Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Ratings: 6,507 |  Reviews: 2,435
4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

330 ml bottle. Celebrator pours out a very dark brown color with a huge, dense head. Intricate layers of lacing are left on my glass as I drink. The aroma is caramel, chocolate, and nuts. Big bready malt flavor. Some caramel, and just a hint of chocolate. There is also a nutty flavor that I can't get enough of. Finishes with subtle, spicy hops. Perfectly balanced and quite complex. Mouthfeel is so smooth. I can't detect any alcohol. This is a classic, world class dopplebock.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a fantastic beer. From beginning to end it is great in every aspect.
I starts with medium brown color and one finger tan head. Lacing all the way down the glass.
The smell is just amazing. It smells like caramel being heated up.
Taste is a little more bitter than the smell. It is creamy and smooth.
I could drink this all year long, but it is perfect for cool fall evening.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: [4.25] Dark. It looks black but has brilliant red hues when held up to a light. Looks blood red. Forms almost 2 fingers of dense khaki head. The bottle lists the ABV (6.7%). I can't find date info.

S: [3.75] Caramel, toffee, tobacco. Lots of sugary malt aroma.

T: [4.00] Follows the nose with more caramelized malts. The caramel flavor is smooth and not overly sweet. More toffee (but no tobacco). Has a complex brown bread flavor.

M: [3.75] Creamy and smooth with medium body. Has a hearty malt finish.

O: [3.75] This is a nice robust beer. Hearty malt bill all of the way through. The mouthfeel steps up the beer another notch. I really like this one, compared to other German styles. Lots of complexity. Good malt bill. It is almost a malt bomb - where a lot of the brews I drink tend to be heavy on hops.

11.2oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

A: Pours a dark and I mean dark amber, this one almost looks like a stout. A tightly packed inch and a half tan head bubbles down to a cap and stays around. This one leaves sticky lacing all the way down the glass.

S: They were not kidding about the malts on this one, nice and sweet sugary aromas brown sugar and carmel, nice but not quite as inviting as I would have hopped.

T.MF: Not to much carbonation felt, this one did bubble over when I popped the cap off which I though was a bit strange. Has a very toasty and nutty taste balanced with a good amount of fruity sweetness with a hint of tobacco lingering around in the end, but make no mistake this beer is about malt. Another great thing about this beer is that after a few sips the beer begins to take on richer characteristics, the nutty flavors become more pronoucned and sweet with a nice buttery aftertaste. I don't know what it is but the further I get into drinking this the better the beer becomes.

D: I didn't what this one to end and I got happier with it the further along I got into drinking it, the only qualm I have with this one is that it felt a little flat on the tongue, other than that this one is perfect on the inside.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Look: Dark lavender body. Sticky, persistent, beige head.
Smell: Figs and cola.
Taste: Figs and watery cola.
Feel: Smooth and creamy. Superior finish.

Overall - I have not had this style too many times, nor, am I a big fan, but I am able to identify a top-notch, well-made beer. This is one of them.

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.92/5  rDev -9.5%

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a black / mahagony with a nice creamy lasting tan head. Aroma of sweet toasted caramel malts, dark dried fruit. Taste is a combination of sweet toasted malts dark fruits, raisins, some slight chocaltiness. Palate is nice full body, good carbonation, smooth creamy oily texture. Finish is toasted caramel malt, a lingering tangy flavor of dark fruits with some slight bitterness for balance. Overall a very nice and complex DB. Very enjoyable and tasty brew.

4.72/5  rDev +9%

Got this from Belmont Beverage and opened from a bottle. So cold in SB that it was ready to be drank from my closet.

A - Very dark chocolate brown, almost opaque but can see plumish hues to it as well. A nice thick creamy, bubbly head that left lacing down the glass.

S- alot of sweetness coming off of this one as well; smell mixtures of fruit, mostly the grape and plum. Also a bit of chocolate and toffee like sensations.

T - wow this is a really good beer that literally blew me away the first time I put my mouth on it. Loads of malt in it and can taste sweetness but it is not at all overpowering. The taste is a lot of plum, brown sugar, molasses is there too. Rather sweet but it is not at all overpoweringly sweet; it is actually rather well balanced as well. The aftertaste is a little less plummy but that is mostly what I note; also a nice warming alcohol taste which is necessary to offset some of the sweetness. Leaves a nice roasted flavor in the mouth as well.

MF - A light carbonation, not too sticky either; a little bit thin but pretty good. Leaves a slight tingly aspect on your tongue.

D - For such a big beer this is very drinkable. I think I could drink these one after another and definitely one that I would pick up again if I saw it out lying it around. A definite must buy if you see it lying around. Plus you get those white goats on the bottles! Agree with the one guy down below that this is one beer that I drank a lot faster than I thought I would.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours dark brown, almoust black, with a one finger high, creamy, beige head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Nose: Caramel malt, molasses, toffe, coffe, dark chocolate, plum, dark fruit, nuts, raisin, butter, pepper and brown sugar.
Taste: Dark bread, dark syrup, nuts, dark fruit (raisin, plum), a hint of roasted malt, molasses, tobacco, brown sugar, liquorice, ginger, carnation, vanilla, oak and orange.
Body: Full, rich body. Complex, oily texture. Nice carbonation. Bitter end (that balance the sweetness). Beatiful beer!

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Thanks to BigLove for this addition on our first trade....
Pours a dark brown color with a full finger and a half of light tan head...disappears quite rapidly and produces very little lace.
Nice aromas...rum raisins, a hint of smoke, and roasted malt.
A very pleasant taste and perfectly balanced for the style...an earthy flavor and not overdone in any one category. All of the things detected in the nose make their way into the taste and the mouthfeel, while thin, is very smooth. Carbonation is perfect and this one goes down oh so easily.
Alcohol is nowhere to be found...
I can see why this one gets so much praise...one of the best I've had and one I will go to on any given occasion.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%