Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany | website

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 2,386 | Ratings: 6,340

A- dark, dark, dark mocha/mahogany brown. Big, tan, frothy long lasting head. Very little lacing (if any).

S- nutty, chocolate, ginger, caramel.

T- deep dark chocolate (very much like high % cacao), fig, coffee. Sweetness up front, bitter on the back.

M- smooth, silky, medium body.

O- outstanding! Excellent! A great Dopplebock. Would absolutely recommend.

Cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

330 ml bottle, “6,7 % abv” let sit for 10 min to bring to around 45(ish) F. Some scoring of the bottom edge of the label. Don’t know if this is some sort of coded date or what. Poured into a oversized pils bubble glass.

Ayinger has become my favorite German producer that has a wide variety of styles, that I can find in these parts. So after a year or more of loveing up the Ur-Weisse, Dunkel & Kellerbier, it seems odd that I am just now getting around to trying there number one reviewed selection & one that I seem to have known by reputation for years at that.

Shows up as a dark roasted amber color, with shades of rose & deep maple tones. Healthy pillowed foamy head settles in. Certainly strikes a serious & stately appearance.

The abv & rich malt are very apparent in the nose up front. Sweet peppery wood & beef hints develop nicely as things move along.

Malt happiness fills the pallet at once. Mega luscious autumn squash, caramelized nut, earthy warmth all over the tongue. Slides into an equally balanced & rich hop bitter further on. Ends with perhaps just a bit of a sour tang, though if someone were to call this ‘skunky’ I might have to um… have some ‘words’ with the fellow.

Mouth feel is crisp & lively, keeping the flavor & aroma moving around on the pallet nicely. Slight hanging taste but nothing that another sip wont take care of. I could probably keep drinking this as far into the evening as I could afford.

The head dosn't stick around as long as I would like, & the abv is a lingering presence (7% me arse) but all in all, I would have to say the best double bock I have ever had. I don’t know if it will consistently be worth the $15/6 reputation its got around the tragically few shops that carry this jewel of a brew, but it is truly a lovely encounter.

Ave

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

A: A gentle pour produces the deepest of browns with red/yellows poking through in the light. 3/4 inch of dense, toasted head. "My apartment smells of rich mahogany" - Ron Burgandy. This is a great looking beer caught in a time warp.

S: "That's quite pungent". Good smells wafting to the olfactory. Rich molasses with sweet caramel malt Hops smell perfectly balanced with the malt. My barbaric senses can't pinpoint anything beyond although there some spices and maybe some plum.

T: I really thought the fruit would come out in the taste but I say say nay, it doesn't. Absolutely beautiful. Not sweet, but sugary molasses with surprisingly a lot of hops. Toasted malt as well. Some earthy spices and mild, mild aleish fruit esters poking through. All these things are PERFECTLY balanced.

M: A heavy beer but OH MY! More brilliance! The hops bring on a much needed bitterness creating the illusion of lightness.

D: Very drinkable for what it is.

Nothing revolutionary but it's impressively complex. A classic doppelbock that sets the bar.

4.36/5  rDev +0.7%

Deep brown with a tinge of red in the glass. Not a verry impressive head, but what was there left some sticky tan lace.

Wonderful, heavy boquet. Warm malt with a bit of toffee and chocolate.

The flavor is delicious. Malty and carmel from start to finish. There is a tiny bit of bitterness in the finish to take the candy edge off. Very well balanced and tasty. Did I say it tasted good too?

Nice mouthfeel. Nothing to complain about there.

Almost too drinkable. I could see killing a sixer of this and passing out. Good thing I don't have a sixer, but I do wish I had another.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Very dark brown with only the slightest hint of ruby hue when held to light. Nice brown head that held up for a bit and continuted to produce nice lacing all the way to the end.

S: Caramel, molasses, and a slight raisiny note. Maybe some date-style aroma in there as well. Outstanding.

T: The very best. Malty, caramel, molasses, sweetness balanced out with an unnoticeable hop prescence. Completely balanced.

M: Perfection with the carbonation. Slick feel to it. Very easy to drink.

D: The definition of a dopplebock. My favorite style of all time and I would arugue is possibly the best dopplebock in the world.

Poured into my favorite tasting snifter (how's that for pretentious). This is one that I really have to control myself with so I can enjoy every drop!

Very opaque with frothy head that never quits.

Smells malty, a great attribute for a beer of this genre'.

Tastes malt, molasses, some hop and very light alcohol. Fills your mouth with flavor.

Feels almost perfect. Smooth, creamy and coats the tounge perfectly.

One of my favorite beers to date! I have had a lot of beers in my years and I always look forward to my next Celebrator. VERY drinkable but a shame to drink quickly.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

It's a classic. I love the little goat. I should save them up and make a bock necklace.

