Ayinger Celebrator

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Ayinger CelebratorAyinger Celebrator
Notes: A beer that has a dominant malty taste. This beer’s origins in a monk’s recipe are reflected in its heartiness. The Pope of Beers, Conrad Seidl, describes it as: “Almost black with a very slight red tone, a sensational, festive foam and truly extraordinary fragrance that at first summons up visions of greaves lard. The first taste is of mild fullness with an accompanying coffee tone, which becomes more dominant with the aftertaste. There is very little of the sweetness that is frequently to be tasted with doppelbock beer.” The Ayinger Celebrator has been ranked among the best beers of the world by the Chicago Testing Institute several times and has won numerous medals.
Reviews: 2,553 | Ratings: 6,933 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Elemental19xx from Illinois

4.24/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Quite a nice beer. My nose cannot place the smell, yet I very much enjoy it. The taste is of malt with a coffee note that is accentuated as the beer slowly warms. The feel is exceptionally smooth, almost creamy in a way. At a lower price point, I'd sip these all night, but alas my wallet is too thin to quench my thirst. Overall I'd very much so recommend, it is a great beer, and one that I'll surely get again.

Sep 30, 2021
BillAfromSoCal from California

4.66/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass as recommended by BA for the style. Dark brown, clear (no haze at all) liquid topped by off-white to light tan head about 2 fingers high but diminishing relatively quickly to virtually nothing. Leaves no lacing. Smell and taste are both rich dark bread with raisins, molasses, dark roasted malt, a bit of dates and prunes. Really rich flavor and mouthfeel, with relatively mild carbonation on the tongue but leaving a clean finish. Overall really enjoyable, and the best of this style I have had.

Sep 28, 2021
BigIronH from Michigan

3.67/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an opaque dark amber with a red tinge, 2 finger tan head reducing to a ring, no lacing. Smell is caramel, cola, bread/toasted malt, and raisin. Taste follows suit with a sweeter honey flavor becoming apparent along with a toasted cracker and toffee/caramel. Feel is silky smooth but not full. Enjoyed.

Jul 30, 2021
md3kcn from Ohio

4.9/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Purchased as a four-pack of bottles from The Cellar (Troy) for $11.99. Poured into a tulip glass.

L - Motor oil black with a mahogany-reddish hue when held to the light. A four-finger tan head. Laces very well.
S - Rich malty character here. Stone fruit and bauernbrot. Molasses and a slight honey note. Hint of bran.
T - Molasses and whole grain bread start us off here, and the beer slowly evolves into a heavily-emphasized medium-roast coffee and fig. The finish is dry, yet subtle; a sticky, bittersweet malt with raisin.
F - Filling. Medium carbonation with a full body. Very drinkable.
O - This beer holds a special place in my heart. When I was 16, I did a lot of research on beers out of curiosity, and fell down the rabbit hole. I couldn't wait to try this beer when I came across it online, and when my mom and I were shopping at a kitchen supply store, we found and purchased a single bottle of the stuff. When we got home, I opened the bottle and took a sniff. It was the most incredible thing I've ever smelled, and it smelled like a lot of things at once - all of them great. I was allowed a two-finger filled glass, as I was still a kid. I tried so hard to drink it, but I wasn't used to the bitterness of beer, so I couldn't finish the amount in the glass. However, it smelled so good that I couldn't wait to try it with a more mature palate. I digress from that memory to review it as I have it in front of me; a damn fine beer! Complex and well-rounded, as well as filling (like eating a mini-loaf of dense whole-grain bread). Very malty, but definitely not sweet. It's not too bitter, but it definitely ends up on the more bitter section of the spectrum. This is a must-try beer. I usually am only able to find this stuff around Easter, but I was lucky enough to find it in late July of all times! If you see it, buy it without hesitation. This is a brew for the ages, young and old!

Jul 30, 2021
Steve_Studnuts from Pennsylvania

4.43/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man, that is one dark pour for something that isn't a stout or porter. Not black but just the deepest, darkest red, bordering on brown. Fluffy beige head sort of thins out to a ring. Minimal lacing, but does appear to be "sticking" around the margins - if that makes any sense. Nose is dark fruit and lots of it along with brown bread topped with caramel. Why? Maybe I'm a little stoned and that sounds appealing to me. Either way, my god this smells amazing. Tastes excellent as well. Sweet, concentrated dark fruit but with a bittering that doesn't really seem to come from hops. Or at least not fully. Bitter chocolate, perhaps? Slightly burnt brown sugar? Whatever; I'm grasping because I have a trash palette, but it's fucking tasty. You know what it's like? Coke if it wasn't so overwhelmingly sweet and had some kind of herbal bittering component. Mouthfeel is proper nice; soft, fluffy and far too chug-able. Great beer. I need more doppelbocks in my life. Especially ones that come with little plastic goats strung around the bottleneck. Drunk me has been hanging these fuckers about the house for awhile now and sober me keeps finding them in the damnedest places.

Jul 17, 2021
plutonash from Latvia

3.89/5  rDev -11%

L: Large foamy two finger brownish head at pour.
Dark dark amber/brown in colour against the light, otherwise mostly black.
Not a muddy beer, can see through. Head later dissipates to a ca. 0.5finger in size.
Okaish lacing.

S:Black bread, molasses, caramel, dust, smoke/sauna, some dark fruits like plums

T: black bread, smoke, caramel, honey

F: Mid carb, mid body, a bitter note that fits into the profile of the beer, yet lets you know its there quite smooth to be honest, didnt think this was 6.7%

O: Excellent doppelbock

May 06, 2021
Whyteboar from Michigan

4.79/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I missed out on the Bock tasting weekend as I had nothing but Belgian beers as far as Europe breweries went.
So finally found some and bought them. Glad I did too, this is really good.
Poured deep dark brown with reddish tinted edges and topped with a dense, sand colored head that refuses to go away. Beautiful beer. The aroma is very good, but I have decided my nose is somewhat less capable than many others so it may be awesome, I just can’t tell.
The taste though, wow. Malty and rich indeed. I didn’t get the coffee or chocolate that some report but did get dark fruit with the malts and they blended amazingly well. No bitterness but no sweetness really either, impressive!
The feel is spot on, what more can be said? Felt right.
I plan on making this a regular offering in my beer fridge. Thanks BA for encouraging me to try new styles!

May 01, 2021
mike22ne from Massachusetts

4.89/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Dear lord this beer is delicious! What more to say?
Rich, yet balanced; dark, yet lively; malty sweet, yet crisp enough with a touch of bitterness to keep it all in focus.
To me, it's the prototypical doppelbock. Haven't had this in a long while - glad I picked some up again to remind myself how wonderful it is.

May 01, 2021
GrandpaMiltysMalts from Virginia

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked up a 4 pack at Total Wine for $12. Total Bargain. God I love US craft beer competition that forces prices down on world class beers. 330 ml bottle, LO294 consumed 4'21. Poured dark brown, similar to cola or root beer, albeit with a creamy thick tan head. Poured a libation to the old man, like I always do. Wife's dog looks at me quizzically "why U wastin' good beer?" she askes with her head cocked. "What do U know, you're a dog" I respond. But she is happy for the next hour as I incessantly throw her the Chuck'it ball.

Let's just get to the money shot, the taste. Hint of caramel, without the sweetness. Waiting on the hops. Still waiting ... "Beuller, Beuller ..... anyone, anyone?" No hop flavor, but still balanced. How is this possible? About 4 sips in it hits me that the balance is through a dark chocolate taste that is more bitter than a 72% level chocolate bar. Genius. This is world class. We're drinking this bottled - imagine a fresh draft.

Apr 26, 2021
TommyG22 from Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +3%

Everything written about this beer is true. An enjoyable Doppelbock. I avoid bitter and stayed away from this one thinking it would be. On the contrary, it is very smooth and leaves no aftertaste. A great classic worth trying. Ayinger is a great brewery.

Apr 24, 2021
MaltyFlannel from Iowa

4.85/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Poured into a tulip at 49 degrees. Deep, clear polished brown with reddish accents in the light. Small khaki head that quickly dwindles to a quarter inch ring.

S: Stewed dark fruit. Plums and prunes. Semi sweet chocolate. Deep and substantial.

T: Chipper, semi-sweet dark fruit arrival. Dark breads on the development. Great balance between bitter, savory, and malty. A touch of noble hops pop on the finish, which is relatively dry and very bready.

F: Excellent! Medium bodied. The carb makes the feel fluffy or pillowy.

O: This is a sustaining meal in a glass without leaving your mouth sticky or your stomach full like, say, an imperial stout. It has that rare ability to transport drinker across space and time, invoking nostalgic musings of quaint continental villages and quiet country sides. With plenty of fresh bread.

Apr 24, 2021
Reef from South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330 mL bottle coded L1005
Opaque ebony color with red glints. Two fingers fine tan head. Full lacing curtains and stout cap.
Strong minerally and malty aromas.
Light stone fruit, caramel, nutty flavors, roast malt, raisins.
Smooth with a light hop zing across the tongue. Good carbonation.
Looks beautiful, smells divine, tastes amazing, feels right. Four tool beer.

Apr 23, 2021
klarcbarr3 from Michigan

4.51/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have long been a fan of Bock, and Double Bock beers.. but after I had my first Ayinger Celebrator a few years back, I stopped experiencing new ones. This beer is heavenly. A pour creates a head as substantial as you could want.. pour carefully! The color is a beautiful, rich dark chestnut brown.. hold it up to the light and admire the beauty! The nose is a pleasant enough blend of earthy hops and malt, with a carmelized, vanilla / cocoa sweetness, The taste amplifies all the fragrant points, and they dance about your mouth, leading your mind to think of positive experiences, and beauty. Plus, a full, substantial mouthfeel, German engineered heavyweight bottles.. and the 'Celebrator Goats' that hang from the neck of each bottle look like they would form one hell of an electric tabletop football team.. there's a lot to ponder, when you down an Ayinger Celebrator.

Apr 11, 2021
Sigmund from Norway

3.45/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Sample from bottle at Copenhagen Beer Festival 2013. Very dark ruby colour, nearly black. Moderate tan head. Surprisingly moderate aroma: dark bread, some caramel. Rich malty flavour, dark bread and caramel again, also some molasses, but not cloyingly sweet. Very moderate hops as expected. A good doppelbock, but way overrated.

Mar 18, 2021
Oh_Dark_Star from Washington

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: A dark cherry coke hue, deep red at the fringes with loads of rising bubbles. Two fingers of light tan pillowy foam, with good retention. Leaves wavy lines of lace, and later wide bands that merge together beautifully.

S: Deep roasted malts and fresh hazelnuts, a light toffee. Faint and fleeting notes of leather, toasted oak, and dates. The nuttier aroma picks up as it comes to temp.

T: Oh wow. The nose is really typical of the style, not powerful, and only slightly nuanced, but the taste is impressively rich and balanced. Definitely the best of the style by far that I’ve ever had.

F: Rich medium smooth body, gentle carbonation. So right.

O: The craft and generations of lessons learned are apparent in this double bock. The skill of the brewers on exceptional display.

Feb 07, 2021
REDAMI from Ohio

4.17/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet

L: Pours a deep red/black with a sand colored head which dissolves quickly

S: Malt, followed by more malt. Very sweet and pleasant with just a hint of toasted grains

T: Very malt forward beer as you'd expect from the smell, however, there is a bit more bitterness from the toasted grains and hops then you'd expect. A bit of treacle as well to add to the complexity.

F: Fairly dry but quite refreshing.

O: This is not your everyday DB, it's nowhere near as sweet as most Doppels and has much more going on with the bittering flavors to add depth. Think of it as a solid Scotch or Scottish ale made by the Germans, very very good beer.

Feb 04, 2021
NCSapiens from Indiana

4.17/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fresh on tap this beer is pure yeasty, malty goodness. There is a reason why it is the number one rated doppelbock. Dark fruit, roasted malts, and a slight caramel sweetness intertwine perfectly. Great creamy mouthfeel and excellent carbonation. Overall really the perfect example of this style.

Jan 30, 2021
Bluecrow from New York

4.42/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

-clear, dark bottle pour with a deep rose hue and a 1.5 cm cap of tan foam.
The aroma is of caramel and toasted malt.
The flavor is rich with sweet malt, toffee, figs and dark coffee notes.
The flavors persist in the finish.
This is superb.

Jan 24, 2021
BubbleBobble from New York

4.5/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown from the bottle with ruby notes; fizzy 1" head that slowly recedes to a solid tan coaster, light lacing. Nose up front is a bit metallic coming from fridge temp, but this quickly dissipates as it begins to warm. Deep roasted malt notes, big plum, raisin, and prunes; molasses and treacle; earthy hops way back. Taste is rich with stewed fruit but perfectly balanced by the noble hops. Mouthfeel is full, yet pocked by small, rounded carbonation. An absolute treat.

Jan 24, 2021
naxopulpo from Spain

4.82/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of my favourites in the style but also one of the best lagers i've tried. I always find awesome to be able to drink one of this in a normal pub, so enjoyable.

Jan 20, 2021
HochFliegen from Oregon

4.27/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured this delicious beer into a large tulip glass. The color was very dark brown with a slight reddish glow. The head was a pale tan with little retention but it did have a continuous bubbling creating a light wispy head. The smell was very pleasant with coffee, dark fruit sweetness and a hint of yeasty bread. The flavor was amazing and quite smooth I thought. Right away you get a malty sweetness that isn't overly sweet but seems just right. There is also that yeasty, bready and dark fruit flavors much like was detected in the aroma. The aftertaste is of slightly bitter chocolate and coffee. The mouthfeel I was quite impressed with, very smooth, full bodied with medium carbonation. Overall I thought this was a fabulous beer.

Jan 18, 2021
timon from California

4.15/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My grandpa always said "be careful of the doppelbock". I always said, "shut up". I love these. True German stuff here. Taste and smell is of toffee, prune, and dark rye bread. Look is almost pitch black. The carbonation is a bit annoying, imo. It's much tastier when it's flatter.

Jan 15, 2021
The_Gingerbeard_man from Washington

4.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the better doppelbocks I’ve had. Went down smooth with a nice carbonation and a mouthfeel that made me wish I’d bought more than one. The taste had a nice bready quality to it with a caramel flavor. This was a great beer to have over the holidays.

Jan 13, 2021
Truegent2004 from Minnesota

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

A very doppelbock. Not as bitter as most German offerings, goes does down smoothly. Perfect carbonation. I'd buy it more often if it weren't so pricey.

Dec 26, 2020
Jaasoares from Virginia

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark opaque black with a big light brown foamy head which lingers for a while. Malt and banana on the nose. Taste is awesome! Follows the nose and there’s sweetness which is well balanced with a very mild bitterness. Outstanding brew and is as advertised.

Dec 24, 2020