Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Ratings: 6,495 |  Reviews: 2,434

11.2 ounce bottle from BevMo Sacramento (Arden Way), poured into wide-mouthed wine glass, cold cellar temp. Silly plastic horse tschotke hanging on the neck (silly since it's a waste of resources, and I'll throw it away.)

Pours with a medium dense brown head that mostly goes away.

Aroma is chocolate and roast and metal.

Taste is fruity, thick, chocolate, roast, plum, (fig?), with distinct smokiness. Not as much metallic taste as the nose would have suggested, but still unpleasantly there.

Finishes warm with alcohol and tingly mouth.

Overall, a good DB, and a good beer, but I don't really see what all the fuss is about. Really, a pretty average beer.

Appearance: Dark Chestnut with small head that dissipates quickly

Aroma: Malty, roasted grain, coffee

Taste: Malty, fruity, with bitter finish; decent, but not as good as Paulanor Salvator or Andechs Doppelbock

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

A brown amber in body, off white rocky head, a bit frothy. Smells of bread and malt. At first it is all malt, but not overpoweringly sweet and then the disapointing part, it turined like a citrus sour. I hope it was just the bottle that I poured from and not representative fo the beer, because I got a real grapefruit bitterness in the end that I cannot believe is desired. May try again due to reputation. But this was not good.

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. Pours a dark tawny brown with some ruby highlights at the edges. A massive beige head billows out. Great retention; left lost of sticky lace in its wake. Scents of plums, currants, wood, booze, and some roasted malts. Nice.

The body on this is much thinner than I'd like. Carbonation level is low. This feels flat and unimpressive. The flavors are malty in character. Some roasted malts at the onset, but then this gives way to a dark fruity flavor, and finishes with some alcohol heat. All in all, I did not care for this beer. I know it's one of the top 100 beers, but I have had better of the style for sure. Won't have this again most likely.

This is my first dopplebock, so I'm not really familiar with the style.

On first taste, the intense malt flavor shines through, which I really liked. There is a bitterness in the fade that reminds me of toasted caramel. This one sort of reminds me of a semi-stout; and I'm not too fond of that style, as I think they are too bitter. Being my first dopplebock, I can't tell if this (bitterness) is indicative of the style or not.

I was actually dissapointed in this brew. I figured that I would be a shoe in for someone that would enjoy a good doppelbock, but nope.. wasn't for me.

I really liked the way it looked int he glass with it's tall head and dark color. There's even a nice red hue when you hold it up to the light. Then I smelled it. It smells bitterish kind of like a beligum beer, but not really. I'm terrible at explaining scents, it just smelled off. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Anyway, so I tasted the little thing :)

Little sour, little bitter. Malty, taste of oats and earth. Spicy aftertaste, warming.

I wasn't a fan, but I'm the vast majority, so who knows. Give it a shot.
I'll have to try another bottle in hopes that it'll be a little better.