Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 2,394 | Ratings: 6,375
4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

I was betrothed to Salvator until I was seduced by Celebrator. Salvator may be the original, but Celebrator exceeds it in most respects -- despite the cheesy bock trinket that comes with each 12oz bottle.
Poured a clear almost ruby color into the glass, and displayed a good full head that quickly dissipated. Smelled crisp and almost molasses like. First sips had a hint of biscuit. As it warmed, I detected more honey and raisins. Conspicuously absent was the strong alcohol taste of other doppelbocks. This is Celebrator's strength. Though I later felt the alcohol's effects, they were not as pronounced in the taste or mouthfeel.
Almost too easy to drink. The king is dead, long live Celebrator.

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured a deep brown/red color with a very quickly dissipating tan head. No lacing whatsoever.

Aroma is slightly melanoidin/caramel, with some nice roasty maltiness. Maybe a very slight hop spiciness.

Flavor is sweet malt with a touch of roastiness. There is an astringency on the finish which detracts from the overall enjoyment a bit.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied with a pretty big prickly carbonation bite.

Overall, not a bad beer. I'll have to revisit this one in the future.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Another fine beer provided by Chef Paul's Bavarian Lodge... Poured a dark brown; as close to black as I think you can get withour being there! Nice, thick light brown head that settled to a neat ring around the level of the beer after a few moments... Smell was of dark chocolatey roasted malt, toffee, and a distinct plum/raisin essence. I ordered this beer after dinner and it smelled like I had made a great decision... The elevated abv seemed not to overpower, but rather to deliver the flavors to the tongue while wafting into the nasal cavity from the back of the throat! Kind of an awkward, anatomical description, but hard to explain otherwise... Very sensuous; silky and sweet... I sipped this beer for about 20 minutes and enjoyed every second. Great beer

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

-goes well with food
-first time i had this it had very strong fresh wort character, which was very unpleasant with the alcohol presence. the second round, upon which the review is based, was much different, more malt and chocolate.

A - deep ruby with a clinging head, a quick swirl shows some alcohol in the legs. Ayinger certainly have a distinctive packaging for this dbock, and i've been cognizant of Celebrator for years before i finally got around to buying a 4pk.
S- alcohol in the nose melding with dark chocolate, well balanced. a lot of alcohol in the nose for 6.7%, but whatever.
T- between roasted malt and munich malt character. some chocolate. alcohol coming in on the finish. cleans up well with a lingering roasty-ness
M- silky but carbonated. well suited for the beer but was unpleasant the first round.
D - the fusel alcohol character would deter me from more than one of these, but if i had a pairing situation calling for a dopplebock, i wouldn't hesitate to call in Celebrator.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Had two over the course of a weekend, first was maybe a little to warm and I had had one or two other beers before so it did'nt do much for me. 2nd had a day or so in the frig, no beer before, much better. As with most of my reviews D-bocks are new to me so can't really compare by style. It was good, but after hearing all the hype maybe I expected more. Nose was malty, bready, not much actually. Taste was balanced leaning on sweet. Very drinkable, did'nt fill to heavy. Reasonably priced, if it were available here I would drink again.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Coffee colored elixir with golden highlights. There is a medium foam with decent retention.

There is an alcoholic aroma with a faint touch of malt.

The taste is a malt-bomb of nuts, molasses, and faint coffee notes. Slight touch of a hop aftertaste. Not dry.

Full bodied, creamy, and warm with medium to low carbonation.

Excellent beer! L'Chaim!

This beer was a perfect complement to smoked herring.

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma is bit more on the chocolate side. Pours a dark brown, almost opaque. Excellent, long lasting foam head. Some lacing. Good flavorings of munich malts, Hops is fairly subtle. Smooth drinking. One of the better doppels. The Germans still rule over this beer style.

4.85/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Very dark brown, ruby when held up to the light; white-tan head

Smell: Hints of fruit, specifically banana and cherry, and coffee, sugar, bit of roasty undertone

Taste: Coffee, fruit, this time more plum and raisin, leaves a bittersweet taste

Feel: Light carbonation, which I thought was good as it didn't distract from the flavors; leaves kind of a sticky feel in the mouth and throat

Overall: Very good beer! Lots of flavors going on, plus the little goat is a nice touch!

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

This beer grew on me after repeated sampling and now I love it.
The flavors are subtle and tend to come together very late making this the antithesis of the trendy glut of overaggressive beers currently being produced. Delicately rich and malty, Celebrator is elegant and complex. And my daughter likes the goat.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Ohhh man talk about a brew..! It is called the Celebrator for one reason, after you drink some of this you'll be celebrator-ing all night baby.

After a mixed 6 pack of beers I did have some nice picks and saved this one for last ... man was I in for a nice treat.

This appearance is a mildy dark german beer with a great bottle for advertisement.

Both smell and taste and amazing! After about two sips of this , the 1st word that came out of my mouth "Umm beef stew!" did remind me of some stew but thats not bad was an amazing tasting doppledock.

Mouthfeel and drinkability would usualy be low since I would see how some wouldnt dig the "beef stew" feel to it but I have to say , I myself do dig dem damn meat beers!

I am for sure buying alot more of the celebrator for tomorrow night!!

This beer defines doppelbock. It is nothing short of extraordinary.
If there is a better doppelbock, send me some, because I don't believe there is. Celebrator is rich in malts and elegant to boot, easy to drink and the smell is sweet and layered. Probably in my opinion in the top 5 of all beers in the world. The King of Doppelbocks.

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a chalice....

Pours out a dark murky brown with a tannish head. Very creamy appearance.

This bad boy is all malt. Sweet and toasty on the nose. Reminds me of Guinness.

Toasted malt with just a slight hint of astringency from the alcohol. Slightly bitter finish, but malt dominates throughout.

Somewhat chewy beer, but not overdone. Carbonation is well done in my opinion. Sticky finish.

I haven't had many dopplebocks in my life, but this one lived up to my expectations. Very tasty and I would say an ideal beer for an after dinner "snack".

A: Dark dark brown with an off-white head. The head faded in about 5 minutes. It looks like a perfect glass of onyx.

S: Sweet and dark with caramel and slight musk of coffee

T: Savory and dark, aftertaste is middle-of-palette and crisp. Notes of cinnamon, caramel, honey. Strong grain presence

M: Smooth, good carbonation level without being excessive. Not as thick as stout, but good consistency so it doesn't go down like water.

This beer was a profound experience. I was at a Brazilian steakhouse on somebody else's check. I ordered a Doppelbock of some other brand I didn't recall. They told me they had run out of that and that this was the only other doppelbock they had. I said thanks and they poured. I have never been a benefactor of such beautiful and just coincidence in my life. It's like meeting your future wife in a car accident. It's like finding a gold deposit in your basement after a meteor caves in your house. This beer changed the way I thought about life. I'm not exaggerating. I do not know how else to put it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Dark brown with a quickly dissipating head. Nearly no signs of carbonation.
S: Molasses, Coffee, caramel make this a great experience for the nose.
T: The first flavor that hit my tongue was the sweetness. This is most likely the reason why this beer is so popular. It's unique in that you don't expect that taste when drinking such a dark beer.
M: Warm, smooth coating all around. Very enjoyable!
O: I don't have a long history with bock beers, but it this is any indication of the experience, I might have found a new favorite type of beer.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Distinctly German in its look and taste. It reminded me of my first Dunkel but with a little more of a kick. It pours a medium brown with little bubbles always floating to heaven. The head was a little less then I desired. It pours close to an inch of head that goes away fast. Smells of malt and maybe a hint of coffee or smoke, I could even say maybe a little fruity. Surprisingly drinkable it does not taste like a strong dark beer. The alcohol content is not noticeable. That could just be because I usually drink Belgium’s. It actually reminds me of a dark Belgium. I enjoy decorating my office at work with the little goats that come with each bottom. They have come out with a four pack for those of you who don’t feel like spending $14 on a six-pack but the price is well worth the beer. One of my favorites.

Pours a very dark body with a nice thick off-white head. The head slowly settles to a fine thin layer.

Smells nice and malty (I'm partial to the malty side of beers) and I can really smell that barley wort aroma. Sweet and fruity as well.

Nice sweet malt flavor with a slight drying finish. Certainly has that German beer taste. What is that? It leaves a smooth lingering smoothness that makes me reach for the next sip. High quality brew here.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

I finally got to tap a 30 liter keg of Celebrator and i couldnt wait to christen the barrel by enjoying the first glass. A rich deep brown when poured into my glass, decent head, tan in color. The aroma is inviting, malty and sweet, the flavor, as usual with this beer, is phenomenal. Big mouth sweet and malty with a nice roasted balance. I love this in the bottle but on tap man im obsessed with it. If it wasnt almost 7% abv i would drink it alnight avery night all winter long. This is pure malty goodness!. If you like this in the bottle seek it out on tap and you wont be dissappointed.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

I had the privilege of having this lovely brew on tap after the wonderful tour at the Ayinger brewery. It pours a luscious looking dark brown/reddish color, with a lovely head that dissipates and doesn't lace. It has smells and tastes of chocolate, coffee, toffee, molasses, roasted barley, figs, dates, and roasted nuts. It has a heavy mouthfeel which is kind of sryupy. Drinkability is pretty good, but it is kind of heavy so i wouldnt want to many of these in a session. Overall this beer is gorgeous and I will buy it again and again!

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%

There's enough inside this bottle to keep any beer drinker busy for quite some time.

Poured a deliciously rich and dark reddish brown. Head rose slowly and doesn't go anywhere until the last inch or so is left. Left a light lacing on the way down.

A lot of sugary sweet smell out of this one with some fresh baked bread on the top and a very distinct but noble hop tinge.

To the mouth the small bubbles make this one velvety and smooth to the palate while still giving it an effervescent quality.

A bit of alcohol on top but with strong notes of caramel and sugar and a nice hop bitter to kick it over the edge...you could probably taste this one over and over and get something new.

I cant imagine a better double, this one is good for all occasions and stands as a classic...I keep the ram hung on my rear view to pay homage to this great beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

What can I say? This is one of the best Belgium Dopplebocks, if not the best. Strong caramel and chocolate on the nose, some dark fruit and molasses bread.
Tastes very similar to the smell, full and rich of dark malt, dark fruit, molasses, and roasted grain. A wonderfully complex but drinkable beer.
Keeps smooth in the mouth with enough carbonation to keep your tongue excited for the next sip.

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ayinger Celebrator doppelbock
7.2% ABV
330 ml brown glass bottle with crown $4.00 at State Street Northampton MA
Appearance: dark dark with thin brown/tan head turns quickly to big bubbles that pop and leave a ring of lace
Smell: dried fruit, prunes and cherries
Flavor: creamy but not milkshakey, malty and just a bit fruity with a touch of bitterness but not citrusy hoppy
Overall: 3.5/5 The mildness of this is nice since most of what I've been tasting is overwhelming in one area or another.
I like how rich it is, but for me, I'd like to get a bit more of something and a touch less bitterness.
I think I'll stay away from doppelbocks for now.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Dark, dark brown color, maybe a hint of burnt red when held to light just right, but pretty opaque. Nice tan head exits quickly.

Smell is malty molasses, but doesn't really hit ya.

Smooth taste, the molasses and fruity aftertaste come together to make something special.

This is a real treat. At 6.7% not as strong as other doppelbocks, but it for something high in drinkability.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Pours dark brown/black with reddish tint. Thick creamy tan head, that recedes to light cover. Nice lacing. Aroma is dark fruit, molases, toffee, chocolate and a touch of cookie dough. Flavor is malty and fruity delight. Plums, raisins, molases, bitter chocolate, a touch of hops, some roastedness comes at the end. Finish is longish and dry, with a bit of warming alcohol. Texture is smooth and creamy.Very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

overall just fantastic beer, never get tired of it, especially not while there are still bottles around the house.

Real dark walnut colour nearly opaque with a great tan head that slowly dissipates leaving a decent lacing.

Aromas of molasses toasted malt and faint date scent in the background. Also quite a few doughy notes coming through.

Tastes like a combination of roasted hazelnuts molasses and some type of nut brittle all with a slightly darker tone too it. Finishes with a little bit of drying hops but not too much, definitely still a little sweet towards the finish as well as up front, but plenty of roasty balance to it.

Great smooth weighty feel to this beer, carries the intense roasted flavours very well thanks to this and goes down very very smooth.

For such an intense beer goes down very easily and carries the alcohol well.

3.81/5  rDev -12%

A: Dark, but not quite opaque. Poured with one inch of light brown foam, with nice lacing throughout.
S: Roasted malts in the nose along with some plum and maybe a hint of bread.
T: Is that nuts and some molasses I taste? I wasn't expecting that. The plum I smelled lingers in the background with some raisin as well. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the hops in this brew. Good nonetheless, but nothing particularly special.
M: Medium-full bodied. Smooth and not dry.
D: It took me a while to drink one bottle. I could not see myself having more than one in a night.