Cantillon Saint Lamvinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Saint LamvinusCantillon Saint Lamvinus

Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Everyone knows some of our best friends are wine growers from the Libourne region in France, more specifically those who make Saint Emillion and Pomerol. They respect the tradition and let their wine ferment in a natural way.

Fermentation, origin and vintage are still kept up.

Our collaboration resulted in a product uniting the best of their wine and of our beer : the Saint-Lamvinus.

The grapes, of the merlot and cabernet-franc varieties, are soaked in Bordeaux barrels containing two to three years old lambic. The beer is not blended before the bottling. The foam is caused by the addition of a liquor which starts the fermentation.

Added by truthbrew on 03-20-2003

Reviews: 474 | Ratings: 1,995
4.57/5  rDev +3.2%

Decided to pull this bottle out on Saturday night and share it with a few friends. Cantillon has been an obsession of mine since doing the brewery tour last fall, and Saint Lamvinus was perhaps my most anticipated offering by them, as I was intrigued by how the merlot grapes would be integrated into the lambic.

2008 vintage.

Pours a light ruby with a small white head that soon fizzled away to a fine film, leaving a few spots of lace clinging to the side of the glass. Unmistakably Cantillon in the nose, this delivers musty cobwebs, freshly squeezed lemon juice, tannic red wine and damp oak. Quite complex, deep, and a pleasure to nose.

This is far milder in its sourness than most Cantillons - either my palate has become desensitised or this is one of their most approachable brews. What really marks it out, though, is its incredible smoothness. All the elements of the flavour are perfectly integrated and married to a great body. Musty funk leads off, before giving way to juicy big red wine notes, a spicy woodiness, and finally a fresh lemon juice finish, which both quenches and dries.

Undeniably a world class beer, but not my favourite from Cantillon. Its really a testament to the quality of a brewery when they can brew something of such excellence yet you can still think of several beers they do better! Obviously this is a must-try for all lovers of lambic, and would be an interesting one to try for wine drinkers too.

This bottle was kindly sent to me by Pier-Luc - thanks for the great hookup on the Cantillon!

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2005 vintage poured into a tulip glass

Pours a light purple red with a soft white one inch head. That quickly receeds into a lace. Light grape smell infront of a musky oak. Deep funk. grape is much more noticable in the taste. Soft, but still present. Mouthfeel is a soft acidity with a strong sour backbone. Definitely glad i got to try this one and will be on the look out for some more.

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle. Squishy cork and intense funk escaping the bottle got to me, I let it air out about an hour before pouring. Beautiful red/purple pour with a pinkish white head. After the first big whiffs of the classic lambic sweat and barnyard aromas, I pickup some distinctly winey aromas, lots of grapes, dried cranberries and a bit of oak. Taste is still very lambic like with some earth and a grape/wine finale. Absolutely fantastic palate, this beer demands to be drunk. As I drink, the strong sour aromas and taste fade out and make way for all the fruitiness this beer possesses.

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to Sigurd for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 750ml bottle that was gross around the foil. I think this is normal with Cantillon. Pours a reddish-pink with no head.

S- Funky! I get definite barnyard and horsey nose from this. I also get grapes. Odd but interesting.

T- Really nice lambic. Some definite lacto and pedio in this. There is some bretty character in the background though. You get the grape fairly strong. Not as sours as others but medium sour.

M- Higher carbonation which is right for this style of beer. Thinner mouthfeel.

D- I like this beer a lot. Not overly sour and quite drinkable. Really nice lambic from Cantillon.

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

2 oz. bottle pour into a wine taster at the Bruery Provisions on November 7th, 2011. #4 of a 5-bottle Cantillon flight.

A - Profoundly unique coloration here. A blend of deep blood-red and accenting purple hues. Low carbonation, head, retention, and lacing. It looks like a solid red wine blend but with more character.

S - Wow, far more funk than I anticipated. Thick barnyard mud. Manure. Wet hay and grass. Behind the huge brett layers are wine complexities. Red grapes, oak, almost a dark fruit component.

T - Love it. Red grape sweetness blended with a vinous note at the front, immediately followed by puckering sourness. Great depth throughout the palate. Dry finish is more than adequate here. I sense a bit of warming in the back of my throat.

M - Light-medium body. Average carbonation. I'm finding Cantillon to be pretty damn consistent with feel.

