Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 2,401 | Ratings: 6,394
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Pint bottle from Bevmo. Poured a dark brown that only a trace of light will shine thru. Head was tan and faded to about 1/4 inch and held. Aroma is strong with coffee, chocolate, anise and burnt toast. Flavor mirrored the aroma. Mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with light by effective carbonation. Hops were well integrated and hardly noticeable. Finish is long and smooth with some additional burnt cedar wood. Overall this is one great beer, my only complaint is that the bottle is too small, this should be served in a bomber.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with a nice one finger tan head. The head has good retention and forms decent lacing.

S: Very warm, toasty malts. Sweet molasses and caramel as well as dark fruit are very prevalent.

T: Not as much of a forward and strong taste as I was expecting. The smokiness and malts hit you first, followed by a very nice caramel sweetness. The dark fruits, cherries and figs I think, really hit you as you swallow. Even though the taste wasn't as strong as I expected from the nose, it is very well balanced and tasty.

M: Well carbonated and very smooth. Slightly thicker body, almost chewy in feel. Very enjoyable.

D: Excellent. I really enjoyed this beer and could definitely have a few with hesitating.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

I poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

Appearance: poured dark and thick with a two plus finger width of head however it dissipates fairly quickly, very dark red, black mostly in the glass when held to the light. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: good balance of hops and malt smells, towards the middle a more floral spice is noted.

Taste: Dark roasted notes with heavy and rich nutty malt taste. Hops are very subdued.

Mouth feel: somewhat thin compared to the look at the poor. Dark roasted caramel almost burnt.

Overall: I must say this is a great beer. The “double” makes it stout like while still retaining the caramel malt taste. I like to have this beer with a big filet and pan sauce.

I was actually dissapointed in this brew. I figured that I would be a shoe in for someone that would enjoy a good doppelbock, but nope.. wasn't for me.

I really liked the way it looked int he glass with it's tall head and dark color. There's even a nice red hue when you hold it up to the light. Then I smelled it. It smells bitterish kind of like a beligum beer, but not really. I'm terrible at explaining scents, it just smelled off. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Anyway, so I tasted the little thing :)

Little sour, little bitter. Malty, taste of oats and earth. Spicy aftertaste, warming.

I wasn't a fan, but I'm the vast majority, so who knows. Give it a shot.
I'll have to try another bottle in hopes that it'll be a little better.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Deep, dark burgundy. Dense head that coats the glass as it takes its time receding.

S: Rich fruity esters. Grassy notes come out with some warmth.

T: Round falvors. Dark fruits paired with bittersweet chocolate. Nice use of bittering hops. The estery smell pairs nicely with a subdued butterscotch tastes. Slight sourness in the aftertaste.

M: Perfect for this beer. Full bodied and coating, but not flat. A tough balance to pull off.

D: I can't imagine an occasion that wouldn't benefit from this beer. Even breakfast.

appearance - comes in a neat little brown 12oz-i mean 11.2-oz- bottle. one of my favorite bottles, im not sure why, maybe its the artwork and the little goat, or maybe its because i know whats inside.
pours thick and really dark, classic dopplebock.

taste - extremely good. i find its noticeably better sipped out of a glass than from the bottle. my first try i was a bit diasappointed, but it has grown better and better with each bottle. extremely rich, complex, malty, flavorful, straightforward dopplebock with no hoppiness or fruityness, just pure malty goodness. slight presence of coffee and indeed a nutty presence as well. perfectly balanced. this is my kind of beer.

drinkability - i didnt want my last bottle to stop. i wanted to savor every last drop of it. im giving it a 5 for drinkability also, its hard to put the thing down, you could chug the whole damn bottle so easily, or just as easily sip it away. this is the best that beer gets(for me anyway). 5's across the board.

UPDATE 8-09: have recently delved into dark beers again. tried the korbinian, a rival of celebrator. NO DOPPLEBOCK IS CLOSE TO THIS BEER. CELEBRATOR WINS

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

330ml bottle into Samuel Adams sensory glass. 3 finger creamy light brown head which reduces down to a light cap after a few minutes. Dark brown almost opaque color, though I note I can still see my fingers on the other side of the glass.

Aroma of caramel, toffee, and soy sauce which is weird and a tad bit off-putting. Tastes of roastiness, a bit sour and salty, resiny hops, all of which ride over a nice sweet maltiness underneath of fresh soft pretzel and plum. Interesting roastyness leads to light bitterness then fresh maltiness. Feels excellently balanced. Moderately long lightly bittersweet finish is nice.

Moderate carbonation feels crisp on the tongue with the initial roastiness. Medium light bodied mouthfeel. Drinkability is okay: tastes good and seems well balanced between the bitter roastiness and sweetish malt.

3.92/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

A- Dark caramel toned. a bit less than a fingers head, little to no retention. no lacing either.

S- Roasted malts, yeast, dark fruits, dark bitter chocolate.

T- Palate follows the nose a bit. Yeasty/Spiced bread, roasted malt and some toffee/dark bitter chocolate. some dark fruit undertones. Sweet and malty!

MF- Medium- medium/heavy body, smooth with a great medium carbonation. Finishes great with a dry warmth that sticks to your mouth. Feels like a belgian!

O- Not bad at all. I seen this beer a hundred times, never got around to it until now unfortunately. It is a great beer, but a bit too hyped up for my taste. The price was incredibly reasonable, so I jumped on it, and felt like trying something "out of the norm." Worth a try, but not to go out of your way for.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

A: Medium brown, lighter around the edges of the glass. Tan head consisting of many tiny bubbles tightly packed together.

S: Malt, brown sugar, biscuit.

T: Now, this is what I was expecting of a doppelbock. Sweet malty at first, then fades to dry hop aftertaste. Perfectly balanced and delicious.

M: Great.

D: Byebye Celebrator.

4.46/5  rDev +3%

( BA / BJCP)

Very dark brown, with some crimson red highlights when held to the light. very clear. Light tan head forms quickly, and stays a long while.
( 5 /3 )

Mild dark fruit, Light chocolate, heavy melanoidin, toasty malt. No hop aroma. Mildly sweet. Very light alcohol once warmed.
( 4 / 10 )

Rich toasty/crusty/melanoidin malt, light chocolate, rounded caramel, light roast, and a mild dark fruit. No hop flavor. Balance is towards the malt. Hop bitterness is enough to make the finish moderately dry, but the aftertaste here is pure malty sweetness.
( 4.5 / 18 )

Medium-full body, medium-light carbonation. Decadently creamy. No astringency. Light alcohol warmth
(5 /5 )

Very rich, complex, yet easy drinking beer. Flavors were bold, and the aromas were less assertive, but really enjoyable. Each component I though was truly complimentary to each other.
( 4.5 / 8 )

( 4.48 / 44)

Pretty disappointed in this beer.Its not a bad beer but desent color of brownish/black.Not much nose on it.Not to malty in your mouth,just a little bit to light.I read somewhere that this was the mother of all dopplebocks...not quite

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

The appearance is good, though pitch black, with a nice off white head. While the aroma is wonderful full of pumpernickel bread, chocolate and citrus, and a slight herb nature to it. All that comes out in the taste with chocolate so incredibly pronounced.

The mouthfeel is great although something does not feel quite right about it to me, while it is almost too flavorful to be incredibly drinkable.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

This pours out looking dark.The smell is a nice sweet aroma.It smells kinda malty W/ hint of choclate.This is good. YOU have to check this out fo sho!! The taste is creamy.Reminds me of something I've had before, but a some time ago(maybe Old nick)but not for sure.THis is with out a doubt smooth and has hints of fruit to taste. Ayinger does so well creating great beer.THis is terrific.Must buy more!!!!

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

I poured this into a Bordeaux wine glass.

A - dark and opaque, very little head on my pour.

S - Wow. Very pungent! I get whiffs of chocolate, molasses, and maybe raisins.

T - delish! Punchy, tastes of just what it smells lke (chocolate and molasses especially). Thick but smooth.

M - slight carbonation, and the taste hangs out for a while.

D - Wonderful beer here! Too "big" to drink fast, but rewards patience in savoring it!

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%

Wow. This is damn near a Baltic Porter, it's so dark. Everyone seems to have their own definition of doppelbock, and Ayinger thinks it should be rich, roasty, chocolatey, slightly bitter and really smooth. This one definitely deserves its world class reputation.

Poured into my favorite tasting snifter (how's that for pretentious). This is one that I really have to control myself with so I can enjoy every drop!

Very opaque with frothy head that never quits.

Smells malty, a great attribute for a beer of this genre'.

Tastes malt, molasses, some hop and very light alcohol. Fills your mouth with flavor.

Feels almost perfect. Smooth, creamy and coats the tounge perfectly.

One of my favorite beers to date! I have had a lot of beers in my years and I always look forward to my next Celebrator. VERY drinkable but a shame to drink quickly.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Pours a lightly translucent ruby red settling on burgundy with a nice cream colored head that quickly dissipated.

S - Huge aroma of sweet malt and ripe fruit including raisins, cherries, and plums was extremely inviting. I could not wait to taste this one.

T - The taste did not disappoint. Malt sweetness is noticeable from the start and is nicely complimented by the flavor of raisin, cherry, and plum. Finish had a slight metallic aftertaste that quickly vanished leaving the palate clean and making me anxious for another sip. Alcohol presence is completely masked by the robust flavor, but provides a nice warm sensation.

M - Mouthfeel is smooth and light with noticeable, but pleasant carbonation.

D - This beer is extremely pleasant to drink. Given the masking of the alcohol content, it would be easy to have too many.

Overall, I think this beer lives up to its billing. I found this one hard to put down and the aroma was fantastic. This was my first venture into this style and I'm sold.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Grabbed one of these last week and had a chance to indulge last night. 12 OZ. bottle poured into a pint glass. Very deep, dark color. Almost couldn't see through it even looking at a light. Thick rich creamy head that vanished rather fast. Very sweet, smelled almost exactly like a high dollar horse treat with oats and molasses and a hint of chocolate. Nice well balanced taste, with evidence of molasses and coffee-malts. Nice bite on the tongue that was gone quickly after going down. I could taste the alchohol somewhat, especially after the beer warmed up. Mellow, fluid mouthfeel. Not too thick. Great drinking beer and one of the better doppelbocks. Price was pretty salty, but then again it did travel a-ways.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the Tap room, By the Bottle in Vancouver, WA.

Pours a deep brown with a ruby tinge. Small light-brown head that dissipates quickly and leaves a small ring around the edge.

Big malts in the nose, with caramel and hops. Very rich and bready.

Again, strong malts, a little sweetness, and some hops, with grains throughout. Rich, strong, and tasty.

Smooth and thick, very creamy, with a little carbonation dancing on the tongue.

This beer exemplifies the "meal in a glass" name for doppelbocks. very strong, and very rich, but approachable and smooth. Definitely a credit to its style.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Wow. I can see why this beer is consistently in the top 20. It has a head that lasts forever. Underneath the foam is a dark thick brew that epitomizes everything I love about stouts and bocks with one interesting exception. I believe I could drink about 10 in a day with out blinking. A terrific introductory "dark" beer for new beer advocates (My friends and I are breaking in a new 21 year old)

It is about 3 bucks a bottle which is more than I usually pay for 11.2 ounces, but it is well worth it :)

--Joey

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Thick, off-white head that is long lasting. Dark brown body that is brilliantly clear.

S - Super high amount of sweentess from malt character. A toasty aroma is present. Little to no hop aroma detected. Perhaps a tiny amount of fruit ester.

T - Very rich malt flavor. Sweetness from malt is most evident and a toasty note exists. Not detecting any fruitiness, but a slight chocolate-like character. Possible, but hard, to detect alcohol. No hop flavor, but slight hop bitterness at finish. Balance is definitely towards malt sweetness.

M - Full to medium-full body. Medium carbonation.

D - No harshness, very smooth yet rich.

----

Probably one of the best examples of a German Doppelbock.

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to cptierney for getting this into my hands via an in house trade. he'd told me about this beer for quite a while, saying that I had, had, HAD to try it out. as a lover of browns, porters and stouts... he knew this would be right up my alley when I wanted something new... and good god was he right.

this beer pours with the look of a solid porter. deep brown with a light tan head that sticks around for a while. my glass was freshly rinsed, so the head retention may have been negatively affected by that, but there was not much retention to speak of.

smells of malts... malts, malts and more malts... to be completely honest, this beer smells like the mash tun on brew day... and I love it! that's not to say that it's overly sweet though. I would assume that enough dark... maybe chocolate malts are used to balance this out. really enjoyable flavor that changes from the moment it hits your lips to 5 minutes after you swallowed your last sip.

perfectly carbonated, I get a faint tingle from the floor to the roof of my mouth as I take it in. medium body that really leaves a nice coating behind. really enjoyable.

this is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had in my life. lower in ABV and higher in taste and overall enjoyability... that's coming from one who enjoys big beers much more than their counterpart... I really like this beer.

A- dark, dark, dark mocha/mahogany brown. Big, tan, frothy long lasting head. Very little lacing (if any).

S- nutty, chocolate, ginger, caramel.

T- deep dark chocolate (very much like high % cacao), fig, coffee. Sweetness up front, bitter on the back.

M- smooth, silky, medium body.

O- outstanding! Excellent! A great Dopplebock. Would absolutely recommend.

Cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

330 ml bottle, “6,7 % abv” let sit for 10 min to bring to around 45(ish) F. Some scoring of the bottom edge of the label. Don’t know if this is some sort of coded date or what. Poured into a oversized pils bubble glass.

Ayinger has become my favorite German producer that has a wide variety of styles, that I can find in these parts. So after a year or more of loveing up the Ur-Weisse, Dunkel & Kellerbier, it seems odd that I am just now getting around to trying there number one reviewed selection & one that I seem to have known by reputation for years at that.

Shows up as a dark roasted amber color, with shades of rose & deep maple tones. Healthy pillowed foamy head settles in. Certainly strikes a serious & stately appearance.

The abv & rich malt are very apparent in the nose up front. Sweet peppery wood & beef hints develop nicely as things move along.

Malt happiness fills the pallet at once. Mega luscious autumn squash, caramelized nut, earthy warmth all over the tongue. Slides into an equally balanced & rich hop bitter further on. Ends with perhaps just a bit of a sour tang, though if someone were to call this ‘skunky’ I might have to um… have some ‘words’ with the fellow.

Mouth feel is crisp & lively, keeping the flavor & aroma moving around on the pallet nicely. Slight hanging taste but nothing that another sip wont take care of. I could probably keep drinking this as far into the evening as I could afford.

The head dosn't stick around as long as I would like, & the abv is a lingering presence (7% me arse) but all in all, I would have to say the best double bock I have ever had. I don’t know if it will consistently be worth the $15/6 reputation its got around the tragically few shops that carry this jewel of a brew, but it is truly a lovely encounter.

Ave

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

A: A gentle pour produces the deepest of browns with red/yellows poking through in the light. 3/4 inch of dense, toasted head. "My apartment smells of rich mahogany" - Ron Burgandy. This is a great looking beer caught in a time warp.

S: "That's quite pungent". Good smells wafting to the olfactory. Rich molasses with sweet caramel malt Hops smell perfectly balanced with the malt. My barbaric senses can't pinpoint anything beyond although there some spices and maybe some plum.

T: I really thought the fruit would come out in the taste but I say say nay, it doesn't. Absolutely beautiful. Not sweet, but sugary molasses with surprisingly a lot of hops. Toasted malt as well. Some earthy spices and mild, mild aleish fruit esters poking through. All these things are PERFECTLY balanced.

M: A heavy beer but OH MY! More brilliance! The hops bring on a much needed bitterness creating the illusion of lightness.

D: Very drinkable for what it is.

Nothing revolutionary but it's impressively complex. A classic doppelbock that sets the bar.