Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

YOUR RATING = None |

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-15-2001

Reviews: 1,045 | Ratings: 2,410
2.97/5  rDev -24.6%

I wasn't crazy about this beer. It has a nice amber appearance, decent lacing. But the smell and taste were too sweet for me: there's an overwhelming caramel character that is just too much for me. Not bad, but this is definitely a sipping beer. Reminds me of one of those mochiato type drinks you get at Starbucks.

Review from notes

Appearance: dark amber with a 1 finger white head

Nose: wheaty, cereal, caramel malts

Taste: spicy hops, sweet molasses, very rich flavor

Reviewed 10/4/2008 (Draft @ Gingerman, Houston, TX):

Pours an amber color body, some orange. Whitish head, small and diminishing. Malty sweet aroma, fruity, but not very strong. Fruity, flowery, and malty taste. Some light fruity, malty taste. Not too bad, kinda tasty.

Half liter bottle from Winter Haven ABC. Good beer, but tasted more like an Euro-lager version of Oktoberfest than I'm used to. Could it be that German marzens are that much different than the American versions? likely....

3.02/5  rDev -23.4%

A very BMC like look to it. A darker golden color with a fizzy head that dissipates quickly. A minute amount of lacing. Hmm, did I accidentally pour a Budweiser?

Lightly sweet biscuity/bready nose with a hint of spice. Pretty average smell.

Light malt sweetness with biscuit and cookie notes. A touch of spicy and earthy hops.

The carbonation is fizzy, the body feels a bit watered down. Finishes dry.

After reading all of the positive things about this beer, I have to wonder what I am missing. This is an average beer overall at best and that's not even to speak for its ranks in the style. Lacks in so many areas that I can't believe the overall rating that it holds. I won't be reaching for this one again.

3.04/5  rDev -22.8%

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear reddish-copper color. Off-white head is pretty thin.

Smell: Like.... tomato paste? I don't know if it's the spices short-circuiting something in my head or what, but it totally reminds me of tomato paste out of the can. Very weird and disconcerting. There's a sweet-ish malt base to the aroma, though.

Taste: Well, the tomatos are gone and we're left with a flavor of malts, caramel, grains, and a bit of spices and hops, which come out towards the finish and into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and generally smooth. Moderate, soft carbonation.

Drinkability: The smell still disconcerts me...

It's an alright Oktoberfest beer, but I probably won't get it again. There's certainly better ones out there.

3.04/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. Orange colored wih a thin head that fades part way through. Looks artificial.

Smells warm as though I were smelling the spices themselves. Yet it's subtle. Not bad.

Tastes okay. A little thin up front with a bit of flavor part way through. Some spices in the finish, but that's it. Not bad, it a very average Oktoberfest.

Beer was a little too thin, and the flavors disappear quickly. Not much body. Not a great beer mouthfeel-wise.

Overall, you could do a lot worse for Oktoberfest, but you could also do a lot better.

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

Got this Oktoberfest at the liquor store i work for. I got a single 1-Liter light brown bottle for $3.50..or would have been but i got the employee discount :)

Pouring into a Kronenbourg 16oz pilsner glass

Appearance- Golden, orange/yellow. Transparent with a decent amount of ascending carbonation. Head was killed pretty quickly, but was decently frothy to start. it went down to that flat macro-nothing for a head.

Smell- eh, i was a little disappointing with the smell of this beer. classic lager-defining smell, but with a hearty buttery spiced scent. a bit of breadiness.

Taste- I'm glad this beer tastes better than it smells. It's not a very strong taste at all. I'm tasting biscuit, sweet malts, and a usual german lager style taste. Not very forefront with the hops. Tastes kind of like Sam Adams Octoberfest, but less subdued.

Mouthfeel- fairly thin and a touch dry, but with a malty sweetness to it. Medium carbonation and not much or any hop bite.

Overall- I'll be honest, the style I dislike the most is any kind of lager so don't mind a somewhat poor review. If you enjoy lagers you will probably love this beer. I don't regret trying this beer, it wasn't bad, but I would not buy it again. Ayinger makes some great brews and if you like them, buy if you can find it.

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

Reviewed on 9/18/08. Bottle. Pours a clear light orange with a thick white head. Aroma of stale wheat, some sweet malt. Flavor of lots of that stale wheat yeast, which I'm not really a fan of, and some light fruits (apple, pear). Too bland. Not really my style but in my opinion, this isn't one of the better examples of it.
6/3/6/4/13 (3.2/5)

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

Orange amber in appearence with a well retained white head. Light caramel aroma with a very subtle hop character. Very thin mouthfeel with just a hint of caramel in the taste. Not anything to get excited about. Not on the top of my list as far as oktoberfests go. This one seems to be missing the clean sweetness that I have come to expect.

3.06/5  rDev -22.3%

Had the majority of a pitcher of this at the local pub. Pours an amber color with a thick, fluffy head. The aroma is caramel-filled and has just a tad of what I like to call "lager stank." The flavor had the caramel maltiness that I expected, but there is a hop and/or spice presence that just doesn't blend. This is one of the few brews I've had where I have drank enough to actually be totally full of beer and unable to drink anymore, without being drunk. Not a favorite beer here.

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Crystal clear light orange brew with loads of white fluffy head. It looks clean and crisp but it's plain and nothing more then average.

The nose is in a similar league with light touches of malt mixed with a corn scent. Soft and without a great character. Not bad but very close to average.

Taste follows the average pattern with a dull metallic malt flavor and not much else. I can't say this is a great flavorful beer because it isn't. There isn't anything bold or memorable about it.

The mouthfeel steps it up slightly with a solid carbonation. The strong fizz brightens the lazy malt bill and keeps it worth drinking. All in all just an average brew.

3.09/5  rDev -21.6%

Ayinger- Oktober Fest- Marzen

Appearance- Caramel orange/ brown with a thick heavy lacing head.
Smell- Light malt with faint hints of leafy/ earthy hops.
Taste- caramel malt and earthy/ mossy hops.
Mouthfeel- consistant flavor throughout but the body of this is watery. Nothing stands out.

Overall- A decent tasting Marzen but very uneventful. Needs to boost the flavor up a notch.

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

Had this on draft my favorite watering hole (Summits in Sandy Springs).

Appearance: This beer pours a copper color into my barrel mug. The head quickly faded to a few swirls but this seems to be common with this style. The lacing is minimal.

Smell: The nose is malty, a tad flat, and has a caramel finish.

Taste: The taste is sugary malt with a caramel finish. I can detect the grain flavor a bit but it is well balanced overall. A nice “Octoberfest” beer.

Mouthfeel: A medium mouthfeel with minimal carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a good drinkable beer. It reminds me of drinking in a beer garden in Germany. It lacks a little something but whatever it is, its minor. Good beer.

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

Had on-tap with friends recently. It seemed to go very well with a thick bisque.
It’s a light amber color, fairly clear, with a moderately-sized white head. Very slight toasted malt and caramel aroma, with a background of hops. Light sweetness, with a mix of malt and graininess. Notable hop presence in the finish. It’s not a bad beer at all, and certainly quite drinkable. Still, I prefer my marzens to have a bit more toasted malt character. This one’s a little weak.

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

I want to like the various beer from Ayinger, but time and again they tend to underwhelm. Everything is done right I just don't get excited about it. The exception to the rule is their mighty "Celebrator" which I find to be one of the finest beers ever made, but that is a different entry. which leads me to their Oktober Fest-Marzen. There is nothing special here. It is a less than interesting octoberfest. Yet, it is fairly refreshing and only slightly sweet with mild bitterness. Carbonation is low with virtually no head and has an almost oily finish to the mouth. For that reason alone it is very drinkable, but also lacks any zing. However, it does have a decent fruity malty aroma and appropriate deep golden color for the style. Once again they did what was expected to make this beer properly and that is about it. Would I drink it again? Of course. I just wouldn't be excited about it.

3.12/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a light clear golden with a full white head that is gone rather quickly leaving behind no lacing to speak of. This has a fairly significant amount of grass and lemon aromas to it fresh after the pour. As it sits for a short spell, it takes on a nice sweet honey aroma and rich caramel malts. Rather mild on the palatte, but yet not short of complexity. Hay and citrus fruits are first noticeable and are quickly followed with honey. the finish is a little short and light.

3.12/5  rDev -20.8%

A- Pours towards the lighter side of the marzen family. Orange and yellow hues swirl together into a clear amber glow that appears to be very drinkable. The head is big and very frothy which does give it a classic beer sense.

S-Interesting scent to this one. Malty as a marzen should be, but given its light nature, many of the other flavors shine through in the nose. The malts give off a patented caramel and maybe hint of coffee smell, but there are touches of bitter melon and maybe a bit of apple that is welcomed.

M-Pretty much what you would want in an oktoberfest beer. Very crisp, very drinkable...the point is to drink a bunch isn't it?

T-Not my favorite marzen. I prefer a darker, deeper brew as opposed to frothy lighter side. To me the flavors did not meld as well as I would have hoped, and although it was smooth, the bitter fruits overpowered the remainder of the flavors.

O-Ayinger does many things well and unique to their brewery...disappointingly so their oktoberfest is not one of them

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing

S - Not much going on here sweet malt is what stands out for me

T - Like the smell very light but theres some sweetness in the malt

M - This beer was a little thin and watery with medium carbonation to it

D - I was a little disappointed with this beer because of the light flavors and thin body overall just an ok Oktoberfest beer

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

S- Served from a chilled 1 pint .9 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- A light orange color with golden yellow highlights and undertones. about a finger and a half's worth of white head. excellent lacing around the edges of the glass.

S- Definitely a fall beer here. Smells of malt and grain mixed with autumn spices.

T- Took me a while to start enjoying it. Starts off tasting like any other Oktober fest but finishes with a leafy corn flavor.

M- Medium bodied, moderately carbonated.

D- At first the mixtures of flavors threw me off but after I spent some time with it, it turned out to be a pretty solid beer.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

Bought this at the recommendation at the owner of the local beer store. First try at a German October Fest brew. I've had Sam Adams Octoberfest, but I got the sense this is truer to an octoberfest/marzen style.

A: Had a nice pumpkin color with a very generous and decent murky white head. Lacing lasted all the way to the bottom of the glass.

S: Had nice notes of honey and malts.

T: This one was a bit drier than I would have liked. As a result, the mouthfeel and drinkability scored lower than they normally would. I got honey, caramel and nice malt tastes.

M: Due to the dryness of the beer, the mouth feel was a little bit much for me. I enjoy beers with lower carbonation and less hops.

D: Not a hard beer to put away. It has a nice balance of flavor and alcohol.

Probably a great beer for the style, but just not for me at this point of my beer journey.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

Presentation: Label states that is was "brewed in accordance to the "Reinheitsgebot" Purity Law of 1516". I have no way of checking for accuracy but it seems pretty cool.

Appearance: Pours clear amber with yellow edges. A big white fluffly head forms that leaves lacings all down the glass. Strangely, this doesn't look much different than a pale ale to me.

Smell: A bit spicy (coriander and cloves I believe) and somewhat bready. Again, smells like a pale ale.

Taste: Hops are the first thing I taste, some wheat bread taste comes to the surface, and then a bitter finish. A suprising absence of any malt sweetness. I can detect it towards the end of the glass after it warms but I really have to stretch my taste buds to pick up anything like that.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light with a crisp finish.

Drinkability and overall: I am suitably underwhelmed by this beer. Seems no different than a craft pale ale to me. Maybe that's what it should taste like but if I'm in a celebratory, O-fest kind of mode, then why not just break out a nice pale ale. This beer loses me. If you are looking for a unique Oktoberfest beer, I don't think this one is it. A nice beer but nothing out of the ordinary to me.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

Drinking this at the end of October so we'll see how it goes.

Pours a flat head, no retention, nearly light lager body with maybe 2-3 food coloring drops of amber to slightly darken it. Seems a bit light.

Smells and tastes of toffee and caramel. A bit of fruit flavors and virtually no hops to speak of. I have to say this does fit the bill of to style, but when great lakes has mastered this style by adding hops and you know flavor to it, it is hard to be thrilled with a traditional german attempt at it.

All that said this one is very drinkable. It is going to be a malt heads go to beer in many cases, but I don't see why this is a fall seasonal nor am I impressed. just another ok beer that's lost among the crowd.

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a brilliant clear orange, with a large white head that lasts, lacing nicely. Aroma is all malt - some toast, lots of raw smelling grain, and a tiny bit of sweetness. Flavor is of sweet and raw graininess, maybe a bit of hoppiness in the finish. On the medium side of thin for the body, medium amount of carbonation. Overall it is ok, but seems to be missing something to me.

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 1-pint .9 oz. brown bottle into a tall slender mug. Bunch of notching on bottom of front label gives no freshness date.
5.6% ABV noted on label.

Appearance: dark gold, pale orange colored body with billowing white small-bubbled head remains craggy and towering for a while. The head slowly breaks down to form sticky lacing while carbonation bubbles dance around the top of my glass.

Smell: subtle grain sweetness along with candied, liquored figs.
Little to no hop presence in the nose.

Taste: sweet cereal grains are immediately met by hop bitterness. Sweet tea like flavors along with caramel and hop bite.

Mouthfeel: well balanced with smooth carbonation. Body is a bit on the thin side with an astringent aftertaste. Would love to have more complexity and body.

Drinkability: enjoyable and sessionable, but fairly middle-of-the-road. Will definitely try again, just no big hurry.

Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying