Ayinger Celebrator

Jan 10, 2001
SCORE
World-Class
Ayinger CelebratorAyinger Celebrator
Notes: A beer that has a dominant malty taste. This beer’s origins in a monk’s recipe are reflected in its heartiness. The Pope of Beers, Conrad Seidl, describes it as: “Almost black with a very slight red tone, a sensational, festive foam and truly extraordinary fragrance that at first summons up visions of greaves lard. The first taste is of mild fullness with an accompanying coffee tone, which becomes more dominant with the aftertaste. There is very little of the sweetness that is frequently to be tasted with doppelbock beer.” The Ayinger Celebrator has been ranked among the best beers of the world by the Chicago Testing Institute several times and has won numerous medals.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Ratings by Martin194:
4.85/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75
by Martin194 from Iowa

Look: Very dark brown, ruby when held up to the light; white-tan head

Smell: Hints of fruit, specifically banana and cherry, and coffee, sugar, bit of roasty undertone

Taste: Coffee, fruit, this time more plum and raisin, leaves a bittersweet taste

Feel: Light carbonation, which I thought was good as it didn't distract from the flavors; leaves kind of a sticky feel in the mouth and throat

Overall: Very good beer! Lots of flavors going on, plus the little goat is a nice touch!

Jun 27, 2016
More User Ratings:

4.43 by Hawkfish from Washington on Dec 30, 2021
4.04/5  rDev -6.9%
by pianoguy from Washington

11.2 Oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. (L1097 is stamped on the bottle?)
Dark red cola body with a light tan head. Moderate retention. Some lacing.

A dominant malt scent greets me as I pour it into a glass. I'm getting some cherry sweetness and a little spice. Nutmeg?

Taste follows with more cherries. A slightly bitter finish that came out of nowhere.

Mouthfeel had a surprisingly large amount of carbonation

Enjoyable

Dec 30, 2021

4.41 by clm9 from North Carolina on Dec 29, 2021

4.15 by Abe_Froman from Massachusetts on Dec 29, 2021
4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
by milkshakebeersucks from Maryland

The general consensus seems to be that this one is the best of the Doppelbochs and it's hard to dispute. From the first pour to the finish it is a first class treat. Clear, extra dark brown appearance and large tan head with moderate lacing. Complex aroma of cinnamon graham crackers, caramel, toasted malts and dark fruit. Rich malt flavor that i would need a thesaurus to do it justice. Full bodied, modestly carbonated mouthfeel leading to a long, lingering finish. Highly recommended.

Dec 20, 2021
4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by Rug from Massachusetts

Bottled 7/20/21

Alright, time to knock out another style topper! This one is always being discussed on the forums, but I can never seem to find it near me. Luckily when I stopped in Half Time the other day, they had some relatively fresh bottles, so I knew I had to pick it up. Let’s crack it open and see if it earns its title

Pours a very dark brown with 3 fingers of light brown head that slowly fades to a thin cap and leaves decent lacing

It’s just straight up malty goodness in the nose here. I’m picking up on aromas of dark bready malt, toast, raisin, toffee, brown sugar, sweet caramel, and molasses

It’s pretty similar in taste, but it takes on a bit more of an aggressive taste. On the front end of the sip I’m tasting red grape, dark toast, herbal hops, apple skin, toffee, sweet cocoa, and a touch of smoke. The swallow brings notes of dark toast, molasses, burnt sugar, raisin, smoke, and herbal hops

A medium body pairs with gentle carbonation, resulting in a a rich beer. Finishes off dry

This is great stuff, a classic for a reason. I’ll definitely have to pick up more

Dec 19, 2021
4.44/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by Dinglehacker from Wisconsin

Poured into seidel. Cola color. Thin beige ring and patches.

Sweet malty nose.

Creamy, dark bread, dried fruit, roasted sweets, all the checkmarks.

Smooth mouth, very light carbonation.

This is a successful example of beer that's going for the essence for a style. Great yummy beer.

Dec 19, 2021
4.66/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75
by CobraChicken

Beautiful tan head- be careful on the pour as it will stack up. Dark cola color and beautiful malty aroma. Smells sweet and earthy. The flavor makes you slow down and examine it. Not as sweet as others of the style, but filled with nuance. Dark bread and toasted malt followed by raisin and charred fruit. The finish is perfectly, mildly dry with a pleasant lingering of malt. Moderate to low carbonation. I’ve had many dopple bocks and I love them- but this one stands in it’s own class as one to be savored and pondered. Very glad I picked this one up.

Dec 18, 2021

4.04 by Campodog from Spain on Dec 15, 2021

4.44 by TWStandley from Massachusetts on Dec 06, 2021
4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by ANIMOUL from Vermont

Poured from a 12oz-ish bottle purchased from the Dorset Store. Pours dark dark brown - almost black - with one finger worth of head that recedes slowly but surely. Tastes of thick burnt malt with raisins and burnt fruit. Full and good.

Dec 04, 2021

4.23 by heymikew from California on Dec 04, 2021

4.65 by irishevans from California on Dec 01, 2021
4.01/5  rDev -7.6%
by dkoehler42 from New York

Ayinger's Celebrator is a double Bock brewed out of Bavaria. It has a remarkably dark brown color with an off-white head. The nose smells of candied fruits, which the flavor profile is as well. It's full bodied, but I'd prefer it last longer on the tongue before giving way.

Nov 29, 2021

4.1 by KT3418 from Colorado on Nov 21, 2021

4.41 by red_5_sooner from Oklahoma on Nov 16, 2021

3.5 by BillDakelski from Oklahoma on Nov 15, 2021

4.73 by bendukes86 from South Carolina on Nov 12, 2021
4.87/5  rDev +12.2%
by MrFinonacci

Wonderful beer, which inspired me to create my account on this website. Scents of raisins, ginger, vanilla, and fresh cut oak. 1 inch head. The beer is clear, and surprising light considering the ABV.

Nov 10, 2021
4.41/5  rDev +1.6%
by RaulMondesi from California

Into the heart of darkness on this son of a gun. Damn, it has this dark ruby appearance that just stares at you like Medusa when hungry for your soul. Wow, I can see why this one is special. It’s just perfectly put together like Barbara Palvin bathing in her mid century modern bath.

I’m gone.

Nov 06, 2021

4.57 by icemanexit from Indiana on Oct 31, 2021

4.66 by DrewTheBrew from Ohio on Oct 08, 2021

4.13 by Jsalz21 from New Jersey on Oct 06, 2021
4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25
by Elemental19xx from Illinois

Quite a nice beer. My nose cannot place the smell, yet I very much enjoy it. The taste is of malt with a coffee note that is accentuated as the beer slowly warms. The feel is exceptionally smooth, almost creamy in a way. At a lower price point, I'd sip these all night, but alas my wallet is too thin to quench my thirst. Overall I'd very much so recommend, it is a great beer, and one that I'll surely get again.

Sep 30, 2021
4.66/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75
by BillAfromSoCal from California

Poured into a tulip glass as recommended by BA for the style. Dark brown, clear (no haze at all) liquid topped by off-white to light tan head about 2 fingers high but diminishing relatively quickly to virtually nothing. Leaves no lacing. Smell and taste are both rich dark bread with raisins, molasses, dark roasted malt, a bit of dates and prunes. Really rich flavor and mouthfeel, with relatively mild carbonation on the tongue but leaving a clean finish. Overall really enjoyable, and the best of this style I have had.

Sep 28, 2021

4.18 by Roejogan from Canada (BC) on Sep 17, 2021

3.75 by blackcloud from Alaska on Sep 16, 2021

4.25 by mpk2020 from Illinois on Sep 08, 2021

4.93 by Piercan from Wisconsin on Aug 12, 2021
3.67/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by BigIronH from Michigan

Pours an opaque dark amber with a red tinge, 2 finger tan head reducing to a ring, no lacing. Smell is caramel, cola, bread/toasted malt, and raisin. Taste follows suit with a sweeter honey flavor becoming apparent along with a toasted cracker and toffee/caramel. Feel is silky smooth but not full. Enjoyed.

Jul 30, 2021
4.9/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5
by md3kcn from North Carolina

Purchased as a four-pack of bottles from The Cellar (Troy) for $11.99. Poured into a tulip glass.

L - Motor oil black with a mahogany-reddish hue when held to the light. A four-finger tan head. Laces very well.
S - Rich malty character here. Stone fruit and bauernbrot. Molasses and a slight honey note. Hint of bran.
T - Molasses and whole grain bread start us off here, and the beer slowly evolves into a heavily-emphasized medium-roast coffee and fig. The finish is dry, yet subtle; a sticky, bittersweet malt with raisin.
F - Filling. Medium carbonation with a full body. Very drinkable.
O - This beer holds a special place in my heart. When I was 16, I did a lot of research on beers out of curiosity, and fell down the rabbit hole. I couldn't wait to try this beer when I came across it online, and when my mom and I were shopping at a kitchen supply store, we found and purchased a single bottle of the stuff. When we got home, I opened the bottle and took a sniff. It was the most incredible thing I've ever smelled, and it smelled like a lot of things at once - all of them great. I was allowed a two-finger filled glass, as I was still a kid. I tried so hard to drink it, but I wasn't used to the bitterness of beer, so I couldn't finish the amount in the glass. However, it smelled so good that I couldn't wait to try it with a more mature palate. I digress from that memory to review it as I have it in front of me; a damn fine beer! Complex and well-rounded, as well as filling (like eating a mini-loaf of dense whole-grain bread). Very malty, but definitely not sweet. It's not too bitter, but it definitely ends up on the more bitter section of the spectrum. This is a must-try beer. I usually am only able to find this stuff around Easter, but I was lucky enough to find it in late July of all times! If you see it, buy it without hesitation. This is a brew for the ages, young and old!

Jul 30, 2021
4.84/5  rDev +11.5%
by nijato from Maryland

A true type specimen! Excellent.

Jul 19, 2021
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by Steve_Studnuts from Pennsylvania

Man, that is one dark pour for something that isn't a stout or porter. Not black but just the deepest, darkest red, bordering on brown. Fluffy beige head sort of thins out to a ring. Minimal lacing, but does appear to be "sticking" around the margins - if that makes any sense. Nose is dark fruit and lots of it along with brown bread topped with caramel. Why? Maybe I'm a little stoned and that sounds appealing to me. Either way, my god this smells amazing. Tastes excellent as well. Sweet, concentrated dark fruit but with a bittering that doesn't really seem to come from hops. Or at least not fully. Bitter chocolate, perhaps? Slightly burnt brown sugar? Whatever; I'm grasping because I have a trash palette, but it's fucking tasty. You know what it's like? Coke if it wasn't so overwhelmingly sweet and had some kind of herbal bittering component. Mouthfeel is proper nice; soft, fluffy and far too chug-able. Great beer. I need more doppelbocks in my life. Especially ones that come with little plastic goats strung around the bottleneck. Drunk me has been hanging these fuckers about the house for awhile now and sober me keeps finding them in the damnedest places.

Jul 17, 2021

4.43 by markallmon from Tennessee on Jul 10, 2021

3.87 by Mikexw from New York on Jul 05, 2021

3.5 by Rkitchen from Michigan on Jun 20, 2021
4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by Davidstan from Alabama

Well earned score. Rich smooth malty up front with very slight cocoa taste. Hard to believe this has more than 5% abv. Hidden well.

May 16, 2021