Cantillon Don Quijote | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Don QuijoteCantillon Don Quijote

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

A fruit lambic brewed with Italian grapes similar to Concord grapes or Fox grapes (Vitis Labrusca) brewed exclusively for a Florence, Italy, Pub in 2008.

Added by kappldav123 on 06-12-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 81
1.32/5  rDev -70.6%

Uber rarity, unfortunately the bottle I received was corked. From notes.

Appearance: Pour is a red-orange amber, small white head.

Smell: Off musty / rotten flavors that you expect from corked wine; I have sampled in the neighborhood of 30-50 bottles of Cantillon in my life and this is the first one that has been "bad", I knew almost instantly that something was amiss.

Taste: The must / rotten flavors dominate on the first sip. Very much a TCA issue, there was no way to finish it or enjoy the bottle. This is not "good" funk, as I typically enjoy those sorts of flavors, from Cantillon in particular. Sourness was still there. It is one of those things some people don't pick up on, but once you know the taint you will always detect it.

Mouthfeel: Dry, thin, medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As described above, this bottle clearly had some issues. I doubt I get to try it again and do not know where those issues came from, but as-is it was undrinkable. I noticed some people may have picked up on this from reading other reviews, to a lesser extent, while some may not have had an issue at all.

3.56/5  rDev -20.7%

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 2, oct 9/2010. tpd975 contributed this one. thanks greg!

750ml corked and capped bottle.

pours muddy red, a bit clearer toward the top of the bottle. no head and no sign of lace.

aroma is ok. feet. alcohol. bit of nail polish remover. earth and a bit of wood. malt vinegar. bit of dark fruit. nutty.

taste is nice. similar to the aroma, but with less of the feet and other harsh notes. leather. horse blanket. sherry. low bitterness level. medium acidity.

mouthfeel is goood. light body with a fairly dry finish. medium-low carbonation level.

drinkability is good. not the worst sour i've had, but certainly not the best either. a little rough around the edges, but not unpleasant overall.

3.56/5  rDev -20.7%

Thanks to one bad mofo for this one. Adam you are a tickers best friend. Poured from a bottle into my tasting glass.

A: Amber gold hue. Not much head no lace.

S: WTF! Straight up cow manure. This is the most "barnyard" beer I've ever encountered. There is a touch of grapes in there but it's heavily masked by the grren cow poop aroma. I understand what they were shooting for but god damn!

T: Luckily the poop doesn't come through as much in the flavor. It's there but the grapes have taken over. Lactic sour and loads of wet wood.

M: Light crisp body. Modest carbonation.

D: I'm not sure I get this beer. Super glad to try it but why would I want to taste manure? Maybe I'm crazy. This one is a miss for me.

3.57/5  rDev -20.5%

7/30/2010

375ml bottle poured into a snifter. The beer is dark red tinged orange with good clarity (sediment left behind) and a small white head. It's a very nice color.

The aroma is quite interesting. The fruit character reminds me of a cross between an unripened strawberry and grape skins with a little bit of flesh. It's musty and earthy, with notes of oak and a strong wet leather profile. I keep returning to the unripened strawberry character in my notes. It is very interesting and certainly unique. I detect a low acetic presence.

The flavor is unripened strawberries with moderately tart musty grape skins and faint raspberry vinegar notes. It's moderately lactic and acetic. Light lemon notes are evident with an accompanying moderate citric acidity and oak. I detect wet leather and earthy notes. The beer has a piquant and oaky tannic strawberry grape finish with a lower high level of lactic sourness that lingers. The finish is quite tart, mouth puckeringly so. The fruit profile is unique and delicious.

The mouthfeel is dry and lightly tannic; carbonation is at an upper low/lower medium level.

This is very good right now, and I think it will improve with age. These Italian grapes are quite delicious. This paired wonderfully with a Danish Bleu Cheese.

11/08/2012

I've tried this from six separate bottles and I think it's time to update my score. Approximately 1 of the 6 bottles has been great, but the others have suffered from a not insubstantial enterobacter aroma (think urinal mint and feces). It's a trend and not remotely aberrational. I love the label of the beer and I like the flavor, but I don't think time will correct the aroma. Some people have many bottles of this left so they will not dwell on the flaws or they will choose to ignore them. They might not even be aware of them (unlikely). But for me, Don Quijote will be forever synonymous with a great label, enterobacter, and a confusing amount of popularity. Give me Saint Lamvinus, Classic Gueuze, or countless other lambics or American sours and I'll be much happier.

I'm dropping this from a 4.5 (first bottle) to a 3.63.

