Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 2,393 | Ratings: 6,365

Prolly best doppel i have had to date, but doppels are in my bottom third of fav styles. Everything on this beer is decent, nice look, okay smell, alright taste. This beer is above average for its style. A good doppel, use this beer to compare to others as well.
A-

A: Deep mahogany with a perfect two-finger tan head. Mouth-wateringly good-looking.

S: The sweet bread-like maltiness as well as caramel really permeate the air, and the hoppy spice is immediately noticeable, too. It's heavenly.

T: Fan. Tastic. Rich, complex malty taste of yeast and caramel, with a molasses-like sweetness. It's the kind of taste that never, ever gets old or boring.

M: It flows so smoothly over the tastebuds with reckless abandon. The carbonation is pretty muted, which is wonderful for my tastes.

D: Any time of the day or night, it's wonderful. I don't think I could ever tire of it. The taste and aftertaste is enough goodness to make a grown beer enthusiast cry.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into glass dark brown with just a glow around the edges. Off white head that quickly dissapated. No hop smell only malts and baked fruit. Nice and malty flavor with the alcohol vapors warming the sinuses. Mellow bitterness that does not linger. Slightly carbonated to make the initial pull light but soon you get the feeling that this beer could fill you up.
Loved the beer for the price.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Very dark mahogany, with 1-inch mocha head that persisted well. Beautiful lacing for a dark beer.

Clean, fruity aroma, a hint of malt.

Very subtle mix of roasted coffee, cocao, chicory.

Mouth feel had carbonation at the front of the tongue. Satisfyingly substantial for such a subtle-tasting brew. A pleasant alcoholic nip at the back of the throat.

I'm glad I encountered this classic double bock, and look forward to drinking it many more times in the future.

Glassware: Mug

Appearance: Opaque, like a dark roast coffee, with a thick, tan head.

Smell: bread-ish with a strong and sweet molasses smell, also some aromas reminiscient of dark cherry. Some spicy notes in the background.

Taste: Opens with roasted flavors; then, a very balanced middle...bitterness equaled by the molasses/roasted malt taste. Ends dry with a dark chocolate and (as it warms) coffee taste. Mellow throughout but interesting and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Mine had pretty low carbonation; medium-bodied with a slick feel.

Overall: Solid brew...No faults. Not a big or intense beer, it was more mellow than I was expecting, but I enjoyed it and will certainly have again.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Opaque brown. Slight tints of reddish brown. Nice beige head.

S - Malt balls. Bread. Raisins.

T - Grainy bread. Malt. Dates. Slight toffee sweetness. Mild bitterness.

M - Medium bodied. Sweet.

O - What a dank beer! Super smooth and easy to drink. Yet it has all of the big malty flavors and bready sweetness. Will definitely be drinking again.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can you say molasses?

Had this beer while sampling several bocks. Of all of the bocks we tried, this was my favorite.

I tend to stay away from sweeter beers and bocks typically have that sweetness. This had a wonderfully bittersweet molasses aroma and flavor.

Respectable appearance-much darker than most bocks.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle (4-pack)

A: deep reddish brown, poured into a pint glass, had about 1-2 cm head, only slight lacing

S: strong on the fruity/raisin-like notes

T: Exceedingly smooth, slight hint of bitterness to complement the overarching fruity maltiness notes in the beer

M: slight carbonation

O: Could drink this all day, so, so smooth, exceptional doppelbock, although I am a doppelbock fan

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It pours a nice dark color with an aroma of caramel malt tones. It has a bit of sweetness to it, but is well blended at the finish. It is going to be a favorite doppelbock on my list.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

I love the bottle with the goats. I can't wait until I put up my little beer christmas tree so I can hang the goats on it. Anyway back to the beer. The color is a dark ruby color and the head came out with a nice thickness that went away and the lacing is very sparce to almost none. The smell is very malty with a hint of toffee. The taste has lots of malt with hints of toffee, figs, chocolate and probably several other things. The mouthfeel is nice as the malt seems to stick to your tounge and leaves a very pleasant aftertaste. I really enjoy this beer and I could enjoy lots of it if I had it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

After gentle decanting into my glass, the head continues to grow. It's tan and dense. It slowly shrinks leaving some lacing. The beer itself is a dark ruby-cola color.

The smell during the pour is chocolate, sweet malt, and alcohol. The taste bears that out. It has dried fruit (although not really fruity), prune, and other sweetness. It's balanced off by the roasty chocolate and coffee flavors. There could be a slight acidic edge. Amazing. Little hop aroma or bitterness. Some hop flavor. Bitterness arises from the roasted malt.

The mouthfeel... it's full. Almost sticky, but not. It feels your mouth but keeps you wanting more. After my first, I easily could keep drinking. It doesn't go down super fast, but it's still really, really nice. Great beer.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Appearance is dark brown with a small tan head. The body is a deep red when held to the light. The smell is of roasted malt, chocolate and some coffee. Nice aroma. The taste is a nice combination of sweet malt, coffee and raisins. Slight bitterness comes in at the end. Mouthfeel is very smooth and medium to full bodied. Very drinkable but filling. Overall, a delicious and complex beer.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Big head, with caramel colored bubbles around the edge of the glass, decent retention. Black in color at a distance, but upon closer inspection a deep very dark brow, with a hint of tawny and inviting bubbles.

S: Toasted malt, roasted nuts, and revealing spice.

T: Velvety and highly textured. Big malt flavor with developing roasted nuts, spice, and hint of molasses.

M: Rolls onto the palate with a creamy texture.

D: Very good for a beer with a flavor this big.

A king among doppelbocks. I would take abath in this if I could afford it!

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

This is one easy drinking beer. Great flavor and color, typical doppelbock colors. The head is really nice and smooth, really nice feel in the mouth. It really has some depth with some oak flavors and smoothness. Once again, like most of my reviews, great with German cheese and crackers or bread. Yes, there are other cheeses, but why change. This beer is my constant goto beer. Just pour it in and enjoy!

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

I first encountered this beer when I lived in Texas a couple of years ago. I was having a birthday party and my brother-in-law invited some of his friends around with the remit: "He likes dark beer".

They had picked this up at the Central Market in Dallas, along with another beer, which was obviously not as impressive since I don't remember it.

Wow, if only all the birthday presents I'd received over the years were of similar quality to this one. My brother-in-law was only partially correct: I did like dark beer, but not only dark beer. I liked good beer. It just so happens that a lot of good beers are also, coincidentally dark.

Personally, I think that no matter which system you might devise to judge the worth of a beer, Celebrator would come out favourably. It's just one of those beers, you taste and say: "Yea. That's class." I said it two years ago and I said exactly the same thing again on renewing my acquaintance with the beer tonight.

If you like dark, great looking beer with a caramelly taste and a slightly above average abv, seek out some Celebrator.

Currently, this is ranked only third best within its style. I'd like to meet Two and One.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

this poured a dark brown. any darker and it would be stout like. it is almost a reddish orange round the edges. had a nice two finger head.

aroma is a sweet molasses. there are toffee tones. hints of malts and barley are there as well.

to tell the truth, i was expecting a lot more. maybe it is because i am not the biggest doppelbock fan. the sweetness from the smell makes it way into the taste. there are sweet fruit tones there as well. don't get me wrong, this is a very tasty brew.

this was a tasty brew. i would like to try this one again. maybe it was just a weird night, because I am sure this beer deserves all the praise that it gets

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

Very dark brown (almost blood red when held up to the light). Nice 1-finger light brown head that meanders atop the brew before slightly dissipating into a nice lace that embraces the rim of the glass.

The smell, right off the bat is huge whiffs of fruit smack you pleasantly in the face. Hints of cherries and raisins? Some dark spiced fruits perhaps?

The taste is malt all the way. Very earthy and herbal flavors. Decent levels of bitterness to complement the malts. Malts come off as slightly doughy/nutty as well.

Mouthfeel is pleasant. Medium (approaching thick) bodied with mild (but good) levels of carbonation on the palate.

This is THE Dopplebock to drink. Easy to find (at least in my experience) and a complete joy to drink. Do not pass it up if you see, doing so and you'll miss out on one of the finest beers in existence.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance - Dark cascading looks with medium sized bubbles.

Smell - Sweet malt smell with hints of alcohol.

Taste - Slight smoky wood flavor with slight sweetness towards the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with smooth texture.

Overall, flavorful and drinkable. Very enjoyable.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

This beer poured very dark with no head into a snifter. (I was able to raise a frothy tan head on the second glass - but it didn't linger) It gave chocolate, oats, coffee, and malt aromatics and went down silkily smooth.

This beer has a low carbonation and high drinkability. Once in your mouth, earthy and bitter tastes come forward and move into the aftertaste - with a bite of alcohol at the end.

I am new to the Doppelbock style, so I cannot compare it to its kindred. As a stand-alone example, I was very pleased.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

WOW! I can't believe I have never had one of these before

11.2oz brown bottle. poured a deeep brown with copper hues to it. nice fluffy 2 finger cream head with a tint of brown, that simmered down to a wispy lace.

smell is so inviting. sweet malts, roasted malts, a touch of hops, caramel notes to it as well.

taste: Wow. deeelicious. kinda toasty tasting (if i can say that) a bit of bread flavor also. i almost taste some fruits, like dates or figs. just really good

very smooth. feels almost chewy. light carbonation.

This is one (sorry ahead of time for cursing) f*cking delicious beer. I wish I could buy a case of this stuff. I have been mainly into craft beers. Im starting to get into dopples after having an aventinus and now this. WoW. Schroeder's here I come!!

Cheers

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

Beer is in a simple yet elegant bottle. Label has 2 rams on it for a classic touch. The beer pours to almost black with just a touch of red in it. There are nearly 3 fingers of head that slowly goes back to a thin layer. There is no lace left on the side of the glass. The aroma is very complex with the malt hitting the nose the hardest with a emphasis on a sweetness. This beer is one of the best tasting doppelbocks that I have ever tried. The taste is very malty and sweet, with the fruits coming though in abundance. This is a full bodied beer. This is one of the best doppelbocks that I have ever had.

in the low light the beer appeared straight black, with a minimal head, but good, brownish, clingy lace.

brown sugar and caramel in the nose, with some faint chocolate notes, and bafflingly, a hint of old, dusty books(!).

moderately thick mouthfeel. not too thick, not too thin. any thicker and the brew would be far less drinkable.

initial flavors of clean malt, sugary and syrupy, followed by molasses and caro syrup, and ending with a faint burnt sugar in the background. no real hop presence to speak of.

i prefer balanced beers, but doppelbocks aren't supposed to be balanced, and the heavy malt flavors were appropriate for the style. that said, i don't anticipate going back for another anytime soon. lagers can sometimes be a bit too linear for me; i prefer the layered complexity of ales. but this is not a suggestion that the celebrator is of inferior quality; it's just my subjective preferences coming through. the beer is highly drinkable ... if you're only having one. any more than that and i suspect the malt would become far too cloying.

s.d.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

It poured out a dark, almost chocolate, brown. The tan colored head diminished quickly but left a nice trace throughout the duration.

Overall, a pleasant aroma that has a nice malt scent to it. A second whiff reveals a scent similar to coffee.

The first sip was dominated by the delicious malt flavor. It has an almost chocolate-like taste, with a hint of caramel and molasses. With only a very moderate carbonation, it goes gown extremely smooth and has a dry creamy finish to it. Without a doubt, this is the best doppelbock that I have had.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a nice bottle that I like to keep a couple of in my cabinet at all times. Celebrator by Ayinger is made by the best brewery in the world; Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer in Aying, Germany makes the worlds best beer, Ayinger Brau Weisse. Oh lord, thank you for Ayinger Brau Weisse. What a perfect drink. I drink more IPA's than anything, so Ayinger isn't my daily drinker. Anyhow...I'm a lover of the hops, but all in all, Ayinger gets it done right...all the time!

Celebrator pours nice and chocolaty. It's nice and dark with some roasted malt, but a nice smooth and dry finish. This isn't dry dry, but just a tad dry. I'd, maybe surprisingly, compare the mouth feel to Chimay Grande which is a bit dry, but nice and full. Mmmm...the light roast blends so nicely with the complex fruits of this Bock. Thinking about it more, it's a bit lighter in mouth feel as compared to Chimay, but more malt and roastiness. Note: Yes, Chimay Grande and Celebrator are two very different types of beers, but for some reason I like to mention the best characteristics of the best beers for that particular characteristic even if they aren't similar beers. I guess this points out my preferred characteristics too eh;)

Well...I don't know what to say more. I can definitely taste the "Ayinger" in this one. Mmmmm good! A really nice brown sugar spiced up with a nice, flowery but every so slightly there hop. Mmmm mmm. You can tell how much I'm enjoying a drink by how many times I type "mmm." This bottle is too darn small. MMM!

This is my first dopplebock, so I'm not really familiar with the style.

On first taste, the intense malt flavor shines through, which I really liked. There is a bitterness in the fade that reminds me of toasted caramel. This one sort of reminds me of a semi-stout; and I'm not too fond of that style, as I think they are too bitter. Being my first dopplebock, I can't tell if this (bitterness) is indicative of the style or not.