Cantillon Iris | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon IrisCantillon Iris

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Unblended

From the brewery's website: "Although it is a spontaneous fermentation beer, the Iris is very different from the Lambic. The amber colour and the bitter and slightly caramelized taste make it a complex beer."

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 12-05-2002

#338

Ratings: 2,104 |  Reviews: 504

2001.
Pours to a lightly foggy amber cherry juice, stacked with a snowy, alpine peak.
Perfumed of brushed suede, cedar, spanish moss, lime leaves, and rose petals. Oh, and oak-rested urine too.
A brief bicuit maltiness splashes across the mouth, ceded immediately by a cutting lime juice sourness. This is as tart as any of Cantillon's "real" lambics, as it serves as a canvas for all that is about to unfold. Peach skins and pear, and pinot gris, cherry stones, bile, and rusted tin. Lilacs and bleu cheese. Turns woodier on the close, with moss-filmed fallen maple, dry cedar, and screeching oak.
Bountifully carbonated, but far from spritzy. This is a down pillow. Soft, supple, and form fitting in the mouth. Despite its moments of aggression and sharpness, this is a comfortable sip..err..gulp.
Another jewel in the Cantillon crown. Perhaps my favorite thus far.

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%

Shared this bottle with orbitalr0x in Chicago at the Map Room. We had to "settle" for this one since they were out of the Vigneronne. Bastards. This beer poured a hazy amber color with a healthy 3 finger head that fell to coat the beer generously. Upon smelling it, I was taken back, even thought I had this beer once before. Sour and fruity notes hit me first, followed with tart and acidic barnyard funkyness kicking me in the face directly afterwards. Wow. The flavor is something that has to be experienced to understand. Immediate sourness and acidic flavors assaulted my tongue. This was as close to making me pucker as a beer can without making me actually do it. Damn, this beer is fine. The feel was moderate with a slight carbonation to keep it lively on the tongue. The flavors and aroma on this one is so far beyond the norm, that it can be nothing but greatness. I had to hide from one of my wife's friends, as she kept stealing drinks from my glass. I had to tell her where she could find a bottle for herself at home.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

I shared this bottle last night with kmpitz2 at The Map Room. The Iris evacuated the bottle with a deep golden color and a big, bubbly three finger head. Tempting aromas of vinegar acidity, barnyard funkiness, hints of citrus/floral and a bit of dirty sweat socks thrown in for good measure. Wonderfully unique and tempting.

Beautiful sour acidic puckering opening with slight floral notes and hints of lemon. Super funky, each sip brings something new. Dirty hay and barnyard stable weaves in and out and keeps me guessing....possibly some green olives that have gone bad? An extremely challenging and rewarding lambic...simply wonderful.

Smooth, crisp mouthfeel with small bubbly carbonation. This is so easy to drink and each sip just leaves me wanting more and more. Gueuze and lambic are becoming some of my favorite styles and Cantillon has blown me away so far...I highly recommend Iris and I look forward to trying more of their beers.

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, cork stamped with “Brasserie Cantillon Bruxelles Botteld (sic) in 2.004” with a circled 1 below the date.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy hazy golden yellow. In a Cantillon Gueuze glass, it develops a medium sized head that quickly collapses. In a flute, a medium sized head develops that sticks around a while as a constant flow of small bubbles of carbonation feed it.

Aroma: Sour, farmyard, harsh overlying some apples, some malt.

Flavor: According to Cantillon’s web site, this beer has no wheat, and is hopped much more than their lambics. I don’t really note hops in this brew, but the predominant character is the sourness of lambics, but this is much softer, rounder than the Cantillon gueze. Dry, ok, tart is the only way to describe it.

Mouthfeel: Champagne-like, but heavier. The dryness definitely causes a pucker that asks to be paired with some cheese or other tasty foodstuffs. Filling mouth, not rich in the way of many big full beers, but there’s enough substance to be interesting.

Drinkability: I could drink this a lot, but as with all of this style of beer, it is an occasional beer for me.

Overall: I think I like this better than the gueuze- it has very similar characteristics (at least to my palate, which still has a lot to learn), but it isn’t quite as overpowering and over the top in sourness and musty farmyard aromas/flavors.

3.16/5  rDev -27.5%

Appearance: Orange color with a slightly fizzy white head. Not as bubbly as I expected.

Smell: Tart, sour, and rotten. I have had blended lambics before but never an unblended. Wow, I finally smell what I have heard so much about. Very different, almost a turn off but intreiging.

Taste: Sweet at first then sour, then very sour, and then very dry. Almost like a wine. It was better once I got used to it.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel was good but it was kinda hard to pay much attention to because of the tartness of the actual brew.

Overall a very different beer, something that you have to get used to. I would not be able to drink much of this.

3.62/5  rDev -17%

Lambics are an enigma to me…so much wildness and unrestrained flavors. This beer was no exception. I’ve been sitting on a bottle (cork says it’s from 2001), and finally gave it a try. It’s a truly unique brew. The cork, which was quite damp through half of its volume, was extruded with a loud “Pop”. The brew is a hazy orange with a billowing white head. Aroma is a mix of deep, woody oak and musty manure. There’s plenty of lemony, vinegar-like acidity going on in the smell as well. It’s a totally un-hinged, wild aroma. The taste is solidly acidic…it crosses the line from tart to downright mouth-puckering sour. No malt is detectable through the acidity, though there is a notable oak character and bitter hop finish. The oak is not unlike that of a decent Chardonnay. Unfortunately, the sourness made the beer very difficult for me to drink. Maybe it would be a wonderful aperitif, but in anything other than small quantities, it’s a rough-sell. Extraordinarily interesting, and completely wild

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Wow, I've got a young one here, picked up at "From the Vine" in Columbus. Cork is dated 2004. Cork came out with no gushing. Pours a light orange with a minimal white head that retreats to just the sides of the glass fairly quickly. Nose is not as assertive as previous Cantillon's that I have had. A sharp fruity/citrusy aroma is well guarded by notes of cork. A slight musty smell creeps up at the end, but it remains in the background. Taste is very citric. Large hints of grapefruit are present. Finish is very tart and cutting. Musty flavors are only found in the middle as the finish reminds me a little of lime concentrate, pretty acidic as well. Very unique. I'd like to try this after cellaring for a few years. Out of all the Cantillon's I've had, this is easily the most accessible. A quality beer for sure, but if I had to choose one brand it would be their Gueuze.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cork dated 2001 vintage. Pours a glowing orangey-gold color with a frothy off-white colored head. Rich barnyard funk with a bit of honey, oak barrel and pale malts in the aroma. Initially tart, but a honeyed sweetness does shine through, sometimes reminiscent of sour apricot or peach. Ooh, there's some hops in there, too, they interact with the tartness very nicely. Oak barrel aging is evident in the taste, as well. Delicate carbonation is good for this ale. Probably one of the best lambics I've tried.

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled 15JUN2004. Many, many thanks to Beersignal for letting me participate in the tasting of this very rare find.

Peachy orange, clearer than I expected. The small white head dissapeared rapidly.

The minute I squeezed my nose in the tasting glass I knew I was about to experience something special. This Beer has enormous complexity. A citrus fruit start, than a very pepermint freshness, some green apple, pear, and a smell I could only compare to those leather tobacco pouches cowboys used to have on their belts! After a while it went back to citrus and started all over again, absolutely fantastic stuff!

The first sip sucks out your saliva glands from around your tongue and vanishes with them, not making any promises on their safe return. After a few more, I very faintly detected a nanosecond's worth of sweetness, then Bam! The great sourness takes command, scrambles your tastebuds with oak, grapefruit, and a distinguishable hop bitterness, leaving a very dry, crisp mouthfeel.

We debated somewhat on the drinkability, and pondered if we could spend a whole evening drinking nothing but this amazing brew. I'm definately up for it! Too bad this stuff is so hard to find.

4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Rarely do you get to experience such craftsmanship in this writer's backyard as I did tonight with the Cantillon Iris. Accompanied by fellow BA, Goldorak, and another beer head I discovered what it means to master an artform.

The beer poured a stunning and bright amber peach colour with generous but very ephemeral foam. Very true to the Cantillon name.

The nose was generously greeted with young fruits (green and crab apples grapefruits and mandarine oranges, to name a few) strong hints of peppery mint tea and fresh cigar tobacco leaves near the back. The apples resurfaced often throughout the experience.

Tastes were magnificent and presented through a sparse bead. Very dry but firm, this beer boasted fruits and vanilla, oak and solidly set touches of hops all through a powerful and omnipresent acidity. The final was all about dryness derived from hops and the acidic character of this near perfect beer.

This brew displays incomparable aromatic complexity, along with intense flavours of orchard and citrus fruits buttressed by notes of wood and spices. A quenching and long finish round out the experience and render this drinker finally speechless.

Memorable!

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Green 750 ml bottle. Corked, capped, & neck wrapped in heavy black foil. Cork indicates that it was bottled in 2002.

Bright, clear, medium copper hue. Topped by a wonderful white cap of foam which holds for a short time before collapsing into a thin halo. Thin streams of carbonation are visible.

This is the real deal! Musty, earthy, barnyardy notes start off the nose. These are quickly followed by strong acidic aromas.

Impressive. Plenty of funky, earthy type flavours. A slight hint of apples. Tons of oak. Acidic, lemony notes lead to a dry, dry finish. Sour, tart, & very complex. Lively, & actually quite refreshing. Light / medium bodied with gentle carbonation.

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

This brew, merely my third from Cantillon, was used to christen my new Lion tulip-style glass, and it stood in quite well!
Rich orange appearance, enormous head on her, a flush, full bristling bundle, gracefully descending in size.
Aroma, sourness, yet balanced, overall citric, very ...damn, ...hard to pigeonhole, for certain, a great match, very lemon and orange-dominated. loads of lambic funk, the bass line beckons Bootsy...
Down the mouth, oooh! sour! let's put the pen down 'til i spend more time with her, ...yup, sour, but tasty, too!
Huge flavor, big presence on the palate, long, lingering finish,
ooo!
ooo!ooo, ooo, oooo!!!
wince, shudder, ...smile!
Only 1/3 of the 750ml is gone? got more to enjoy, hurrah!
A delight for lamibic-geeks only and an occasional treat for weird beer-freaks like yours truly...such an unusual ale, a rare treat, another horse-blanket treasure from the barnyard geniuses!

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cantillon Iris was served from a corked (2001), capped, and foiled 750ml bottle. In a chalice, this beautiful beer was a brilliant and shiny copper color, and was topped by an everlasting, fine, and creamy off-white head that left sheets of luxurious lacing wherever it touched. The carbonation was varied and fascinating, consisting of slower small streamers, and large speeding bubbles that would hit the surface with such force they could be seen making bumps in the head from above. The nose presented an aggressive sourness with a soft musty grapefruit component followed by herbal juniper berry and powdery floral perfumy notes. On the palate, an up-front oaky dry sourness with an assertive raw lemon accent explodes then gains a tannic bitterness before slowly dropping off, leaving lingering herbal/grassy earthen lemony aftertastes. The body is very smooth, slick, and richly full, serving to counter and balance the dry oaken sourness. The vigorous carbonation matched well with the flavors and character of this lambic. I found this beautiful all-malt lambic to be wonderfully aromatic, robustly flavorful, and a pleasure to drink.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours to a deep copper-orange color with a three fingers off-white head. The aroma is very fragrant; floral, herbal, slightly phenolic, fresh cut hay, and acidic. The flavor is sour and tart the whole way through with the “horse blanket” flavors throughout as well. It is a light-bodied beer that I really enjoyed. I would definitely get this one again.

Sampled 12/20/03

Wild-fermented. Aged in oak three years, and after sampling my "spontaneous" first reaction was: Why?? But then my understanding took over -- an admitted novice to the style by first-hand sensory experience, but with a knowledge and desire to open up to the Gueuze and Gueuze-styled beers. Otherwise, without any understanding of what is going on here... well, just try to feed the stuff to your typical macro-drinker who "knows" what he/she likes in a beer. This would then hardly classify as beer, if not barnyard piss...

This is Gueuze-styled in that it is brewed with 100% barley malt for one (no wheat); the oak-aging process is also extra-style.

Its appearance was a cloudy orange, not too dark but with a light amber hue. Its smell was boldly, boldly sour, akin to sniffing a package of sweet-tarts. Hugely bitter, mouth-puckering sourness predominates each and every sip, first to last. Amazing. Even against a young, unblended Gueuze, this offering is way to the extreme IMO. Two other components, it think, contribute to its intensity: pretty high carbonation acts as a conduit for its natural, wild acidity (microflora acting to the max). To be honest, my drinking buddy and myself had difficulty finishing this (yet we did - too expensive and we are too proud not to in each other's company though you should've heard our laughing and puzzled/puckering speech; perhaps a bit too intense/extreme for upstarts to the style).

Related notes: My bottle was dated 2002; I sampled in March 2004. Most definitely not a "pedestrian" beer.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Paid $15 for a rather dusty bottle which turned out to be a Y2K vintage. Had a slightly hazy light peach color with a creamy white head that fizzled down quickly.
The nose had a mild fruity sweetness mingled with a herbal note. A definite lemon citrus and damp cellar mustiness also lingered around the edges. The taste was initially sweet with a bit of fruit and some earthy malt. Then came that familiar jaw-cramping sourness and tongue-prickling acidity. The eyes tear up a bit and the tongue sizzles. The hops were subservient and hardly noticeable to the tart, stinging bite. The feel was light, crisp and very dry in the finish.
Overall: I wish I had started investigating lambics a while ago as I like nearly all I've tried, including Iris. Definitely worth trying out.

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottled 2002, Sampled February 2004
This beer pours a hazy amber-copper color, which is in stark contrast to the typical light gold color of a traditional Gueuze. It is reasonably well carbonated. The carbonation creates an off white head that is persistent but only 1/4 inch in my tulip glass. Wow, the aroma has as the strongest element definite notes of cat-piss, surely the most I have ever experienced in a Lambic beer. Other aromas of musty barns and of course some sour notes as well.

Upon my first taste I notes that there is lots of hop character for a Lambic type beer, which mixes quite interestingly with the traditional Lambic character. Don't get me wrong, the hop character is fairly subdued but it is here, even after 3 years of aging in the cask. This beer is of course sour (what else would you expect from a Cantillon product), with notes of citrus (a lemon & grapefruit mix) as well as a hint of vinegar. The barnyard musty-leather Brettanomyces character is quite prevalent in this bottle. This concoction showcases what this fickle funky yeast can do. This beer is quite fruity as well, what comes to mind as an apt description for this fruitiness is that of sour apples.

The lack of wheat in this beer seems to make this beer a bit fuller/ richer in the mouth than a typical Lambic product. This beer is not overly hard either, especially for a Cantillon Lambic. This was a wonderful first beer on a Superbowl Sunday afternoon. It paired wonderfully with the aged sharp cheddar, prosciutto, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and rustic bread. Cantillon definitely delivered once more with this beer. This is a world class beer, whose only flaw, given the specialty designation on this beer, is that perhaps it is not quite distinctive enough from a traditional Lambic, but how can I really complain since I do love Lambic.

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%

Slightly hazy deep orangish gold. Huge raspy off-white head settles to a persistent 1/4" cap that jumps up each time the glass is swirled.

Incredible nose. Nose as sour as most Cantillon, and definitely richer. Slightest hint of barnyard over the rich, but controlled maltiness. Tons of warm spicy yeastiness to it - touch of cardomum and clove. Really unique - even for Cantillon.

Not as acidic as expected on the palate, but its the acidity that and spices that dominate. The malt is an important supporting player, but its definitely not the lead. Long by normal beer standards, but not for a Cantillon. Excellent earthiness comes out with food. Really quite excellent.

Typically beautiful soft bottle-conditioned Cantillon mouthfeel. Incredibly drinkable and an outstanding beer with food.

When I told MJR that I had not had this Cantillon, but it was in the tasting queue, he said that he thought it the most easily accessible of the main Cantillon bottlings for those lacking experience with them, and I have to whole-heartedly agree. If you want to taste Cantillon start here. Its definitely less challenging than some of the other offerings as to acidity and funk, but its on par in quality and a hell of a beer by any standard. Simply another awesome beer from Cantillon. 2001 bottling.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Color is a rusty deep golden clouded yellow, tall fluffy white head bursts up quickly becoming big bubbley and fizzy. Then lays flat to leave a fizzy collar. Lots of thin webby lacing. Aroma is pungently strong, albiet a bit more pleasing then the vulgarly pleasing Vigneronne. This has a steady waft of the funky horse blanket - barnyard thing, without the canned tuna and arrogance that the Vigneronna has. Otherwise its nearly the same with citrusy notes of grapefruit, lime, and lemon, floral deepness with the roots and all, earthy and highly sweet. Taste is quick and tart with citrus rinds of all kinds, moslty lime and grapefruit, dry and sour puckering sweet with nice floral notes creeping in. Lots of layers to the souring tartness, musk, fresh flowers, grasses, sour candies, citric acidicness, dirt, sour, sour, sour. Whew, its packed. Full on tartness, sourness, and sweetness. Its actually not bad, it takes a few sips to get used to, but as you snap your senses around it and it warms, its pretty good. Still though, its a big time sipper with all that tongue drying, cheek puckering, lip tingling sour tartness.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

75cl bottle dated 2001.

