Ayinger Ur-Weisse | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying
Germany
ayinger-bier.de

Style: Dunkelweizen

“The union of wheaty freshness and dark malt often produces a fullness of taste and complexity”, explains the world-famous English beer commentator Michael Jackson.

This also applies to the Ayinger Urweisse, which is a strong amber-colored, yeast cloudy wheat beer. The beer is strong with the first taste and malty in aroma. The top-fermented, yeasty taste sensation is unmistakable. This beer is rich in sparkle and has just a touch of a special bitter quality. The fruity, malty mild aroma will have you won you over immediately!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

Ratings: 1,158 |  Reviews: 588

1.5/5  rDev -63.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

A real let down for Bavarian beer. Could be since I live in oklahoma and it's hard to get imported german beers. Poured cloudy golden yellow with a thick creamy white head. Looked promising however the taste wasn't there. It wasn't bad just really tasted like carbonated water. I'll stick to Schneider Weisse taps

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: [3.75] Beer is a brownish copper color. It forms a whopping 3+ fingers of head. The head is tight white bubbles that dissipate slowly and leave a think marshmallow fluff of lacing on the glass. The bottle lists the ABV (5.8%). There is no visible date code.

S: [2.50] Herbaceous, pungent banana.

T: [2.25] Follows the nose. More banana

M: [3.50] Not over carbonated. Mediumish feel.

O: [2.50] It has the banana-tastic yeast flavor (that I don't like). This beer is not for me. It highlights one of the flavors I dislike the most in beer. I will pass on this going forward.

2.65/5  rDev -35%

A: Bronze colored body beneath a thick foamy white head. Hints of orange around the edges. No lacing. Head recedes quite quickly.

S: Spicy noble hop aroma. The hops are nice and floral. Only a hint of clove. Nothing else going on here.

T: Light clove and noble hop flavor. No grain flavor.

M: Very light, a bit watery.

O: Not a lot of flavor or aroma in this beer. No grain flavor, very light on esters and phenols, faint hops. It's an imported bottle, no bottle date and no import date. Won't buy it again unless I can try it fresh.

2.69/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance – The head was nice and big with good retention and lacing, but the color is solid orange. Ist das eine dunkles?

Smell – Jahwohl – das ist eine dunkel weitzen. This one has a beautiful, monster yeast aroma that fills my nostrils with memories of Germany. The aroma is one-dimensional and awesome.

Taste – The flavor, on the other hand, didn’t deliver. The yeast all but left the building, and the dunkel aspect was nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel – This is where most bad weizens fail, and this was no exception. Flat doesn’t begin to describe this one.

Sinkability – I can’t believe that this was made in Bayern.

2.7/5  rDev -33.8%

Hazy orange color with a thick light beige head. Some carbonation. This is darker in color than any German Wheat I have had so far. Fruity aroma. I was kind of unimpressed with the taste. There was a definite apple cider feel to it, but it really lacked follow-through. Probably the coolest bottle cap I have seen. What is in the trees, matryoshka dolls?

2.74/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Ayinger Urweisse is quite pure sweetness without bitterness. Short taste, I recommend this if you like sweet beers :)

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

2.89/5  rDev -29.2%

2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

A: Pours a hazy light copper with a bubbly white head. No lacing.

S: Smells kind of musty, like a damp basement, with some lesser aromas of banana and clove.

T: Sort of a sweet bready malt taste with a bit of banana and pepper in the back. It's not bad, but not very exciting.

M: Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation.

D: I've yet to have a dunkel that has impressed me. This isn't a bad beer, but why drink this when you can have an Ayinger hefeweizen?

2.96/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Trademark banana smells/tastes presented, but way too light. Overall quite waterly even if it was medium bodied.

2.97/5  rDev -27.2%

Appearance: Hazy and dark gold (on the lightest end of the dunkelweizen spectrum). The white head is quick to melt down to nothing.

