Lion Stout | Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

good
Read the review
Lion StoutLion Stout

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited
Sri Lanka
lionbeer.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

The dark caramel, large dense headed brew, with its 8.8% alcoholic content, is unique due to its sweet notes of chocolate and coffee interspersed into a foundation of dark roasted barley. Symbolic black to denote leadership, power, focus and strength, is dominant in the labeling as the lion journeys in the twilight unafraid, unbowed and unchallenged.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Ratings: 1,618 |  Reviews: 901
2.62/5  rDev -33.3%

Paid $1.99 for an 11.2 oz bottle from City Beer Store in San Francisco.

One inch tan head after an aggressive pour. Moderate head retention for a stout. Some lacing that slowly disappears. Black color.

Smells of breads, alcohol, sweet and roasted malts and some yeast esters.

Tastes a bit over-roasted. Alcohol is present.

Thick and moderately creamy. Little carbonation. Full bodied. Not the easiest to drink.

Not a fan.

2.71/5  rDev -31%

330 mL can poured into a snifter. This can has been in my fridge for about 3 years.

Appearance - Black with a decent pale khaki head. Thick collar.

Smell - Roasted malt and some cardboard. Lots of caramel.

Taste - Sweet up front with some sherry like oxidation. Cardboardy bitterness builds. Less roast than I was hoping for. Much more caramel.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy body. Pretty sweet, but not enough to back it up.

Overall - Well this is too old, but besides the oxidation, it still tastes like regular Lion Stout.

2.75/5  rDev -30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Appearance - 4.25/5
Extremely dark brown, almost black. Two fingers of light brown head. The head dies down a little, but stays at about 1/2 finger for a while. Great lacing. There are various small to large particles which can be seen in the beer.

Smell - 3.5/5
Strong chocolate then alcohol aromas fill my nose. I swish the beer around again and take another sniff. Chocolate/mocha, and the alcohol is even stronger this time. The alcohol smell reminds me of vodka. I like the chocolate aspect, don't like the "vodka" aspect.

Taste - 2.25/5
Roasty and smoky, sweet roasty chocolate/mocha. Strong vodka-like alcohol taste. I was going to say the taste wasn't that bad, but then I realized my face cringed upon my first sip. So I can't rationalize this away and say it's great, because clearly my body says otherwise. Yeah, after taking a few more sips I can say that I definitely don't like this beer. It literally tastes like someone poured a little bit of vodka into a stout. It's not good. This is one of those beers I was tempted to pour down the drain (I didn't...mainly because I hate wasting beer, and I wanted to finish the review).

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium-bodied, medium level of carbonation. Fairly smooth

Overall - 2/5
I had this beer sitting in my fridge for a few weeks and was excited to try it. I was extremely disappointed. This ranks down in the top 5 worse beers I can remember.

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

a-extremly dark and black, not brown a black color, thick head and overall a very thick beer.

s-a dull chocolate smell, like a old chocolate that has been sitting at your grandparents house and is still there because your scared to try it, beause of how old it possible could be.

t-a bitter taste with a bad after taste, maybe its the alc. content in the beer, but i guess with the dull smell comes the dull taste, my beer is alittle chilled, i waited for 10 mins after I took it out of the frig, but i cannot image this beer warm, or any warmer than i have, maybe some hidden taste?

m- extremly thick, i like that it is thick and lingers in the mouth for some time, but because of the taste of it, it makes it worse.

d-I will not have this beer, again, i rate it average just because it prob tastes a lot better where consumed in the country of origin, Sri Lanka

2.85/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.91/5  rDev -26%

Hadn't seen this stout before so I thought I'd give it a try.

A- Oil black with a small light tan head that dissipates to just a film.

S- Coffee, dried fruit, and very small amount of bitter chocolate.

T- Was not impressed. Burnt coffee fading into dried fruit which then becomes incredibly tanic and sour. Not a fan.

M- Medium mouthfeel, slightly creamy, decent mouthfeel for the genre.

D- If you like the taste I imagine the drinkability would be ok. Unlike many other stouts the 8% ABV definitely shows.

Other BA's seem to like this brew, I, on the other hand did not. Maybe my taste buds are not sophisticated enough lol. For $7 a 6-pack, give it a try and see what you think.

2.91/5  rDev -26%

This beer poured out an almost opaque black with slight tints of a deep ruby coming through when put up to a light. The head was impressive, rich and a dark tan color. The aroma is alcohol, caramel and heavy sweet malts. The taste was strong in alcohol, bitter roastiness with an astringent aftertaste. It's a complex tasting
stout, but the flavor misses the mark for me - although I do prefer dry rather than sweet stouts in general. Not bad.

2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a nice dark walnut with a decent head. The head is short-lived and leaves no lace.

Sweet, roasted nose with coffee and dark chocolate. The coffee and dark chocolate are also present in the taste, along with some toastiness. The beer is a little too sweet up front, but has a decently bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is confused, with sweet syrupiness followed by thinness.

Passable, but there are more enjoyable stouts to be had.

2.94/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours into my 25cl tulip glass with a dense, creamy, initially four-finger thick, deeply brown stained, full tan colored head. The beer is a full black color that shows just a flash of ruby to it when held up directly to the light. Weird, the aroma is quite weird; buttery, but with an almost chemical undercurrent. What is weird is that this might not be diacetyl, this is the most likely culprit, but for some reason it just seems a bit different than your typical diacetyl signature. Buttered popcorn aromas clearly dominate, but there is just a hint of roast character noticeable towards the finish.

Quite sweet with a fairly agreeable flavor until the finish which has a phenolic, chemical edge to it. The body has a nice fullness to it as well as a nice soft, chocolate tasting, roast grain flavor to it. That strange buttery note is not nearly as noticeable in the flavor, but the chemical note still manages to mute my enjoyment of this beer pretty significantly.

This is newly arrived in Arizona, so I don't understand why this is so bad; and to be honest the flavors of this beer seem pretty fresh, it is just that there are also some significantly off components to this beer as well.

2.95/5  rDev -24.9%

330ml bottle. Snifter glass. Enjoyed on jul´11. Pours pitch black in color. Tan froth creates a creamy lasting & thick crown. Ripe grapes, raisins & hints of chocolate to the nose. Flavors & mouthfeel are dominated by a heavy sweetness. Quite cloying sensation.

2.96/5  rDev -24.7%

hadnt had this in a while so i figured i pick up a couple.

P: pours a jet black with a tan head that has good retention and lacing

S: doesn't really smell like anything....kind of disappointing.

T: Vanilla, burbon, carmel and some toasty malts

O: not bad has good mouth feel with the carbonation, wouldn't mind sessioning with it but its not stellar.

2.97/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance:
As black as black gets. Completely eclipses any light on the other side of it. No color glow on the edges. I poured a 625 ml bottle into a tulip glass that produced a two-finger head that appeared as a thick and frothy tan. There is some pretty ringed lacing.

Smell:
Pleasantly rustic, and a bit musty, but sweet with a strong mocha presence. The former is due to some spicey dark fruit notes and a little smokiness. The smell of alcohol is noticeable.

Taste:
Interesting...I can't tell what kind of stout it's trying to be. The coffee/mocha aroma doesn't really translate through in the taste that much. There's a molasses sweetness that fades into a finish of bitter, dark roasted grain. There's even something else there at the end that just tastes foreign. Maybe it's that spice that I smelled. I know Sri Lanka is a mecca for spices.

Mouthfeel:
A bit on the flat side, and finished wet and long.

Drinkability:
I wouldn't drink more than one bottle, nor would I buy it again. But I enjoyed the bottle I had enough.

This beer looks and smells better than it tastes. But I felt that I would have enjoyed it more if I had a smokey aged cheese and artisan bread to go with it. It needs an edible companion.

2.97/5  rDev -24.4%

Recommended to me by a colleague as “A pretty good Stout... and from Sri Lanka” - I had to give it a go, I don’t think I’ve even looked in the general direction of Sri Lanka for anything beer related, so on my beer world tour country #34 is (of course I just told you, put away those sticks - there’s no need for a drumroll): Sri Lanka!

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours really excitable for an 8.8% ABV Stout (I have a 1 inch tan head going on here) with a deep brown, almost black, body and some large chunks of yeast sitting at the bottom of my glass... just noticed the best before date is July 2014, oh :( 5/10.

S: Bit of the old burnt barley, engine oil, roast coffee and dark chocolate aromas happening right now, kinda reminds me of my very first review those many moons ago (you remember Sheaf Stout right?). 6/10.

T: Interesting flavour, an almost sickly sweet prune character (upfront and all over) with some smoke, roasted coffee notes, and indeed as the label proclaims a: “mocha liquor like character”. I’ve underlined the “liquor” part because Sinha are obviously proud of the fact that their Stout has this fusel alcohol note. The aftertaste is quite proportionally metallic as well. 6/10.

M: Medium bodied with a medium, borderline fizzy-as-hell carbonation. 6/10.

D: This brew shies away from greatness due to the odd fusel and almost sickly sweet prune characters which make it more of an oddity than an enjoyable experience, perhaps it’s my own subjective views but Sinha Stout doesn’t do it for me quite nearly as much as Samuel Smith’s Imperial Stout did. I actually found this a bit of a chore to finish, and drinking beer should never become a chore. 6/10.

Food match: I imagine a big Sri Lankan curry would sort this Stout out sharpish.

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited