Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

#364

Ratings: 6,550 |  Reviews: 2,449

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Single bottle (no date on bottle anywhere) poured into a Tumbler/Shaker Pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a 1/2" thick light brown foam that died down to a thin layer across the top of the beer. Plenty of lacing as I drank it down. The color on the table is a deep mahogany brown, but held up to the light is a deep garnet red. Plenty of carbonation coming up through the dark liquid as you hold it up to the light.

Smell: Sweet, but not overpoweringly so. Reminds me of the smell upon opening up a box of dark chocolate covered raisins. The raisin is the main smell, but there are chocolate and bready notes in there too. Very nice.

Taste: Caramel malt, the raisin fruitiness, bittersweet chocolate all rolled into one. A nice balanced bitter finish and some lingering bittersweet chocolate aftertaste. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Sticky and a little chewy, with just enough carbonation on the tongue to be noticeable. Again, very nice adds to the overall richness (but never excessive) of this beer.

Drinkability: My only problem with this beer is that the 12oz bottle is too damn small, I really want more to enjoy. An outstanding beer but strangely I am noticing the alcohol (maybe because I'm drinking it faster due to the wonderful flavor) so I have to learn how to pace myself on something this good.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a very dark color with ruby highlights. Big, foamy, tan head that falls slow. Nice sticky lace.

Nose is all malts. Sweet.

Big malt taste. Sweet but with hop flavor present. Hop is mild though so no bitterness obviously. This brew is all malt, yeasty and bread-like.

Medium bodied and chewy in the mouth.

Awesome malty brew.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

I got a bottle of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock for $3.49 at The Lager Mill. I been trying a lot of different Doppelbocks lately so when I saw one of most highly regarded Doppelbocks on the singles shelf I figured I better try it to see how it stacks up to the other Doppelbocks I have had and if it lives up to all the hype. No visible bottling date. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label and packaging of this beer, it looks cool and is well done, the little white goat thing was cool too. I still don't get whats up with Doppelbocks being associated with goats, somebody needs to school me as to why this is. It poured a deep dark ruby red color bordering on being brown, the ruby red really sticks out much more when held up to the light. A slightly rough pour resulted in four fingers worth of light tan colored head that died down to a thick layer that left some nice lacing.

S- I pick up aromas of lightly roasted malts that impart some nice sweet dark chocolate and coffee aromas that are subtle but nice. The main player in the aroma is the dark fruits which stick out a lot, mainly plums, figs, and red grapes along with some brown bread aromas. Smells good and what I would expect from a good Doppelbock.

T- The malts impart some nice light roasted flavors that I picked up in the aroma along with some caramel that I didn't get in the aroma. The brown bread is a little more prevalent then it was in the aroma and blend nicely with the malts. Like most Doppelbocks I have encountered the aroma is far sweeter then the flavor. Just like in the aroma the dark fruits dominate, I like that, lots of figs, prunes, dates, red grapes, and little bit of raisins. Very well balanced, nothing overpowers one another and the alcohol is hidden nicely.

M- Medium full bodied, slightly chewy, smooth and it had the right amount of carbonation.

Overall this was a pretty damn good Doppelbock, one of the best I have had, to me it is slightly better then Bell's and Weihenstephaner's Doppelbocks. The key to this brew was balance and complexity, there were a lot of different things going on with the flavor and somehow they all came together nicely. This beer seems like it would go good with some nice BBQ are any other hearty dinner, it has good drinkability. Everything about this brew was on par for it's style and I really liked the dark fruit aspect of this beer, it was a nice mixture of dark fruits and was done better then any other Doppelbock I have had. This beer would do a fine job at representing it's style in my fridge, it may share some room with Bell's, but since this is available year round I see more of this brew to come in my future. If you like this style then you have to try this beer, it is a perfect example of it's style and certainly lives up to the hype.

Beer rating: 4.34 out of 5 with 6,550 ratings