Aroma: Phenols that are equally spicy and sweet/clove-like are immediately noticeable. An unripe fruit aroma with a sulfiric quality suggests infection. May have a bad bottle on my hands.

Taste: Like bananas that have been left out a month too long. Slightly toasted malt is present. Very low bitterness. An overtly sweet caramel taste is distracting, even as a secondary flavor. The malt could be more rich for the style. Altogether, the flavor is rather light, which in this case, may be a good thing!

Mouthfeel: Medium-light, with a watery quality. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Chock full of rotten sweetness. Still manages to be drinkable, however, probably due to the faintness of aroma and taste. Will have to try this again when I can muster the strength, to see if I had a bad bottle.

2.98/5  rDev -27%

This beer was reccomended to me. I'm not that into Dunkelweizens and Weizenbocks but wanted to give it a try, knew it wouldn't break the bank.

Appearance-Very cloudy dark orange. Can see tons of carbonation, with bubbles floating up for a while. Lots of head, 3 fingers of white.

Smell-I really get alot of Banana and some spice. Can get some fig/rasion as well. The more i keep sniffing I'm really just getting the banana and spice.

Taste-Like the smell, I get alot of banana and spice. I really get the yeasty, bread characteristic as well.

Mouthfeel-Lots of carbonation, a little bit too much for me. Leaves a lasting yeast taste in my mouth.

Overall-Warm spring day, very pleasant drink. Very drinkable but very gassy. After pouring my next 10 oz or so I really stop tasting anything and feel like I'm drinking a light beer. I'm a huge hophead and it's like drinking a hazy, orange beer without any hops.

Definitely going to try some more of this style to do more comparing and contrasting. But right now, this isn't for me.

Could've fooled me, this dunkel tasted like a normal hefe. Light, airy head that dissipates slightly towards the end. Strong banana characteristics that I like. I paid the usual, 2.59 at hollingshead. I really wish there was a way I could get these German hefes a little cheaper.

I’m in a bad mood, so this beer better be good. I won’t even begin to try and figure out how to pronounce it, but in the preliminary research I did… I want to go to Germany. If nothing more than the stein filled with beer. If I ever do (and I will) make it to Germany, I will make sure to go during Oktoberfest. They have celebrations here in the states, but there is NO WAY they are the same as those Europeans. Anyway, on with the beer.

The nose on this this is HUGE. It smacked me in the face before I could even pour a glass of this stuff. It has a very familiar nose, similar to a Blue Moon or any other wheat beer you might find. But after a sip of this stuff, I will never enjoy a Blue Moon again.

There are subtle similarities… but the aftertaste is so much smoother than that of a Blue Moon (and I use Blue Moon as that’s the most popular wheat beer here in the United States.) The ABV is a bit higher than a Blue Moon, but it’s not obvious. The aftertaste is quick, but the smoothness makes up for it. You are hit with hints of spice (a weak spice at that) long after the beer has been swallowed.

There is a slight carbonation on the back half of the tongue, but just like the aftertaste it’s quick. The smoothness of this beer makes up for anything else that could go wrong. It’s a lot better than a Blue Moon, and I would totally buy another bottle of this. But I really want to drink this out of a HUGE beer stein. Let’s make that happen this October, shall we? Bottoms up people!

Poured from a 500 ml bottle. Left a billowy three finger head that rather quickly dissappeared, leaving only a foam ring around the edges, and left no lacing. Body was a cloudy light brownish yellow, like cloudy apple cider. Looks okay, would like more head retention.

Smell - apples, plums, overripe fruits.

Taste - same as the smell. Apples, plums, and overripe fruits.

Mouthfeel - halfway between full and thin, fairly smooth, medium carbonation.

Drinkability - this is decent, but not great. Goes down decently, but its taste will fall apart if it gets too warm, which I think could happen a lot on a hot day, and is too bad because a wheat beer should be a summer drink...It's not bad, but I won't visit it often.

Ayinger Ur-Weisse from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying