Ayinger Weizenbock | Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying

ayinger-bier.de

Style: Weizenbock

Added by shbobdb on 06-09-2007

2.99/5  rDev -28.5%

Murky burnt orange color topped with much smaller head than I was expecting.

The aroma is sweet and a little citrusy - probably bitter orange is the best comparison I can think of. Some bubblegum as well but it's definitely in the background.

The flavor is a bit of a letdown. Watery and more bitter than I was expecting. Fortunately the bitterness doesn't linger, unfortunately neither does the flavor. There's some brightness in the flavor that again brings to mind citrus but it's not really tart. Some sweetness as well but I'm just not finding the weizen flavors that I would expect in a weizenbock.

The carbonation is fairly prickly and the mouthfeel on the week side. Overall it just doesn't do much for me.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Cloudy orange with a little golden head. fades away quickly

S- strong bananas and clove. but also some spicy wheat notes coming though.

T- crisp and dry with the fruit hiting the tounge first and finishing with a spicy clove aftertaste. very good combo

M- Clean and not sticky at all. other beers i have had in this style are much more gummy in the mouth.

O- fantastic beer and another winner from ayinger. 7.1% hides very well in this beer making it very easy to drink.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

nice to see this available in Alberta as It was on my want list forever...now it's on my got list..woohoo.

Looks great. Poured into my weisen glass it had a hazy/cloudy faded peach colour with a very rich white head.

Aroma was nice as well, especially after the beer warmed a bit. Lot's of esters, fruitiness, and spiciness that mesh well together.

Lot's of ripe banana up from, a nice fruitiness, and then a decent dose of spiciness. Finishes a bit on the sticky sweet side.

Nice, medium full body. Smooth as a baby's you know....

Love it. It's my reach to beer even with the 7.1ABV. I think the sticky sweetness would prevent me from having more than 2 at a time. Someone said it's a Hefe Weizen on steroids and I have to agree.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

500ml bottle poured into tulip 29/11/11

A hazy golden orange with just enough clarity to see the bubbles feeding a large three finger head that slowly falls to a thin film leaving unorganized lace

S strong smell of banana, bubblegum and clove, I pick up on some other tropical fruits too but can't quite place it, there's some dry cereal and zero booze

T I'm quite pleased by the fact the taste mimics the smell, just a little more cereal and a little less tropical fruit, super tasty stuff

M enters silky and on the edge between creamy and foam, faint flavors linger for a while

O great stuff being brewed in Aying, I sucked this one back in no time and even my lady liked it

a hefe on steroids and just perfect for this chilly evening, the price is right and this may be in my regular line up for a couple months

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

A: A hazy orange color with a thick white, fluffy head.

S: A sweet malt and wheat beer aroma with some citrus and floral aromas.

T: Some bock-like flavors initially with a sweet and almost caramel malt flavor that gives way to a clove, wheat and citrus flavor.

M: medium bodied with good carbonation. A nice smoothness to the beer from the wheat.

O: Nicely crafted beer. I've had some bad weizenbocks in the past that have not been that good. Most are darker. I like the light and refreshing quality of this beer. It's almost like an Imperial Hefe. Very nice.

Ayinger Weizenbock from Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying