Superfly I.P.A. | Oaken Barrel Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by kmpitz2 on 12-02-2004

1.04/5  rDev -73.6%

1.75/5  rDev -55.6%

For the life of me, I don't know why people think this is a good tasting beer or any IPA for that matter. Its gross and that is my opinion. Makes my joints swell up from gout and irritates the lining of my stomach due to the hops.
The one good thing, one doesn't have to drink a lot to catch a buzz. 7.5% alcohol. But it is still gross!
I have a slopped forehead also. I know what I like and this ain't it!

Peace

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -17.3%

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by Curran yesterday, thanks man.

Pours a dark-ish copper amber color. Doesn't really look like the sort of IPA I generally like. There is a half inch head, and a good amount of webby lacing.

Smells a bit malty, caramelly and whatnot, with some grass, and a hint of citrus. Not getting off to a good start here.

It's ok for an IPA to be balanced, I like that- malt character is important. But this is just malty and only mildly hoppy- and the malt character is not even that interesting. It's your typical sweet, slightly cloying caramel, with some breadiness, with only the slightest smattering of piney hop flavors on top. Just not all that well done, in my opinion.

This one has a body of medium thickness, with a crisp mouthfeel, and a moderate amount of carbonation.

Not that good of an IPA, does nothing to stand out.

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.56/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at Chumley's in Lafayette, Indiana. Notes recorded at time of consumption.

Came to me a deep golden to almost amber hue. Huge head, mostly frothy with good retention and great lacing. Smell was very faint for the style. All hops in the scent, but very diluted. Main component is a big floral burst.

By taste, I was surprised to learn this was not a DIPA. It's a hop bomb, but gets somewhat balanced out by a malt base layer. Very bready after an initial wrecking of taste buds by the hops. Ended with a bite and lingering bitterness. Very carbonated and fairly light for the weight of the flavor and alcohol. Very sessionable.

Overall, I wasn't terribly impressed, but I wasn't disappointed. Great to see a solid brew from somewhat local Hoosier state brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

Growler courtesy of asl187

A: Deep amber near ruby color with good clarity, great webbed lace. the head is good but not great

S: Mostly floral followed by some herbal grassy hops. No citrus really aside from grapefruit and then some pine. there is also some caramel and toasted characteristics

T: Wow this is bitter. Definitely much more towards the english style IPA but it is drinking a pine cone. There is also plenty of bitter grapefruit notes and some caramel character. I do enjoy heavily hopped beers but this one could use a bit more balance

M: Good body and clean feel, no heat and it goes down pretty easy.

D: I am glad i have a friend to help me with the growler because a second glass was all could handle

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%

Received this one in trade from asl187. Props for the hookup!

A - Nice orange color with a thick head forming on the pour. The foaminess sticks around for the full glass, yummy. Nice clarity and color to boot. No lacing or foam left on the glass which would be nice for such a bomb

S - Herbal, citrus hints but predominantly malt based aroma. Looks like all the hops were used to bitter this puppy

T - Very Nice (in Borat voice). The bitterness is nicely supported by the malt backbone that was evident in the aroma. Nice lingering hop flavor on the tongue. Herbal and come citrus notes are dominant throughout the taste.

M - For something that is this bitter(100 IBU) there should really be a donkey punch to the back of my tongue...there isn't.

D - This is on the level with a lot of IPAs out there. At 100 IBUs its very bitter, but I could drink a growler by myself. Drinkable, but nothing I'm seeking out with the multitude of options available.

Overall an IPA that would make old school WWF star Jimmy Snuka proud.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Superfly I.P.A. from Oaken Barrel Brewing Company