Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock
4.34/5
Outstanding
Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Doppelbock

A beer that has a dominant malty taste. This beer’s origins in a monk’s recipe are reflected in its heartiness. The Pope of Beers, Conrad Seidl, describes it as: “Almost black with a very slight red tone, a sensational, festive foam and truly extraordinary fragrance that at first summons up visions of greaves lard. The first taste is of mild fullness with an accompanying coffee tone, which becomes more dominant with the aftertaste. There is very little of the sweetness that is frequently to be tasted with doppelbock beer.” The Ayinger Celebrator has been ranked among the best beers of the world by the Chicago Testing Institute several times and has won numerous medals.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

#384

Ratings: 6,615 |  Reviews: 2,461
3.95/5  rDev -9%

Pours a deep mahogany with a tan, 1" head that lasts a few minutes and doesn't leave a whole lot of lacing.

Smells of sweet, almost chocolaty malts.

Tastes much the same as the smell, with a clean malty finish. This could be a good after dinner drink. Nice mouthfeel: not too heavy,but I would like just a little more hop.

Although I'm not a fan of this style (with the exception of Aventinus), this beer impressed me. I can see why so many people give it high marks. I'm encouraged to explore other brews from this style.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a very dark color with ruby highlights. Big, foamy, tan head that falls slow. Nice sticky lace.

Nose is all malts. Sweet.

Big malt taste. Sweet but with hop flavor present. Hop is mild though so no bitterness obviously. This brew is all malt, yeasty and bread-like.

Medium bodied and chewy in the mouth.

Awesome malty brew.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a fantastic beer. From beginning to end it is great in every aspect.
I starts with medium brown color and one finger tan head. Lacing all the way down the glass.
The smell is just amazing. It smells like caramel being heated up.
Taste is a little more bitter than the smell. It is creamy and smooth.
I could drink this all year long, but it is perfect for cool fall evening.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

So why review this well-known beer? Aw, whatever, its damn good!

Dark night color with a thick head that dissipates quickly - head takes on a tan/dirty cream color leaving some thin lines of stain off of fairly coating lace.

Smells of impressive slightly roasted wheat and malt nose that opens to hearty nuttiness. Something else in the nose that i can’t describe – floral as well as pistachio nut.

Some roasted malt on the tongue but mostly a darkened wheat and malt flavor with some creamy tone. The strong point appears to me to be the (seeming) wheatiness that is roasted enough but the pure wheat flavor still exists. Truly, its nothing more than nutty, malty flavors that build on top of each other. You might call it mukry with all those roast and malt flavors, but I find it as delectable, complex, hearty, and drinkable as a doppelbock can get. Sometimes, the bottled version mildly tingles on your tongue, with a taste of a dark cheese with earthy, sour fruitiness to it (?!), but not always. Soft yet thick feel on the tongue that comes along with a sprightly hops bitterness in the high back mouth.

Easily understandable as a described "world classic." Drank MUCH BETTER in a small snifter glass as opposed to a stein or large tulip glass.

11.2oz brown bottle

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock was a deep mahogany color with a tan head. The head had good retention and left some spotty lacing. The aroma was toasty with toffee and caramel. The taste was very malty with molasses, dried fruit, and chocolate. It was sweet upfront with a semi-dry finish. It was medium-full bodied with nice carbonation. Drinkability was excellent. This beer is definitely worth trying.

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

I thought I knew what good beer was...but that was until today. I have to hand it to the Germans, this was one damn good beer.

Full disclosure - I am a dark beer, stout, porter, dopplebock kinda guy - so I am partial to these types of beers. I have had plenty of them and thought I knew what a good instance of one would be. Boy, was I wrong. This Ayinger Celebrator was an experience unlike any other. Served in a goblet, it had a black but still appealing hue of darkness, a decent head, but little staying power (admittedly something I easily overlooked). The smell was not necessarily anything that was memorable, but it didn't have any of the other "heavy" odors of dark beers. The feel was truly smooth, silky, and easy to be sessionable. But what simply blew me away was the taste - by God - I can't say enough about it. It was unlike any other dopplebock I have had. If given the chance I would probably drink this stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (but I suppose it's a good thing I don't.) Overall, it was by far the best beer I've had in a very long time, if not the best ever.

UPDATE: 12 August 2016
This is still the best damned beer I have had to date. And now, after having as many as I have had, I can tell you there is a hint of honey to the brew. So not only delicious, but a hint of sweetness to it. Damn, the Germans really know how to make beer.

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

330 ml bottle. Celebrator pours out a very dark brown color with a huge, dense head. Intricate layers of lacing are left on my glass as I drink. The aroma is caramel, chocolate, and nuts. Big bready malt flavor. Some caramel, and just a hint of chocolate. There is also a nutty flavor that I can't get enough of. Finishes with subtle, spicy hops. Perfectly balanced and quite complex. Mouthfeel is so smooth. I can't detect any alcohol. This is a classic, world class dopplebock.

3.88/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: [4.25] Dark. It looks black but has brilliant red hues when held up to a light. Looks blood red. Forms almost 2 fingers of dense khaki head. The bottle lists the ABV (6.7%). I can't find date info.

S: [3.75] Caramel, toffee, tobacco. Lots of sugary malt aroma.

T: [4.00] Follows the nose with more caramelized malts. The caramel flavor is smooth and not overly sweet. More toffee (but no tobacco). Has a complex brown bread flavor.

M: [3.75] Creamy and smooth with medium body. Has a hearty malt finish.

O: [3.75] This is a nice robust beer. Hearty malt bill all of the way through. The mouthfeel steps up the beer another notch. I really like this one, compared to other German styles. Lots of complexity. Good malt bill. It is almost a malt bomb - where a lot of the brews I drink tend to be heavy on hops.

11.2oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

A: Pours a dark and I mean dark amber, this one almost looks like a stout. A tightly packed inch and a half tan head bubbles down to a cap and stays around. This one leaves sticky lacing all the way down the glass.

S: They were not kidding about the malts on this one, nice and sweet sugary aromas brown sugar and carmel, nice but not quite as inviting as I would have hopped.

T.MF: Not to much carbonation felt, this one did bubble over when I popped the cap off which I though was a bit strange. Has a very toasty and nutty taste balanced with a good amount of fruity sweetness with a hint of tobacco lingering around in the end, but make no mistake this beer is about malt. Another great thing about this beer is that after a few sips the beer begins to take on richer characteristics, the nutty flavors become more pronoucned and sweet with a nice buttery aftertaste. I don't know what it is but the further I get into drinking this the better the beer becomes.

D: I didn't what this one to end and I got happier with it the further along I got into drinking it, the only qualm I have with this one is that it felt a little flat on the tongue, other than that this one is perfect on the inside.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Look: Dark lavender body. Sticky, persistent, beige head.
Smell: Figs and cola.
Taste: Figs and watery cola.
Feel: Smooth and creamy. Superior finish.

Overall - I have not had this style too many times, nor, am I a big fan, but I am able to identify a top-notch, well-made beer. This is one of them.

Beer rating: 4.34 out of 5 with 6,615 ratings