Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lion Stout | Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited
Sri Lanka
lionbeer.com

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

The dark caramel, large dense headed brew, with its 8.8% alcoholic content, is unique due to its sweet notes of chocolate and coffee interspersed into a foundation of dark roasted barley. Symbolic black to denote leadership, power, focus and strength, is dominant in the labeling as the lion journeys in the twilight unafraid, unbowed and unchallenged.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-28-2001

Ratings: 1,633 |  Reviews: 908
3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

As a fan of full bodied stouts this beer didn't impress me as much as it's reputation in the beer publications indicated it would. I felt it was on the dry Irish stout side but without the creamy head and roasted malt flavors. Bitter roasted barley, but not much malt backbone left me wanting more and not getting it.

2.26/5  rDev -42.2%

Bottle at the House of Brews in NYC. (Michael Jackson picture on the back of the bottle.)

Pour was a nice almost black with dark brown flat head.

Taste left a lot to be desired - as it was very different from what I am used to in a stout. Interesting to say the least, just not exactly what I prefer in taste.

I would suggest trying this if you like a less creamy more carob syrupy flavor beer with a roasted flavor (somewhat smokey).

Give it a shot - always worth it to formulate your own opinion.

Cheers.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Pretty much straight black in color with a long lasting head that is a tan mocha brown.

Plenty of coffee and chocolate scents to go around and just drenched in malt.

Strong flavor right from the start with an upfront bitter coffee taste which slowly gives way to a sweet chocolate taste that eventually finishes bittersweet.

A lighter density than expected due to the ABV.

Even with the strong taste and high ABV this is a pretty drinkable brew.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

I liked this beer a great deal. Definitely a nice chocolate mocha taste and smell. Well rounded after taste. My one real complaint would be that there is entirely too much carbonation in the beer. It masks an otherwise very good taste. My beer is also being served a bit cooler than it should be, which has an effect. The beer is definitely a stout, but a bit light as stouts go, and combined with the extra cold state, make it not the best winter beer at the moment.

Although, as I said, very good beer, and worth the while.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

This one is outstanding. It opens up so much when warmed to a proper temperature. Bold aroma. Bold Flavors. Smooth.

Mouthfeel is outstanding. Coats the tongue and allows each flavor to play. ABV wasn't aggressive. I felt the beer went down rather easy. However, it is more of a sipper.

Served to cold it seems like a bitter assault. I'm looking forward to laying down a few.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

4.65/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I decided to re-re-review this as my first one was based on a mildly infected box, then my second attempt was a drunken, rambling mess. I actually ended up increasing some of my scores now that my nose isn't so stuffy and I'm in a better state of mind to pick up on the subtleties.

Awesome appearance. Nearly black, but just a bit of light shines through at the edges. Big, creamy, tan head with excellent retention. Kind of hard to describe but the best way I can put it is that the bubbles are extremely fine, almost like a nitro stout. Thick sheets of lacing everywhere. An oddly unique look, and one of the most appealing that I've seen.

Nose is lively with some coffee, dark fruit (I still hate saying that), sweet roasted malts, and a slight hint of alcohol. There's another scent under there that's hard to identify which I like a lot, and which gives this beer a lot of its character. Oh, that's it, chocolate! Almost a milk chocolate, not the bitter dark of most stouts (well, imperial ones, which what I normally reach for).

Delicious taste that reveals some more nuance. Assertive coffee/roast flavor that is kept in check by the underlying fruity sweetness. I guess you could say that the entry has more fruit and sweetness and creamy milk chocolate, with the roasted character coming out in the... mid palate? Is that a thing? The finish goes back to more of a fruit and light chocolate taste, with very light bitterness coming out as it fades. It's hard to to fully express my appreciation for this beer's taste, because it's got a lot of flavor, but the balance is what's important, and that's difficult to describe. I think it's the balance of chocolate and fruit that does it to me. And it's really not that sweet overall, which is another plus.

Mouthfeel is another strong point. The carbonation is fairly high, but once again, oddly fine. It's sharp on the entry, but not too much. Body is on the lighter end of medium, really quite unusual when you consider the nearly 9% ABV, but this is another oddity that ends up working very well for me. Rather dry finish. Smooth, creamy, incredibly drinkable for how strong it is. Compared to most stouts, it's almost like drinking a champagne, and it works! I'm used to drinking imperials that blast my throat with extreme viscosity and just saying "oh man it's so thick I love it." This one is a little strange and the various elements all come together to make something unique and, to me, fantastic.

One of my favorite stouts overall, and definitely my favorite one that isn't limited/fancy/hard to find. When you factor in the price, this is very nearly a perfect beer. Less than $10 for a four pack of 500ml cans or under $5 for a bomber, unbelievable. I'm sure a lot of the low reviews are of infected/"off" batches, judging by how different some of the descriptions are. I've got a pretty big backlog of beers at home to work through, and yet I just keep buying more Lion Stout. It's a versatile beer suitable for thoughtful sipping or just partying and tossing back. A true classic!

4.71/5  rDev +20.5%

tasted a full bottle at a beer tasting (it was my first drink so my tastebuds were clean).

poured an excellent looking black with a great off white/brown head. Lacing was superb.

Smell of alcohol, roasted malts, oak and cider.

sweet taste with some of the cider smell definately displayed.

was very smooth, especially for a stout. I could, and did drink a couple. I am not the greatest stout fan but will have this again in the future.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.27/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a bottle in Japan, poured into a goblet.

A: Dark black with slight amber on the edges. Large head!

S: Sweet malts, milk chocolate, dark fruits. Quite a robust smell.

T: Starts off creamy and sweet, fruits are present. More bitter malts and slight chocolate/coffee taste is present in the middle. Ends with bitter chocolate and slight alcohol burn.

M: Creamy but not overly heavy.

O: This is good! No one taste is overwhelming as it is well balanced. Not as strong coffee and chocolate as a lot of stouts but the sweet malts and fruit are great. Definitely a sipper!

4.49/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.43/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

The Lion Stout is perfectly named. It has many of the more pleasant roasted malt and coffee like features of a quality dry stout, combined with a big 8% abv to boot.

Pours black and opaque with a quickly fading tan head and a faintly sour aroma. I enjoyed the way the alcohol blended with the bittersweet chocolate flavors. Robust and roasty, but at no time harsh. Medium bodied with a good mouthfeel, but I would not describe it as remarkably smooth. Well balanced though, with a relatively clean dry finish.

Overall, a good foreign stout that I wish I had more of.

3.52/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

I had heard that this stout had been touted by Mr. Jackson and I'm on a stout kick and had never tried it so...

A: Pours a nice thick black with a 2-3 inch light brown head. Nice lacing on the sides. This batch appears to be fresh.

S: Nice roasted nut smell

T: Very very smooth stout, creamy, nutty, not very bitter but a slightly metallic after taste keeps it from a higher rating. The 8% alcohol is VERY well hidden.

M: Mouthfeel is pleasant but more watery than the brew appears.

D: I could drink several of these. The alcohol is well disguised behind the mild sweetness and nutty flavors. This is a well balanced stout and is a great "value" purchase at $10 for 6. The aftertaste is my only real problem with this offering. Overall, very enjoyable.

Lion Stout from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited