Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

#364

Ratings: 6,551 |  Reviews: 2,449
3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark Brown, light khaki head, very nice lacing, barely translucent but cannot see thru brew, head is slow to dissipate

S - Deep rich carmel, earthy, chocolate, bread

T - Rich carmel and chocolate, light hops, molasses, figs

S - Carbonation is excellent, froth is excellent, thick full body, exactly how you want a dopplebock

O - Excellent representation of style. Carmel is deep. Mouth is awesome, flavors are balanced very well. Says 'Finest Bavarian Doppelbock' right on the bottle...this may not be a lie.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330 mL bottle from the LCBO; no packaging/best before date. This is one of those beers that I've basically never heard anything bad about, ever - it's been on my 'must try' list for a while, and I'm glad to finally scratch it off that one. I must point out that I haven't had a lot of doppelbocks, and the few that I have tried didn't really impress me that much... but maybe this one will turn out to be the brew that changes my outlook on the style. Poured into a mug.

Pours a deep brownish-black colour; looks nearly opaque, but under the light I can make out some crimson tinges and the translucency of the brew. Topped with two fingers of puffy, creamy, off white-coloured head that wilts slowly over the next few minutes, leaving behind a smooth, dense cap about 1/2 a cm thick, and smears of lacing on the sides. The aroma is pleasing and intensely malty, with hints of raisins, butterscotch, figs, fruitcake, brown sugar and sweet potatoes. I might be imagining the smoky notes, but with or without them the bouquet is rich and enticing.

And that richness carries over into the flavours, as this is one of the tastiest dark lagers I have had in my many years on BA. Some light brown sugar or molasses sweetness is quickly overpowered by figs and raisins, some toasted, biscuity malts, with the smooth finish being dominated by bittersweet notes of baker's chocolate and a pleasant demerara sugar sweetness. The aftertaste is mostly lingering roast and a weak hint of booze. On the heftier side of medium-bodied, with mild carbonation that gently prickles the tongue. The mouthfeel is silky-smooth, and even though it's extremely easy to drink this stuff, the small sample means I'd rather savour what precious little I have.

Final Grade: 4.70, a nearly flawless A+. Ayinger Celebrator was just what I needed - a doppelbock to convince me that I don't hate doppelbocks. I have trouble envisioning a more finely-crafted bock than Celebrator - it really is the gold standard; the doppelbock that other doppelbocks should aspire to be like, and an amazingly drinkable strong lager that I will definitely pick up again at some point. Highly recommended to newbies as an introductory bock, and something worth stocking up on if it isn't always available in your area.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%