D - This beer has a sense of mystique to me. I know that I didn't pick up everything in that glass, but what I did grab I thoroughly enjoyed and found this to be as unique as anything I've yet encountered. Great stuff, would actively seek this one out again.

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

I have had this before on tap but this 2006 bottle was an incredible sour and worlds beyond the draft experience. I split this among three snifters. Yes you want to share this one. It had a light white bubbly head that disappeared fast and left a thin ring of bubbles around the glass. The color of the beer was a beautiful reddish peach in color. I expect this was from the age because my tap pour was much more burgundy. There was definite signs of barrel ageing to the appearance as well

The aroma was that incredible unmistakable Cantillon funk. The first time you smell it you will never forget it. To say this brew was sour would be understating yourself . This is one of those sour patch kid type brews but with out any sugar to balance it . I had this while smoking a fine cigar and the flavor just cut and cleansed the mouth at every sip. It was not to say so sour that it came off a vinegar but it was more like eating a hand full of sour grapes or a tart piece of fruit. The carbonation and the mouthfeel reminded me of a fine champagne.

This is a great brew I loved it but I do think it takes time to appreciate a sour and the age of the bottle greatly changed the flavors from the glass that I had fresh also at $35.00 a bottle its not cheep. It was a great experience and one I will love to have again but not something I expect every day. Another hint is you have to split this bottle with someone who will appreciate it. There is no way I could drink one bottle myself one glass was enough at a sitting

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a chimay goblet from a 750ml bottle.

Pours a red wine colour due to merlot grapes, and a lovely pink head forms.

Smells tart, very grape/wine like.

Tastes like a lambic, with the characteristic sourness, yet the addition of the merlot grapes adds a tartness to the flavour, making it positively lip smacking.

Overall a delightful drink, crisp, tart and sour, perfect with a tomato spaghetti dish.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 750ml served into a Crooked Stave snifter on 7/4/13

Appearance: Looks like a framboise. Appearance could not be better from my eyes. Ruby/pink hue amazing color with decent amount of carbonation. Appearance was my fav part of this, but I need to age the other '12 for 3-4 years to max out the taste.

Smell: Grapes, slight acidity detected. Barnyard funk. Hay, really deep smell to this one. Had Blabaer yesterday, and I can tell this beer is going to be a contender.

Taste: Lacing draws into your mouth followed by merlot grapes, a lot of earthy qualities to this beer.

Mouthfeel: First thing noticed was the carb lacing, followed with the smoothness of this beer. Very enjoyable. The presence of the lacing definitely plays a factor in '12 bottle.

Overall: I am really enjoying this one. As far as Cantillon, Saint Lam and Blabaer now are past Fou Foune for me. Saint Lam is artfully crafted, even more than Blabaer IMO. The balance of this lambic is intense. Opened DDG today too, and Saint Lam is more enjoyable by far for me. Can't wait to open the '08 for my brother's 40th!!!

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at Capone's in Norristown. Considering I wrote the descriptions for the tap list last week, I should hope that people won't mind my notes looking similar to the brief descriptions seen in the restaurant. In any case...
Appears a ruby reddish toned pink with a small, bubbly head that quickly fades into nothing. No lacing is left and the spider legs are very faint when tilting the glass and brought back to center.
Smell is of tart, sweet raspberries, barnyard funk, rubber, wildness, light horseblanket, and oak.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with vinuous notes and oaky vanilla pushing through the raspberries and wild funk.
Mouthfeel is tart, medium bodied, vinuous, sweet & tart, dry, slightly acidic but mellow.

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at Church Key last night. Fucking expensive at $16 for a 10oz glass($13+$1.50 tax+$1.50 tip), but it was worth it.

The pour is great, a pretty reddish pink with a thick white head that recedes to a collar, leaving no lace. The nose is just outstanding. Plenty of vinous character with the red wine grapes being fresh and vibrant. Apart from the vinous character, the grapes also impart a faint cocoa/tobacco character to the nose. The lambic base is equally impressive with a musty aroma, some funk and a pronounced sourness. Funk is quite restrained.
The palate quite vinous with the grapes lending a lot of flavor and depth. The sourness is immediately apparent, with the acidity working really well with the grape. The funk character is rather low, just mildly musty, though I suspect that the fruit is obfuscating just how much funk is present. Drying and mildly tannic on the finish with a clean sourness and lingering vinous character, this is exceptional stuff.