Pour exhibits a darker-than-usual, amber-orange pale ale hue. Different for Cantillon, but this is, to them, not a "true" lambic as it's brewed with 50% malted barley rather than the 35% unmalted wheat required of traditional lambic. Alas....

Nose features earthy, barnyard notes in addition to a touch of oak and stone that open up around mid-bottle. Deep, aromatic whaffs keep the nose lively and inviting throughout.

Lemon and grapefruit flesh, lime rind, flinty minerality and oaky notes are accompanied by the characteristically bracing Cantillon acidity that's omnipresent in this brew. The fresh hop character appears, too, imparting some earthy, but not bitter flavors. While it's not "lambic," this rendering is quite indicative of Oude Gueuze.

Lively mouthfeel with refreshing qualities and penetrating acidity keep this beer interesting, and in turn, highly drinkable. Would work quite well on a hot summer day, very slightly chilled (45-50 degrees), with a sampling of robustly flavorful cheeses. I drank this one at cellar temperature and was most pleased with the results. Another wonderful offering from Cantillon's portfolio.

3.53/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I wonder if I am just not totally bowled over by lambics...while I enjoy them, they are not getting tremendous marks, I think it could be the mouthfeel..anyway, this was a light peach when poured. Again with the barnyard/horse aroma that could be off-putting to some, I'm just always pleasantly surprised when the beer doesn't taste like it smells. A dry crisp fruityness when tasted. The carbonation is not overwhelming. While not overwhelmingly tart, I can see that this would not be as much as a session beer as others. An interesting beer to drink and enjoy, maybe not one to drink a lot of at one setting. Pat

2.16/5  rDev -50.5%

This is quite a shocker. Pour vinigar on a tatami mat and lick it and you will know what this beer tastes like. This was not even a novelty it was just sour (can be good) and bitter (usually a good thing), but together it foul. I kept looking for redeming qualities, but there are none. This is not refreshing, tasty or anything else.

Once the crown cap was removed the cork moved a quarter inch above the bottle lip on its own. This beer wants to be consumed. I was amazed at the loud pop produced when the cork was removed. 3 years in oak and its still so lively?! The beer poured with a lot more head than I expected and smelled almost like vinegar. I have to stop now and admit that this is the first true lambic I have tried, so the smell worried me a bit. Iris has a nice reddish-tan cloudy appearence. It is a color I find somehow comforting. Its first taste was not as sour as I had assumed by smell, but still very tart. It finished sharply bitter. Once the initial sour shock has passed it smells of apples and grapes. I will agree with past reviewers on the "grassy" aftertaste. I am surprised that oak is not discernible. Iris has a nice light mouthfeel - I would have liked to try this in the dead of summer. After reading the love them or hate them comments about true lambics, I am very happy to say that this beer is quite refreshing and I look forward to trying other examples of the style. My only complaint is that no one is here to share the bottle with me, but I doubt any of my friends would understand anyway.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Cork says 2000.

This lambic is actually copper in color. Gas bubbles rise quickly and steadily. Head is creamy and tan. And also long lasting. Aroma is yeasty, lemony, musty and funky. Pretty cool. The mouthpuckering quotient is pretty high for this one. (Higher than the Cantillon Gueuze I just had the other day.) Tart as hell. Acidic. Lemon Juice. Grassy. A little of that funky barnyard stuff going on. It's almost like sucking on one of those sour gobstoppers. Interesting to say the least. Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated. Maybe medium body at best. Yet again, Cantillon does not disappoint. The masters of the authentic lambic.

3.75/5  rDev -14%

Kind of strange really, very sour yeasty aroma, with hints of parsley, lemongrass and flowers. Quite sour and then bitter, with a grassy earthy flavour, complex and different. I don't think this quite worked, that green stemmy, flowery quality, didn't seem to fit alongside the sour yeastyness. Still, hardcore.

Cantillon Iris from Brasserie Cantillon