Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 2,403 | Ratings: 6,398
4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had in 10 oz draft. Dark appearance with little light penetration. Very smooth taste with malty notes. Little lacing and maybe 1" of head. Drinks very clean and was refreshing when it was 90 degrees out. Almost stoutish in its flavor. Would unquestionably drink again and probably one of the best Doppelbocks I've had.

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma is bit more on the chocolate side. Pours a dark brown, almost opaque. Excellent, long lasting foam head. Some lacing. Good flavorings of munich malts, Hops is fairly subtle. Smooth drinking. One of the better doppels. The Germans still rule over this beer style.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

had this on tap at DELANEY'S tap room in new haven ct and it was great i have had this many times before but never on tap. less carbonated than the bottle but just as rich, malty and flavorful with a smooth mallow finish that made me have a second one

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Celebrator is definitely a great beer. It is a very dark, almost black color. It provides a good head and the smell of this beer is really something special. The aroma of chocolate is detectable as well as a very malty smell. This is a thick beer but not overpowering. It is not highly carbonated and goes down smooth. The flavors of chocolate and coffee are evident. Despite its thick body, it goes down smooth. I had a few of these during Christmas dinner and afterward. A few people have said it has gone well with meats but I would also suggest it with goose which is what I had for Christmas this year. It turned out to be a good combination.

4.59/5  rDev +6%

330 ml bottle.

Pours the deep brown of a medium roast cup of coffee. Puffy, mocha-tan head subsides after a few minutes.

Wonderfully sweet, bready aroma. Vanilla, caramel, chocolate all detectable. Prunes soaked in bourbon. Very complex malt aroma mixes with some alcohol esters and a touch of hop resin.

Tastes is fully of coffee, chocolate, toasty bread and oatmeal cookie. The high viscosity of this brew is evident on the lips and as it goes down the gullet, but a rather firm, underlying roasted-malt dryness combined with nice carbonation keep it remarkably light on the palate. This, combined with some nice hop balance in the finish makes this a very drinkable doppelbock.

This beer is just begging for some grilled sausages or venison steaks. A classic.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful, rich, brown color with ruby tint in the light. Aroma of sweet, dark, roasted malt. Taste of dark malt and raisin and a hint of smoke. The flavor hides the alcohol very well but, you still know you are drinking a substantial beer. Excellent

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Wow this is one helleva brew. My Favorite Dopplebock!

A. Nice and dark, not translucent. Nice head that stays put.

S. First semll is roasted grains/toasted bread. followed by some sweetness and a bit of alcohol coming through.

T. This is where the beer shines. Very balanced flavors, Molasses/brown sugar with thick/rich roasted malts. Very smooth and balanced and soft.

M. Smooth and a little creamy. Medium bodied.

D. Great taste, smooth and enjoyable. Nearly perfection in a bottle. Definately a new favorite in my book.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

This brew is perhaps the finest and most intriguing I've seen in a glass...dark, inviting, with a beautiful ruby-garnet hue under direct light. Tiny smudges of lace cling to the pint glass.

Smells of semolina bread, crackers, chocolate, toasty malts and light caramel.

Taste is, to put it midly, godly. A smooth malt character throughout, with subtle hints of peanut brittle, almond, and a slight floral hop note. Tobacco and caramel make fleeting appearances as well. Mouthfeel is vibrant and rich.

Yum.

3.62/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Very dark chocolate coffee color, 1/4 inch head, no visible carbonation.

S: Sweet and dark fruits, specifically plum, with a presence of roasted malt.

T: Roasted nutty flavor on the front end, very smooth, no pop, with a sweet coffee, toffee, caramel flavor on the back end.

M: Extremely smooth medium body, slightly creamy feel balanced by light carbonation (too flat for my taste), and a slight alcohol warming sensation that lingers.

O: Inviting color, perfect scent and flavor, lighter than it looks. Lives up to its reputation as one of the best doppelbocks in the world.

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

I was betrothed to Salvator until I was seduced by Celebrator. Salvator may be the original, but Celebrator exceeds it in most respects -- despite the cheesy bock trinket that comes with each 12oz bottle.
Poured a clear almost ruby color into the glass, and displayed a good full head that quickly dissipated. Smelled crisp and almost molasses like. First sips had a hint of biscuit. As it warmed, I detected more honey and raisins. Conspicuously absent was the strong alcohol taste of other doppelbocks. This is Celebrator's strength. Though I later felt the alcohol's effects, they were not as pronounced in the taste or mouthfeel.
Almost too easy to drink. The king is dead, long live Celebrator.

