Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany | website

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 2,388 | Ratings: 6,345
4.46/5  rDev +3%

( BA / BJCP)

Very dark brown, with some crimson red highlights when held to the light. very clear. Light tan head forms quickly, and stays a long while.
( 5 /3 )

Mild dark fruit, Light chocolate, heavy melanoidin, toasty malt. No hop aroma. Mildly sweet. Very light alcohol once warmed.
( 4 / 10 )

Rich toasty/crusty/melanoidin malt, light chocolate, rounded caramel, light roast, and a mild dark fruit. No hop flavor. Balance is towards the malt. Hop bitterness is enough to make the finish moderately dry, but the aftertaste here is pure malty sweetness.
( 4.5 / 18 )

Medium-full body, medium-light carbonation. Decadently creamy. No astringency. Light alcohol warmth
(5 /5 )

Very rich, complex, yet easy drinking beer. Flavors were bold, and the aromas were less assertive, but really enjoyable. Each component I though was truly complimentary to each other.
( 4.5 / 8 )

( 4.48 / 44)

Pretty disappointed in this beer.Its not a bad beer but desent color of brownish/black.Not much nose on it.Not to malty in your mouth,just a little bit to light.I read somewhere that this was the mother of all dopplebocks...not quite

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

The appearance is good, though pitch black, with a nice off white head. While the aroma is wonderful full of pumpernickel bread, chocolate and citrus, and a slight herb nature to it. All that comes out in the taste with chocolate so incredibly pronounced.

The mouthfeel is great although something does not feel quite right about it to me, while it is almost too flavorful to be incredibly drinkable.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

This pours out looking dark.The smell is a nice sweet aroma.It smells kinda malty W/ hint of choclate.This is good. YOU have to check this out fo sho!! The taste is creamy.Reminds me of something I've had before, but a some time ago(maybe Old nick)but not for sure.THis is with out a doubt smooth and has hints of fruit to taste. Ayinger does so well creating great beer.THis is terrific.Must buy more!!!!

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

I poured this into a Bordeaux wine glass.

A - dark and opaque, very little head on my pour.

S - Wow. Very pungent! I get whiffs of chocolate, molasses, and maybe raisins.

T - delish! Punchy, tastes of just what it smells lke (chocolate and molasses especially). Thick but smooth.

M - slight carbonation, and the taste hangs out for a while.

D - Wonderful beer here! Too "big" to drink fast, but rewards patience in savoring it!

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%

Wow. This is damn near a Baltic Porter, it's so dark. Everyone seems to have their own definition of doppelbock, and Ayinger thinks it should be rich, roasty, chocolatey, slightly bitter and really smooth. This one definitely deserves its world class reputation.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Pours a lightly translucent ruby red settling on burgundy with a nice cream colored head that quickly dissipated.

S - Huge aroma of sweet malt and ripe fruit including raisins, cherries, and plums was extremely inviting. I could not wait to taste this one.

T - The taste did not disappoint. Malt sweetness is noticeable from the start and is nicely complimented by the flavor of raisin, cherry, and plum. Finish had a slight metallic aftertaste that quickly vanished leaving the palate clean and making me anxious for another sip. Alcohol presence is completely masked by the robust flavor, but provides a nice warm sensation.

M - Mouthfeel is smooth and light with noticeable, but pleasant carbonation.

D - This beer is extremely pleasant to drink. Given the masking of the alcohol content, it would be easy to have too many.

Overall, I think this beer lives up to its billing. I found this one hard to put down and the aroma was fantastic. This was my first venture into this style and I'm sold.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Grabbed one of these last week and had a chance to indulge last night. 12 OZ. bottle poured into a pint glass. Very deep, dark color. Almost couldn't see through it even looking at a light. Thick rich creamy head that vanished rather fast. Very sweet, smelled almost exactly like a high dollar horse treat with oats and molasses and a hint of chocolate. Nice well balanced taste, with evidence of molasses and coffee-malts. Nice bite on the tongue that was gone quickly after going down. I could taste the alchohol somewhat, especially after the beer warmed up. Mellow, fluid mouthfeel. Not too thick. Great drinking beer and one of the better doppelbocks. Price was pretty salty, but then again it did travel a-ways.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at the Tap room, By the Bottle in Vancouver, WA.

Pours a deep brown with a ruby tinge. Small light-brown head that dissipates quickly and leaves a small ring around the edge.

Big malts in the nose, with caramel and hops. Very rich and bready.

Again, strong malts, a little sweetness, and some hops, with grains throughout. Rich, strong, and tasty.

Smooth and thick, very creamy, with a little carbonation dancing on the tongue.

This beer exemplifies the "meal in a glass" name for doppelbocks. very strong, and very rich, but approachable and smooth. Definitely a credit to its style.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Wow. I can see why this beer is consistently in the top 20. It has a head that lasts forever. Underneath the foam is a dark thick brew that epitomizes everything I love about stouts and bocks with one interesting exception. I believe I could drink about 10 in a day with out blinking. A terrific introductory "dark" beer for new beer advocates (My friends and I are breaking in a new 21 year old)

It is about 3 bucks a bottle which is more than I usually pay for 11.2 ounces, but it is well worth it :)

--Joey

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Thick, off-white head that is long lasting. Dark brown body that is brilliantly clear.

S - Super high amount of sweentess from malt character. A toasty aroma is present. Little to no hop aroma detected. Perhaps a tiny amount of fruit ester.

T - Very rich malt flavor. Sweetness from malt is most evident and a toasty note exists. Not detecting any fruitiness, but a slight chocolate-like character. Possible, but hard, to detect alcohol. No hop flavor, but slight hop bitterness at finish. Balance is definitely towards malt sweetness.

M - Full to medium-full body. Medium carbonation.

D - No harshness, very smooth yet rich.

----

Probably one of the best examples of a German Doppelbock.

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to cptierney for getting this into my hands via an in house trade. he'd told me about this beer for quite a while, saying that I had, had, HAD to try it out. as a lover of browns, porters and stouts... he knew this would be right up my alley when I wanted something new... and good god was he right.

this beer pours with the look of a solid porter. deep brown with a light tan head that sticks around for a while. my glass was freshly rinsed, so the head retention may have been negatively affected by that, but there was not much retention to speak of.

smells of malts... malts, malts and more malts... to be completely honest, this beer smells like the mash tun on brew day... and I love it! that's not to say that it's overly sweet though. I would assume that enough dark... maybe chocolate malts are used to balance this out. really enjoyable flavor that changes from the moment it hits your lips to 5 minutes after you swallowed your last sip.

perfectly carbonated, I get a faint tingle from the floor to the roof of my mouth as I take it in. medium body that really leaves a nice coating behind. really enjoyable.

this is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had in my life. lower in ABV and higher in taste and overall enjoyability... that's coming from one who enjoys big beers much more than their counterpart... I really like this beer.

A- dark, dark, dark mocha/mahogany brown. Big, tan, frothy long lasting head. Very little lacing (if any).

S- nutty, chocolate, ginger, caramel.

T- deep dark chocolate (very much like high % cacao), fig, coffee. Sweetness up front, bitter on the back.

M- smooth, silky, medium body.

O- outstanding! Excellent! A great Dopplebock. Would absolutely recommend.

Cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

330 ml bottle, “6,7 % abv” let sit for 10 min to bring to around 45(ish) F. Some scoring of the bottom edge of the label. Don’t know if this is some sort of coded date or what. Poured into a oversized pils bubble glass.

Ayinger has become my favorite German producer that has a wide variety of styles, that I can find in these parts. So after a year or more of loveing up the Ur-Weisse, Dunkel & Kellerbier, it seems odd that I am just now getting around to trying there number one reviewed selection & one that I seem to have known by reputation for years at that.

Shows up as a dark roasted amber color, with shades of rose & deep maple tones. Healthy pillowed foamy head settles in. Certainly strikes a serious & stately appearance.

The abv & rich malt are very apparent in the nose up front. Sweet peppery wood & beef hints develop nicely as things move along.

Malt happiness fills the pallet at once. Mega luscious autumn squash, caramelized nut, earthy warmth all over the tongue. Slides into an equally balanced & rich hop bitter further on. Ends with perhaps just a bit of a sour tang, though if someone were to call this ‘skunky’ I might have to um… have some ‘words’ with the fellow.

Mouth feel is crisp & lively, keeping the flavor & aroma moving around on the pallet nicely. Slight hanging taste but nothing that another sip wont take care of. I could probably keep drinking this as far into the evening as I could afford.

The head dosn't stick around as long as I would like, & the abv is a lingering presence (7% me arse) but all in all, I would have to say the best double bock I have ever had. I don’t know if it will consistently be worth the $15/6 reputation its got around the tragically few shops that carry this jewel of a brew, but it is truly a lovely encounter.

Ave

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

A: A gentle pour produces the deepest of browns with red/yellows poking through in the light. 3/4 inch of dense, toasted head. "My apartment smells of rich mahogany" - Ron Burgandy. This is a great looking beer caught in a time warp.

S: "That's quite pungent". Good smells wafting to the olfactory. Rich molasses with sweet caramel malt Hops smell perfectly balanced with the malt. My barbaric senses can't pinpoint anything beyond although there some spices and maybe some plum.

T: I really thought the fruit would come out in the taste but I say say nay, it doesn't. Absolutely beautiful. Not sweet, but sugary molasses with surprisingly a lot of hops. Toasted malt as well. Some earthy spices and mild, mild aleish fruit esters poking through. All these things are PERFECTLY balanced.

M: A heavy beer but OH MY! More brilliance! The hops bring on a much needed bitterness creating the illusion of lightness.

D: Very drinkable for what it is.

Nothing revolutionary but it's impressively complex. A classic doppelbock that sets the bar.

4.36/5  rDev +0.7%

Deep brown with a tinge of red in the glass. Not a verry impressive head, but what was there left some sticky tan lace.

Wonderful, heavy boquet. Warm malt with a bit of toffee and chocolate.

The flavor is delicious. Malty and carmel from start to finish. There is a tiny bit of bitterness in the finish to take the candy edge off. Very well balanced and tasty. Did I say it tasted good too?

Nice mouthfeel. Nothing to complain about there.

Almost too drinkable. I could see killing a sixer of this and passing out. Good thing I don't have a sixer, but I do wish I had another.

4.92/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Very dark brown with only the slightest hint of ruby hue when held to light. Nice brown head that held up for a bit and continuted to produce nice lacing all the way to the end.

S: Caramel, molasses, and a slight raisiny note. Maybe some date-style aroma in there as well. Outstanding.

T: The very best. Malty, caramel, molasses, sweetness balanced out with an unnoticeable hop prescence. Completely balanced.

M: Perfection with the carbonation. Slick feel to it. Very easy to drink.

D: The definition of a dopplebock. My favorite style of all time and I would arugue is possibly the best dopplebock in the world.

Poured into my favorite tasting snifter (how's that for pretentious). This is one that I really have to control myself with so I can enjoy every drop!

Very opaque with frothy head that never quits.

Smells malty, a great attribute for a beer of this genre'.

Tastes malt, molasses, some hop and very light alcohol. Fills your mouth with flavor.

Feels almost perfect. Smooth, creamy and coats the tounge perfectly.

One of my favorite beers to date! I have had a lot of beers in my years and I always look forward to my next Celebrator. VERY drinkable but a shame to drink quickly.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

It's a classic. I love the little goat. I should save them up and make a bock necklace.

Actually a little low on the ABV side, from what we're used to in modern takes on doppelbocks. Might actually be the lowest ABV doppelbock I've ever drank. Delicious and malty, though. It's between this and salvator for me.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Tried this for the first time tonight after eyeing this beer for months. The store around the corner from me has this stocked all the time, and I have always been curious about this beer. After seeing it in the BA top 50, I thought it was high time to try this beer.

Poured a dark hazelnut brown with a nice two-fingered pillowed head. This head was extraordinary, but soon dissapated, leaving traces along the glass as I drank.

The smell ofthis beer is very strong to me, and the initial taste provided some fruit, licorice, and nutty flavors, with a bite, followed by a strong alcohol aftertaste. This beer got more mellow as I drank it. This is a big beer. I have only had one or two dopplebocks in the last few years, so I really don't know how to intelligently review this. Every review I have read has stated that this is a good beer, and I would agree. A great beer with lots of flavor, though I would be hard pressed to drink more than a few in a sitting.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

A complex flavor which is not so complex as to compromise the enjoyment of the brew. Mouthfeel is somewhat thick and the smell is exceptional. The appearance is fantastic and makes me want to dive in. Relatively inexpensive to other top 20 brews, this one is highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

One of the greatest beers out there, simply put.

I've had this out of the bottle, poured into pint glasses, but by far my favorite is poured into a heavy chalice or goblet.

The beer pours a gorgeous reddish brown, with a heavy 2 finger head, that dies down, leaving a nice lace around the glass.

Scent brings out floral hop notes, along with a citrusy hint.

Taste is heavy in those notes, along with a sharp alcoholic cut that slices through the flavor, but doesn't leave a burn. When you're finished, you want more, but the beer doesn't allow you to drink too much due to it's heavy notes and overpowering mouthful. An all around classy beer, and definitely a favorite that is always stocked in my fridge. Cheers!

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a dark brown bottle (11.2 oz. I believe?) into a tall tulip glass. The label is great, gotta love the little plastic ram.

A: Pours a clean dark brown, almost opaque, with glimmers of ruby shining through when held to the light. Very clean, this is obviously a high quality brew. Poured vigorously, it will give up a nice beige head, but it didn't stick around for long.

S: Honestly, I didn't get much of an aroma from this one. There is a faint toasted bread smell coupled with that of roasted malt, but it's all very light.

T: The taste is everything I picked up from the aroma, simply magnified. At the front, I get sweet bread and cinnamon at the front, followed by a roasted malty flavor that reminds me of a good stout. The long finish has a coffee bitterness to it.

M: This is a very full-bodied beer, but it goes down really smoothly. The thick, oily texture goes well with slight prickles from the moderate carbonation, and the flavors are able to stick to the taste buds for quite some time. The ABV is on the low end of the range for this style, so there's not much of a warming sensation.

D: This is a very impressive example of a dopplebock. Rich and full-bodied, this beer has everything I could want on a cold or rainy day. Still, I think it's drinkable enough to suit any palate (even those who are turned off by "dark beers"). A supreme standard of quality shows through in the appearance, taste, and finish of this beer.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Pours a dark black color with a nice frothy tan head on top. Smells of caramel, coffee, molasses and cocoa. Nice smooth creamy mouthfeel with low carbonation, some hop bitterness, coffee, dark roasted malts, bread, cocoa. This beer is very good.. and it comes with a plastic little goat thing on the bottle.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Okay, finally time to review Celebrator. It pours just a shade off black with a fluffy tan head. A really dark doppelbock. The scent is really heavenly, with strong notes of toffee and burnt caramel.

The flavor profile is almost identical to the scent. Smooth toffee flavor with caramel as well. Roasted chewy malt upfront and Ripe green apples in the undertones. Ever so slight bitterness in the finish balances out the sweet toffee flavors. A superbly balanced beer, and quite complex as well.

I'm probably in the overwhelming minority on this, but if confronted with the choice, I'd take Paulaner's Salvator Doppelbock over the Celebrator. Nevertheless, Celebrator is clearly one of the finer beers made. It's wonderfully crafted and a must try for anyone that enjoys quality beer.