Cantillon Saint Lamvinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Everyone knows some of our best friends are wine growers from the Libourne region in France, more specifically those who make Saint Emillion and Pomerol. They respect the tradition and let their wine ferment in a natural way.

Fermentation, origin and vintage are still kept up.

Our collaboration resulted in a product uniting the best of their wine and of our beer : the Saint-Lamvinus.

The grapes, of the merlot and cabernet-franc varieties, are soaked in Bordeaux barrels containing two to three years old lambic. The beer is not blended before the bottling. The foam is caused by the addition of a liquor which starts the fermentation.

Added by truthbrew on 03-20-2003

Ratings: 2,048 |  Reviews: 479
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.78/5  rDev +7.9%

2009 bottle poured into a dyno glass and split amongst friends at Perennial before the SdB Release.

A - Cloudy off-redish pink color with a sizable white foam head that lingers. The liquid actually started permeating through the cork and was worried when I opened this. But the appearance was menacing.

S - This started with an off-putting nose, but once it warmed up a bit it started to shine. Nose include grape notes, oak, lemon and lactic. These smells did not come out until it warmed.

T - Taste is the best I have had from Cantillon so far. Tart notes that aren't overpowering which allow the merlot grapes shine. Really smooth and full of flavor for being 5 years old.

M - A little creamier and smoother than others maybe because of the age. But this has been hands down the best mouthfeel I've had from a Loon

O - Really glad I have a 2010 to visit soon and would love to try older vintages of this

4.78/5  rDev +7.9%

2011 vintage poured into a Duvel art glass.

A-Pours hazy brilliant red of shade with a tight, thin white head. Head quickly dissipates and doesn’t leave any lacing.

S-Nose is grape, oak, some band aid (this might be because I didn’t wash my glass from the last beer), lemon, and must.

T-The flavor is where Lamnivus shines. It’s balance between the lemon and grape is superb, they complement each other perfectly. In addition, Lamnivus has some nice mineral characters as well as a good amount of must.

M-Light mouthfeel, moderate acidity, prickly carbonation, and a nice enduring finish.

O-One of the best fruit lambics around, I’m hard pressed to name many I would take over this. Really wish bottles weren’t so hard to come by.

4.78/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

So here we are. I made it to review number 1000. It has been an interesting voyage to get to this point, and that number seems huge, especially in a year and a half's time. But alas I have arrived. So the question then became, what do you have for such a big number. Now you can get all crazy looking for the rarest and most sought after beers out there, however to be honest I have had a lot of them, and I decided to go for something, that while not being common, certainly isn't rare, but was something that I had wanted to try for a very long time. Being a fan of the sours, I knew this one would be a doozy, and since it is quite pricey, and not available to me locally, I felt it would make a good choice to go for the big number. A very nice, classic looking Cantillon 750ml bottle, wrapped in black foil with corked. I let this one come up just a touch above the fridge temperature before I opened it up and let it breath. Served in a brand new Terrapin glass( Thanks Ding) I felt ready to go for it.

Appearance - The pour was beautiful. A deep pinkish color, almost rose with a good amount of haze was dropped into the glass. Holding it up to a bright light really just let it shine through, the color was wonderful. A small crown of off white graced the top for just a few moments before setting down and leaving it open and bare. There was some side glass lace initially, but after that faded it was all pretty smooth and clear. The carbonation was apparent as it bubbled up toward the surface ever so gently throughout the session.

Smell - The aroma on this one was almost indescribable. It had that classic farmhouse funk to it, which naturally you expect to see from Cantillon, however there were some subtle differences between this and the others I have had. The sweet smell of grapes was percolating through on here, and as it warmed became easier and easier to pick up in the smell. It was not overpowering as the funk aroma was, but rather, just light enough to let you know there was some depth to it. Tart sour grapes stole the show, with hints of cherries and a wet hay back.

