Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Ratings: 6,485 |  Reviews: 2,430
3.03/5  rDev -30%

A- Pleasing to look at, and the head was beautiful while it lasted, which wasn't long. It did retain a small froth on the top, all the way to the end. I was very pleased with this. As the head subsided, there were small white "floaties", which I haven't seen in other beers. My glass was clean.

S- I was not really expecting how sweet and light this beer smells when it's compared to it's looks. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I read somebody else's review, but it definitely smells like raisins and malt, with a slight alcohol smell on the nose.

T- Initial taste is sweet malt and raisin, followed by a dry yet smooth middle, finished by a slight alcohol taste on the tongue. After my pint was half finished, the initial flavors seemed to have subsided and all that was really present was the bitterness, but not the roasted malt kind.

M- This beer definitely coats your mouth, but I personally don't really like the flavor that it leaves. Its reminiscent of drinking cold medicine and having that taste in your mouth afterwards. It's not a heavy beer at all, despite what some people say.

O- I gave this beer a fair review, and I can definitely say there's a lot of good about it. I just recognize that it really isn't my cup of tea (or beer). It was definitely worth a try though, and I would recommend it heartily to people that don't enjoy lighter beers and dislike the charred coffee taste of stouts and lagers. It's sweeter and not as harsh as some of the stouts that I enjoy, but I wasn't much of a fan of the alcohol on the nose and palate. I feel like it needed more body and more complex flavors to compliment the alcohol finish.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Dark brown with a quickly dissipating head. Nearly no signs of carbonation.
S: Molasses, Coffee, caramel make this a great experience for the nose.
T: The first flavor that hit my tongue was the sweetness. This is most likely the reason why this beer is so popular. It's unique in that you don't expect that taste when drinking such a dark beer.
M: Warm, smooth coating all around. Very enjoyable!
O: I don't have a long history with bock beers, but it this is any indication of the experience, I might have found a new favorite type of beer.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%