Lion Imperial Premium Malt Pilsner | Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by DoctorDog on 06-11-2009

Reviews: 130 | Ratings: 212
1.09/5  rDev -63.5%

Yuck! Picked this up by mistake, as I meant to grab their fairly decent stout. This is not in the same ballpark. Pours golden with a thick head that very quickly fades to nearly nothing. Smells like rubbing alcohol with some very late graininess. Nothing like a nice whiff of solvent to wake your appetite up for the beer that follows. Tastes similar, which is -bad. Makes my eyes water from what seems to be a shot of cheap vodka more than it is a beer. Not even any hint of the grain this time (not that really helped the aroma). Mouthfeel is harsh and chemical feeling, and to me this whole beer is undrinkable. Drain pour.

1.16/5  rDev -61.2%

I bought this based on the very good Stout that they brew. What a mistake...

It looks like Budweiser, only with little tendrils of "stuff" floating around in it. I hope that it is yeast, but it doesn't look like any bottle conditioned beer I have ever seen. The saving grace is a pretty white head.

Smells like cheap malt liquor. Nuff said.

The taste is truly vile. Cloyingly sweet to an extreme. It makes my face pucker up and then makes my whole body shiver. After the taste has wracked me to my soul, I am left with a boozy, dry mouth and lingering sweetness.

This beer is wrong, just wrong. I drank a few sips for this review and the rest went down the drain.

1.16/5  rDev -61.2%

I hate to be a killjoy but I have to be with this beer. What exactly is going on? I thought Lion knew what they were doing, their Stout is a very good beer..why is this one so horrible. This tastes budweiser with the water iced out completely. There is a definite strong smell and taste, but not one I could call great. Jet feul is the smell, half rotten corn is the other. I think that there might really be some hops somewhere or other in here, but I certainly am not the man to find them. The appearance is decent, the mouthfeel is decent, neither is anything special, and those two are this beer's only shining points. Way too hot, not blended at all. My least favorite beer of all time.

1.33/5  rDev -55.5%

Oh my god, this is one of the all time worst beers! I poured it a bit too cold which should have benefitted this, but its quality shown thru. The beer reeked of sweet solvents. One taste and I almost retched; had to dump it and wash my mouth out. If you want somebody to leave your party, give them this beer.

1.34/5  rDev -55.2%

This was without a doubt, the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. Congrats to the marketing team for thier impressive label.To the brew master, you should be ashamed of yourself. At first sip you will realise you have made a terrible mistake. I would rank this beer somewhere around rhinelander and colt 45.

1.49/5  rDev -50.2%

12oz can into a pokal glass.

color is a transparent golden yellow with a thick white head that calms to a thin cap and lasts. lots of lace in this glass.

smells like corn and alcohol. maybe a little hops in there.

taste is sticky, malty sweet in a not so good way. really grainy with a little hop bite in the finish. taste gets really bad as the beer warms.

body is much thicker than i was expecting. really chewy with a lot of carbonation.

drinkability is pretty low, i couldn't even finish this one. wound up dumping about half of it down the drain. if you see this on the shelf, keep on going.

1.58/5  rDev -47.2%

11.2oz bottle into DFH shaped pint glass.

A: The liquid pours a dark golden with a touch of amber beneath a thick, dense, dark tan head that slowly faded into a thick film leaving a great network of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: This just smells awful, cooked vegetables all the way. It’s pungent smelling, with scents of old vegetable soup, corn mash, dirty grains and soggy bread. Whew.
T: Taste follows the nose with strong notes of nasty vegetables, blaring honey sweetness, and a good dose of alcohol. The honey flavor would be pleasant if not for the sharp grain alcohol and vegetables. This tastes like a cheap malt liquor with a ton of honey and a chemical aftertaste.
M: Medium body, gritty mouthfeel with a sharp alcohol presence and tingly carbonation.
O: Pretty darn awful. The vegetable flavor wasn’t as bad after a while, but I ended up pouring more than half of the bottle down the drain. Avoid.

1.6/5  rDev -46.5%

Aroma is light floral hops and hints of Pilsner malt. After it sat a little, picking up a mild funk.

Pours big 3" thick foamy head. Slow to dissipate. Very light golden color. Clarity is high, but seeing a lot of particles floating around. Thin long strands.I don't think this was bottle condition and I'm pretty sure it didn't come from the glass. Big turn off to an otherwise great presentation.

Tastes like apple cider. Don't believe this was the intended flavor.

Alcohol is very evident on this one. Leaves tongue mildly slick.

Obviously an infected bottle. I can't remember where I picked this up but it was in a make your own 6-pack and sat in my fridge for 5 months. So guessing shelf life is well past its prime, still if Lion had better sanitary practices this could have been avoided.

1.62/5  rDev -45.8%

this is not the worst beer i have ever had but damn close. had the lion stout which i think i liked but this is awfull. apperence looks like beer everyting else omg could be drinking 100 times better. worst beer ive reviewed so far almost undrinkable but can finish if i try real hard.

1.63/5  rDev -45.5%

Light transparent in body. Terrible aromas in the nose, hops, bad water, and subtle fruit. Flavors are acidic: candied sugar, burnt sugar, alcoholic scorch. Very cloying on the palate. Tastes like a 40 oz. I'd buy in the slums of Sri Lanka. Not an enjoyable experience.

1.73/5  rDev -42.1%

I got this in a beer of the month club and thats the only reason I'm drinking this beer because it showed up to my door for free.

A - Poured a yellow color with a white head that fades very quickly

S - Is of sweet grainy malt and alcohol

T - This is just a flat out bad tasting beer sweet fruit flavors and alcohol coat my tongue

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Stay away from this shit don't waste your money on it horrible beer thats about to be a drain pour stay away

1.8/5  rDev -39.8%

12-oz bottle.

Smell - Strange. Apple vinegar. Yeast. Spices. Alcohol.

Appearance - Looks promising. Clear and golden with billowy white head.

Taste - Huge malty sweetness, almost syrupy, medicinal, some caramel notes. Pretty boozy. The seeming lack of hop bitterness to offset the intense sweetness is a bit problematic. Strange side notes: metal, balsamic vinegar, cough syrup.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied.

Drinkability - The most bizarre beer I have ever tasted. I am not quite sure what the brewers were trying to accomplish.

1.83/5  rDev -38.8%

Apperance: Pours a usually lager pale yellow with a 1in head

Smell: Has a light grain smell (like macro lagers), that is sweetened

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is of a usuall lager that is accented by sweetness. After taste is of an awful olive like flavor.

Comments: Would NOT buy it again.

1.84/5  rDev -38.5%

Eye: Looks very nice as it is poured into this pils glass. Very nice head formation and retention. The head is stable at perhaps a bit more than a finger and has a soapy looking texture. Color is crystal clear gold. This is a fizzy yellow beer, but it does a good job at looking nice.

Nose: Strong malt aroma fills the nostrils, pretty potent and easy to smell. During the pour the character of this beers aroma hit the nose. Vinous, especially when it comes to the alcohol in this beer, smells much like a riesling. Some sweet malt character here, but I'm also getting some off aromas. Something medicinal, or plastic.

Tongue: Again, that vinous quality is here. Also the off aroma is here in flavor. Taste is stale, plastic-like, and perhaps a bit medicinal. Really there is nothing redeeming about the flavor of this beer.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Light in body, though not as light as a light lager. Carbonation is pretty coarse and is lower than I expected. Finish is dry. There is no reason to come back to this beer, I am glad I didn't pay for this, barter for it, trade for it, waste my time trying to decide if I wanted to drink it, waste my time making a decision to buy/trade/barter/steal this. It was given to me, so I took it. I'll only try this one more time, and that would be because after tasting this I believe that this bottle is quite old.

1.98/5  rDev -33.8%

Two reasons I tried this: 1) Loved their Export Stout, but also 2) seeing the imperial pilsner designation, figured that if the average BMC is loosely based on a pilsner, then getting an import pilsner -- even more so, an imperial one -- would provide opportunity to taste How It's Supposed To Be. Where's my mug...

Pours a fizzy copper tone, white bubbly head of about an inch that melts away pretty quick. Don't smell much, maybe apple & a bit of indistinguishable spice (clove? Kind of...). Take a swig, and get pretty much the same thing, with a slight bit of caramel. Not much though, it's ridiculously subtle to near nonexistent. Goes down like a spritzer or wine cooler.

This is one of those beers where, when getting into another style, you conclude that either it's a bad example of the style or that style is just not for you. I'm hoping the former, because I've had malt liquors that were better than this.

2.03/5  rDev -32.1%

Received in May shipment of Beer of the Month Club.

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Slightly hazy, pale orange-yellow with very active (and loud) bubbles and head, but the head subsides very quickly with no lacing. Looked pretty good for about a minute and a half.

Smell: German noble hops, semi-sweet malt, cheap alcohol. Unfortunately, the hop smell disappeared, leaving mostly the cheap alcohol.

Taste: Wow, that does not taste the same as the somewhat dry, hoppy smell. Very, very sweet, like candy, but very peppery hops counter and are prominent at the finish. Tastes like a Malt Liquor with out of place hops. Cloying.

Feel: Pretty carbonated, light to medium body, feels alcoholic (if that makes sense).

Drinkability: Not very. Adding this note from a short while after I finished: I have an awful aftertaste in my mouth still, and am not sure if I can drink the other two I have.

This was such a great BOTM shipment until I had this.

2.12/5  rDev -29.1%

The aroma is alcoholic with flowers and sweet malt. The appearance is golden with a large head. The taste is like the aroma. It is also like fuel from the alcohol. This beer does not try to hid the alcohol in any way. The palate is smooth. Overall bad stuff. This is like a malt liquor only better than OE or Colt 45 because it lacks corn taste and has some flowery hops.

2.17/5  rDev -27.4%

A beer haiku for you:

Uh oh--trouble here;
Here's an Asian in distress-
Better be careful.

Not the best introduction to this brand--I understand their dark offerings are much better, but it will take me a while to get up the courage to face another Lion in this family....

2.31/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a clear golden color with a one inch slightly off white head. Decent retention and no lacing.

Aroma is terribly familiar. Smells like a lager! Some pale pils like malt, kind of bready and sweet. Not much going on.

Taste is really quite horrible. Ridiculously boozy, sweet, slightly fruity, some pale pils malts as well. Just horribly constructed.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is low. The flavors in this brew are terrible, and the alcohol is very apparent. Quite a stretch from their stout, which is easy to drink. This is murder!

2.34/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a dark golden yellow with a thin bubbly white head that quickly disappears leaving no retention, lacing and moderate carbonation. The nose consists of some sweet malts (honey comes to mind), some grains and alcohol. the taste starts out with a strong sweet honey taste and than the alcohol hits hard. I can barely taste the hops in this beer. This beer has too much sweetness to it that leaves a bad aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth, but semi-dry and overall this beer has no balance and not much to offer in a beer. This is a drain pour beer, not something I would expect from Ceylon/Lion Brewery.

2.36/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 330ml can into a branded Lion glass. The can only says Lion Imperial, but the six pack it came from identifies the beer as Lion Imperial Malt Pilsner.

Appearance: Big off-white head, clear light amber body.

Smell: The beer doesn't really have much of a smell to it. Kind of reminds me of a malt liquor.

Taste: Yup, it's just a malt liquor. Very sweet. If I had to sum up this beer I would say it's evocative of a sugary kids cereal soaked with booze.

Would not suggest this beer to others, and will avoid in the future.

2.39/5  rDev -20.1%

I didn't realize I had the imperial until I popped the cap (finally saw the label). I was excited to review a beer that not many people have had.

A: an orange gold with light carbonation

S: a foody smell unlike anything i have had before

T: malty with an aftertaste of inexpensive spaghetti sauce? I can't say that I liked the taste all that much.

M: light carbonation with a crisp feel on the tongue.

2.43/5  rDev -18.7%

You can call this an Imperial Pilsner, but malt liquor is malt liquor - and this belongs in that category. Heavy malt, sweet with pungent, biting alcohol noted at every turn. While better than the convenience store brown bag-worth offerings, this is really not that much of a step up.

2.44/5  rDev -18.4%

330 ml bottle into lager glass, no bottle dating. Pours slightly hazy/cloudy bright orange/copper color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big lemon, orange peel, pear, apple, honey, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Mediocre aromas with notes of big fruity/earthy yeast and moderate pale malt sweetness; with poor balance. Way too much fruitiness in the nose. Taste of lemon, orange peel, pear, apple, honey, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, orange peel, pear, apple, honey, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Very mediocre flavor profile with poor balance of pale malt sweetness and some significant fruity yeast ester flavors; with some moderate cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a moderately creamy and fairly slick mouthfeel that is a bit rough. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a really poor strong lager style. Just all around unbalanced and overly fruity in flavor; and pretty difficult to drink with the odd/rough mouthfeel. This tasted really similar to apple cider with all the fruitiness. It was not a drain pour, but it was close.

2.44/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving - Can

A - A bronze/amber color, thin head that disappears quickly

S - Very floral and sweet aroma, some hints of apple

T - Very sweet flavoring, its almost like a hard cider mixed into a bad pilsner, the finish is very strong alcohol

M - Somewhat thick with very light carbonation

O - Not very good, I've had one of their other beers and thought that that was what I was getting, I was wrong and man am I disappointed in this, its overly fruity and just not that good, it was just above a drain pour in my book

Lion Imperial Premium Malt Pilsner from Ceylon / Lion Brewery Limited