Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock
4.34/5
Outstanding
Ayinger Celebrator DoppelbockAyinger Celebrator Doppelbock

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Doppelbock

A beer that has a dominant malty taste. This beer’s origins in a monk’s recipe are reflected in its heartiness. The Pope of Beers, Conrad Seidl, describes it as: “Almost black with a very slight red tone, a sensational, festive foam and truly extraordinary fragrance that at first summons up visions of greaves lard. The first taste is of mild fullness with an accompanying coffee tone, which becomes more dominant with the aftertaste. There is very little of the sweetness that is frequently to be tasted with doppelbock beer.” The Ayinger Celebrator has been ranked among the best beers of the world by the Chicago Testing Institute several times and has won numerous medals.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

#381

Ratings: 6,610 |  Reviews: 2,460
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%

Got this from Belmont Beverage and opened from a bottle. So cold in SB that it was ready to be drank from my closet.

A - Very dark chocolate brown, almost opaque but can see plumish hues to it as well. A nice thick creamy, bubbly head that left lacing down the glass.

S- alot of sweetness coming off of this one as well; smell mixtures of fruit, mostly the grape and plum. Also a bit of chocolate and toffee like sensations.

T - wow this is a really good beer that literally blew me away the first time I put my mouth on it. Loads of malt in it and can taste sweetness but it is not at all overpowering. The taste is a lot of plum, brown sugar, molasses is there too. Rather sweet but it is not at all overpoweringly sweet; it is actually rather well balanced as well. The aftertaste is a little less plummy but that is mostly what I note; also a nice warming alcohol taste which is necessary to offset some of the sweetness. Leaves a nice roasted flavor in the mouth as well.

MF - A light carbonation, not too sticky either; a little bit thin but pretty good. Leaves a slight tingly aspect on your tongue.

D - For such a big beer this is very drinkable. I think I could drink these one after another and definitely one that I would pick up again if I saw it out lying it around. A definite must buy if you see it lying around. Plus you get those white goats on the bottles! Agree with the one guy down below that this is one beer that I drank a lot faster than I thought I would.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%

I thought I knew what good beer was...but that was until today. I have to hand it to the Germans, this was one damn good beer.

Full disclosure - I am a dark beer, stout, porter, dopplebock kinda guy - so I am partial to these types of beers. I have had plenty of them and thought I knew what a good instance of one would be. Boy, was I wrong. This Ayinger Celebrator was an experience unlike any other. Served in a goblet, it had a black but still appealing hue of darkness, a decent head, but little staying power (admittedly something I easily overlooked). The smell was not necessarily anything that was memorable, but it didn't have any of the other "heavy" odors of dark beers. The feel was truly smooth, silky, and easy to be sessionable. But what simply blew me away was the taste - by God - I can't say enough about it. It was unlike any other dopplebock I have had. If given the chance I would probably drink this stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (but I suppose it's a good thing I don't.) Overall, it was by far the best beer I've had in a very long time, if not the best ever.

UPDATE: 12 August 2016
This is still the best damned beer I have had to date. And now, after having as many as I have had, I can tell you there is a hint of honey to the brew. So not only delicious, but a hint of sweetness to it. Damn, the Germans really know how to make beer.

4.05/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to BigLove for this addition on our first trade....
Pours a dark brown color with a full finger and a half of light tan head...disappears quite rapidly and produces very little lace.
Nice aromas...rum raisins, a hint of smoke, and roasted malt.
A very pleasant taste and perfectly balanced for the style...an earthy flavor and not overdone in any one category. All of the things detected in the nose make their way into the taste and the mouthfeel, while thin, is very smooth. Carbonation is perfect and this one goes down oh so easily.
Alcohol is nowhere to be found...
I can see why this one gets so much praise...one of the best I've had and one I will go to on any given occasion.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.08/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle with no dates into a pilsener glass.

A: Mahogany, dark bitter chocolate brown. More brown highlights than red when backlit. Mocha head of an inch or more off of first healthy pour. Receded to a quarter and then an above average silky looking ring with a slick and few larger bubbles awash.

S: Sweet roasting game, roasty bread, dark carmel, dark chocolate.

T: Dark chocolate, carmel, a little roasted malt. A definite tobacco/cigarette quality and suggestion of cherry. Grape. Subtle tailing hop bitterness. Coffee sweetened with condensed milk.

M: Carmel-like, not heavy, great amount of carbonation that keeps it from becoming syrupy.

D: I'd drink several during the winter. Quite sweet though. Celebrator would be wonderful with gamey food or fireside. Seems like it would go well with smoke.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Purchased on a whim at my local craft beer store......(I don't squally stay away from European imports, too expensive). Oddly, when I got home, this actually the highest rated dobblebock on BA. It's a winner. Read all the reviews and you'll see why. Color: darkkkk, aroma/ flavor: magnificent .....

I have been drinking this for about a year now nice chocolate color tan long lasting head nice lacing excellentlacing nice smooth palate coffee and molesses with a slight bitter after taste this brings back fond memories when I was in the Army in Germany in a little town of Illishiem in 1970 sitting in a guest house having a few this is one of the best beers I have had in 30 some years. This is the beer I have been looking for. If there is one better would some one let me know.this is the only beer from my (ratebeer.com) that at this time I have around 278 beers rated that I have reated all 5's

Beer rating: 4.34 out of 5 with 6,610 ratings