to have this one again if possible.

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Zwanze beers are especially brewed for the Open Brewing Day at the Cantillon brewery. Every year the beer has a special and different ingredient. The 2009 version is brewed with...elderflowers! I was at the brewery at 7.00 a.m. and took the first guided tour. After this tour, we could try the Zwanze 2009.

Color: with the artificial lights in the dark brewery a bit difficult to see.... Looks like slightly hazy orange color, with an incredible big and fluffy head, that was not long lasting (but ok, contrary to many other brewers, Cantillon makes beer with 100% natural ingredients and therefore, the brewers don't add any products to make the froth persist).

Smell: Full of elderflower, together with the typical sourness of a (Cantillon) Lambic beer. Wood and spices are also clearly present, together with some hints of fresh citrus.

Taste: WOW, I love this one. Very well balanced sourness all over the place (with very light bitter hops tones and malts), mixed with elder flower, herbal spices, wood (from the oak barrels). The finish is a dry and spicy (herbal).

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall: I only like this style of beers if they are of extremely high quality. About the Zwanze I can only say I didn't like it... I LOVED IT! A unique beer, with a unique taste. A great experiment from the Cantillon brewers. This must be the most well balanced Lambic beer I ever had (together with the Dirty Horse from de Struise brewers). I think this beer might become even better over time (I think it is still a bit young), so in case you manage to get your hands on a bottle now, be patient, it will be rewarded for sure! (by the way, the brewer advised me to open my bottle at least 30 minutes before drinking....)

firstprev| 776-800 | 801-825 | 826-850  | next → last