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured a deep brown/red color with a very quickly dissipating tan head. No lacing whatsoever.

Aroma is slightly melanoidin/caramel, with some nice roasty maltiness. Maybe a very slight hop spiciness.

Flavor is sweet malt with a touch of roastiness. There is an astringency on the finish which detracts from the overall enjoyment a bit.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied with a pretty big prickly carbonation bite.

Overall, not a bad beer. I'll have to revisit this one in the future.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Another fine beer provided by Chef Paul's Bavarian Lodge... Poured a dark brown; as close to black as I think you can get withour being there! Nice, thick light brown head that settled to a neat ring around the level of the beer after a few moments... Smell was of dark chocolatey roasted malt, toffee, and a distinct plum/raisin essence. I ordered this beer after dinner and it smelled like I had made a great decision... The elevated abv seemed not to overpower, but rather to deliver the flavors to the tongue while wafting into the nasal cavity from the back of the throat! Kind of an awkward, anatomical description, but hard to explain otherwise... Very sensuous; silky and sweet... I sipped this beer for about 20 minutes and enjoyed every second. Great beer

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

-goes well with food
-first time i had this it had very strong fresh wort character, which was very unpleasant with the alcohol presence. the second round, upon which the review is based, was much different, more malt and chocolate.

A - deep ruby with a clinging head, a quick swirl shows some alcohol in the legs. Ayinger certainly have a distinctive packaging for this dbock, and i've been cognizant of Celebrator for years before i finally got around to buying a 4pk.
S- alcohol in the nose melding with dark chocolate, well balanced. a lot of alcohol in the nose for 6.7%, but whatever.
T- between roasted malt and munich malt character. some chocolate. alcohol coming in on the finish. cleans up well with a lingering roasty-ness
M- silky but carbonated. well suited for the beer but was unpleasant the first round.
D - the fusel alcohol character would deter me from more than one of these, but if i had a pairing situation calling for a dopplebock, i wouldn't hesitate to call in Celebrator.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Had two over the course of a weekend, first was maybe a little to warm and I had had one or two other beers before so it did'nt do much for me. 2nd had a day or so in the frig, no beer before, much better. As with most of my reviews D-bocks are new to me so can't really compare by style. It was good, but after hearing all the hype maybe I expected more. Nose was malty, bready, not much actually. Taste was balanced leaning on sweet. Very drinkable, did'nt fill to heavy. Reasonably priced, if it were available here I would drink again.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Coffee colored elixir with golden highlights. There is a medium foam with decent retention.

There is an alcoholic aroma with a faint touch of malt.

The taste is a malt-bomb of nuts, molasses, and faint coffee notes. Slight touch of a hop aftertaste. Not dry.

Full bodied, creamy, and warm with medium to low carbonation.

Excellent beer! L'Chaim!

This beer was a perfect complement to smoked herring.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

This beer grew on me after repeated sampling and now I love it.
The flavors are subtle and tend to come together very late making this the antithesis of the trendy glut of overaggressive beers currently being produced. Delicately rich and malty, Celebrator is elegant and complex. And my daughter likes the goat.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Ohhh man talk about a brew..! It is called the Celebrator for one reason, after you drink some of this you'll be celebrator-ing all night baby.

After a mixed 6 pack of beers I did have some nice picks and saved this one for last ... man was I in for a nice treat.

This appearance is a mildy dark german beer with a great bottle for advertisement.

Both smell and taste and amazing! After about two sips of this , the 1st word that came out of my mouth "Umm beef stew!" did remind me of some stew but thats not bad was an amazing tasting doppledock.

Mouthfeel and drinkability would usualy be low since I would see how some wouldnt dig the "beef stew" feel to it but I have to say , I myself do dig dem damn meat beers!

I am for sure buying alot more of the celebrator for tomorrow night!!

This beer defines doppelbock. It is nothing short of extraordinary.
If there is a better doppelbock, send me some, because I don't believe there is. Celebrator is rich in malts and elegant to boot, easy to drink and the smell is sweet and layered. Probably in my opinion in the top 5 of all beers in the world. The King of Doppelbocks.

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a chalice....

Appearance:

Pours out a dark murky brown with a tannish head. Very creamy appearance.

Smell:

This bad boy is all malt. Sweet and toasty on the nose. Reminds me of Guinness.

Taste:

Toasted malt with just a slight hint of astringency from the alcohol. Slightly bitter finish, but malt dominates throughout.

Mouthfeel:

Somewhat chewy beer, but not overdone. Carbonation is well done in my opinion. Sticky finish.

I haven't had many dopplebocks in my life, but this one lived up to my expectations. Very tasty and I would say an ideal beer for an after dinner "snack".

A: Dark dark brown with an off-white head. The head faded in about 5 minutes. It looks like a perfect glass of onyx.

S: Sweet and dark with caramel and slight musk of coffee

T: Savory and dark, aftertaste is middle-of-palette and crisp. Notes of cinnamon, caramel, honey. Strong grain presence

M: Smooth, good carbonation level without being excessive. Not as thick as stout, but good consistency so it doesn't go down like water.

This beer was a profound experience. I was at a Brazilian steakhouse on somebody else's check. I ordered a Doppelbock of some other brand I didn't recall. They told me they had run out of that and that this was the only other doppelbock they had. I said thanks and they poured. I have never been a benefactor of such beautiful and just coincidence in my life. It's like meeting your future wife in a car accident. It's like finding a gold deposit in your basement after a meteor caves in your house. This beer changed the way I thought about life. I'm not exaggerating. I do not know how else to put it.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Drank from a stemmed Ayinger pokal glass after being poured from a 12 ounce bottle.
Appearance: Very dark brown with a hint of red hue. Head was initially moderate-to-large but quickly dissipated.
Smell: Subdued/faint malty aroma.
Taste: Chocolate and malty flavor. Extremely smooth going down.
Mouthfeel: Light carbonation with heavy body.
Overall: One of the best beers that I have every tried. An absolutely delicious beer that does not overwhelm the palate.

Ironically, while vacationing in Munich, I visited the Ayinger Brewery, and while there I asked specifically for this beer (after reading its glowing reviews on Beeradvocate.com), but they told me it was not the right season (I was there in August), and they do not serve this beer until early spring. It was not until I returned to America when I was able to try this beer for the first time.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Dark brown with a quickly dissipating head. Nearly no signs of carbonation.
S: Molasses, Coffee, caramel make this a great experience for the nose.
T: The first flavor that hit my tongue was the sweetness. This is most likely the reason why this beer is so popular. It's unique in that you don't expect that taste when drinking such a dark beer.
M: Warm, smooth coating all around. Very enjoyable!
O: I don't have a long history with bock beers, but it this is any indication of the experience, I might have found a new favorite type of beer.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Distinctly German in its look and taste. It reminded me of my first Dunkel but with a little more of a kick. It pours a medium brown with little bubbles always floating to heaven. The head was a little less then I desired. It pours close to an inch of head that goes away fast. Smells of malt and maybe a hint of coffee or smoke, I could even say maybe a little fruity. Surprisingly drinkable it does not taste like a strong dark beer. The alcohol content is not noticeable. That could just be because I usually drink Belgium’s. It actually reminds me of a dark Belgium. I enjoy decorating my office at work with the little goats that come with each bottom. They have come out with a four pack for those of you who don’t feel like spending $14 on a six-pack but the price is well worth the beer. One of my favorites.

Pours a very dark body with a nice thick off-white head. The head slowly settles to a fine thin layer.

Smells nice and malty (I'm partial to the malty side of beers) and I can really smell that barley wort aroma. Sweet and fruity as well.

Nice sweet malt flavor with a slight drying finish. Certainly has that German beer taste. What is that? It leaves a smooth lingering smoothness that makes me reach for the next sip. High quality brew here.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

I finally got to tap a 30 liter keg of Celebrator and i couldnt wait to christen the barrel by enjoying the first glass. A rich deep brown when poured into my glass, decent head, tan in color. The aroma is inviting, malty and sweet, the flavor, as usual with this beer, is phenomenal. Big mouth sweet and malty with a nice roasted balance. I love this in the bottle but on tap man im obsessed with it. If it wasnt almost 7% abv i would drink it alnight avery night all winter long. This is pure malty goodness!. If you like this in the bottle seek it out on tap and you wont be dissappointed.