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle at 3 penny taproom to hfs sniffer

A: a red plum color that I can best describe as Scarlett with a thin White lacing it is semi cloudy but not near opaque with no floaters

S:it's cleaner then I expected it to smell not a whole lot of funk though its there the grape must definitely comes out a very balanced smell

T:wow this is where this bee really takes the cake it is sweet sour and tart up front there is lot of fruit flavor of grapes and green apple it lasts all throughout the finish which is also very sweet

M: smooth and crisp goes down very easily lots of sweet but not overpowering the bubblyiness makes this really drinkable

O: probably the best sour I've ever had a balance d great sour/tart flavor with fruit grape and a crisp bubbly really drinkable feel I understand why cantillon is number one

4.6/5  rDev +3.8%

I had previously tried this beer in bottle a year or so ago. Now on tap. The beer was served with no head to speak of but with a vibrant red hazy body. The nose was very Cantillon as expected. Nice and earthy with a real vinous quality to it. As if the nose was not enough, the taste gives you even more. There is a sweet but yet very sour, barny punch to this beer. It all works out very well if you are a fan of lambics and very sour ones for that matter. Just really really tastey and pleasing to the taste buds.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle at Churchkey DC into a snifter glass.

Deep solid cherry colored body, orb glowing, with a little hint of pink throughout. Slight pink collar and thin ring presented. Looks like a jewel.

Fantastic bouquet on the beer. Great notes of light sweetness of cherry, bright funk and dry peppery action. Good chewy sense of malt (wheat?), subtle and balanced, with a nice effervescent and clean quality. This looks like something good.

Palate comes with a great champagne crispness but a decent malt depth to carry forward. Carbonated pepper and mild sourness. Tart fruit action of red raspberry and cherry, with subtle aromatics. Tastes like dusted funky fruit in a bowl, and champagne.

Overall a subtle yeast funk character and chewy texture to match with floating funky red fruit in a champagne glass. But it's beer. It's a winner and one of the most enjoyable Cantillon beers I've had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A huge thanks to Dyan for sending me this one awhile back. I'd been holding on to it and decided a tasting over the weekend was the time to open it.

A: The pour is a murky reddish-purple color with a minimal rose colored head.

S: A fantastic aroma of grapes and must along with a wonderful acidity and yeasty barnyard funk character.

T: The flavor is similarly fantastic with plenty of lactic acidity to go along with sweet and sour grapes. The oak and Brett offer up some nice tannins and funk as well.

M: The beer is mildly carbonated with a dry finish and a medium body.

D: Possibly the best Cantillon beer I've had to date (yes, even better than Blabaer and Crianza). I'd pick up another one of these any day!

Drank from a corked and capped 1 pt. 9.4 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a stemmed wine glass
Bottled: 25OCT06

Absolutely gorgeous appearance. Definitely one of the prettiest beer I have ever laid eyes on. The crystal clear, garnet-hued liquid was capped by a bubbly, bright white head that quickly fizzled to a clingy ring of froth.

The aroma was quite unique, yet still true to the style. Funk and must dominated the nose. Super complex and intriguing. Grape-y with sweet/tart, vinous notes. Oaky, leathery and slightly sour.

The taste was exceptionally smooth and graceful. Overall, it was very similar to the aroma, except perhaps more tart. Musty and cellar-like with lots of crisp, funky complexity. Vinous and slightly fruity. Earthy, muscat grapes would be my best guess for the grape variety used to flavor this lambic (although this was not the case). Oaky and woody. Lemon notes appeared in the dry, tannic, somewhat acidic finish. As the beer warmed, the funk seemed to intensify.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with crisp, lively effervescence. Creamy and smooth on the palate.

Although this beer retails for upwards of $35 a bottle, it is worth every penny. The wine comparisons are obvious. However, to the best of my knowledge, no $35 bottle of wine displays the complexity or the elegance of Saint Lamvinus. Every beer aficionado should have the opportunity to sample this at least once in their lifetime.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Body color is a translucent brownish garnet, pours with a good head that quickly dissipates to a ring. No lacing.

Nose is classic Cantillon notes of old wood, spice, brett band-aid, fruit, and other funk.

Tastes deliciously sour with tart red grapes, green apples and lemon with a wheat malt backbone and malt sugar balance. This one has been aged 4 years since it was bottled in 2008, so it may have lost some fresh grape taste, but it is still tasting delightfully sour and grapey. Finishes dry and lightly spicy with wood and grape tannins.

Body is light and carbonation soon evaporates, providing a flat tart mouthfeel typical of lambics.

Overall, this is a delicious drinking lambic beer. The addition of merlot grapes crosses into wine territory and thereby invites comparison to wine. As it gets flat in the glass, it starts to look like a rosé wine. But the main impression I get is the strong presence of brett, considered an infection by wine makers, but welcomed by lambic makers. No place to sort all that out here, but this is an excellent complex sour beer to sip while pondering the commonalities and differences between lambic beers and wine.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Reviewed from my notes. Review based upon two 4 ounce pours I had, each served in a tiny wine glass at Novare Res' Valentines Day beer and chocolate pairing. The beer has an opaque plum/cranberry hue. There is no head or visible carbonation. It is a beautiful looking beer. It has a great fruity, funky aroma. It is slightly champagne-like. A mildly sweet fruit flavor is the first thing I taste. Tartness kicks in as I swallow and lingers briefly. I am definitely tasting wine-like flavors (red grapes, mostly), but all in a great funk wrapper. It's delicious. It has a crisp, dry light body. The tingly funk feeling is a great substitute for the carbonation bubbles you can usually feel in beers. There is a slight mouth coat. For a sour beer, this is amazingly drinkable. It really isn't all that sour. I wish I had a bigger pour! It is definitely a sipper, but extremely enjoyable. Personally, I can't see myself ever getting tired of this beer. It is near perfect.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have been waiting to try this beer for longer than any other and I finally got my hands on it! I purchased it for 40 bucks at Downtown Wines in Somerville Massachussetts.

The painting of a branch of grapes on the label is both minimalist and surreal, very cool. There was some leakage through the cork when I popped the cap, you'd think this is a bad thing but Ive seen it before in Cantillons and the beer always tastes fine.

The pour reveals a enigmatic reddish pinkish color with a lightly pink head. The head quickly becomes a miniscule ring that emits very little lace. Streams of tiny carbonation bubbles are visible in abundance. Lambic smells burst out of the bottle with this one. Some musty damp barnyard mingles with cider and some tannins. the taste follows suit with plenty of earthy brett flavors, some cidery and sharp flavors and loads of puckering sourness. A spectacular balance comes from the expanse of fruit flavors in tow. Very ripe grape flesh, bitter grape skin and assorted berries and citrus in the background. It reminds me of a good full bodied red wine. The finish is long and complex with biting acidity melded with fruit sweetness. The mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated and somewhat viscous, something Ive noticed in many lambics.

750ml, 11/2012
Cantillon juice glass

***1200th review on BA***

A: Pours a deep purple reddish color. Initially a tight bubbles pinkish hued head. Then somewhat still.

S: Dry oak. Chalk. Vinous.

T: Dry oak. Tannic. Fruit is there. More delicate than any American wild ale on the sour flavors.

M: Lighter highly carbonated medium

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On hand pump at tnd for sour fest.

A- a small fizzle around the edges upon arrival that diminishes very quickly to a mirror finish. Beautiful glowing magenta in color with surprising clarity.

S- grape flavored fruit roll ups in a good way and a good sour and funk behind. More subtle then some I've had but very clean.

T- red grapes with lots of the must that rolls into a nice funky sour hit. Oak is mellow but lends a nice complexity to the whole. On the sweeter side with the very ripe grapes really stealing the show. There's some lemon juice in the mixed with the tartness.

M- about medium in body and very lightly carbed but its is of the hand pump and there's still a good bit of bite to it. Very tannic and dry, you can feel the grape must on the palate.

O- this is an excellent lambic and on cask its a dream. Glad to have had it this way and can't wait till the next time. Not as sour as some but very complex and at the same time very easy to enjoy even quaffable.

4.61/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2013
Appearance: pours the color of really fresh and ripe plum flesh. a finger or so of a white head with good retention and leaving behind a solid lacing. pretty hazy and almost to opaque.

Smell: spicy red wine grapes and oak barrels, fruits from cherries to plums. slight vinegar and funk

Taste: opens with red grapes with a strong and spicy red wine character, the presence of oak red wine barrels are apparent. after the initial red wine comes lots of other fruits, mostly cherry and plum. towards the end a strong funky flavor comes in and mixes with some oak.

Mouthfeel: medium. Super funky. Slight acid.

Overall: another killer sour by Cantillon. the amount of fruit flavor they get in the beers is amazing. also the funkiness is unlike any other breweries and they are the almost at the level of refreshing as berliners and goses

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delivered to the bar in a short wine glass, the flat ruby body was mainly clear. Beautiful color! Just a thin collar of white was seen at the first moment, but there was no foam beyond that. An underlying carbonation was present though, and it gently tingled on the tongue.

The aroma offered a brash nose of sweat and manure, a vivid, vinegar and vinous sour-tartness, some deeper earthiness and mineral character, and some sharp, hard, "foot-like" cheese.

The flavor was intensely tart, with all of the barnyard and sweat character of the aroma, but less intensity. The mustiness and barnyard was wrapped within a fuller, non-descript fruit tartness... suggestions of grape and cherry, perhaps from the wine barrel. Metallic and mineralish within. Initially puckering, it finishes just as dry, but short-lingering. Utterly intense!

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%

2011 vintage poured into RR tulip.

Pours dark red nearing purple with a small pink head and lots of bubbles.

Smells typical Cantillon. Some musty horseblanket with a lot of red grape sweetness.

Similar flavors. Lush red grapes with the underlying Cantillon funk profile. Very vinous qualities. A little tartness, but sourness is not extreme on this one. The fruit provides more sweet than sour.

Creamy mouthfeel with prickly carbonation.

One of my favorite Cantillon and would be a great gateway beer to convert your red wine loving friends over to our side. Very enjoyable and curious to see what some age does to this.

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%

2003 edition had at the Moan and Dove. Deep pinky brownish cherry body. Almost no head, but there’s that mysterious cloudiness I love in some bottle-conditioned beers which just seems to make the color complex. Huge aroma, very clean, balsamic, lightly farmy and surprisingly pretty sweet. Floral sweetness, dessert sauce, red wine-ish.. This defines classy. Field notes. Complex woody oak-like character. On the tongue, you really taste the grape skins out of it. Acidity level is masterfully controlled. Just the right lactic bite. It evolves into a malic fruitiness, passes through a moldy temporary state and finishes very leafy with remarkable mouth puckering properties. Cantaloup, pomegranate.. Big mouthfeel, full bodied, moderately carbonated, perfectly fitting imo and enhances global flavour deployment. Dryness hits you up and leaves a toy of an astringency with which I spent several minutes experimenting sips of water. What can I say, water tasted just sooo good after a sip of st-lamvinus. A beer that will haunt my memories for a long while. Post taste actually doesn’t last all that long, but I still found myself trying to suck out the remaining flavours out of my tongue, like struggling for the last red grape of a whole harvest. Unique. This is to sip with respect, not that it’s not drinkable.

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%

A huge thanks to Dajtai007 for my most recent taste of this. A very generous shared bottle between me and several other BA's. This is a 2009 bottle.

A: Pours a surprisingly clear, and beautifully bright garnet red color. A slightly white/pink head forms that gently rises to a finger. The foam recedes to a ring, but sticks around throughout.
S: That great funky Belgian yeast is up front and center. Funky barnyard and horse blanket is just awesome. Vinous grapes that is up front. Tart, lactic acid lingers, but it is not dominate.
T: Follows the nose. Tons of funky, horse blanket aromas. Musky, vinous grapes. Just as you think the flavor is gone, sour and acidic flavors come out that are great. Again, the sourness is never over barring. Vinous grape is the dominate flavor, with the sourness hitting much later on. I love it.
M/D: A full body that is perfectly crisp, though creamy at the same time, dry, and refreshing. Very textured. So easy to drink. I can never get enough of this.

A great beer that I have enjoyed several times, and every time is a treat. Because of the vinous character, this is something that could appeal to wine drinkers as well. One of those beers that is more of an experience than anything, and an experience I am glad to have at every opportunity. I can't recommend this enough.

Cantillon Saint Lamvinus from Brasserie Cantillon