Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Ratings: 6,500 |  Reviews: 2,434
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

So why review this well-known beer? Aw, whatever, its damn good!

Dark night color with a thick head that dissipates quickly - head takes on a tan/dirty cream color leaving some thin lines of stain off of fairly coating lace.

Smells of impressive slightly roasted wheat and malt nose that opens to hearty nuttiness. Something else in the nose that i can’t describe – floral as well as pistachio nut.

Some roasted malt on the tongue but mostly a darkened wheat and malt flavor with some creamy tone. The strong point appears to me to be the (seeming) wheatiness that is roasted enough but the pure wheat flavor still exists. Truly, its nothing more than nutty, malty flavors that build on top of each other. You might call it mukry with all those roast and malt flavors, but I find it as delectable, complex, hearty, and drinkable as a doppelbock can get. Sometimes, the bottled version mildly tingles on your tongue, with a taste of a dark cheese with earthy, sour fruitiness to it (?!), but not always. Soft yet thick feel on the tongue that comes along with a sprightly hops bitterness in the high back mouth.

Easily understandable as a described "world classic." Drank MUCH BETTER in a small snifter glass as opposed to a stein or large tulip glass.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

330 ml bottle. Celebrator pours out a very dark brown color with a huge, dense head. Intricate layers of lacing are left on my glass as I drink. The aroma is caramel, chocolate, and nuts. Big bready malt flavor. Some caramel, and just a hint of chocolate. There is also a nutty flavor that I can't get enough of. Finishes with subtle, spicy hops. Perfectly balanced and quite complex. Mouthfeel is so smooth. I can't detect any alcohol. This is a classic, world class dopplebock.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a fantastic beer. From beginning to end it is great in every aspect.
I starts with medium brown color and one finger tan head. Lacing all the way down the glass.
The smell is just amazing. It smells like caramel being heated up.
Taste is a little more bitter than the smell. It is creamy and smooth.
I could drink this all year long, but it is perfect for cool fall evening.

4.59/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From notes taken 03/13/16:

Clear but very dark red-hued brown, fairly viscous. Head is creamy and fine-bubbled. Only moderate retention at first but leaves a film for the duration. Smells like dark fruit, especially dates, but some berry suggestions as well, lots of brown sugar, a little molasses. Toffee, dark fruit, molasses, anise, toast to the taste. Any hops in this are all but lost in light roasty/smokey character. Booze is well-disguised, even when it comes to warmth. Full-bodied, syrupy, loaded with fine suds, velvety.

Very good beer, probably the best Doppelbock I've tried so far. So good I went out and bought some more less than a week after making my initial notes. Alas, the one I reviewed here was a 7.1% ABV and I probably had it for a year already, whereas the new ones are all 6.7% and fresh. Not anywhere near as good, I've already tasted one, will review one of the next three in an update to this review. Not awful either, fortunately.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

11.2oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

A: Pours a dark and I mean dark amber, this one almost looks like a stout. A tightly packed inch and a half tan head bubbles down to a cap and stays around. This one leaves sticky lacing all the way down the glass.

S: They were not kidding about the malts on this one, nice and sweet sugary aromas brown sugar and carmel, nice but not quite as inviting as I would have hopped.

T.MF: Not to much carbonation felt, this one did bubble over when I popped the cap off which I though was a bit strange. Has a very toasty and nutty taste balanced with a good amount of fruity sweetness with a hint of tobacco lingering around in the end, but make no mistake this beer is about malt. Another great thing about this beer is that after a few sips the beer begins to take on richer characteristics, the nutty flavors become more pronoucned and sweet with a nice buttery aftertaste. I don't know what it is but the further I get into drinking this the better the beer becomes.

D: I didn't what this one to end and I got happier with it the further along I got into drinking it, the only qualm I have with this one is that it felt a little flat on the tongue, other than that this one is perfect on the inside.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Look: Dark lavender body. Sticky, persistent, beige head.
Smell: Figs and cola.
Taste: Figs and watery cola.
Feel: Smooth and creamy. Superior finish.

Overall - I have not had this style too many times, nor, am I a big fan, but I am able to identify a top-notch, well-made beer. This is one of them.

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.92/5  rDev -9.5%

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a black / mahagony with a nice creamy lasting tan head. Aroma of sweet toasted caramel malts, dark dried fruit. Taste is a combination of sweet toasted malts dark fruits, raisins, some slight chocaltiness. Palate is nice full body, good carbonation, smooth creamy oily texture. Finish is toasted caramel malt, a lingering tangy flavor of dark fruits with some slight bitterness for balance. Overall a very nice and complex DB. Very enjoyable and tasty brew.

4.72/5  rDev +9%

Got this from Belmont Beverage and opened from a bottle. So cold in SB that it was ready to be drank from my closet.

A - Very dark chocolate brown, almost opaque but can see plumish hues to it as well. A nice thick creamy, bubbly head that left lacing down the glass.

S- alot of sweetness coming off of this one as well; smell mixtures of fruit, mostly the grape and plum. Also a bit of chocolate and toffee like sensations.

T - wow this is a really good beer that literally blew me away the first time I put my mouth on it. Loads of malt in it and can taste sweetness but it is not at all overpowering. The taste is a lot of plum, brown sugar, molasses is there too. Rather sweet but it is not at all overpoweringly sweet; it is actually rather well balanced as well. The aftertaste is a little less plummy but that is mostly what I note; also a nice warming alcohol taste which is necessary to offset some of the sweetness. Leaves a nice roasted flavor in the mouth as well.

MF - A light carbonation, not too sticky either; a little bit thin but pretty good. Leaves a slight tingly aspect on your tongue.

D - For such a big beer this is very drinkable. I think I could drink these one after another and definitely one that I would pick up again if I saw it out lying it around. A definite must buy if you see it lying around. Plus you get those white goats on the bottles! Agree with the one guy down below that this is one beer that I drank a lot faster than I thought I would.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%