Cantillon Mamouche | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

Added by rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

Reviews: 176 | Ratings: 781
4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a snifter. 5/16/2011 bottle.

This looks a lot liek a gueuze. A light golden straw color, transparent everywhere and even more clear at the edges.

A soft floral sweetness dominates the aroma, with a soft funky back. Lemon zest, white pepper, and some biscuity malt provide support. The flavor starts and stays tart, with an overlaying flowery sweetness. There is a lemon zest sourness that closes out the flavor. Lemon tartness and some floral funkiness dominate the flavor, but it works out well, unlike Iris.

The body and carbonation, like the appearance, are standard Cantillon. Medium, slightly creamy carbonation, and a medium body.

I was pleasantly surprised by this; I was expecting something similar to Iris, which I did not like, but instead it was more like a slightly floral Classic Gueuze, which is great. I would drink this again for sure.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

750ml 2011 bottle split two ways, poured into a tulip

Appearance: hazy orangish gold, thick, active head that eventually receded to just the ring around the glass.

Smell: vibrant citrus and floral notes, with a hint of a pleasant vegetal aroma - like a freshly cut, ripe jalepeno.

Taste: more of the same plus a small dose of the funk. Tart and puckery, just like you'd expect. Extremely pleasant.

Mouthfeel: very active carbonation, very drying and puckering... again, just what I'd expect, but lacking the length I'd like.

Overall: delightful beer. Would happily drink this one again, though maybe on someone else's dime.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Founders snifter

A: Pours a light golden orangish colour, with a thick white foam that dissipates slowly.

S: floral notes, lemon, fruity, along with the hint of Cantillon funk.

T: The usually Cantillon taste, along with lemon and grapefruit and other fruity notes. The floral aspect of this beer, the Elder flower, is very discernible. It adds a complexity to this beer that makes it interesting and delicious.

M: The typical Cantillon fashion of tart and dry. It is highly carbonated, lightly bodied.

O: I had no idea what to expect from this beer, but it exceeded those expectations. As with the Cantillon beers I have had so far, this is delicious, but the Elder flower added a very interesting element. I am kicking myself for not purchasing another bottle.

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to Lukie @ IBS via Owen

Pours a golden mango lemon colour with a nice white head which recedes rather rapidly.

Smell is massive capsicum and green chilli. Fascinating deep Thai green curry spicy notes. Jalapeno flavoured jelly beans. There's a corny lambic note behind it. Even some malt sweetness. Really good. Also, a big dose of marijuana. Mango, peaches; it's also fruity.

Taste is more of the same capsicum/green chilli and herb notes plus some dust and cobwebs. Also has a marked sourness to it, which is solid and delicious already.

Mouthfeel is medium and sour. Good.

Unlike Fou Foune, this is ready to go out of the gate with some nice funk and mouthfeel happening. Perhaps I just prefer this style of "fruit lambic" in the first place. Very, very good, and can be compared to some far "rarer" gueuzes/lambics I've had in the past.

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

750ml corked & capped bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours an amber golden color. Small ring of whitw foam, no lacingat all. Nose is floral and a bit like green peppers, very nice.

Taste is earthy and floral with some light green pepper. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, not too sour but lightly tart and very rich. Overall quite tasty and refreshing.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Drank from my Cantillon Geuze glass

A - Pours a hazy bright Orange colour. Pure White head that retains surprisingly well for a Lambic.

S - Wow I can really smell those flowers with some lemon and grassy hay and oak. The funkiness is dominant with some lemon peel to back it up.

T - Plenty of sour Lemon and Wildflowers. The Oakyness is so perfectly balanced with sourness and a little sweetness. This is a masterful display of balance.

M - High carbonation and medium body. A little sticky but not in a bad way.

O - I really enjoyed this Cantillon, again Jean-Pierre has displayed masterful balance in this brew that somehow retains the classic Lambic sourness, but also offers up some interesting flavours. Recommended.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

This one pours with an audible crackle of the CO2 being released. Slightly soapy crystal white head. The color is dusty, rudy, brownish gold. The aroma is pleasant, s bit of classic funk, some old dusty barn, and a floral perfume. The nose leads me to believe I'm in for a great experiance. My first sip leaves me perplexed and a second confirms my fears. Mamouche starts with a delicate soft sourness and slight lemon-y funk. Then I get this strange vegitile flavor, it is slightly floral but reminds me more of tomatillos. While I like some of the aspects of this beer I can't get past the vegitile tomatillo thing. Otherwise this is a flawless lambic, great mouthfeel, its fluffy and not thin. In the end the pluses of this beer just don't outweigh how I felt about the flavor. But I can at least respect this as a well crafted product.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

A-Pours a hazy mandarin hue which leaves a fast vanishing two finger head that settles to a layer of head and a rim of lacing.

S-Salami,Floral fragant flowers,honeydew,barnyard funk,a slight mustiness and chilies.

T-Very floral with tastes of barnyard funk,ripe peaches,fruity flowers,lychee and finished with a pineapple bitterness.

M-light bodied,very zesty and finishes bone dry.

O-Another fine example of what Lambics should taste like and this is a new one for me but it definately will not be the last as the Elderflowers add a beautiful touch to this to make it totally different to the rest of their range and another one of their brews that if you find it you buy it and looking forwards to sampling the rest of my Cantillion haul cheers.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to huhzubendah for sharing.... Thanks Matt!

Pours a golden color with a thin off white head. Very cloudy looking. Nose is jalapeño, pickle, funk, and floral notes. Amazing nose. Taste profile follows suit. Unique, but very tasty beer. The pickle and jalapeño really come out in the taste. Feel is medium with excellent carbonation. Great beer overall! Really lucky I got to try this one.

It IS the best time of the year! This just arrived today. It pours a light to medium bodied dirty and muddied apricot orange in color with a creamy off white head. The aromas consist of a very acidic sour with a boatload of grains and perfume. It is very, very floral with a lot of earthiness. I get a lot of dandelion and tea leaves. It also has a lemony citrus aspect to it. It's borderline potpouri that's been allowed to ferment. It's very interesting and very dry. It drinks relatively light in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a very different lambic, and better than Iris in my opinion. Cantiloons!

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%

A bottle given to me by my buddy Chris (kkottonmouthkngz) after his trip to Belgium. Thanks brotha! Never had this and have always been curious. Bottled May 16th, 2011.

The cork comes out and there is nothing. No pop or wispy smoke, nothing. Beautiful looking beer. A muted tangerine color with a bright white head that hangs for awhile before subsiding to a frothy ring around the beers edge. Light cheese funk on the nose with an herbacious, light weed type scent on the finish. Not convinced I like the smell but also not sure I dislike. Zesty grapefruit as well. The flavor is really unique. Slight vinegar and citrus with some mild salt and pepper on the finish. Its like drinking a sea salt and vinegar potato chip without the potato and with the addition of lemon zest. Interesting but like the nose, confused as to how I feel about this. Mouthfeel is great with lively spritz.

Overall this beer is better than a 3.5 but it isn't a 4. The cumulative score represents my thoughts on this one.

3.54/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from the bottle into a flute. I had this at the sour beer event at Teresa's Next Door.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with an orange tint. There is a small amount of golden head that disappears.

Smell: Very herbal with some sour notes. A bit weird, it kind of reminds me of burning plastic.

Taste: Bitter like natural grapefruit peel. Herbal with a lemon sourness and some funk. The finish is bitter.

Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I was really excited to get to try this, but it didn't really live up to my expectations. The smell turned me off. I don't think I would search this out again.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Served from a bottle on Zwanze day at Monk's.

A - Pours hazy yellow with a nice one and a half finger tall white head leaving little to no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lemon zest, flowers, fresh cut grass, damp earth, and some light funk. A bit of spice begins to come thru as it warms in my hand.

T - Starts off with a big lemony twang slowly giving way to a mix of elderflowers, dry oak tannins, light barnyard funk, and plenty of peppery spice. The finish is a mix of light funk and spice, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderately high carbonation. Light, tart, feel with fairly active carbonation. Compared to some of the other Zwanze's this one had one of the better feels.

O - Very nice. I would have to say this was my least favorite of the three but it was still very good none the less. Glad I finally got to try it.

3.56/5  rDev -14%

Bottle opened on Zwanze Day 2011

Pours a fairly clear orangish with a nice white head. Loots pretty typical. Smells hugely of chili spice. Peachy fruit, some floral aromas and toasted chilis. There is funkiness underlying but the chili overpowers. Was not expecting that. Tastes sweet and lightly fruity and before BAM! more chili hits hard. Well carbonated and drinkable but the chili kills it for me :(

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Some pours from some bottles at the back bar at Monk's Cafe.

Mamouche came to me looking bright with a mix of yellow and a slight orange within that. A lemon shaded Lambic with some nice popping white bubbles up top, nothing clings to the glass though.

Smell is str8 up pleasant. I get the flower with the lemon with some fresh cut grass, hay and some wood from the barrel. Earthy, pungent with fruity lemon peel and barn funk.

This stuff is nothing short of amazing, it hooked me from 1st sips. The flavor is mostly a mix of fruity lemon and the elderflower. Mid palate the wood and funk/organisms attack the tounge. Afterwards some hay and funked earth patch up the damaged tounge, but the damage has already been done, Im in love.

Feel is light and very active from the bottle pour. Flavor is very pungent and sticks to the mouth for a few. Carb is very pronounced and I can feel it, yet it is not stinging me. Lactic and downright alive.

I really dug this beer, one of my favorite lambics in recent memory. Any Cantillon that sticks at 5% I always enjoy to the bone, while the ones that exceed that go in different directions for me. I gulped some glasses down pretty quick, a bottle to the head would be easy.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Big pour into an oversized wine glass from a 750ml at 2011 Zwanze Day at Holy Grale in Louisville.

Bright yellow with a dense hue, plenty of murkyness as well. Small head upon pouring that dissipates into a ring of foam around the edges of the glass.

Big vegetal presence on the nose at first similar to bell peppers, daisies, and tomatoes. Some chilis in there as well, with a background of mango and papaya. Some sage and more vegetables. Not as funky as most other Cantillons on the nose, seems to be missing that big haystack and cheese funk.

Bell peppers, chilis, some tropical fruits like papaya and mangos all have an equal presence on the tongue. A very strange experience that I have never had in the flavor of a beer. Some floral and sage presence with minimal funk. Pretty strange, really.

Medium body with some stickyness. A tingle of carbonation

Massive vegetal, herbal and floral presnce with minimal funk on the nose and tongue. A real unique but strange beer. Glad to try it, don't think I'lll ever seek it out again though.

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%

750mL bottle poured into wine glass during Zwanze Day 2011 at monks in philly

Pours a clouded golden yellow color with straw tones, very thick fluffy head. Retains for a bit, leaving patchy lacing on the glass, nice legs.

Floral in the nose with peppery tones, faint spice and heat, almost like a cross between bell and jalapeno peppers. Tart funk, yeast, straw, and lemon peel. So different and so fantastic.

Lemon zest with citrus notes. Peppery spice and slight vegetable (bell and jalapeno peppers) notes. Decent sourness with white grapes. Plenty of floral character from the elderflowers, distinct but fascinating. Funk and straw towards the finish with light acidity.

Medium body, higher carbonation, refreshing and zesty on the tongue. One of the most unusual yet delicious beers I've ever had. Even at $10 per glass, I went back for more - it's almost tough to explain this beer without actually tasting it.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Had at zwanzie day. I still cannot spell that Damn word. Also known as Marmaduke.

A- hazy orange body with a white wispy head.

S-starts out fruity and maybe has a little chili powder in the end.

T-follows the nose. Very spicy. Acidic and very funky

M-medium body and smooth

O-like the spiciness. I think my dad would like this.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

750 bottle, 2010 cork.

pours a very hazy vibrant golden yellow. very impressive head that just sits there all puffy and what not.

smells like a flower, what else? hints of pear and apple with a slight sour lemon. a deep funk beneath.

very bitter with a fresh flower flavor. almost tastes like biting into the stem of a flower. a hint of funk and lemon through out. a nice light oak flavor through out. the oak seems to compliment the elder flower. elder flower really comes out in the finish and linegrs.

nice and dry with a light body and moderate carbonation.

interesting although at the same time the elder flower really comes off strong.

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to freud for the 750ml bottle. Opened and shared at BCTC VIP camping 2011.

Opened after dark with little ambient light, so visual assessment a little lacking. Great head poured into a mini-pils glass - glorious lacing. The aroma is utterly unique from all the Cantillons I've had over the years - bright, somewhat medicinal in a good way, only a little floral. I'm writing this review from notes as I sniff a sprig of fresh elderflowers as a reminder. Taste is sharp up front - tart & astringent, then an unusual floral/citrusy component. Finish is bone dry and astringent, with a hint of something herbal, though not unpleasant - quite refreshing, actually! Like nothing I've ever tasted, but no previous experience with elderflowers, or elderberries.

An herbalist friend advises that elderflowers are used as a mild skin astringent and to open pores and promote perspiring (diaphoretic) - such a reaction was not attributable by this taster, although it was a rather hot evening! A unique offering - looking forward to Zwaanze Day to try the newest one.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured in July 2011 for my birthday Cantillon tasting.

Dark hazy orange color.

Smells very unusual. Like no other beer I've smelled really, hard to identify any particular scents. Maybe some odd floral notes, some odd citrus. Mainly my reaction was "what the heck is that smell?" It's hard to assign a rating to a smell when your main reaction is surprise, but I'll give this one some points just for being so unique and memorable.

Taste is just as unusual as the smell. What the heck? I've never eaten elderflowers, but I expected something much closer to other flower flavors I've had in beer--chrysanthemum, rose, etc. This was not remotely like those things. A very dark, tangy kind of floral flavor, not at all what you'd expect from the pretty white flowers on the label. The sourness is also a very odd kind of sourness, reminds me much more of eating a grapefruit than of drinking a sour beer. There's some grapefruit and other weird citrus in the flavor too.

This is a totally unique beer that really caught me off guard, but I definitely liked it and would love to try it again now that I'm better prepared for it.

8.0/10

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottled in 2010, shared with the guys last night.

Pouring a light yellow with a dense, frothy head with excellent retention and lacing, this is a gorgeous beer. The nose is unlike anything I've previously experienced. Incredibly spicy with a blend of white pepper and jalapenos (!!!), there's a moderately floral character to it Behind it, the lambic is noticeable. Lemony and moderately oaky with a lactic bite, there's some funk noticeable, but it's really covered up by the strong elderflower aroma.

The palate opens spicy, again with a blend of crushed white pepper and a jalapeno-like vegetal spiciness. Moderately pefumey, the mid-palate brings out the base lambic. Wonderfully lemony and lactic, this has a solid lip-smacking tartness. A little oaky with some vanilla and tannins, this beer dries out on the finish with a blend of lemon and pepper. Light in body with absolutely wonderful carbonation, this is airy, creamy and the combination of sourness and spiciness on the finish is unique. Excellent stuff, though I feel like the elderflower character is just a little overdone.

**Edit 07 Nov 2015**
My only other bottle of the first batch. It was a good night at Nathan's when I last had this beer. Still spicy as hell qith jalapenos, some pickle and elderflowers. There's also a touch of honey that's come with age which complements the spicy notes. The base lambic, lactic and mildly lemony is delicious. Spicy oak to go with spicy elderflowers. Delicious.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Unlabeled 750ml bottle served in a Lambic basket at the brewery; poured into a tasting glass.

A: Lightly hazy gold body with an impressive two inches of frothy, sticky white foam. Good retention and great lace for the style. Lovely.

S: The flowers absolutely dominate the aroma with spicy, perfumy, woody, herbal splendor. It smells like a greenhouse, with some earthy funk and tart lemon underlying the huge floral aroma. Wow.

T: The floral notes turn into profound spiciness here, with funk + ample sourness on the tail end. Intense and enjoyable, but not quite as enthralling as the gorgeous aroma. I just wish it tasted as perfumy as it smelled, although I'm not entirely convinced that that would be possible.

M: Very lively medium body. Perfectly frothy, perfectly smooth.

O: Don't ever let anyone say that Belgian brewers are mired in tradition and unwilling to experiment. Mamouche is entirely unlike any beer I've ever tasted or even heard of, and it's spectacularly good. I split this bottle with a group of Lambic newbies, and everyone was blown away by its uniqueness (even if they couldn't quite handle its intensity). It was especially tasty as a component of impromptu blends with the Gueuze/Kriek/Framboise that other people were drinking, as the floralness works as beautifully as a secondary component of Cantillon funk as the primary one. I wish this beer were easier to come by, as I'd just love to have it again.

Cheers!

M:

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Huge thanks to Andy for the generous Christmas gift. Mamouche version. Poured into a tulip and shared with four friends. Pours a golden honey color with a huge airy head. The head settles down to a thin layer of foam.

Very floral and perfumy on the aroma. A slight golden delicious apple aroma and a little bit of oak and must. A little bit sweet on the pallet; it really reminds me of dried apples. Floral flavors and just a little bit of lemon in the finish making it a little bit tart. Kind of oaky on the finish.

Light crisp feel but the carbonation seems a little bit exposive. Overall an interesting beer. I'm having a little trouble summing it up here because it seems so unique. Enjoyable and worth trying.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to Morgan and Cena from Sweden for sharing the last bottle at the Cantillon Brewery this year.

Vintage 2010

A: Golden on straw ale with excellent clarity. Two fingers of bone white foam falls to a quilt of the same, which stays for the life of the beer. Central column of continuous bubbles. Spotty lacing.

S: Whoa, I could smell this as soon at it was corked! The Elderberry Blossoms are potent! I have never had this flower in my face, so I can't compare, my table mates said it was totally obvious (Cena didn't know it was brewed with the flower and called it out immediately). To me: peppercorns, soil, black tea, cilantro and a hint of mint. Can't get my nose out of the glass, it's embarrassing given my new company wants to chat.

T: Initially soil forward, peppery, herbal. I honestly am having a difficult time describing this beer. It's something I would pair with oysters on the half-shell alongside some enanthaler and chilled white grapes. There, that clears it up right?

M: Thin bodied with prickly carbonation. Good dry finish. Truly this is like a sparkling wine.

O: This beer is excellent, complex, fun and intriguing. I wish there was some to buy from the brewery because it's amazing!

Cantillon Mamouche from Brasserie Cantillon