Taste - The flavor was beautiful, really these beers are more like works of art. It started out with a subtle dose of chardonnay like grapes, slightly sweet, but with the acidic touch to them. Beautiful work here, with a deep, resonant funk to it that just lingers on for what seemed like years to be honest. Subtle touches of cherries and grapes dropped in with this, really working the taste buds. As it warmed it just continued to evolve. It is so hard sometimes to try and describe that flavor, and I refuse to use the sweaty and other somewhat derogatory comments to describe it, and funk is a good thing in this case. Enormously try and tart finish just left you begging for another sip with an almost vinegar like finish to it, wow that was really damn good is the final thing running through your head.

Mouthfeel - This had one of the best feels it could have. Just a hair shy of being a medium bodied ale, the carbonation was enough to keep it very lively and the perfect balance of profile, never feeling thin, or watery, but rather just being very tight and crisp. A wonderful addition here for sure.

Drinkability - You really cannot get much better then this. The flavors were so complex, the ABV virtually non existent, lively feel, I mean what more can you ask for. Its not filling, and it keeps you engaged. I really could have had another on of these as soon as I finished the first, it was just that good.

Overall this may be my favorite of the Cantillon beers I have tried so far. It was just a touch shy of the Beatification in terms of being the funkiest, most sour thing I have ever had. I mean this was just delicious. I a, glad I was able to finally acquire a bottle of this as it was more then worth the weight. I have yet to get bored in this style and I wished more people were able to get into it. So complex and so rich, this is definitely the one to seek out. Well deserved of its reputation and something I would always pick up if I saw it!

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Nice ruby huge to a light magenta. It has micro bubbles with wispy lacing. It looks like a majestic wine cooler. If bartels and james won the lottery and went all high brow, this would be the result.

S: Huge tart notes with great strawberry, cherries, sour currants, and bitter grapes. Granny smith apple skins are there as well. This smells incredible.

T: It has a crisp raspberry tartness that mellows into a smooth sweetness like a melted fruit rollup. It has a sour finish to it that imparts an incredibly refreshing dryness. This is the best Cantillon that I have had to date and it is the best Lambic that I have ever had. The vintage helped mellow it incredibly, even if it was only 2 years. The fruits interplay with the tart notes perfectly.

M: It is incredibly light and juicy with minimal coating and chardonnay dryness that just stings and crackles in a fantastic way. The carbonation is like an army of diligent effervesence that makes sure the bitter notes are imparted with incredible efficacy. Again, just amazing balance all around.

D: This makes Consecration look like an imperial stout and Lindeman’s look like candy syrup. It is leagues above all other sours and lambics that I am familiar with. I could drink this in a boat, with a goat, green eggs and ham; etc. You could drink this with any food, at any location and it would be well suited. I feel that this could give white and red wine equal competition with pairings because it is so original and dynamic. I can’t imagine how blaeber could improve on this model but I am anxious to try.

Narrative: Vitus Tanneen had been in some sticky jams before but this time, this time certainly was noteworthy. The walls of the trash compactor closed slowly, pressing the wine refuse closer into the chamber. The aluminum walls reeked of sweet grape skins and sticky notes. If not for the impending death, this would be an almost pleasant situation. “Well Sir Knuckles, looks like we are in a PRESSING SITUATION!” His friendly companion, Sir Knuckles, was an astute howler monkey with no penchant for puns. “WREE EE EE EEEK!” Sir Knuckles gestured imposingly to a hatch covered in sticky grape residue. “Well Sir Knuckles, this is one top that I have no hesitation to pop.” Using a wine opener, Vitus deftly unsealed the hatch and emerged into the bay area sunshine. “NOT TODAY KENDAL JACKSON! NOT TODAY!” He spun and his velvet tails swung after this athletic frame with the poise of a man, a man almost killed by grapes.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

Reviewed from notes-- still trying to get caught up!

poured into a tulip. Shared by yeahnatenelson. This was an 06 vintage.

A light peachy pink color. Little head of off-white bubbles, nice legs, average spotty lace.

Smells of charred oak, red grape skin, a strange hint of cranberry pomegranate. Smells really fucking sour, and if I may sound like oreo for a second-- smells really fuckin awesome.
The taste hits all the notes I found in the nose-- very light sweetness up front before the red grapes and charred oak and vinous notes take over. This is tasty fo sho. Lots of flavor, and that charred oak note works insanely well as a counterpoint to the intense sourness.

The body is medium/full with a low carbonation level-- it isn't too low though. Just on the low level of being great. The feel has a tongue scrubbing sensation and the finish is extremely sour-- one of the most sour of the night. It pulls my cheeks in.

This beer is just really really good, and that's not just because I'm a cantillon fan-boy.
Overall-- this is impressive. I could sip on this regularly-- if only it didn't cost $40 per bottle out this way!

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

2007 bottle enjoyed on 8/4/12 at Monk's Cafe in Philly. Served in a Cantillon stem.

Pour: Cloudy deel grapefruit (maybe close to ruby) with a finger of pink fizz that dissipates quickly.

Smell: White grapes and pear command the nose, with a light barnyard funk in the background. Funk is not substantial.

Taste: Wow. White wine tartness, green apples, pear. All the fruit provides a fantastic crisp tartness. Barnyard funk is there but again, not strong. Little bit of tart cherry in the back. Tart pear and grape coats the palate.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is fantastic still. Very refreshing and I could drink this all day.

Overall: An amazing treat. Fantastically delicious. I hope to get a bottle of this one day for sure.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

750 ml bottle bought from the brewery. Cork said "bottled in 2007"

Poured a slightly hazy purpley red. It's a light plum color with a thin thin ring of white bubbles that doesn't hang around too long.

Aromas is very vinous, full of loads of berries and new oak. Funky, sour, but also some sweetness. Blueberry, raspberry, some cranberry, Acai. Clay earth. Red Wine Vinegar. Really great nose.

Taste is tart. The lambic taste really expresses itself here, where as on the nose it is much more wine like. Pucker inducing at times, but very refreshing...super dry on the finish. Barnyardy and funky.

Super complex and amazing beer. I wish we had brought back a few more bottles of this.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

750ml bottle of the 05 vintage into a Weyerbacher tulip. Enormous thanks are due to Matthew for being gracious enough to share this, one of my biggest wants.

A: Milky, muddy magenta. One finger of fine, frothy, light purple foam. Hideous by any normal standards, and I wouldn't have it any other way. This looks epic.

S: Yup, that's a Cantillon, and yup, I love it. Barnyard, mustardseed, lemon, and cobwebs. Underneath the distinctive sour funk likes a subtle but distinct aroma of grape - skin, seed, meat and all. Perfect.

T: So sour, so good Funk, lemon, mustard, and tannic grape. Filthily funky, and absolutely delicious.

M: Medium body, high carbonation. Perfect.

D: Forever and ever.

Notes: This is by far my favorite Cantillon to date, better even than the justifiably vaunted Blåbær. The fruit complements the funk perfectly, providing a fantastic layer of complexity underneath the always-fanstastic (and, at 6 years old, intense) house sourness. I think I'm in love.

On a slightly unrelated note, this beer was made all the more desirable by the fact that my sampling of it coincided with the spectacle of my friend attempting to shotgun a 32oz can of Cold Spring Moonlight. If there had been a can of St Lamvinus as well, I may just have joined him in the endeavor...

Cheers!

4.76/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.76/5  rDev +7.4%

Inexplicably poured ice cold into a wine glass at Long Bar. Ruby. Slight head which dissipates quickly. Beer is somewhat flat. Mild but rich & complex aroma. Tart. Slight malt flavor. Grape and sour cherry, black cherry, and sweet cherry fruitiness. Aromatic vinegar notes. Higher alcohols? Dry finish. Some grape-skin astringency. Wine-like. This 6% alcohol beer is more satisfying and interesting than beers twice that strong.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus from Brasserie Cantillon