3.67/5  rDev -18.3%

750ml bottle courtesy of Masterski.

Just 240 750ml bottles and 140 375ml bottles of this rarity were made for Goblin's Pub in Pavullo del Negro, Italy. Bottles were available only at the pub. And you could mail order them. But only those two methods.

Funny things, these Italian grapes. They're similar to Concord grapes, which are what Welch's uses for their eponymous grape juice. And I could not get that out of my head.

Though I did try: Don Quijote looks different, being copper colored and carbonated. And it smells.. uh.. kind of different, like leather, pepper, geosmin, and gravel. And Welch's grape juice. Wave upon wave of that musky grape fluid.

The taste is mostly juice, underwritten by Cantillon's signature sweaty fetlock, yellow woodsorrel, and oak barrel. Some residual sweetness coats the mouth.

A nice effort, especially if you're a fan of Welch's. Some age would do it good.

3.7/5  rDev -17.6%

Review #500. Big thanks to a very generous Sean9689 for succumbing to peer pressure and popping this treat open.

A - Orangish color with a slightly offwhite head that looked a little bit carbonated, surprisng for the type of beer this is. Has some nice brownish, purple hues to it, giving the hint of the concord grapes in there.

T - Oh God, I hate doing this after drinking the beer because it was nice and tasty, but I got the very distinct smell of horse manure. It litererally smelled so much like horse shit, that I had to not breath through my nose while I was drinking this (I worked with horses for a while, and it was like mucking out the stables). HUGE manure smell, not just kind of stinking, but like I stuck my face in a pile of it, wow. I don't know how everyone else was enjoying the smell, it got described by them as "horsey" or "farmy" but it was so bad for me I was repulsed. So strange, maybe just an off nose that day but I couldn't stand it. On the plus side, some nice grape came through, but I really couldn't keep sticking my nose in this much.

T - As long as I wasn't breathing through my nose, it tasted very well. Surprised that I couldn't taste horse shit, or at least my perception of it, given how closely smell and taste are linked. There is definately a lot of old barn smell in there, slightly damp hay, horse leather and blanket, and the concord grapes have a very strong, but not overpowering, grape taste. Some nice funk and tartness, it is the nicest bit jammy.

M - Jammy, smooth, dry, has a bit of a sparkling bubble carbonation, which suits it well.

D - I got it all down, but I had to hold my breath due to the horse shit taste. Other than that, this was a great beer.

3.82/5  rDev -14.9%

First review in 250 reviews where I'm not adding the beer. Came out of retirement to offer an opinion not skewed by hype.

Sampled 3/5/2011.

Pours a crazy pinkish orange color with a mostly white (stained with a little pink) head, moderately hazy, no lacing or retention.

Aroma is great. Heavy on the red grapes, some spices, and a healthy dose of barnyard funk and lemon in the background followed by a hint of oak. I could smell this all day.

Flavor is a huge let down. Those intense red grapes are there along with the typical fruity funk and lemon that I've come to love in my Cantiloons but what's this? Ocean water? Tastes like someone blended a pinch of sand and salt into the mix. And then comes the oak, and more oak. Very odd.

Mouthfeel is lambic. Light, really bubbly, refreshing. Drinkability is hindered by the seawater aspect of the beer.

Ƭίcƙ/Special Occasion for Wales #5,733

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Opened by Thorpe429, thanks -- huge want of mine and a pretty good grape lambic.

Beer is pinkish / purple and hazy with a thin diffuse head of tiny bubbles that don't leave any lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks pretty good for a sour.

Aroma is fruity, like grapes with a sulfurish (not in a bad way) undertone and mild lactic sourness. I was expecting some more acetic, it was there but I'm not sure why I thought this would be vinegar.

Beer is light in body and has a mild sweetness to it, its lactic and acetic sour with hints of citric acid as well. Its not too complex, not getting a lot of grass or hay but there is a mild oakiness to it but without the vanilla, more the funk. Its nice and easy to drink. I think I like Lamvinous better but this is a good beer and I would definitely drink it again.

4.12/5  rDev -8.2%

RATING #1000!!! MILESTONE TICK HERE I COME!!! The tick train keeps rolling on, plowing over anyone who stands in its way. 750ml bottle shared by MasterSki.

The color is hazy reddish-copper and the white head leaves a thick white ring on the glass. Good lacing.

The aroma is interesting - red grapes, funk, earth, and cobwebs.

The flavor has a lot in common with Welch's grape juice, but in a very good way. Concord grape, goat blanket, and typical Cantillon funk.

