Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 2,403 | Ratings: 6,398
3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

This little number spreads itself into a nice cranberry jelly coloured darkness that looks almost like grape juice when held up to the desk light. The head rioted over the borders of the glass. Very good looking flow.

The smell summons up thoughts of molasses and caramels. There is certainly a sun dried fruit element to this. Like a shrivled raisin smell, or mashed prune, or something weird. Some goofy purple fruity thing, hell maybe even eggplant. There are surely some chocolate sheets in the breeze. Malty; roasty. Jeepers this thing has alot of odoriferous eminations to it. I think the smell might be taking me over as I review this one.

The taste is just as cumbersome to analyze. There are so many layers in here that it is almost confusing. You get the bitter chocolate thing at first. Then the sweetness shows itself. The weird purple fruit rind taste creeps up at the end. Other suggestions assert themselves randomly into the flavour atmosphere. Each sip poses another question. The end is a fruit juice finish minus the sugary sweetness. Unique is about how I can describe this one. Mouthfeel is fairly thick, just shy of a "syrupy" designation. Drinkability is a non issue. There is no way I could handle the mental aspect of more of these after this one. I really can't tell what it is trying to say.

This brew is alright. I may be persuaded to try this one again. I would prefer to have something else if I had my 'druthers though. Nice goat. Fine beer. No tremendous fuss. Tastes a bit rotten.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

11.2 oz. bottle with no freshness date.

Poured a very dark brown, opaque. Rowdy tan head with good staying power.

I started catching whiffs from a foot away! Molasses, sweet breads and yeast. Fruits: prunes and plums.

Very malty, roasty and smokey. Diacetyl esters (toffee and caramel). Hops are very nice. More molasses vibe.

At once creamy and smooth, dry and astringent.

This one went down terribly fast. Not intentionally--I was going to have it with sauerbrauten but it was gone before the food was ready. Lived up to the hype, worth the price. Neat little plastic goat there too.

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a deep dark brown with a smidgeon of a white head, releasing a sweet, malty, nutty aroma. Caramel malts and just enough subtle hop presence to provide a good balance and nice flavor, improving as it warms, and becoming much more flavorful. Moderate ABV and a flavor that is by no means overwhelming make this a pretty good session beer.

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a deep mahogany with a tan, 1" head that lasts a few minutes and doesn't leave a whole lot of lacing.

Smells of sweet, almost chocolaty malts.

Tastes much the same as the smell, with a clean malty finish. This could be a good after dinner drink. Nice mouthfeel: not too heavy,but I would like just a little more hop.

Although I'm not a fan of this style (with the exception of Aventinus), this beer impressed me. I can see why so many people give it high marks. I'm encouraged to explore other brews from this style.

4.72/5  rDev +9%

9/16/16

Bumping up my ratings here. There are a few other world class doppelbocks (Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel and Weihenstephaner Korbinian are two that come to mind), but Celebrator gets the nod here for its unmatched smooth finish. Exceptionally clean and smooth. Dark, roasted malt is the star of the show, but there is also a fruity aspect to it that will take you to places you previously thought only ales could go. Not to mention, each bottle comes with a billy goat ornament strung around its neck. How cool is that?

One of my favorite beers in the world.

-----

Original rating 4.48/5 on 2/1/2005.

On-tap @ Anam Cara in Brookline, MA.

Wow, what a treat to find this one on-tap! Props to AC.

Served in it's proper Celebrator glass, it was dark-brown colored. The head had great retention all the way through its short lifespan. Nothing too crazy going on with the aroma, just a nice, enjoyable nutty scent. Great nutty, roasted malt flavor as well. Nice and smooth on the palate. Exceptional drinkability. I couldn't believe how fast I was drinking it, but I couldn't stop!

What more can be said about this brew that hasn't been said already? One of the best and deserves its classic status.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a deep, dark mahogany. Nice head recedes slowly, but doesn't leave much lace. Smells massively of sweet malt. Taste is sweet as well, with some caramel flavors coming through, as well as a small amount of bitterness. There's also chocolate flavors, which is quite nice. Mouthfeel is very full, almost creamy. In fact, that's the best thing about this beer.

While I'm not generally a fan of doppelbocks, I really like this one. Very warming on a cold winter's night. The only bad thing is the price: $3.50 for this bottle. Great beer otherwise, though.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearnce: Pours a very dark reddish browin with a nice, foamy beige head.

