Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Style: Doppelbock

A beer that has a dominant malty taste. This beer’s origins in a monk’s recipe are reflected in its heartiness. The Pope of Beers, Conrad Seidl, describes it as: “Almost black with a very slight red tone, a sensational, festive foam and truly extraordinary fragrance that at first summons up visions of greaves lard. The first taste is of mild fullness with an accompanying coffee tone, which becomes more dominant with the aftertaste. There is very little of the sweetness that is frequently to be tasted with doppelbock beer.” The Ayinger Celebrator has been ranked among the best beers of the world by the Chicago Testing Institute several times and has won numerous medals.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Ratings: 6,599 |  Reviews: 2,459
1.96/5  rDev -54.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Dark reddish brown, barely allows light through but it does, thin head that vanishes, I can't see any carbonation but it's so hard to see through this.

Sweet dark fruits and then quickly goes towards bitter but doesn't get there. I want to say plums and maybe a hint of cherry and some raisins. It seems like a double bock only a touch sweeter, less powerful, and somewhat subtle and boring. A touch of alcohol at the end just barely.

This is a top 100 beer? Are you joking me? Just a malt bomb that as a hint of bitter flavor at the finish. A dark fruity opening, plumbs and raises and maybe caramel/bready malt. More bready than caramel. The hops are earthy and they pack almost enough bitterness, but they don't balance this beer.

The mouth feel is really really well done. Plenty of carbonation but not so much I'm burping it up. Creamy enough to savor, but thin enough for the style and to drink.

Well this is also really drinkable. I don't like the beer. I rarely don't like a beer. I often think it's a weak example of a style or a style that isn't very well made. This one just isn't very good. If you want a better example of the style check out Weihenstephaner's example....it's far superior. So I'm torn. I dislike it, but it without the flavor actor is pretty drinkable. Ok....we'll go with a 2. Unimpressed but not awful.

1.98/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Overrated. Pours a dark amber brown color with a thick white foam head. Has a yeasty aroma of dark fruit and toffee. Has a dry bitter taste with notes of dark fruit and caramel. The mix doesn't work for me. Too doughy and too sweet. To each their own.

2.12/5  rDev -51.2%

2.25/5  rDev -48.2%

2.42/5  rDev -44.2%

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Strange one. I don't get how this is top 250. It wasn't very good.

2.62/5  rDev -39.6%

Being of fan of Bocks, I was fully prepared to love this ubiquitous doppelbock. I bought a four-pack a week or so before Christmas; My kids had great fun hanging the little plastic Rams on our tree.

You know, I'm not sure if I just got a couple of bad bottles or if this style is just not for me, but the first bottle out, I quite liked. It was kind of sweet and malty, smelled great, felt nice going down--quite satisfying.

Then the next bottle was entirely disappointing. There was a slightly funky smell to it, and an even funkier taste. Bottle #3 was the same. I couldn't bring myself to even open Bottle #4. Did I finally experience skunked beer? I thought that was more common in highly hopped beers.

At $10 for the four pack, I hate to try it again for fear of wasting my hard-earned beer money.

2.71/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured brown from the bottle with about an inch of head; the head dissipated quickly and almost completely, leaving just a slight ring around the edge. Smell was sweet and alcoholic. I don't know how to describe the taste exactly. It's sweet up front followed by a kick of funkiness that is strange and unfamiliar to me. There's a bit of solvent and steel in the taste, I think. The first part of each sip is good, but the back end doesn't suit me.

Beer rating: 4.34 out of 5 with 6,599 ratings