Actually a little low on the ABV side, from what we're used to in modern takes on doppelbocks. Might actually be the lowest ABV doppelbock I've ever drank. Delicious and malty, though. It's between this and salvator for me.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Tried this for the first time tonight after eyeing this beer for months. The store around the corner from me has this stocked all the time, and I have always been curious about this beer. After seeing it in the BA top 50, I thought it was high time to try this beer.

Poured a dark hazelnut brown with a nice two-fingered pillowed head. This head was extraordinary, but soon dissapated, leaving traces along the glass as I drank.

The smell ofthis beer is very strong to me, and the initial taste provided some fruit, licorice, and nutty flavors, with a bite, followed by a strong alcohol aftertaste. This beer got more mellow as I drank it. This is a big beer. I have only had one or two dopplebocks in the last few years, so I really don't know how to intelligently review this. Every review I have read has stated that this is a good beer, and I would agree. A great beer with lots of flavor, though I would be hard pressed to drink more than a few in a sitting.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

A complex flavor which is not so complex as to compromise the enjoyment of the brew. Mouthfeel is somewhat thick and the smell is exceptional. The appearance is fantastic and makes me want to dive in. Relatively inexpensive to other top 20 brews, this one is highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

One of the greatest beers out there, simply put.

I've had this out of the bottle, poured into pint glasses, but by far my favorite is poured into a heavy chalice or goblet.

The beer pours a gorgeous reddish brown, with a heavy 2 finger head, that dies down, leaving a nice lace around the glass.

Scent brings out floral hop notes, along with a citrusy hint.

Taste is heavy in those notes, along with a sharp alcoholic cut that slices through the flavor, but doesn't leave a burn. When you're finished, you want more, but the beer doesn't allow you to drink too much due to it's heavy notes and overpowering mouthful. An all around classy beer, and definitely a favorite that is always stocked in my fridge. Cheers!

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a dark brown bottle (11.2 oz. I believe?) into a tall tulip glass. The label is great, gotta love the little plastic ram.

A: Pours a clean dark brown, almost opaque, with glimmers of ruby shining through when held to the light. Very clean, this is obviously a high quality brew. Poured vigorously, it will give up a nice beige head, but it didn't stick around for long.

S: Honestly, I didn't get much of an aroma from this one. There is a faint toasted bread smell coupled with that of roasted malt, but it's all very light.

T: The taste is everything I picked up from the aroma, simply magnified. At the front, I get sweet bread and cinnamon at the front, followed by a roasted malty flavor that reminds me of a good stout. The long finish has a coffee bitterness to it.

M: This is a very full-bodied beer, but it goes down really smoothly. The thick, oily texture goes well with slight prickles from the moderate carbonation, and the flavors are able to stick to the taste buds for quite some time. The ABV is on the low end of the range for this style, so there's not much of a warming sensation.

D: This is a very impressive example of a dopplebock. Rich and full-bodied, this beer has everything I could want on a cold or rainy day. Still, I think it's drinkable enough to suit any palate (even those who are turned off by "dark beers"). A supreme standard of quality shows through in the appearance, taste, and finish of this beer.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Pours a dark black color with a nice frothy tan head on top. Smells of caramel, coffee, molasses and cocoa. Nice smooth creamy mouthfeel with low carbonation, some hop bitterness, coffee, dark roasted malts, bread, cocoa. This beer is very good.. and it comes with a plastic little goat thing on the bottle.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Okay, finally time to review Celebrator. It pours just a shade off black with a fluffy tan head. A really dark doppelbock. The scent is really heavenly, with strong notes of toffee and burnt caramel.

The flavor profile is almost identical to the scent. Smooth toffee flavor with caramel as well. Roasted chewy malt upfront and Ripe green apples in the undertones. Ever so slight bitterness in the finish balances out the sweet toffee flavors. A superbly balanced beer, and quite complex as well.

I'm probably in the overwhelming minority on this, but if confronted with the choice, I'd take Paulaner's Salvator Doppelbock over the Celebrator. Nevertheless, Celebrator is clearly one of the finer beers made. It's wonderfully crafted and a must try for anyone that enjoys quality beer.

3.54/5  rDev -18.2%

Once upon a time, this would be considered the yardstick against which doppelbocks were to be measured. However, having recently had a Smuttynose S'muttonator, I must say that I was disappointed in having this, despite its advantage of being on draft, versus the Smutty in the bottle. Altogether, what I would expect of a doublebock, albeit less than the Smutty. A great beer, but I want more...

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

WOW....this was really good!
It poured a VERY dark red with a little tan head and very little carbonation. The smell is what I liked best because of the caramel & chocolate, smelled like the worlds best desert.
Taste was sweet (but not to sweet) and creamy with a hint of malt and I guess what would be a medium body
I really like this beer and plan on buying it again.(Happy Rookie)
I paid $8.99 for 4 bottles..

2.86/5  rDev -33.9%

It's a pretty decent looking, very dark brown doppelbock, with a good centimeter of creamy head when poured from the bottle, but it dissipates to about half that over a couple minutes. Lacing is pretty good, almost leaving thin sheets of foam down the side. The nose isn't particularly special, just malt and hops, no discernable alcohol aroma. The flavor isn't anything special either. It's pretty much what you'd expect from the nose. Malt, hops, bread. The mouthfeel is nice, thicker than many beers without being syrupy. The glowing reviews surprise me as I've found this to be a rather average beer. There are other doppelbocks that are considerably better than this one.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Pilsener glass.

A - Deep ruby red body, average sized tan head. Bubbles shoot from the bottom into the abyss of the glass one by one.

S - Powerful gust of malts. Aged berries blanket a fruity hop character. Yeast is there.

T - Aroma and taste are different, but compliment eachother so nicely. Taste consists of rich dark malts, again darker fruits dominate the hop character. Slight chocolate with a hint of caramel highlights, finished with a bittersweet backbone.

M - Creamy, smooth, carbonated.

D - Aging 2 and using the other to marinade a steak but is extremely drinkable. Smooth and rewarding.

Remarkable brew with a substantial dosage of flavor. Very important for any lover of this style to pick this up for a try.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Cola-colored liquid with off-white head. Head rose high than quick fizzled down to a thin layer over the beer. Not part of the beer, but an added nod for the cute goat ornament adorning every bottle.

Smell: Sweet malty aroma, hint of raisin or cherry. Refreshing hop notes as well.

Taste: Lightly toasted malt flavor, subtle raisin sweetness, and a closing bit of hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, enjoyable brew. Barely noticeable aftertaste; somewhat of a malt/hop wrestling match going on with maltiness winning out in the end.

Drinkability: As drinkable as water but much more delicious. Low ABV for a Doppelbock and surprisingly complex palate. Available in 4-packs of 330ml but at a price where four Weihenstephan Korbinian 16.9oz singles are actually cheaper. A tough choice to make.

Prolly best doppel i have had to date, but doppels are in my bottom third of fav styles. Everything on this beer is decent, nice look, okay smell, alright taste. This beer is above average for its style. A good doppel, use this beer to compare to others as well.
A-

A: Deep mahogany with a perfect two-finger tan head. Mouth-wateringly good-looking.

S: The sweet bread-like maltiness as well as caramel really permeate the air, and the hoppy spice is immediately noticeable, too. It's heavenly.

T: Fan. Tastic. Rich, complex malty taste of yeast and caramel, with a molasses-like sweetness. It's the kind of taste that never, ever gets old or boring.

M: It flows so smoothly over the tastebuds with reckless abandon. The carbonation is pretty muted, which is wonderful for my tastes.

D: Any time of the day or night, it's wonderful. I don't think I could ever tire of it. The taste and aftertaste is enough goodness to make a grown beer enthusiast cry.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into glass dark brown with just a glow around the edges. Off white head that quickly dissapated. No hop smell only malts and baked fruit. Nice and malty flavor with the alcohol vapors warming the sinuses. Mellow bitterness that does not linger. Slightly carbonated to make the initial pull light but soon you get the feeling that this beer could fill you up.
Loved the beer for the price.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Very dark mahogany, with 1-inch mocha head that persisted well. Beautiful lacing for a dark beer.

Clean, fruity aroma, a hint of malt.

Very subtle mix of roasted coffee, cocao, chicory.

Mouth feel had carbonation at the front of the tongue. Satisfyingly substantial for such a subtle-tasting brew. A pleasant alcoholic nip at the back of the throat.

I'm glad I encountered this classic double bock, and look forward to drinking it many more times in the future.

Glassware: Mug

Appearance: Opaque, like a dark roast coffee, with a thick, tan head.

Smell: bread-ish with a strong and sweet molasses smell, also some aromas reminiscient of dark cherry. Some spicy notes in the background.

Taste: Opens with roasted flavors; then, a very balanced middle...bitterness equaled by the molasses/roasted malt taste. Ends dry with a dark chocolate and (as it warms) coffee taste. Mellow throughout but interesting and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Mine had pretty low carbonation; medium-bodied with a slick feel.

Overall: Solid brew...No faults. Not a big or intense beer, it was more mellow than I was expecting, but I enjoyed it and will certainly have again.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Opaque brown. Slight tints of reddish brown. Nice beige head.

S - Malt balls. Bread. Raisins.

T - Grainy bread. Malt. Dates. Slight toffee sweetness. Mild bitterness.

M - Medium bodied. Sweet.

O - What a dank beer! Super smooth and easy to drink. Yet it has all of the big malty flavors and bready sweetness. Will definitely be drinking again.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can you say molasses?

Had this beer while sampling several bocks. Of all of the bocks we tried, this was my favorite.

I tend to stay away from sweeter beers and bocks typically have that sweetness. This had a wonderfully bittersweet molasses aroma and flavor.

Respectable appearance-much darker than most bocks.