Smell: The nose is wonderfully sweet, very malty, and almost fruity. Smells wonderfully complex.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The focus of this beer is the malts. And that's a good thing. The hops present themselves well and round off this beer, but the malts are so complex and flavorful. Caramel, molasses, wheat bread, and so much more come time mind. The mouthfeel is thin but suprisingly creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: I've been waiting to try this for a while, finally got to, and I have to say it met and surpassed my expectations. Complex, powerful, and well rounded, this is an absolute classic that I could drink all night. I can't even imagine how good this is on tap. One of the world's best.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Deep brown pour with a huge tan head. Sorghum molasses, raisins, hints of coffee, and faint cherry notes are in the aroma. The taste is pure doppelbocky goodness: sweet with lots of malt and roasted flavors to go with some coffee, chocolate, and cloves. Mouthfeel is perfectly rich and creamy. Drinkability is fantastic; you could spend all night just trying to figure out what the flavors and aromas are.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer poured a dark brown with ruby hues at the edges with a small head over top. The nose was slightly raisiney and slightly roasted. The flavor on this one is what I consider to be a doppelbock. There were slight chocolate and roasted tones, but also a sweet dark raisiney bit. The feel was thick and smooth. Just fantastic. A highly enjoyable beer that is easy to drink. Very good show.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this at a tasting. Pours a very dark color with a tan head that has great retention and leaves lots of lacing on the glass. The aroma is wonderful. Lots of good maltyness. Coffee, syrup, caramel sweetness. The flavor is quite good as well. Lots of dark malts along with some coffee and chocolate. Very thick body. Drinkability is very good. Great brew here.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a deep, dark, opaque brown with a thick root-beer brown/tan head. Very nice, in fact, beautiful. This is what beer should look like. Aroma is roasty sweet molassas and brandied/candied cherries, rich- just begging me to drink it. There is some unidentified complexity (yeast?) that gives it a bit of added tartness (maybe weak hop notes, but not certain). Flavor is toffee & coffee that is incredibly well balanced- bready sweet with light shaprness at the end of the swallow. A great dessert, even though it's not all sweetness. Mouthfeel lush and rich. Drinkability- really rich that makes it a slow drinker rather than a gulper. Couldn't have more than 1 or maybe 2 in an evening, but worth repeating the process!

3.54/5  rDev -18.2%

Once upon a time, this would be considered the yardstick against which doppelbocks were to be measured. However, having recently had a Smuttynose S'muttonator, I must say that I was disappointed in having this, despite its advantage of being on draft, versus the Smutty in the bottle. Altogether, what I would expect of a doublebock, albeit less than the Smutty. A great beer, but I want more...

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Wow. I can see why this beer is consistently in the top 20. It has a head that lasts forever. Underneath the foam is a dark thick brew that epitomizes everything I love about stouts and bocks with one interesting exception. I believe I could drink about 10 in a day with out blinking. A terrific introductory "dark" beer for new beer advocates (My friends and I are breaking in a new 21 year old)

It is about 3 bucks a bottle which is more than I usually pay for 11.2 ounces, but it is well worth it :)

--Joey

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Opened a 11.2 oz bottle to celebrate my birthday and watch my woods fill up with snow. What a brew! Maybe better from bottle than from tap last month in Va.
suggest you set sort to "top reviewers" and read this beers accolades! Your ears, eyes, nose, tongue, and palate are in for a treat starting with the pop-fiz thru the pouring with a malty yeast aroma rishing along with molasses and exquisite esters, taste perfectly blended and well described as "monsterous" includes deep, roasted molasses finishing with the most perfect aftertaste. Carpe diem!

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%

12-oz bottle, poured into my Celebrator glass.

Appearance: Deep ruby color, with about a half-inch of head.

Aroma: Liquid bread indeed! Smells like a dark loaf rich wheat bread, with plums nearby. There's also the hint of nutty chocolate aroma.

Flavor: Sweet but not cloying, the malt flavor is what this beer is all about. Toasty, slightly chocolatey (or perhaps molasses-like is a better desc). A little dry raisin flavor is also present. Hops are not detectable at all. Finish is sweet, but fairly clean.

Body: The body is medium, a little lighter than what I expect in a doppelbock.

A true classic. I can't think of anything to else to say.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

I’d had this beer in St. Louis at Cicero’s over Christmas, and while it was good, experience told me I was drinking from an old, untended keg. When this showed fresh at Anam Cara today, I didn’t hesitate to order, and I was not disappointed.
Deep brown to black color with ruby highlights and a thin tan head. Wonderful roast malt aroma with mild chocolate and caramel hints. A candy lovers dream! The light roast aroma develops into a milder roast flavor with an amazing sweetness and a mild alcohol warming. Nummy! Smooth mouth feel very drinkable despite the alcohol. This is truly the signature beer of this style.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Sampled as part of a blind dopplebock tasting. In the glass, good old Celebrator is such a deep reddish brown that it approaches black with a creamy head of tiny bubbles. Molasses, caramel, & raisins in the nose. Deeply nuanced, rich, and velvety. Molasses layered upon spicy noble hops, sugar-coated dark fruits, and silky caramel. Mild hints of both smoke and vanilla oak emerge as it approaches room temperature. Full bodied and finishes with a long lasting, slightly dry, roasted finish. Solid.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Poured from the 11.2 fl oz. bottle, it is a deep brown with reddish tones, but there isn't much of a head to this one but the light brown foam laces my glass.
This dopplebock smells of figs and other dark fruits. I taste malts, some caramel and brown sugar , it leaves my mouth with a veil of molasses. I think this is fairly drinkable even at 6.7 % ABV, a couple of these goats are a great match for a winter weekend.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12/31/04- DAMN!! I meant to review this one as #200 rather than the last brew I had!!! Oh well. Purchased at Whole Foods in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 11.2 oz bottle with a cool mountain goat hanging from the bottle. A notched bottled date or expiration that I don't understand. Poured into my Chouffe tulip glass.

Appearance- Pours an almost black or at least dark brown color. Nice sticky head and nice lacing.

Smell- Sweet and sugary. Maybe a brown sugar scent. Molasses and maybe even really sweet milk chocolate.

Taste- Sweet malty goodness. Definite molasses swirling around everywhere. A high amount of hop bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel- A bit too carbonated IMO, but other than that it's a nice full beer that goes down well.

Drinkability- One of my first bocks that I decided to drink at the turn of the year. Thus the name Celebrator. Good choice. I'll he having this one again soon.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.3 oz bottle.
This bottle is over 1-1/2 years old. not quite sure on the age, but it was bought as a single out of a six pack, and these come in 4 packs now.
Pours out dark reddish brown with a 1", quickly disapating head. Head settles to a thin cap. alcohol visible floating on top.
Aroma is malty, fruity, rum, brown sugar, mollasses.
Flavor is fruity, raisin, prune, burnt sugar. nicely balanced bitter/sweet finish.
Damn this stuff is good

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

I was betrothed to Salvator until I was seduced by Celebrator. Salvator may be the original, but Celebrator exceeds it in most respects -- despite the cheesy bock trinket that comes with each 12oz bottle.
Poured a clear almost ruby color into the glass, and displayed a good full head that quickly dissipated. Smelled crisp and almost molasses like. First sips had a hint of biscuit. As it warmed, I detected more honey and raisins. Conspicuously absent was the strong alcohol taste of other doppelbocks. This is Celebrator's strength. Though I later felt the alcohol's effects, they were not as pronounced in the taste or mouthfeel.
Almost too easy to drink. The king is dead, long live Celebrator.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The dopple by which all others are judged! It was my favorite until I discovered Liberator (you know what I'm talkin' here). Pours a mahogany velvet with stiff, lush head, ample lace. Deep roasted malt aromas of caramel, molasses, creme brule', plums, port-the list goes on and on...Tastes even better than it smells if that is possible. Extremely smooth, thick and creamy in body with soft carbonation. Big, chewy mouthfeel. Delicious!!! Caramel smooth finish with a nice nip of hops, alky-hawl content well disguised. No problem finishing off a 4-pack in one night. More please.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked up at the One Stop Liquors in Johnson City, Tennessee and shipped by air to Moscow. Made the trip no worse for wear. Undistinguished 33cl brown bottle with a very busy multi-colored label featuring two goats dancing around a glass of the good stuff. Other than ABV, no relevant or useful information to be found.

Pours a dark but clear burgundy under a one finger beige head that is fairly thin and short-lived, leaving no lace. Decadently strong caramel malt nose with a bit of dark fruit - plum or red grape, perhaps. The mouth is very prickly, yet heavy - great feel. The taste is malt, malt, malt - sweet and heavy. Alcohol is also present, as is a definite plum strain. Nicely blended, smooth as silk, there is just a touch of hops adding a bit of dry bite in the finish, lingering as a bitter echo among the sweet malt aftertaste. This is a very nice, drinkable brew despite the strength. Globetrotterette, who hates strong beers, liked this one. Oh yeah!

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a VERY deep red with a three-finger head that died down over time to fine lacing on the glass. Damn, I have great memories of this beer from when it was available at the place a couple of miles from the house... and it is excellent in cooking, I must add. The best dark beer I have found for recipes.

The aroma was of dark malts and figs, with a light sweetness, and a hint of alcohol ALMOST out of reach. A little fruitier than I remember.

The taste was slightly sweet, with definite fruity malt character. Figs and raisins predominated. A hint of caramel was there as well, along with a touch of alcohol warmth and a bit of roastiness on the aftertaste.

I remembered it better than this... I think it is my own tastes and discernment that have changed, and not the beer. Several hundred beer will do that, I suppose. However, it still was an excellent brew.

4.36/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Only 11.2 ounces in this bottle. Initially, the beer forms a nice tan head, but it dissipates fairly quickly. The color is deep ruby red-brown.

Smell - The malt aroma is so strong that I can smell it three feet away. Unreal. When I hold the beer to my nose, the aroma is overpowering. Hop aroma absent.

Taste - The taste is very rich and malty, but very smooth. Hop flavor absent. Alcoholic warmth comes out in the aftertaste. Outstanding.

Mouthfeel - With the thick and rich taste comes a thick-feeling beer. The beer is silky smooth.

Drinkability - The relatively high percent of alcohol of this beer is not hidden, and the beer packs a bit of a wallop. I would also describe the beer as "filling." A couple of these and I would be done for the night. The style's nickname as "liquid bread" is well deserved.

Comments - I'm no beer judge, but I think this is an excellent example of the style. Beers like this are part of the reason that people rave about the greatness of German beer.