Nice palate - medium acidity with medium body and somewhat lively carbonation.

Very good fruit lambic overall. Justifies the hype for the most part.

4.13/5  rDev -8%

750mL thanks to Travlr. Given to me on my 24th birthday and shared at Sour Epic Part 2. Thank you Gene! The pour is quite hysterical- sort of a clear, neon purple with deep sunset highlights. A short lived pink head fizzes. Dregs at the end look opaque fuschia. Nose is at first a lot of white grape juice moving to sweet strawberry and tangy rhubarb. Very bright aroma and sweet grape juice and even hints of cinnamon and clove. Taste is straight geuze all the way with big tanginess, white pepper, mild berry character, and ruby red grapefruit sections and peel. Acidity level is perfect- juicy and tangy. Vibrant and bright. Perfect palate. Very yummy overall though I’m told the grape robustness is falling off and instead gaining more normal geuze complexity like older Blabaer batches. 12/12/2011 8/4/8/5/16=4.1

4.16/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Hazy brick red color. Small collection of tiny bubbles along the wall of the glass. The smell combines mild mushrooms, damp earth, slight vinegar, sweaty feet, grape skins, and some faint smell I could only compare to a box of crayons. Ultimately this beer is straight up funky as hell. Like someone dumped a bag of top soil into a locker filled with dirty gym clothes.

The flavor has a lot of super tart berries and dry wine characteristics. Almost like a cross between a Rose and Labrusca wine. Tannins from the grape skin aren't really noticeable. Slight waxy flavor that is linked to the crayon smell I got. A little oily on the palate. This beer is very tart. Dry brett finish. Once again, Cantillon made another super complex grape lambic. And an interesting choice in using labrusca grapes.

4.3/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many, many thanks to Alex for sharing this pricey rarity.

Mildly hazy with a thin head that leaves a little lace. Solid for an unblended druivenlambik. The nose is unique. Concord grape juice, curing leather (as opposed to wet leather), plenty of wet earth, grape stems. Solid stuff. Mildly gamey even? My initial whiff made me think that this beer was corked, but the more I smelled it (and the more it breathed), I realized that it was mostly just a very musky beer.

Palate opens moderately sour with a prominent lemon and moderate grape character a little dull, very leathery and moderately musky. Wet earth. Drying on the finish with moderate musky character. Medium light in body with low carbonation. Very musky, this character really grows as it warms up, and I think this is what I mistook initially for a gamey character. Not very tannic. Low vanilla. Still, very concord grape-like in character. Finish is earthy and musky. Excellent. Unique, this is significantly different from Vigneronne, St. Lamvinus and Pinot D'aunis

4.32/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks for sharing this, Alex.

The body is hazy reddish-amber, almost purple, and nicely carbonated. A half-inch head slowly settles to a collar, leaving scattered lacing.

It smells unlike any other beer I've had. Leathery and dusty with a unique musty grape character that smells both sweet and earthy. The similarity to concord grapes is apparent, it has a trace of that candy-like sweetness.

While the aroma hints at sourness, on the tongue it's sharply sour, surprisingly so, lactic in character. The grapes lend an interesting musty, earthy, semi-sweet flavor that does a good job of balancing the acid. It's very mouthwatering and fruity, and light on the tannins and oak for a Cantillon beer. The finish is clean and bright, and it's very easy to drink despite the strong acidity. Very enjoyable, one of the most unique beers in Cantillon's lineup.

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into Lost Abbey Stemware.

Pours a white head with a pink hue to it. Color is a grapefruit ruby red.

Aroma: Sour grapes and manure. Definitely has a cow barn flavor to it. Very funky and farm yard funk to it. Oak and lemon citrus. Has some hay and grass.

Taste: Just like cow barn. Manure is big. So weird. Sour grapes is big though. Some oak and acidity here with lemon citrus. It is definitely funky. I am very intrigued by this one. The grapes dominate the taste.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, and funky. Lighter bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This one is mouth puckering. Ends dry.

Overall, it was actually fairly good for having a manure flavor to it. So funky. It was good, definitely interesting. I am glad to have tried this one.

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%

One of the many outstanding bottles shared at a tasting we had last night at beerloco's. Big thanks to Ryan for bringing this gem!

Appearance: Pours an attractive radiant blood orange with a 1 finger white crown that displays moderate retention and decent lace.

Smell: This one is all about that distinctive fruity grape note (thinks welsh's grape jelly filled grape bubblegum) in the beginning that then gets washed over by a classic Cantillon urine and yeast wave. Truly unique and highly enjoyable.

Taste: Same as the nose but more integrated and not as grape dominant as the nose. I'd give it a 4.25 if I could.

Mouthfeel: Thin, fairly spritzy, and slightly watery in the finish. My lease favorite aspect of this brew.

Drinkability: All day and all of the night!

4.39/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle generously shared by colonelforbin. Huge thanks to Mike for sharing this rarity. The Don pours cruddy reddish amber with a small white head that settles to a ring and leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass. The musty, earthy grape juice. Lots of grape juice, like Welch's. There is also an aroma that smells like smarties as well as a bit of a mineral note and very light sulfur. The initial taste has a bit of sweetness with lots of musty grape juice. It is fairly tart with lactic acid. The smarties come through in the taste as well. The finish is drying with more grape juice. There as also a slight astringency. Medium body. Medium-low carbonation. This beer is certainly unique and very good. The Don lives up to the hype.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

375ml bottle, 2008. Pours a clear rosy pink with a small white head. Nose is very, very dry, grape skins, deep, strange funk, floral almost. Really a lot of musty, barnyard funk. Sour of course, lemon acids, really dry wine barrel, long, sour finish where the funk just blooms. Not acetic, which was a concern given some aged Cantillon fruit lambics I've had. This is one of the most dry, deeply funky beers I've ever tasted, and it's really interesting. Tannic, oaky, bright, deep. Tight, refined, and focused. Amazing how dry and expressive the funk is here. Freakin' good.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

From 01/22/11 notes. Total surprise to get to the tasting and see this one; huge thanks to ygtbsm94; thanks again Brad, this is one beer I just assumed I would never get to try. Review # 1000!

a - Pours a somewhat murky raspberry pink color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of oak, welch grapes, tart fruit, funk, yeast, and a little manure. I like the smell and did not get as much manure as some people do, but it's definitely the weakest part of the beer in my opinion.

t - Tastes of oak, grapes, tart apples, funk, tart fruit, and earthy notes.

m - Light body and low carbonation, awesome smooth body. Insanely easy to drink.

d - I thought this was an outstanding beer, aside from the smell. I just couldn't get over the small manure in the smell to give this a better grade; without that this one would have been even better. Would love to have again and very glad I even got to try this one once.

4.57/5  rDev +1.8%

never ever thought i would be doing this....

pour was a faint red with some violet. head was white and frothy with a hint of faint color like light red in it. some retention and lacing. pour was from towards the top so it was fairly clear and clean.

scent was interesting. lots of cheese, old sweat, musty, with this light sharpness and intense concord grape. very complex and interesting.

starts out quite sour and intense, then starts to fade out with a just amazing combination of subtle oak, mustiness, and straight grape in the finish. the grape just sits on the tongue. yes.

nice and dry with some help from the oak. nice mild carbonation, slight sweetness.

this was amazing, lots of interesting characteristics all over it.

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Very excited to be able to try this one. 375mL bottle.

Pours a bit lighter than cranberry juice. Maybe a slight golden tint, but not much--this is pretty much all red. Absolutely gorgeous color. Nice thin white head and some lacing as it goes down. Nose brings forth plenty of sour grapes along with some Brett and a bit of sourness. Also some hay and oak in there. The flavor really accentuates the grapes, and leaves the funk and the sourness in the background. I really like where it ended up. Mouthfeel is nice, as the interplay between the fruit flavors and the funky sourness are really carried by the carbonation. Drinkability is really quite great, as this finds a very nice balance between fruit, funk, and sour.

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle. Pours a amber red color with a white collared head. Very purple grape smellig like concord grapes. Barnyard as well. The aroma has a slight aroma of horse apple aka barnyard manure, this aroma seems to be quite polarizing, either you like it or hate it. The taste is leaps and bounds better than the aroma and I like the aroma! Flavorwise I get purple grape first and foremost followed by some earthiness and oakiness. The taste is really good, wow. Don Q is the man. Sour and tart that makes you pucker. Light mouthfeel with nice balance of carbonation. Overall, a really nice beer and one that I will probably never get the chance to try again.

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%

4oz. sample poured into a Founders snifter. 750ml capped and corked bottle. Reviewed from notes. The beer of the night! Shared at Mikey711's tasting on 10/16/10.

A: Pours a filmy white lace atop the brew that reveals very little carbonation. Not the most impressive but very lambic-like. Beer is a cloudy reddish-tomato. Lacing is thick and sparse with good cling.

S: Grape peel and pulp upfront with a huge, pungent cheese, cobweb, and funky feet aroma. Holy moly, this beer doesn't hide a thing! Sweet with just the smallest hint of booze in the background. Very pungent and spoiled (in a good way) but absolutely, unmistakably delicious.

T: Tart and sweet grape upfront. Spicy, floral, and very very cheesy. Tartness creeps in towards the middle and end with the fruit never really fading but rather, sharing in the display. Absolute perfect balance the whole way through. Dries right before the finish which is fruity and and sours with a quick, sweet aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and very lightly carbonated. Smooth and silky in the mouth and goes down so easily, caressing the palate all the way through. It doesn't get any better than this. Finish is relatively clean with a quickly dissipating aftertaste.

D: With this and Blabaer, Cantillon can do no wrong! Almost perfect in every sense of the word. Not the most complex beer but very well balanced and I feel like it does what it sets out to do perfectly, which is display a prominent fruit in a lambic setting. Worthy of all the praise!

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%

Goddamn this was delicious. From notes at mikey's tasting.

Pours a great pinkish raspberry color with some light foam, effervescent with a touch of lace.

Aroma was just downright footy with some awesome grape flavor. Crushed flesh with some earthy skin flavor and bales of straw. Some juiciness but its not sweet or artificial in any sense, just awesome, deep flavor that is well integrated. Really awesome. Well executed acidity in the taste, carbonation in check allowing flavors to mingle and not too sharp of a sourness, dry mustiness through the finish with grape flavor in balance.

An awesome beer. A shame that this wale is so rare and expensive.

4.67/5  rDev +4%

One of my contributions to our Pittsburgh tasting. This was a 750mL bottle that I was lucky enough to procure from a very generous person.

The color is an interesting pink-highlighted red that glows an almost DAY-GLO orange when it is in the presence of a light source. There is very coarse head that dissipates as quickly as it forms. Streamers of bubbles work their way upwards from 5 nucleation points around the bottom of the glass. The body is somewhere in between clear and translucent.

The aroma blows me away with the most insane funky, sweaty hoseblanket that I have ever smelled. It completely dominates the initial impression of the aroma. It gives way to a sweet grape aroma that is still steeped in funky stank. The bouquet is rounded out by a big earthiness.

Drink this one at cellar temp and above. It starts off great, and steadily improves as it warms. Around 60F, it really hits its peak. There is a medium-range sourness that is quickly dominated by the huge bretty and wild funkiness that was so powerful in the nose. Florentine grapes add a notable and welcome fruity sweetness to an otherwise funky and sour beer. Don Quijote finishes up by drying out the palate with an awesome dryness and oodles of earthy tannic notes. As good as this is right now, age will only serve let this mature and improve even more.

In typical Cantillon fashion, the DQ has a spritzy initial feel with a spot-on light-to-medium texture. The finish is bone dry. Complex and deep, and extremely delicious. There is way more to that funk than I am capable of describing with my vocabulary. This is, without a doubt, one of the driest and funkiest lambics I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. The grape fruitiness serves only to bring this back closer to center on the sour spectrum, while adding some very subtle and well-balanced fruit notes to the otherwise dry and earthy brew. Cantillon does it again. Easily one of my favorite offerings from one of the world's best lambic brewers. Hype aside, this is a worthwhile beer to pursue.

4.67/5  rDev +4%

HUGE thanks to Umberto for busting out this rare treat during our epic drinking session at The Goblin Pub in Pavullo nel Frignano, Italy. Your generosity knows no limits!

Pours a hazy, bright amber color with golden orange edges and a one finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Sporadic streaks and spots of soapy lacing left behind.

Sweet vinous aroma with a really strong grape presence countered by a decent amount of musty funk. Nice earthy barnyard character with some horseblanket, lactic funk, cobweb, oak and grape must. Subtle acetic presence but the sweet grape and vinous dark fruit notes keep it in check. Very inviting nose with the vinous fruit and musty funk complimenting each other perfectly.

Tart and puckering with a good amount of sourness but it never becomes harsh or overly acidic. Lots of earthy barnyard funk and sweet, vinous fruit notes balancing things out. Kind of reminds me of fresh St. Lamvinous but just a bit sweeter and more vinous. There's a very prominent grape presence that counters the dry, musty funk and sour acidity nearly perfectly. Surprising how prominent the vinous fruit still is after four years. Some brett and lactic funk contribute to the complexity yet this beer remains delicate and easy to drink with some lingering acetic flavor in the finish that leaves me drooling for more. I could see this being too sweet and not sour enough for some people but I loved the balance of flavors.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast