Lion Stout | Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited
Sri Lanka
lionbeer.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

The dark caramel, large dense headed brew, with its 8.8% alcoholic content, is unique due to its sweet notes of chocolate and coffee interspersed into a foundation of dark roasted barley. Symbolic black to denote leadership, power, focus and strength, is dominant in the labeling as the lion journeys in the twilight unafraid, unbowed and unchallenged.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Ratings: 1,634 |  Reviews: 908

I suppose unlike other reviews, I'm unable to taste all the different flavors in beers. I do, however, taste a bit of mocha in this brew. The alcohol isn't as well hidden as others in the same category. But it's still very easy drinking. As far as I know, stouts aren't known for their bitterness and this one is no exception. I've only had the pleasure of trying around 8-9 stouts, but this one is definitely the best, thus far. Not only one of my stouts, but one of my all-around favorite brews. Delectable.

Yikes!

Definitely in my top 3, all-time favorite Stout list. Right up there with Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Young's Double Chocolate.

Pours an immediate 4 fingers of head and leaves an impenetrable quilted layer of pillowy, chocolately goodness. No need for lacing because the head stays to visit for the entire vacation. The smell and taste is 100% chocolate. Mouthfeel is silky and luxurious. Drinkability is incredibly high however at 8% I was feeling tingly pretty quick.

I was definitely shocked and pleasantly surprised at how good this beer is. Highly recommended.

A- An inky black with a mocha colored head. Nice lacing.

S - An exceptional mocha coffee smell.

T - Vanilla and mocha coffee. Slight bitterness on the back end.

M - Appropriately thick. Well carbonated. Goes down extremely smooth.

D - Exceptional taste, slight alcohol presence and extremely smooth. Dangerously drinkable.

One of the finest stouts I have had the pleasure to enjoy. I have a feeling that the six pack will not last long and I will be going back for more.

4.95/5  rDev +26.6%

This is my go to stout! At any time a bomber of this goes down sooo smooth, almost too smooth. At above 8% it sure has the ability to go down quick. Beautiful in the glass. Dark fruit aroma, with coffee and chocolates as well on the palate. Some may not like it, some may think its too cheap in a sense...but to me, for the price, year round availability and great all around character of this brew, it's a winner. Cheers!

4.92/5  rDev +25.8%

Found at local store wanted to try the difference between Guinness foreign extra stout, and a non-Irish foreign extra stout found that Lion was and exceptionally smooth drink with enough kick to make the stout very well in the winter. I've referred this beer to other to definitely put on there list to try

4.92/5  rDev +25.8%

This is an exceptional tasting stout. The mix of roasted malts, vanilla, cherry, coffee, and chocolate make this stout among the true leaders in taste. Very easy on the pallet making this stout a good compliment to desserts.

The appearance is pitch black and the aroma is very distinct. The smell of chocolate is strong but does not overpower the subtle aroma of cherry and vanilla.

I would highly recommend this to any fan of stouts!

4.88/5  rDev +24.8%

In one word: Excellent. I do love stouts and I was excited to try one from a country I do not usually purchase beer from. The beer was poured dark brown, almost black with a thick tan head that left decent lacing. It smelled of caramel and raisins. The taste had a tangy start and a malty finish, giving it a great balance. It was fun each time I put it in my mouth and I looked forward to each new sip! The taste, much like the smell also had hints of caramel, raisins, and espresso. The finish was like bittersweet chocolate. Highly recommended.

4.88/5  rDev +24.8%

Had this beer back in the day from a beer of the month club and I always wanted to get my hands on it again. This beer pours black with a nice light brown head. Smell is great: coffee, chocolate, caramel and brownies. Taste is even better, sweet dark chocolate with roasted coffee, perfectly balanced so its not overly sweet. Very smooth and drinkable; pair this with chocolate chip brownies at you own discretion cause it may cause a diabetic seizure. This is probably the best stout I can remember having. Near perfect.

4.85/5  rDev +24%

Lion Stout has an extraordinarily thick, creamy, beige head and a black appearance (light reddish-brown around the edges). The aroma is of dark-roasted malt, licorice, and confectionery sugar. Taste is of licorice, dark-roasted malt, dark chocolate, dark coffee, cream, brandy wine, and grain. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, and Lion Stout finishes heavy, sweet, syrupy, and awesomely delicious. Overall, this is one of the best beers I have every had the pleasure to drink. I rate it about as high as one could rate a beer. Terrific!

RJT

4.85/5  rDev +24%

Got 2-6pks from BOTW in Rochester.

The beer pours an opaque nearly jet black colour, very little head.

Smell is of burnt toffee, coffee, chocolate and mocha

Taste is malty upfront, full robust flavours of caramel, chocolate, coffee and toffee. taste is slightly sweet (but not too sweet) with a nice balanced bitterness, this is nearly perfection in my book.

Mouthfeel is excellent, the flavors just explode into the mouth, thick and chewy, for a 9% ABV, this is really drinkable.

This is one of my top 3 beers to drink at any point. This will be a staple in my fridge for the forseeable future.

4.85/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A - It's black with a chocolate milk head.

S - It's smells like dark fruit and rum.

T - It tatses like dried fruit, particularly prunes (which i like) and rum at the end.

M - It feels thick.

O - I love it. It is the best stout I've had so far. Sure I've had Guinness . I didn't enjoy Duck-Rabbit's milk stout. I liked North Coast's Old Rasputin, but I like this even more than the others it seems like I can tastes more things. Perhaps the flavors I perceive and enjoy will change in the future.

4.85/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited