Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Style: Dortmunder / Export Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-08-2001

Reviews: 513 | Ratings: 944
4.88/5  rDev +23.9%

poured into ayinger stange, the way i had it when it was first served to me at the sharp edge, pittsburgh, pa. here's to my 500th review. a trifle to some but a landmark to my vagrant ass.

A- a beer so highly sought after by me and so highly esteemed is more than worthy of my appreciation. if this is an export lager than what the hell do they keep in germany? pours a chill hazed golden amber. more lemony yellow upon inspection. the head is beautiful. european by all means and unquestionably german. does this go without saying? white, rocky, buildable, sturdy, and puffy like a cloud as it rises over the lip of the glass. i've longed to have this on my computer desk to give it an honest to goodness review (as opposed to half drunk in a bar). lacemeister on check, chunky and sticky and everything i seek.

S- crisp pale grainy aroma with lemon and pepper. herbal and grassy and cleaner than the dortmunders i'm accustomed to. straightforward malt sweetness balanced by white lily floral and basil herbal hop notes with a touch of lemony bitterness make for one sick combo.

T- malty sweet, honey and butter, light grains, apple, pear, white grape, reisling, touch of grassy hop flavor is working against the sweet. hard to call it bitter per se, as the bitterness is more expressed in subtle hop flavor- this one showcases malt with hops merely as an accent. all sorts of cereal grain flavors like the sweet little morsels of meusli, bran, rice, barley, oat, and wheat all wrapped up into a cereal bar of a beer with enough flora; and herbal hop bitterness and flavor to keep things under a sublime awning of balance. finishes sweet, dry, hoppy (NOT bitter) and yeasty with a touch of banana. heavenly.

MF- as expected. i mean, after all, we're dealing with reinheitsgebot ass shit and that demands a certain aire of character... nay, a certain guarantee of quality that is-- as it were, encompassing the entire meaning of ingredientiality. respecting the german purity law as i do, i cannot help but be engaged in the balance, the very sincere simplicity of barley and hops and yeast and water that make this beer so great.

D- unashamed, and upon ayinger's nutsack, i plege my allegiance to this brewery. if i ever find myself myself in germany i would probably fall to my knees. drinkability is beyond compare and i glorify this brew as such. hands down my favorite brewery and another stellar offering to hit on par with oktoberfest, weiss, and dunkel. many thanks.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

And I think to myself . . . what a wonderful beer!!!

Wow. It pours a stunning honeydew with a fluffy egg-white head.
Mmmm.
It smells, well, like simplicity itself. Grains, mostly, with the ever so slight hint of hops.
The taste, like the smell, is pure and clean. Flavours of light summer fruits blend into the rich, grainy munich malt. The hops serve as a balancing agent and are largely unoticed.

Ahhhh. There is little to say about a beer of this caliber. It is simply beautiful.
Less reviewin', more drinkin'.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

500 ml bottle from the Wine Exchange, on to the beer:

There are so many bubbles racing through the body of this beer, you could...I don't know where I'm going with this gag, but there's a lot in this golden straw colored beer. Great frothy head on top that retains well. Good smell too. Its lemon notes are both sour and sweet. Grassy and hay aromas too. Hint of oxidation. I'm psyched for taste this one.

This is one smooth beer and jam-packed with taste. It's impossibe to take a small sip from this beer, I'm taking big gulps. I'm already finished with one-thirds of my beer, and I still don't have any tasting notes yet. The taste dissolves on the palate...malty, lemongrass, bits of hops, lemon tartness, grain. Great balance of the flavors. Spicy notes and a dash a saltiness linger on the palate in the aftertaste.

Wow, this one blew away my expectations to the next county! To its credit, Ayinger Jahrhundert becomes my favorite lager to date, as well as one of the best beers I've ever had. And fortunately for me, it's easily accessable and won't cost me more than $3 a half-liter. Drink and learn fellow BA's, this is what a German helles lager is all about.

4.84/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

If Thor put down his hammer it would be only to raise this beer.

Sensational color, yellow with a touch of haze.
Smells like a freshly washed Swede tumbling in hay.
Tastes like everything you could imagine in perfect blend of grass, hop, malt, bite, crisp linger, and carbonation.
Feels like Jen Selter sat on my face.

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%

Jahrhundert Bier by Brauerei Aying pours a chill hazed amber from a dark brown glass bottle with a pry off cap. Massive head of fine white foam went well over three fingers before turning rocky on the way down to a thick carpet of foam and loads of lacing down the sides of my beer glass.

Nose is of damp sweet barley malt and a light hops. Palate is a full bodied well bittered sweet barley malt.

This beer is one of the best beers that I have yet to run across. Good looks, good to the nose, and very good on the palate.

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

This is a style I really need to become more accustomed to. Some of the one's that I've previously had seemed like a watered-down helles. Certainly not the case here! This one's boarding on a great Pilsner.

A: Clear, golden-yellow with a frothy white head, great retention & lacing.

S: Earthy-mineral, metallic, grassy & herbal with some underlying, sweet-toffee malt.

T: Nobel hops are upfront (metallic mineral & grass), but then the awesome malt comes into play (toffee, honey & biscuit), then it finishes with pleasant floral & herbal flavours. Bitterness is solid.

M: Moderate body is extremely smooth with an off-dry finish.

D: Truly exceptional.

This seems to have the hopping of a German Pils, with the maltyness of a Helles. Great stuff.

Thanks Bobsy!

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Pure white fat head, with pale transparent body. Excellent lacing.
Small is beautiful. Pretty malt aroma. Bready nice and sweet. Small amount of fruit on the nose.
I have found the most wonderful light beer. Perfect soft bitterness with light peachy maltyness. The hop flavor is complex, ranging from floral to spicy, bitterness refined and always smooth.
Light bodied, dry-finishing great beer.

4.78/5  rDev +21.3%

appearance; slightly hazy, straw yellow with a bleached white head. Great creamy foam with endless retention and chunky, ringed lacing.

smell; strong biscuity malts. Very dry and rustic with a hint of sweetness, I could be wrong but I think it is München malt. Dry grasses and hay come to mind. The hops are just a bit lemony but mostly herbal and grassy.

taste; very rustic and mildly sweet malts, leaving a dry hay flavor with a bit of caramel on the palate. Some spicy bitter hops linger in the finish.

mouthfeel; light, refreshing, and crisp. Very advanced carbonation that stings the palate deep and sharp.

overall; a very drinkable and tasty brew. Definitely a benchmark for the style, nearly flawless with a malt profile that is strong and grainy, without becoming sweet...amazing and what this style is all about....well done! Just for fun, eat some München malts, appreciate the flavor, cleanse the palate, and try this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic beer, smooth flavor, nice clear golden yellow appearance and a crisp aroma. I drank this without food but I imagine this would be a homerun with a good meat dish. Side note, this beer has a killer bottle cap, great landscape painting that really caught my eye.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Presentation: Served in pint glass at Sewickley Sharp Edge.

Appearance: Straw color, thick white head, light carbonation, lacing retained through entire drink.

Smell: Very malty, bready, and doughy with faint hop smell

Taste: Medium bodied, malty with a smooth finish. Very nicely balanced

Mouthfeel: Nice malt flavor with a balanced, crisp, and dry finish

Notes: Really enjoyed this one. Better beer on draft than in a bottle. Great Dortmunder.

4.73/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Amazing beer.

Pale golden color. Smells great.. malty and noble hops. Taste is fantastically balanced. Slightly bitter and dry. Its like a lighter version of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. Seeing as how its German it's most likely truer to style, but I do enjoy Great Lakes take on it more. Thats not taking anything away from this one however. No real faults.

A must for any lager lover.

4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

Served via gravity at Ayingers in München.

slightly hazy yellow with an unbelieveable white head.

smelled and tasted strongly of breads and cereal grains. very slight hop character.

so damn drinkable. 3 L went down in a hurry.

if there is heavens manna on earth, this is it. everything about this beer is glorious.

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle into dimpled mug.
A - Color of straw. A bit cloudy. Pure white head. Spotty lacing.
S - Light malt, grassy with notes of lemon.
T - Malty at first with some lemony notes followed by a well balanced, crisp hop finish.
M - Light with excellent carbonation. Finishes very clean.
D - I was in a bad mood when I poured this. I took one sip and I couldn't recall what I was pissed about! Amazingly refreshing, easy to drink, and reasonably priced($2.89!). I could drink this all day. I'm using the remaining half-pint in my mug to wash down some German sausage,sauerkraut and potatoes.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Clear golden lager, rising up to a wonderful puffy head. Absolutely delicious. Ayinger does it again. I love this brewery. Clean crisp taste, smooth, flavorful. Ayinger brews (this one included) remind me gently of apples. Complex taste that grows bolder with each sip. Leaves you feeling light as a feather - most beers can make you a bit logy. Disappears from my glass very quickly, too quickly. If it was cheaper I'd probably drink it all the time. Man, if Anheuser Busch could learn how to make a beer like this, they could rule the world. Excellent complement to a weird pineapple chicken dish that I had.

4.65/5  rDev +18%

A: A hazy yellow with at frothy two finger head. Looks just as it should.
S: Some lemon zest and perhaps some other spices and fruits. Very fresh.
T: Off the charts! I get some bready flavors along with a little tartness from what I believe to be lemons. A nice, clean, hoppy taste at the end.
M: A little carbonation, slighty creamy, but finishes crisp and smooth.
D: Very tasty, very easy to drink. I imagine you could throw down quite a few of these in place of your everyday lager.

4.64/5  rDev +17.8%

The beer is a little cloudy for the style, almost like a Kellerbier, but the head is fluffy and huge, so I'm not going to knock off too much in the appearance department.

The smell is of pure, fresh farm honey. Incredible.

The taste isn't really to style (it is marketed on the label and their website as a Helles Exportbier, their Helles Lager is the Ayinger Bräu Hell). The yeast flavor actually comes through quite strong, almost to the level of a Hefeweizen, which is definitely not normal for the Export style.

That being said, the honey sweet malts and mild but spicy hops make this one of the most delicious and balanced lagers I have tasted. Call it what you like, I could drink these all day.

4.62/5  rDev +17.3%

17 oz into favorite goblet.

A: Pale straw golden and yummy looking. 2 finger head goes almost completely away except for a wee little collar. A a tiny bit of film here and there. Bits of lacing when glass is tipped.

S: Honey-grass-clover-malts and hay, and canned pears. Very fresh smelling like a barn minus livestock, well, maybe a little livestock.

T: Wow this is a lager. Mellow clover honey with faint hop bite and ultra crispness on the finish. A bit of canned pears. Leaves mouth pleasant throat a bit dry.

M: A one for a lager. I would say the best I've ever had.

D: This beer is nearly perfect. I could sip these or drink these maybe even chug these all night if the occasion called for it.
Bravo to zee Hermans JA JA JA JA

4.61/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This bier hits the glass a surprisingly light shade of yellow and very clear in the body. The color is pretty much straw, maybe a little paler, and there is a 2-3 finger head that both retains and laces well. The scent and the taste meld into each other in this bier, starting with a a light malt scent with little to no hops on the nose and moving right into some great light malt flavors on the tongue. There is a touch of hops right after the malts in the flavor, but they are in the great German tradition of being subtle and balancing to the flavor. The traditional aftertaste of German beers is present in this beer, I believe from the usually hard German water. As far as feel goes, this beer is terrifically smooth and light on the palate with a great drinkability.

Overall, this beer is one of the many reasons that I love German lagers. Incredibly delicious, light and easy to drink, and smooth on the palate are just a few of the reasons that the Germans have their reputation for beer, and this beer is stellar on all counts.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%

A: Golden yellow with a fizzy, but fairly stable head that leaves a bit of lacing. Bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass.

S: Fruit and honey with a bit of spice and a slight hint of hops.

T: Light, fruity, sort of reminiscent of apple sauce with with just the right amount of cinnamon in it, with a light hop bite keeping the sweetness in check. This is a damn tasty beer.

M: Light, but not too light. The carbonation is perfect and the consistency is pleasant.

D: Was down the glass before I knew it. And it tastes great, too! Definitely deserving of a 5 here. So drinkable I barely noticed it was so easy to drink until I was wondering where the hell all the beer in my glass went. This is one of the best summer beers I've ever tried.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

11.2oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

This is a great looking beer. Crystal clear pale golden color. Has a huge fluffy white head and leaves great lacing around the glass.

Smell is very potent. Tart fruits and light hops. Has a slightly sweet toasty smell.

Taste is full of subtle hints of sour apples, grapes and hops. Nice malt sweetness as well.

Very well balanced. A smooth refreshing brew that is not short of taste and complexity. Another great beer from Brauerei Aying.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%

Pale gold color.really nice head with excellant lacing.Nice crisp aroma and flavor.A little citrus,nothing heavy.Thirst quenching,definitely!Last week I tried Ayinger Hefe-Weisse and was very impressed, it was my first of this style ,but definitely not my last of those babies.So ,since I liked that so much when I saw this lager by the same brewery, I had to give it a shot.There was a moment of hesitation when I got home and took the bottles from the four pack and realized there was actually fuzz and dust in the bottom of the carrier.It was then I noticed the layer of dust on the bottles.Uh-oh, in my haste did I just toss my hard earned money away on something that has been sitting around since George W. Bush was only an embarrassment to Texans.Lo, my fears were unwarranted.I don't know how old this brew is , but it was great so I don't care.Give it a try ,it's worth it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance is a bright gold color with moderate lacing and excellent carbonation.

The aroma is of straw and light bread with a wafting hint of lemon peel.

The taste is light bread or cracker and light sweetness with a very slight hint of lemon. The finish is real nice with just a touch of hops. Overall it has a great balance with a real smooth medium body mouth feel and an enjoyable aftertaste. I really enjoyed this and wish I had bought more than one. I will definitely be buying more in the future.

This would also be a great beer to serve up to any BMC drinking friends you have. It has the same look but infinitely better taste. At the same time, it is not a beer with any “new” or overwhelming flavors.

17 oz. Bottle
Pours a straw colored pale yellow with thick white head. Smells of a malty bread and bits of lemon and grapes. There is a flowery nose to this also. Taste is grainy with bits of honey and flowers. There is a good hop balance that doesn't over power this beer. Really good taste to this beer with a nice carbonartion amount. Very tasty with the grains coming back as an aftertaste. Very drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%

A: Jahrhundert boasts a honey colored body and a marvelous white head. The retention is great, but there is no noticeable lacing, and there is a substantial haze in this brew.

S: Biscuity malt and nobel hops promise a delicious flavor to come.

T: And the nose didn't lie; This beer is deliciously dry, exhibiting cereal grain, toast, and nobel hops in the most delicate manner. This is a delicious brew.

M: Body is extremely light, with little in the way of carbonation or residue.

D: An exceptionally drinkable lager, with considerable flavor to boot. I would recommend this to any that believe lagers to be flavorless.

4.6/5  rDev +16.8%

I bought this 500 ml "Hundred-Year Beer" which presented as a blond gold with a two-finger white head. It certainly lives up to it's "helles" appearance.

The smell was a pleasant aroma of floral hops and a bit of citrus coupled with lager yeast notes as well. The taste had a slight spice to it and presented a full and rich body. The color is deceptive, and this was a flavorful brew that had just the right amount of hop and malt flavor. The malt body was slightly sweet, but appetizingly so and not overdone. Everything is very laid back with this beer, but full of rich flavor. The consistency was medium and the carbonation was medium as well.

Well, I was caught off guard by this one, but not at all surprised due to it's namesake. The balance of this beer, excellent flavor, and easy drinkability make this one hell of a good brew. One of the best I've had the privilege of drinking, and highly recommended.

Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying