Celebrator | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: German Doppelbock

A beer that has a dominant malty taste. This beer’s origins in a monk’s recipe are reflected in its heartiness. The Pope of Beers, Conrad Seidl, describes it as: “Almost black with a very slight red tone, a sensational, festive foam and truly extraordinary fragrance that at first summons up visions of greaves lard. The first taste is of mild fullness with an accompanying coffee tone, which becomes more dominant with the aftertaste. There is very little of the sweetness that is frequently to be tasted with doppelbock beer.” The Ayinger Celebrator has been ranked among the best beers of the world by the Chicago Testing Institute several times and has won numerous medals.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

#648

Ratings: 6,660 |  Reviews: 2,478

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

At Biergarten, Prov. RI 9/2/16
A. heavy molasses
C. dark, slight red
F. initial bite, no carb.
T. salted caramenl, coffee chocolate

3.26/5  rDev -24.9%

Bocks to me are just...eh, bleh. They aren't bad but I have never been truly impressed with them. I have never had an "A" graded bock so when I found "Ayinger Celebrator" I was curious. I wasn't sure if I was willing to pay $12.40 for a four pack of beer, especially for a bock. I have no problem throwing that money down for an four-pack, or even a single 22oz, of Imperial Stout but I just can't imagine paying that much for something with such little alcohol content and flavor.

I figure if this brew has such a good reputation, it must be worth trying it at least once. I just hope I don't get let down. Seeing the goats on the bottle reminded me of "Beerfest." "If you can drink Ram's piss, you can drink anything!"

Appearance: Poured a dark, filtered, cola brown with a dense of white head with moderate little, to light, retention and about the same for the lacing. The froth left on the side quickly dissipated and slide off the walls of my pint cup fairly quick. Not impressed.

Smell: The nose is pretty light and crisp with some earthy tones and bitter maltiness hidden in there. The brew is not very aromatic or impressive.

Taste: Bitter malty sweetness in the beginning that moves in to a subtle vortex of complexity. Hints of vanilla, chocolate, and fruit are subtle but still present. Light, malty, vanilla-like, bitter-sweetness lingers on for a bit after each gulp.

Mouthfeel: The medium body and low, yet smooth, carbonation really the brew go down easy.

Drinkability: In terms of alcohol content and flavor, its not worth a second try. I have another three from the four pack and I think that is going to be it for me. The brew itself is drinkable but it doesn't have a unique bite, nor is it high in alcohol. There really isn't any reason why I would buy this again.

Samuel Adam's had a lot more flavor, alcohol, and was cheaper. Plus I got twice as drunk for 3% less. Boo to Celebrator!

Germany aint got shit on American brewing!

Cheers!

-James

3.26/5  rDev -24.9%

Celebrator pours black in color with mahongany hues. Its creamy tan head only lingered briefly before fading. The body has a syrupy cling to the side of the glass. Aroma seems to consists of dark fruit, fig, feint chocolate malt and mineral water. Mouthfeel seems thinner than I'd expect from a doppelbock, but borders on being medium-bodied. Taste was somewhat of a disappointment and hard to pin down. Flavors of coffee, malt and alcohol are combined with a raisiny finish. Celebrator isn't as sweet, malty and flavorful as other doppelbocks I've tried in the past. A bit of a let down.

3.29/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

modified tulip glass from bottle

honestly I'm not an expert in dopplebock and bock styles but I have to say to me this was a mildly disappointing beer. If you are thinking about picking this up, I'd just get Aventinus Eisbock instead, maybe heavier but much better in my opinion

appearance: pours a very dark, cola-ish color, some subtle amber tones when held up to the light. Prominent head, cream colored by not creamy, somewhere between watery and frothy, more close to watery. head of about 2 to 3 fingers,decent retention

smell: the most prominent thing about this beer, smells as it's described, rich, dark, fruity, but not overly malty

taste: adequate, it's not that this is a bad beer, I want to stress that. it's more that given the praise this beer receives, well i'm just not so sure it's deserving. I come from a place of favoring strong dark belgian ales and whilst I do understand that this is not that, I feel as though it attempts at least in some sense to support the fruity flavors it claims to carry but the yeast does not do a very good job of it, this is a malty, malty, malty beer. It very much tastes like a generic porter or stout with dark fruity notes at the back of the take, but the strongest flavor is the roasted malt, which dominates the beer

mouthfeel:crisp but a little thick, not bad in this regard

overall: not aweful but if you're in the market for something like this, you can certainly do better. I do recommend having this with some Y Fenni cheese (otherwise known as red dragon)

Celebrator from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying