Lion Stout | Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

good
Read the review
Lion StoutLion Stout

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited
Sri Lanka
lionbeer.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

The dark caramel, large dense headed brew, with its 8.8% alcoholic content, is unique due to its sweet notes of chocolate and coffee interspersed into a foundation of dark roasted barley. Symbolic black to denote leadership, power, focus and strength, is dominant in the labeling as the lion journeys in the twilight unafraid, unbowed and unchallenged.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Ratings: 1,625 |  Reviews: 906
2.31/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured it and then sat down to drink it while reading the reviews on here. Noticed the first swig full of flavor and inviting. It was all downhill from there. It started getting sickly sweet or something offensive. I'm not sure if it was the mouthfeel or the flavors. Before a gag reflex set in, I rushed to the sink and poured the glass and what remained in the bottle down the sink. I switched to a Sam Adams Winter Lager but that would not enough to cleanse my palate. There's a reason a large bottle of this is only $3.50. Stay away.

2.32/5  rDev -41%

11.2 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours very black, and looks fairly viscous. About a finger an a half of brown head which dissipates somewhat quickly. Looks like a nice stout.

S: Here's where the trouble starts. Smell is quite strange. Somewhere between skunky and slightly sour. Highly grainy. Not good.

T: Grainy, with a bad lactic sourness in there. Pretty weak roasted flavor. Some dark fruit, dates. Crappy, highly tannic coffee on the finish.

M: Might not have been bad here if it wasn't for the high astringency.

O: Not pleasant. Drainpour. Big disappointment. Pricepoint is the only reason behind the 2.5 here. Really sad I bought two bottles.

2.36/5  rDev -39.9%

2.36/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Consumed May 3rd, 2012 at The Tin Cow, Pensacola, FL from a can. Poured into a pint glass.

Extremely dark brown with a finger-high mocha colored head.

Aroma is a little on the red grape tip with some subtle roasted malts.

Flavor is a mess. Chalky, thin, weird. Red grapes, weak, lightly roasted malts, mineral notes. Low bitterness.

Unremarkable mouthfeel, save for the chalky, chewy bit.

Think I'll take a pass on this one next time I see it.

2.41/5  rDev -38.7%

Had this beer at a cookout this last weekend. Someone knew I liked stouts, so they grabbed this for me. Poured it into a mug. Pours a thick oil-like black with a large tan head on top. Very good retention; left lots of sticky lace clinging to the glass. Scents of dark fruits, milk chocolate, and some roasted malts.

The body was pretty wet and slick. I expected more here. Too watery. The taste was not doing it for me. Some sourness present reminded me of some milk stouts. Other flavors noted were grape, and faint chocolate notes. Nothing standout here. I couldn't even finish this one. Something about it just wasn't pleasant. I'll pass on this one.

2.44/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Much less a lion, and much more a feral cat.

A ruby shade of blackness, with a skinny tan edge.
Aromas mirroring the inside of of a raisin box. Cardboard, wax, and stale dark fruits.
Astonishes the mouth with its lack of flavor, especially decent flavor. Slightly roasted with faint chocolate covered prunes. Rummed coffee towards the back of the throat. Some oxidization, wet paper, and building vinegar sourness to round this out.
Not exciting in the least, actually, not even pleasant.

Next.

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had a bottle in the US and I did not enjoy this. This is probably due to the fact there is no way to know how long the bottle has been on the shelf and how it was treated getting there. Eitherway, probably not the best beer to chose to export to the US.

2.52/5  rDev -35.9%

I enjoyed this beer while playing cards at a friend's house. From bottle to pint glass.

Appearance: Nice and dark, but with no head.

Smell: Chocolate and malt.

Taste: Too bitter with a really bad metallic taste. I felt like I was eating tin foil.

Mouthfeel: - thick-bodied.

Drinkability: I'm guessing the metal taste was only part of tihs bad batch we had. Would try it again, but am not holding out hope.

2.53/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle from the Wienhous (Asheville, NC). $2.69. No bottling info. Poured into a snifter.

Near black with 1/2 finger tan head. Almost zero lacing.

Dates and figs with a hint of bakers chocolate. Overall a bit sweet.

Sweet dark fruit and mild chocolate. There's a little roast/smokeyness in there. I can taste the alcohol too- I wasn't expecting that, seeing as the abv isn't that high at all. All around flat.

Medium bodied. Heavier carbonation that is really necessary. Dry finish.

Meh. As far as I'm concerned, Sri Lanka can keep it. It's not awful but I'll never look for it again. There are too many other worthwhile stouts out there to waste any more time/money on this.

2.53/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.54/5  rDev -35.4%

Appearance: A deep dark brown color with a full, foamy, tan head (low retention. Aroma is dull and muted: Roasty and chocolaty with a light hop presence. Metallic notes. Flavor: sweet start with a dominant roasted taste, chocolaty, and a lightly dry and metallic finish. Palate: medium bodied and creamy with low co2. This beer seems to have under utilized the assets of the ingredients. Not a bad beer, but not well balanced and not memorable.

2.56/5  rDev -34.9%

A: Dark brown-black appearance with thick dark head. Head lingers for a short time not as long as many I have seen

S: Somewhat chocolaty with hits of coffee, rather bland, nothing exceptional but still decent.

T: Hints of chocolate and hints of coffee, more bitter than what I would expect of a stout, slight hoppiness that is hard to notice at first.

M: Thick mouthfeel with strong taste of alcohol, the 8% alcohol comes out strongly, not covered up well by beer itself.

D: The 22 oz. bottle I drank it from was enough for me, after finishing to bottle was full and had little desire to drink the other beer I had bought for the night.

2.62/5  rDev -33.3%

Paid $1.99 for an 11.2 oz bottle from City Beer Store in San Francisco.

One inch tan head after an aggressive pour. Moderate head retention for a stout. Some lacing that slowly disappears. Black color.

Smells of breads, alcohol, sweet and roasted malts and some yeast esters.

Tastes a bit over-roasted. Alcohol is present.

Thick and moderately creamy. Little carbonation. Full bodied. Not the easiest to drink.

Not a fan.

2.71/5  rDev -31%

330 mL can poured into a snifter. This can has been in my fridge for about 3 years.

Appearance - Black with a decent pale khaki head. Thick collar.

Smell - Roasted malt and some cardboard. Lots of caramel.

Taste - Sweet up front with some sherry like oxidation. Cardboardy bitterness builds. Less roast than I was hoping for. Much more caramel.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy body. Pretty sweet, but not enough to back it up.

Overall - Well this is too old, but besides the oxidation, it still tastes like regular Lion Stout.

2.75/5  rDev -30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance - 4.25/5
Extremely dark brown, almost black. Two fingers of light brown head. The head dies down a little, but stays at about 1/2 finger for a while. Great lacing. There are various small to large particles which can be seen in the beer.

Smell - 3.5/5
Strong chocolate then alcohol aromas fill my nose. I swish the beer around again and take another sniff. Chocolate/mocha, and the alcohol is even stronger this time. The alcohol smell reminds me of vodka. I like the chocolate aspect, don't like the "vodka" aspect.

Taste - 2.25/5
Roasty and smoky, sweet roasty chocolate/mocha. Strong vodka-like alcohol taste. I was going to say the taste wasn't that bad, but then I realized my face cringed upon my first sip. So I can't rationalize this away and say it's great, because clearly my body says otherwise. Yeah, after taking a few more sips I can say that I definitely don't like this beer. It literally tastes like someone poured a little bit of vodka into a stout. It's not good. This is one of those beers I was tempted to pour down the drain (I didn't...mainly because I hate wasting beer, and I wanted to finish the review).

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium-bodied, medium level of carbonation. Fairly smooth

Overall - 2/5
I had this beer sitting in my fridge for a few weeks and was excited to try it. I was extremely disappointed. This ranks down in the top 5 worse beers I can remember.

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

a-extremly dark and black, not brown a black color, thick head and overall a very thick beer.

s-a dull chocolate smell, like a old chocolate that has been sitting at your grandparents house and is still there because your scared to try it, beause of how old it possible could be.

t-a bitter taste with a bad after taste, maybe its the alc. content in the beer, but i guess with the dull smell comes the dull taste, my beer is alittle chilled, i waited for 10 mins after I took it out of the frig, but i cannot image this beer warm, or any warmer than i have, maybe some hidden taste?

m- extremly thick, i like that it is thick and lingers in the mouth for some time, but because of the taste of it, it makes it worse.

d-I will not have this beer, again, i rate it average just because it prob tastes a lot better where consumed in the country of origin, Sri Lanka

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited