Cantillon Mamouche | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

Added by rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

Thanks!

I have no idea whatsoever how elder flowers smell like or even look like but I am assuming that everything different in this beer is because of them.

Very floral and herbal aroma with those elements dominating the taste as well. The sourness in this beer is either harsh or appears so, I cannot tell. Mouthfeel is excellent but this beer is not doing it for me even though I find myself going back for another whiff and another sip. I am glad to have had it but it either is not as good as other Cantillons, or challenges my palate so much that I am baffled. Regardless it is fairly above average compared to some other swill (Mariage Parfait, I am looking at you!).

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

This one pours with an audible crackle of the CO2 being released. Slightly soapy crystal white head. The color is dusty, rudy, brownish gold. The aroma is pleasant, s bit of classic funk, some old dusty barn, and a floral perfume. The nose leads me to believe I'm in for a great experiance. My first sip leaves me perplexed and a second confirms my fears. Mamouche starts with a delicate soft sourness and slight lemon-y funk. Then I get this strange vegitile flavor, it is slightly floral but reminds me more of tomatillos. While I like some of the aspects of this beer I can't get past the vegitile tomatillo thing. Otherwise this is a flawless lambic, great mouthfeel, its fluffy and not thin. In the end the pluses of this beer just don't outweigh how I felt about the flavor. But I can at least respect this as a well crafted product.

3.52/5  rDev -15%

2016 vintage. Pours a dull, golden orange with a loose, off-white head. Nose expresses green pepper and lemon towards the back. Taste expresses citrus and green peppers. Mouthfeel is light in body with a pleasant carbonation and a mild acidity. There's also a an oily character to the texture. I've wanted to try this beer for a while; however, I have to say I was pretty disappointed.

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Worst loon for me. Still good, but floral and honeysuckle notes are a bit I'll fitting, but a discernible insect repellent finish (once noticed) is a huge turn off.

Cantillon Mamouche from Brasserie Cantillon