Cantillon Brabantiae | Brasserie Cantillon

cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

Added by fewa on 04-11-2011

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle graciously shared by Joel. Thanks!

This is the dirtiest bottle I've ever held in my hands. Black, tarry remnants of old parchment imply they were once part of a beer label as they disentigrate in my hands. Cap is rusted to hell, yet the cork is in excellent shape. Loud POP when it's pulled lets you know the beast inside is still alive and kicking.

Active, scruffy orange-gold body beneath a beautifully thick, fluffy, white head. As beautiful as it is unexpected. Billowing aroma of barnyard funk ascends from my glass. Were my eyes closed, I'd swear I was standing on a hay-covered floor inside a barn. Cheesy must, soured yeast, dry and earthy. This is what I assume it's like to nibble on a 23-year-old Gouda.

First sip brings dry yeast and citrus to the palate. Puckering sourness sets in almost immediately. Deeply funky yeast shows a level of flavor maturation I've never experienced with yeast before. Tremendous complexity at every turn. This is the oldest sour I've had (by 13 years!), and I now understand the "aged Cantillon acidity" other reviewers often cite. If only every lambic were this sour (and good!)...

I enjoyed Brabantiae immensely. This gueuze held up like a champ since its bottling in 1989, and it makes a strong case for cellaring every Cantillon / 3F bottle you have for two decades. Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle generously shared by me at my birthday pre-party. Served in a Kuhnhenn snifter.

A - After an adventure getting the broken cork out while the beer slowly gushed out around the residual chunks, the beer finally made its way into my glass. Voluminous white foam that settles to a solid cap and splotchy lacework. Murky orange body. Shockingly lively for a 23-year-old Gueuze.

S - The taste is extremely musty, with notes of cheesecloth, damp basement, old cedar chest, green apple skins, and mild oxidation. There's a faint yet sharp acetone note buried in there too. I initially wasn't sure about this one, but it grew on me a the beer warmed up.

T - Intense apple cider vinegar, tangy oak, leather, and less obvious oxidation. Sour, even for a Cantillon offering, but in more of a lemon juice and less of a vinegar kind of way. Again, plenty of earthen basement and old furniture. Strangely compelling.

M - Super dry, oaky, and tannic, with nice zesty carbonation, and surprisingly hefty medium body.

D - A singular experience, and an enjoyable no less. The flavors that have developed are quite interesting and manage to avoid veering into unpalatable territory. Yes, there's oxidation but not an excessive amount for a beer this old. Much more enjoyable that some of the ancient De Dolles I've had. Would drink again, but not at the price I paid for the bottle.

4.09/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle popped by oreo. Thanks for nothing loser. Poured into my brand new 7venth Sun snifter.

A-Pours a dull light brown in color with a surprising amount of head for such an old beer. I got near the end of the bottle so there is significant amount of sediment.

S-Nose is surprisingly heavy port and lemon rind, leather, it just smells old as shit.

T-Tart port notes, lemon rind, and must.

M-Surprising carbonation, almost a little spritzy, light mouthfeel.

O-I know these bottles that are hit and miss, but I think we got a winner. An awesome treat to have, thanks Mike.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. From Notes.

Appearance: I had the joy of removing the clay cap, which was a first for me. Pour was a slightly cloudy golden orange, good head and some lacing.

Smell: very cheesy, playful and fruity, touch of oxidation. Great barnyard bits, touch of sherry.

Taste: Again, quite cheesy, earthy and funk. Not nearly as sour as I expected given the age. Lots of depth and quite dynamic

Overall: Taste of history, tons of layers and complexity.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Served in a Cantillon glass, have to drink them all. Beer is odd looking, like dish water, brown hazy, no head, thin body, low carbonation, it looks old.

Very oaky, musky, funky, bitter in the nose, interesting aroma.

Beer tastes like a Cantillon, even after all these years this is what it tastes like, a lot funkier, the oak is turning into something else entirely, nice finish, quite tannic, dry. Interesting, probably never get to have it again but given the opportunity I sure would.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

From 04/14/12 notes. Had at our Epic DC Sour tasting. Cool to try a bottle this old, from 1989.

a - Pours a murky orange brown color with one inch of off white head and light to moderate carbonation evidne.t Bottl was a light gusher.

s - Smells of musty notes, dark fruits, light funk, oak, earthy notes. Good but not too funky or sour. A bit old and musty.

t - Tastes of barnyarf funk, sour fruits, dark fruit, oak, earthy notes, musty notes, light spice. Taste is much better then the nose, with a lot more funk and some sourness to it.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Super smooth and easy to drink.

o - Overall I liked this one quite a bit. The nose was good, but the taste was great and it was very easy to drink. Very nice funk and sourness in the taste, worth seeking out.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Cantillon wine glass.

After we were finally able to get the clay off the cap and get the nearly-disintegrated cork out of the bottle, this one pours a hazy golden color with a very small head that actually feel to leave a spot or two of lacing.

The nose carries some light bread and a touch of oxidized malt. Over the top of that was a moderate barnyard aroma with a bit of cheese and dough. Light notes of sherry and a touch of woodiness in the background.

Long flavor progression across the palate with a bit of perceived sweetness followed by moderate acidity and funk. Very light carbonation, giving way to a finish of cheese and basement notes.

Overall, this was really interesting and I really dug the funk mixed with oxidation notes. A real winner for me.

What fun. A Cantillon gueuze from 1989. After the cork fell apart, plummeting into the bottle, we finally managed to distribute some clean pours. The beer is hazy and murky, appearing a dark orange hue. The aroma brings age, funk, ripe citrus fruit, and classic Cantillon gueuze scents. The flavor is good but not great. Notes of basement, ripe oranges, really old gueuze (shocker there). Maybe a hint of lemon zest or other assorted tart fruits. Tangy and tart lip smacking finish. Overall, a fun experience, but not worth the exorbitant cost.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%

750ml bottle. Shared with the staff at Toronado (those lucky guys).

When we removed the rusty cap, the cork immediately shot up 1cm, which was a good sign! Still great carbonation after all these years!!

Our bottle most definitely was not a gusher, it was perfectly carbed for a bottle conditioned lambic, which is shocking given the age.

Pour was a nice foamy golden, with a 1 finger nice frothy head.

Smell was extremely funky.. maybe even a tiny bit little mildewy, but overall the taste blew me away. It was still as crisp as ever, and I was genuinely shocked at how well the bottle held up. It was still very tart and obviously pretty dry. Nice hints of grapefruit, lemon zest, among the subtle barnyard and recessed oak flavors. The flavors were really quite layered, and not all that one-dimensional as some have described. Crisp is an adjective I'd use again, as I wouldn't expect that from a lambic with this much age on it.

Overall, I'm extremely happy to have had it. It's easily in my top tier of belgian geuezes right now, having had some of the other "renowned white whales", I can safely say this beer (for now anyways) does not disappoint. Worth what it's selling on Ebay? I don't think many beers are, but if beers like Roos and Millenium are commanding those prices, based on taste alone, this one has them beat.

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

No listing on Ratebeer so I needed to post this up here. 1989 bottle brought to a tasting by jbatey. 750ml bottle actually gushed. Couldn't believe after 20 years in the bottle, it gushed. The bottle itself looks like it's been through hell. Pours a murky, burnt yellow with a thin, creamy white head. Nose is musty, leathery, salad dressing, burnt lemon peel, grapefruit, windex. Flavor is tart, lemon, grapefruit, wood pulp, vinegar, champagne grapes, a little wet cork. Full bodied, tart, acidic finish.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Review #1800. Quite the milestone...

Thanks to Adam for sharing this wale!

Pours a finger of white head. Very carbonated for how old it is. A little sediment in my glass. Color is a vibrant golden orange. A light haze.

Aroma: Musty, old basement. Funky and very sour. Lemon acidicness. Astringent. Smell is amazing. Very fruity. Muskmelon. It really doesn't smell like it is 22 years old.

Taste: Spot on amazing. A perfect amount of sour and tartness. Green apples and lemon citrus with old basement funk. A little bit of vinegar. Some cobweb and basement musk. It tastes like old. Oaky with a little bit of spice and malt.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart, but clean. Lighter bodied with a great amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

Overall, this was an incredible beer. It tastes a lot younger than 22 years old. It is phenomenal. This bottle must have been cellared perfectly. One of the best beers I have had in this style. I could easily drink a lot of this,

3.41/5  rDev -19.6%

hazy gold, foamy milky white head. Old metallic nose, rindy, green construction smell similar to Brouwsel 20 at this point but worse. Flavor is less old, slightly green and moldy but more lambic, light acetic through finish, dusty armoire, bit of cotton candy, no grapes, low carbonation. Thin, lightly hot. Decent, the flavor considerably better than the nose, but no way I'd dive to the ocean floor and break open Long John Silver's treasure chest where these bottles are locked away, let alone trade a whale for it.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

750mL shared by jbeatty on RB. The cork pops out fairly easily but is soaked to the core and shriveling inside. Probably will not be holding up for too much longer. 1/3 of the cork breaks off upon opening and is deserted inside the bottle and refuses to come out. Who cares, we pour anyway for 10 people at Sour Epic Part 2.

Ap- hazy, bright golden with a medium, tight, white head. Looking good. Small yeast particulate and a piece or two of cork floaties.

N- Really crazy. Not necessarily good or bad. Big funk, sweaty arm pits, yellow apples, mild cider character, other oddities like flashes of white sushi vinegar. Pretty crazy to mull over.

T- Tart lemon and even some sugary yellow apple and cider character. Very sharp lemon acidity and fairly one dimensional. But easily is more integrated than the nose and is quite enjoyable. I savored about three different pours for at least 30 minutes trying to decipher what was going on.

P- tart, acidic, citric. No acetic flaws. Vinegar character flashes in the nose but no acetobacter character in taste profile thankfully.

Overall quite interesting, much better than expected at this age. No druiven geuze character anymore and no white grapes to speak of. But aesthetically this has held up well. More of a novelty to try and I'm thankful for the experience.

4.76/5  rDev +12.3%

This was an experience! Thanks, first of all...to Adam Harbaugh for the share @ Darkness Day 2011. Bottle-share started in the bushes away from the crowd, like a secret society(haha)! Label was pretty rough, as expected...cap was semi rusting. Removing the cork was a headache, as expected. It broke into 3 pieces. First section came out pretty easy, as the second section was punctured, the gushing began! Finally, after struggling for a few minutes with the rest of the cork, and gushing slowly the entire time...we finally just pushed what was left of the cork down into the bottle! From a distance, lambic aroma was strong! Not to be found up close...

Aroma was amazing! Alright, let me explain. I didn't quite know what to expect for a 22 year old gueuze. When I got hit hard with a wave of mildew/wet old cellar...all I could think was, "duh"! What else should I expect with this kind of age. Through the mildew, a very faint lambic funk was hiding. The pour, by the way...was an orangish golden color. Very lively, and huge white fizzy head.

Flavor: Fantastic gueuze! I can't believe a lambic that smells this old...could taste so fresh! Age was noticeable, but despite other reviews, this bottle had plenty of life left! The carbonation was super sharp, loads of wood and gueuze tart/funk. Not watery or too aged IMO. Our group took awe at how delicious and awesome this experience was.

I would revisit this Cantillon again for sure! Of course, most know that there aren't a ton of bottles left out there. But this gives me assurance that my aging Cantillons have the chance to be this fantastic 10, 20+ years from now! Despite the aroma being the only low'er score here, this was nearly a perfect lambic!

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle. Holy crap, I have never seen a 22 year old bottle, but here it is! 1989 vintage. Very generously shared by Adam. The cork gives a little trouble but finally relents and lets us sample this aged rarity. The carbonation is amazing given its age, light and lively as it is poured into a glass. A little hazy but pours an amber yellow orange color with a off white head. Lemon, pear, oak, slight barnyard, musky, and danky all in a good way. This thing smells old and I love it. The taste is very similiar to the aroma with a sour tart lemon flavor mixed with the aged funkiness. Oaky and earthy as well. Well depending on what you are used to this could go either way, love it or hate it, I happen to love it and would drink this all the time if it were available.

Cantillon Brabantiae from Brasserie Cantillon